• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's design a new flag for New Zealand!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MR4001

Today it was announced that New Zealand will be holding a referendum on the changing its flag.

F2XT1YE.png

The current flag of New Zealand

In 2015 there will be a vote to decide on a contender, and then in 2016 a vote on the change.

New Zealand to hold flag referendum in 2016

New Zealand is to hold a binding referendum in 2016 on whether to change the national flag.

The announcement by Prime Minister John Key of the referendum came after his government last month won a third term in a general election.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-29812549

The current flag has been in use since the very early 20th century.

The first flag of New Zealand to be based on the British blue ensign was introduced in 1867 following the Colonial Navy Defence Act 1865, which required all ships owned by colonial governments fly the defaced Royal Navy blue ensign with a Colonial badge. New Zealand did not have a Colonial badge, or indeed a Coat of Arms of its own at this stage, and so the letters "NZ" were simply added to the blue ensign.[7]

In 1869 the First Lieutenant of the Royal Navy vessel HMS Blanche, Albert Hastings Markham, submitted a design to Sir George Bowen, the Governor of New Zealand, for a national ensign for New Zealand. His proposal, incorporating the Southern Cross, was approved.[8] It was initially used only on government ships, but was adopted as the de facto national flag in a surge of patriotism arising from the Second Boer War in 1902. To end confusion between various designs of the flag, the Liberal Government passed the Ensign and Code Signals Bill, which was approved by King Edward VII on 24 March 1902,[9] declaring the flag as New Zealand's national flag. [...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_New_Zealand

Under this flag New Zealand became a Dominion in 1907, and then was given full autonomy in 1947. Thousands of New Zealanders fought under it in both world wars. One-hundred and three Olympic medals have been given under the flag.

But the flag - very similiar to Australia's - features no representation for the Maori, and it harks back to the days of Empire and the Mother Country being in charge. In the 21st century New Zealand is an independent, modern, thriving country. Sure the Queen is still the Queen of New Zealand, but London doesn't call the shots anymore!

Like Australia - with its green and gold and the kangaroo - New Zealand has for a long time had an alternate flag and set of symbols: the silver fern and the kiwi.

3wxVaIS.png

The silver fern flag

6BPvXcW.png

Roundel of the Royal New Zealand Air Force

The silver fern flag is the favourite for an alternative. Prime Minister John Key has stated in the past that it would be his choice. New Zealand sporting teams for a long time have used the colour black and the silver fern as symbols, and the silver fern flag is very popular as an 'unofficial' flag representing New Zealand.

vHdBfPd.png
uErXWEi.png
a6O2q3Y.png

Emblems of New Zealand's national cricket, rugby and football teams, respectively

However, some have voiced concerns that a black flag would be just odd. Some have even cited such a flag's resemblance to Black Standard-influenced flags used by many extreme Islamic groups.

e4KWI1J.png
H42b2we.png
Jqy83ta.png

Various 'banners of jihad'

So, what would you put forward as an alternative flag for New Zealand? Do you think a change is even necessary? Of course, we're not all Kiwis - I'm not - but I think the input of outsiders, as it were, is still helpful - we'll be the intended audience, in a way! Are there many New Zealanders on NeoGAF? What are your thoughts?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_New_Zealand

Here's my entry:

CZk0LF2.jpg

The colours of the current flag combined with the symbolism of the silver fern flag. Retaining the old colours reflects New Zealand's history and continued links with Great Britain (well, the Crown) and Australia; it also means stuff like roundels needn't much change. The fern represents modern New Zealand - a New Zealand symbol for all New Zealanders.

Rich!

oh dear, I'm gonna have to re-do my banners for the australian/nz Nintendo New 3DS launch thread, aren't I?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
They should get rid of the old color pattern, use green blue and white instead. When I think New Zealand, I think water, grass/trees, sky.

Juicy Bob

Here's my entry:

CZk0LF2.jpg

The colours of the current flag combined with the symbolism of the silver fern flag. Retaining the old colours reflects New Zealand's history and continued links with Great Britain (well, the Crown) and Australia; it also means stuff like roundels needn't much change. The fern represents modern New Zealand - a New Zealand symbol for all New Zealanders.
Major League Kiwi?

Seriously though, I think the black version is the nicer looking of the two.

What if a nation had a slightly obscene flag? Would other nations refuse to fly it or televise it? And then could the first nation get all offended that they dare to dishonor them in such a way?

cafemomo

Other than NZ, AUS, and Hawaii, do other places have the British Flag up on the corner?

(bermuda, malvinas, uk virgin islands, etc I know, but those still uk territory)

Alcander

IMO that leaf/frond thing won't display at small resolutions very well. I also think it looks too "modern" (like clip art or something).

6BPvXcW.png

This is actually very nice. I'd like this one.

Flightless bird as the symbol of the airforce. Those guys are such rebels.

On topic:

New Zealanders of Gaf, I want to know about your national identity, specifically how it relates to the British.

Do you see them as some sort of distant land with a superficial connection to NZ? Or there still a deep sense that New Zealanders are from Britain (obviously excluding the rather large Maori population) and thus are and will be very close the UK?

How do you look at the history and the current relationship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom