• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(*)Let's Clear Up Some Misconceptions On PS5 & XSX Specs Shall We.....

Which system do YOU think holds the overall performance advantage?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tsaki

aDQR0EQ.png

Ar¢tos

Next console launch people will act exactly the same using whatever parameter to show their team is better than the other
If there are numbers to compare...
While I have no doubt that Sony will release another console, MS might just release a Windows/iOS/Android app and sell controllers. Xbox might become a HDMI stick for the few that don't have a smart TV at that time.

JackMcGunns

Not all is bad. Next console launch people will know better than to judge solely on Tflop count.

All else equal, running the same tools and developer talent, the Series X does have an edge over PS5. Most games tyically have upwards to 20% higher pixel count for games that support resolution scaling, but better software tools and ease in optimization (Split memory pool vs Unified) has proven once again to trump a slight power advantage. What happened to "We can't measure power with multiplatform games because developers will not take advantage of a given console's strengths" that was the constant theme with PS3 vs 360 or any other generation when the race was close.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
All else equal, running the same tools and developer talent, the Series X does have an edge over PS5. Most games tyically have upwards to 20% higher pixel count for games that support resolution scaling, but better software tools and ease in optimization (Split memory pool vs Unified) has proven once again to trump a slight power advantage. What happened to "We can't measure power with multiplatform games because developers will not take advantage of a given console's strengths" that was the constant theme with PS3 vs 360 or any other generation when the race was close.
Wasn't there an agregate of comparisons showing that the advantage was slightly toward ps5 ?Because frankly those advantages have been so over the place and insignificant that I don't think anybody here can clearly decide of a winner even if we don't count the anomalies (game running at a significant different res or framerate and buggy games like tourist or High on life).But nothing has shown a consistant advantage of one console toward the other.

Matsuchezz

I think ms fans eagerly want Microsoft to take the number 1 spot regarding anything. They can’t accept ms sucks and even if Ms would giveaway the next console for free they will be 3rd place still. And rightly so, they have been suffering for 20+ years of mediocre games and lackluster experiences. Sony and Nintendo have proved time and time again content is king. ps5 performance is 2:1 vs cheaper Xbox series S and series x.

JackMcGunns

Wasn't there an agregate of comparisons showing that the advantage was slightly toward ps5 ?Because frankly those advantages have been so over the place and insignificant that I don't think anybody here can clearly decide of a winner even if we don't count the anomalies (game running at a significant different res or framerate and buggy games like tourist or High on life).But nothing has shown a consistant advantage of one console toward the other.

No.

If you measure the games like this:

-PS5 and Series X run pretty much the same and assets are on par, the typical conclusion is that they're equal. *But the Series X has an internal resolution that's higher than the PS5.
-PS5 has a slight advantage in overal framerate over Series X. Conclusion: Advantage PS5. *But the Series X has an internal resolution that's higher than the PS5, therefore should be about equal or advantage Series X if the framerate difference in negligiable. (one or 2 frame drops in cutscenes or non important areas).

Notice how drastically the data can be manipulated? However if you took an agregate of all games running at a higher internal resolution, the Series X, by far, has more games, in fact I challege you to find games that are running at a higher internal resolution on PS5, you can probably count it with one hand, and to be clear, I'm not saying that internal resolution is the only factor to consider, but when you measure multiple GPUs on PCs, it's done on an all else equal basis which was my point, with all else equal (Tools, developer talent, internal resolution) Series X has an advantage even if just a slight one.

Last edited:
I escaped the cult about a couple years later, thankfully.

Damn, reading that OP got me feeling kinda cringe NGL. What a difference a few years make...

And we are still waiting. For maximum Xbox activation of super duper RDA3 that will be the beacon of current gen. Once it's fully activated all PS5 owners will sacrifice their consoles to the gods of Xbox and beg Phil for a Series X.

:p

Just kidding but its been pretty crazy and I'm glad the two were proven to be close. That leaves only the games to fight over and that's how it should be.

:)

wnYTz7L.jpg
a9EZXzLW_700w_0.jpg

Sadly, my "Lockhart" concerns were spot on. It's interesting to read through it again with interesting discussions. And the PS5 Pro speculation might end up being true as well, although it wasn't a wild guess to begin with.

You a real one G. Wish I wasn't so gullible to MS's PR at the time; I think after how XBO went down, I honestly wanted to see Xbox do better this generation. It felt like they had a good comeback story coming along, but I should've seen trouble showing up right after that May 2020 event and then the showcase they did that June.

Didn't think those would be the embodiment of the console longer-term, just momentary staggers. I genuinely believed this. And even in the OP I don't think I said anything like wanting Sony/PS5 to fail although, yes, lots of stuff was understated regarding the system in the OP. Should've never doubted Mark Cerny.

Don't think it was until early 2022 when I finally saw that Xbox this gen was just looking like it had no real plan and the console was second-fiddle to Microsoft's gaming goals. And then those gaming goals turning out to be buying up big 3P publishers, push FUD using astroturfers and shills, mislead regulators, engage in hypocritical actions & project that onto Sony & Nintendo (mainly Sony), albatross the Series X with the mistake of the Series S, use slimy political PR tactics to pressure approval for a 3P M&A deal that gave Kotick a reprieve ono his company's workplace problems, and on and on and on.

I genuinely think management at Xbox today is worst than it was during the early XBO years and it's not surprising they are underperforming compared to that system as a result.

I haven't seen this happen to be honest.

It hasn't and it won't for the foreseeable future.

If there are numbers to compare...
While I have no doubt that Sony will release another console, MS might just release a Windows/iOS/Android app and sell controllers. Xbox might become a HDMI stick for the few that don't have a smart TV at that time.

I don't think MS will stop making Xbox hardware altogether. There is probably a lucrative market for them with Xbox as a NUC-style gaming PC line that can run Windows and get regular hardware refreshes every two years, sold at a higher MSRP for bigger profit margins off each unit sold while becoming a full multiplat publisher.

That, expanding into mobile, and some streaming stick would cover all the options and see a much larger increase in gaming revenue & profits vs. trying to keep Xbox around as a traditional console with that associated business model. But right now MS are at a crossroads where they want to have it both ways, and that just isn't possible.

They'll have to choose whether to go all-in on Xbox as a traditional console (meaning scaling back on Day 1 PC releases, scaling back on Day 1 Game Pass, making the biggest IP they own exclusive to Xbox devices, etc.), or move the brand to a PC-like business model and adjust hardware pricing and features to match (and taking everything multiplat outside of the rare timed PC exclusive like a Flight Sim or Gears Tactics, or AOE4).

No.

-PS5 and Series X run pretty much the same and assets are on par, the typical conclusion is that they're equal. *But the Series X has an internal resolution that's higher than the PS5.
-PS5 has a slight advantage in overal framerate over Series X. Conclusion: Advantage PS5. *But the Series X has an internal resolution that's higher than the PS5, therefore should be about equal or advantage Series X if the framerate difference in negligiable. (one or 2 frame drops in cutscenes or non important areas).

Notice how drastically the data can be manipulated? However if you took an agregate of all games running at a higher internal resolution, the Series X, by far, has more games, in fact I challege you to find games that are running at a higher internal resolution on PS5, you can probably count it with one hand, and to be clear, I'm not saying that internal resolution is the only factor to consider, but when you measure multiple GPUs on PCs, it's done on an all else equal basis which was my point, with all else equal (Tools, developer talent, internal resolution) Series X has an advantage even if just a slight one.
Sad Mask GIF by Pudgy Penguins

Well only when new consoles come out but that's a maybe. If they launch around the same time at the same price point they should be similar unless one of them severely messes up the hardwares design.

Well I'm sure PS5 Pro, for example, will be running certain games at native 4K60 when PS5 & Series X can probably at best do 1440p60, all effects being even between the systems otherwise.

Series S, I think it should've been Project Keystone the whole time. A streaming-based game console for $149 or even $199 in 2020 as a truly cheaper option to $499 Series X and $399/$499 PS5, with opt-in choice to run certain games natively (likely smaller indie games that don't need a lot of horsepower) would've been the way to go. No stupid parity clause for Series S & X (of course MS would still keep the Series X/PS5 parity clause but at least that is one devs can actually make happen without too much effort), cheaper production for the lower-end system overall (and higher profit margins I'd imagine). It would've been better able to take advantage of the streaming boon too during the lockdown period.

This really should've been an obvious way to go for Xbox but instead they went with Series S. Even at the time that system was revealed, something did feel off to me. I just tried not being too critical of it and was more willing to take PR talking points at face value. Didn't take too long for a myriad of problems to form showing Series S was not a good idea long-term.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
No.

Using that exact same logic it is also impossible to know what's the overhead when a console is locked and the other isn't as it is often seen, wich is manipulating the data just as much the main difference being that you chose that this was OK.Now loof at the countless games that have the same res yet have either a slight advantage on effects or framerate on ps5 vs XSX yet you are quick to dismiss those too.But that 20% better resolution is to take at face value according to you, even when it is not reflected in most games, even Digital Foundry have been arguing that the TF counts have backfired for Xbox so maybe the advantage isn't as clear as you think it is.Maybe your bias is clouding your reasonning on that topic.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I think, when we look back on this era in the gaming industry, the full travesty of how MS have handled the Series X will become very apparent.

It is objectively a great console. An easy rival for the Ps5. It does some things better, and it does some things worse. But by and large they are very equal.

...only the Series X is stuck with a retarded little brother, and a company that doesn't think that games sell consoles.

My Series X is sat gathering dust, and it fucking shouldn't be. It should have a whole load of exclusive games available on it, that can't be played anywhere else, and that stretch and push the limits of the console's power and architecture.

Instead there's fuck all that can't be played on the moronic Series S or PC. And there's nothing on the horizon - absolutely nothing - to persuade anyone to buy a Series X.

Absolute travesty of mismanagement and poor decision making.

Last edited:
Well I'm sure PS5 Pro, for example, will be running certain games at native 4K60 when PS5 & Series X can probably at best do 1440p60, all effects being even between the systems otherwise.

Series S, I think it should've been Project Keystone the whole time. A streaming-based game console for $149 or even $199 in 2020 as a truly cheaper option to $499 Series X and $399/$499 PS5, with opt-in choice to run certain games natively (likely smaller indie games that don't need a lot of horsepower) would've been the way to go. No stupid parity clause for Series S & X (of course MS would still keep the Series X/PS5 parity clause but at least that is one devs can actually make happen without too much effort), cheaper production for the lower-end system overall (and higher profit margins I'd imagine). It would've been better able to take advantage of the streaming boon too during the lockdown period.

This really should've been an obvious way to go for Xbox but instead they went with Series S. Even at the time that system was revealed, something did feel off to me. I just tried not being too critical of it and was more willing to take PR talking points at face value. Didn't take too long for a myriad of problems to form showing Series S was not a good idea long-term.

I don't even believe a streaming stick is necessary. All they would need is an APP and then people can just buy a Bluetooth controller and just play games with it.

Playing games natively is much better than streaming though which is why I believe the XSS exists.

Although I do agree there's some issues with that platform which several devs have mentioned (Larian and Epic for example).

onQ123

Not all is bad. Next console launch people will know better than to judge solely on Tflop count.
They should have known better this time around it was laid out for them

JackMcGunns

Using that exact same logic it is also impossible to know what's the overhead when a console is locked and the other isn't as it is often seen, wich is manipulating the data just as much the main difference being that you chose that this was OK.Now loof at the countless games that have the same res yet have either a slight advantage on effects or framerate on ps5 vs XSX yet you are quick to dismiss those too.But that 20% better resolution is to take at face value according to you, even when it is not reflected in most games, even Digital Foundry have been arguing that the TF counts have backfired for Xbox so maybe the advantage isn't as clear as you think it is.Maybe your bias is clouding your reasonning on that topic.

I don't think you read my post entirely, I said "All else equal" and in fact it's what DF pointed out that in a normal case scenario, TF do matter when comparing the same architecture, but different tools and a closed platform changes the dynamic. Of course there could be a backfire from a marketing standpoint if you're expected to perform at a 12 vs 10 TF and you're not showing the advantage, that was the point, not that there's not advantage at all or that somehow PS5 is better at raw compute, that's just not the case.

Just my point of view.

Each system has their strengths and weaknesses. Neither one is superior to the other in every single way. Some software likes the PS5 hardware better while others prefer the XSX. And even then there are titles that flip flop on performance depending on the workload. The two are very close which is why we are seeing this.

Also we are well into current gen. I don't think its reasonable to expect any massive changes given all the results that we have already seen.

Anyone wanting a massive difference either sticks with PC or has to wait until future consoles release. But even with the second option there's no guarantee of a big difference between the two.

In the end I don't think the two being close is a bad thing especially for developers. It makes it easier for them if they are close. The issue occurs when one platform has a severe weakness compared to another platform. An example can be systems like the Switch or the XSS in some cases.

Edit:

I own two Switches. A launch model and an OLED Switch. I love them both but I recognise the lack of power can stop some titles from coming to it. But I mostly bought them for 1st party titles of which many are excellent.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I don't think you read my post entirely, I said "All else equal" and in fact it's what DF pointed out that in a normal case scenario, TF do matter when comparing the same architecture, but different tools and a closed platform changes the dynamic. Of course there could be a backfire from a marketing standpoint if you're expected to perform at a 12 vs 10 TF and you're not showing the advantage, that was the point, not that there's not advantage at all or that somehow PS5 is better at raw compute, that's just not the case.
Oh I was wondering what you meant by thaty, sure if all other metrics are the same it would show an andvantage, but there's enough difference in those systems that there's really no clear winner this gen, just like we can see in most comparison, it is basically a heads or tail situation except with very slight differences.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Just my point of view.

Each system has their strengths and weaknesses. Neither one is superior to the other in every single way. Some software likes the PS5 hardware better while others prefer the XSX. And even then there are titles that flip flop on performance depending on the workload. The two are very close which is why we are seeing this.

Also we are well into current gen. I don't think its reasonable to expect any massive changes given all the results that we have already seen.

Anyone wanting a massive difference either sticks with PC or has to wait until future consoles release. But even with the second option there's no guarantee of a big difference between the two.

In the end I don't think the two being close is a bad thing especially for developers. It makes it easier for them if they are close. The issue occurs when one platform has a severe weakness compared to another platform. An example can be systems like the Switch or the XSS in some cases.

Edit:

I own two Switches. A launch model and an OLED Switch. I love them both but I recognise the lack of power can stop some titles from coming to it. But I mostly bought them for 1st party titles of which many are excellent.
That was my point beside a dev fucking up or barely working on X or Y version they are very fucking close.For the Switch I do wonder sometimes some studios manage to get something impressive on it, then we get something like the last pokémons that are atrocious and you have to wonder if they just didn't want to work on it enough to produce something good or are the dev doing wonders on it working some bglack magic somewhere sacrificing virgins.

Oh I was wondering what you meant by thaty, sure if all other metrics are the same it would show an andvantage, but there's enough difference in those systems that there's really no clear winner this gen, just like we can see in most comparison, it is basically a heads or tail situation except with very slight differences.

Honestly what matters in the end is what we experience. Theories about the perfect situation to achieve maximum performance doesn't usually apply to our actual experience.

DJ12

Absolute travesty of mismanagement and poor decision mamaking.
Is it though? They can easily pull out of hardware next gen, the ground work is laid already. Xcloud and native pc, ps and Nintendo apps and Microsoft will make far more money then they ever would from xbox being a console and being forced to restrict sales to rival, much more popular systems.

I think they are ripe for going software only.
What’s funny is that shills wanted us to believe that the Series S would outperform the PS5.

Mesh shaders, VRS, Velocity architecture and all those buzzwords didn’t do a damn good thing.
Ah, vrs the technology so good I'd sooner have 0.5 less of an fps rather than reduced image quality.

Vrs should stay in VR headsets where there's eye tracking. Everywhere else it's pointless.

Top Bottom