• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(*)Let's Clear Up Some Misconceptions On PS5 & XSX Specs Shall We.....

Which system do YOU think holds the overall performance advantage?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Filippos

Banned
XSX is generally more powerful. But when Booty talks, you listen:

3t85jp.jpg

That will be VERY decisive, and should hinder 3rd party next gen games for 2 years.

This is factually wrong. Why is it allowed to spread fake news here? Lol

he clearly said that FOR XBOX GAMES CREATED BY XBOX STUDIO for the FIRST YEAR OF THE LAUNCH OF XBOX SERIES X CONSE they need to work on Xbox one too.

so:

XBOX STUDIOS ONLY- NOT THIRD Party. 3Rd party can create games exclusively for Xbox series X. No worries.

and it’s only for the first year of the console.

so, let’s keep it to the facts please.

Vroadstar

Everyone bookmark this post.

You think one is running 30fps and the other 60fps when the gsp this time is less than half that between PS4 and XB1, which never had such a dramatic difference,?

You've just exposed yourself with that post boy oh boy...

Yes that's so weird thing to say, PS4 and Xbox 40% difference we didn't see anything like PS4 60fps while Xbox 30fps, yet PS5 vs Xsex with 20% difference FPS will double for X?

I'd rather have the system that provides the best experience from a technical perspective.

SX has by far the clearer advantage. It'll be interesting to see if games are at 4k60fps on it and 4k30fps on PS5.
Yes, that seems very likely, that 16% more terraflops will result in 100% increase of fps instead of like, slightly increased graphics settings 🧐

Excellent analysis!

Doubt its 25% lol
I just read that PS5 has 20% better rasterization than Series X.

These are gonna be very close in perf despite what the fanboys are desperately trying to claim.
Too many assumptions in your post. Cerny and Sony started work on this hardware over 5 years ago. Until we know real performance, not console war childish flops, we have no idea which is the better designed console or who was caught with their pants down and dick up.

This is near-Trumpian levels of bullshit gaslighting. I commend you, and lament the morons that will fall for this.

Tqaulity

Anybody could have made that connection, I did without any incite from any of these people. It's not some crazy prospect, a 2080 is basically an OC'd 1080 Ti with RT hardware.

The reality is the PlayStation 5 is about on par with a 5700 XT Anniversary Edition (sometimes) and the Series X is about on par with a 2080 Super. They're spaced pretty far apart.
Damn...I tried to restrain myself but what reality are you living in bro? The 5700XT AE is roughly 10TFLOPS....of RDNA 1. The PS5 is 10TFLOPS of RDNA2. Not at all the same thing at all.

Now we don’t know exactly how much more efficient RDNA2 is over 1 yet but the glimpse we’ve gotten from the Series X performance Suggest we’re looking at at least 15-20% performance per clock. So yeah PS5 beats a Radeon VIi and is much closer to an RTX 2080 than a 5700XT.

Damn...I tried to restrain myself but what reality are you living in bro? The 5700XT AE is roughly 10TFLOPS....of RDNA 1. The PS5 is 10TFLOPS of RDNA2. Not at all the same thing at all.

Now we don’t know exactly how much more efficient RDNA2 is over 1 yet but the glimpse we’ve gotten from the Series X performance Suggest we’re looking at at least 15-20% performance per clock. So yeah PS5 beats a Radeon VIi and is much closer to an RTX 2080 than a 5700XT.
You probably should have restrained yourself because you just said we don't know what the efficiency improvements are and then went on to list made up percentages.

It might be equally as efficient as RDNA 1.0 while being much more feature capable, fact is you don't know. And even if what you said were true the Series X would scale up as linearly as the PS5 so whatever that performance gap is would remain the same regardless.

Rationalize your thoughts a bit more.

Zannegan

XSX clearly has the advantage, but it's close enough that if PS5 has other interesting features I'm more interested in I might go for that instead.

It should be all about the games, really, but recently I've come to the realization that I don't particularly like the first party output of either company. Both put out 80% chaff and 20% gold as far as my gaming tastes go. It really comes down to whether I want to play the Halo Infinite first or Spiderman 2. *shrug*

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This is factually wrong. Why is it allowed to spread fake news here? Lol

he clearly said that FOR XBOX GAMES CREATED BY XBOX STUDIO for the FIRST YEAR OF THE LAUNCH OF XBOX SERIES X CONSE they need to work on Xbox one too.

so:

XBOX STUDIOS ONLY- NOT THIRD Party. 3Rd party can create games exclusively for Xbox series X. No worries.

and it’s only for the first year of the console.

so, let’s keep it to the facts please.

How about you start by not spreading misleading BS. Hear it from this Xbox fanboy and google it:

3rd party studios will aim for PS5 then port it to Xbox SX, easy. The difference is laughable at 14.8%, which translates to 9fps MAX if it uses 100% of XSX hardware. But guess what? When you aim for solid, locked 60fps, you put a headroom to keep it solid (~70fps). Where do you think they'll optimized that? Yes, on PS5, or at worst scenario on Xbox One fat.

Real world difference between 2080 (10.1 TF) and 2080ti (13.4 TF)

And that's not optimized for 60fps locked. The gap between 2080 and 2080ti is 24.6%, the gap between PS5 and XSX is 14.8%, and that's with huge difference in ram and SSD. XSX ram is unbalanced, 10GB at 560GB/s, 3GB at 336GB/s for games and 3GB at 336GB/s that needs to fight the crappy windows-based API. PS5 is in between but unified: 16GB at 448GB/s for all. PS5 can put less stress on GPU/CPU because of its 5.5GB/s RAW, probably up to 11GB/s compressed SSD like nothing in the market.

Throwing all of that in the shitter, PS5 can run at 1840p (or 1800p) with its smart checkerboarding vs native 2160p at the same set up (ultra/high) with the same fps or better.

You better be prepared for the shock, rumored BOM for PS5 is $450, for XSX around $520. If Phil even suggests he'll sell it for $400 next day he'll sleep at home, PS5 can push to $400. PC gamers only buy a handful of games (if any) from the Xbox Live store and go for Steam, Uplay, EA Origin, Epic Games for the rest, so spare me that part. Most of them would rather pay $10 and play the game/games they wanted within a month and resume on their favorite platforms/ecosystems.

Last edited:
Bwaha keep believing that.

I hate Digital Foundry but lets see this big gap in performance when they do a 3rd party face off. I'm willing to bet the difference will be almost zero, as real world perf is a different thing to tflops numbers in isolation!

Third party games never shows system true potential. So you are right difference will not be huge but XSX will also have performance and fidelity advantage even if its not huge. PS5 will always have load times advantage.

True potential of hardware can only be shown by first party studios. But if MS keep making games for old system then they might not utilize full power of system. PS5 however if ignore ps4 and just follow ps5 then they will have impressive games showcasing ps5 power.

Tqaulity

You probably should have restrained yourself because you just said we don't know what the efficiency improvements are and then went on to list made up percentages.

It might be equally as efficient as RDNA 1.0 while being much more feature capable, fact is you don't know. And even if what you said were true the Series X would scale up as linearly as the PS5 so whatever that performance gap is would remain the same regardless.

Rationalize your thoughts a bit more.
LoL. Wow did you even read my post? I said nothing about comparing PS5 to Xbox Series X and whatever gap they have. I was solely comparing PS5 to 5700 XT.
Second the percentages I used aren’t made up. They are a minimum. AMD has already presented targets for RDNA2 and we have concrete evidence of a PC game running on Xbox Series X with no optimization. There’s plenty to conclude from that info and your suggestion that RDNA2 has no efficiency improvements shows the lack of knowledge you have on the topic so...I will stop there

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Third party games never shows system true potential. So you are right difference will not be huge but XSX will also have performance and fidelity advantage even if its not huge. PS5 will always have load times advantage.

True potential of hardware can only be shown by first party studios. But if MS keep making games for old system then they might not utilize full power of system. PS5 however if ignore ps4 and just follow ps5 then they will have impressive games showcasing ps5 power.

I just wish for Lockhart to be scrapped. 4TF! No please, it can be a good 1080p machine, but can't see it selling less than $350, and most likely PS5 would squeeze down to $400 to counter some of the negativity around, before showing differences are near invisible between the two for 3rd party. XSX would aim for $500 with some loss as well.

Last edited:

Arkage

Banned
I'm wondering... since they've gone two different routes here, but no real discernible difference in pricing.... will they come out at the same price? Used to think Sony would automatically be cheaper but their SSD tech may be costly enough to outweigh the reduction in other areas. Hmm.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It's a stretch to say it's even a tie, who are the blinded people voting that the ps5 is more powerful?

SleepDoctor

Banned
Anybody could have made that connection, I did without any incite from any of these people. It's not some crazy prospect, a 2080 is basically an OC'd 1080 Ti with RT hardware.

The reality is the PlayStation 5 is about on par with a 5700 XT Anniversary Edition (sometimes) and the Series X is about on par with a 2080 Super. They're spaced pretty far apart.

Not really. Wasn't it Osiris that said they were more like a 1080 or something like that lol.

Von Hugh

Not a chance with 'much better'. PS5 may even have the performance advantage as verified dev BGs told us.

Holy astroturfing, Batman.

Only a die hard fan can spin 2 TFLOP difference into performance advantage.

Accept the power gap, and move on with your life if you have one.

psorcerer

Banned
What exactly does “faster” even mean? If it means better frame rate and resolution, that’s going to be XSX, period.

"Faster" means producing better looking environments.
Quake 2 and Minecraft are still Quake 2 and Minecraft even with 8k@120fps and raytracing.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

This is near-Trumpian levels of bullshit gaslighting. I commend you, and lament the morons that will fall for this.
Well I read people claiming its 25% stronger, people fall for that stuff so I replied whether its a troll or not lol... its a forum...

20% of 12 is 3tflops

A bit like how PS5 CUs are 20% faster than Xbox series X Cus lol 2.2ghz x 1.8ghz lol

Dat MegaDrive love doe :goog_love:

I'm wondering... since they've gone two different routes here, but no real discernible difference in pricing.... will they come out at the same price? Used to think Sony would automatically be cheaper but their SSD tech may be costly enough to outweigh the reduction in other areas. Hmm.

Yeah, I'm starting to think they will be similarly priced. At most, Sony comes in $50 cheaper. Honestly they would not have any issue with PS5 @ $499, at least for the first year. People who want it are going to buy it regardless.

Anyways, on the general topic of unique features of PS5 and XSX, I think it's clear by now we can't downplay the speed and possibility of PS5's faster SSD. That WILL enable some things on PS5 that will be very difficult to replicate on XSX, hands down.

HOWEVER, I think we shouldn't downplay XSX's CU advantage either. I've seen everyone referring to the GPU for simply graphics-orientated tasks, but these systems are actually excellent for GPGPU (general purpose GPU) programming tasks as well. Non-graphics tasks that are friendly to scalability and parallelism can take advantage of the GPU processing for things such as physics, AI, logic, and other non-graphical tasks. In fact we saw this with PS4, and we'll see it with both systems next-gen.

With that said, XSX has a pretty clear advantage on this front, with the extra 16 CUs. That gives it a near 2 TF extra throughput for GPGPU tasks that the PS5 simply cannot replicate without toning down processing in some other area, such as graphical complexity and/or graphical fidelity. Using the GPU for non-graphics tasks also helps free up the CPU from those tasks, so that can give the CPU freedom for either yet MORE non-graphics tasks, pushing framerates, or a mix of both.

This is as much an advantage for XSX as the SSD is for PS5, IMHO, and worth taking into consideration. Of course, smart utilization of it will be up to how well devs can achieve parallelism in their programming tasks to saturate the GPU, which might be a challenge. It might also be a feature you see more from 1st-party than 3rd-party. The good thing is that many non-graphical tasks are scalable themselves, so that could help devs in pushing for GPU saturation.

I'm interested if MS will start to talk more about this; again PS5 can do all of these same things but the lack of the other 16 CUs XSX has DOES mean it will be less capable of it without sacrificing on some areas to do so. At some point in the future I'd like to look into some scenarios of how the PS5 SSD/ XSX CUs advantages can play out for games specifically targeting the respective strengths of their hardware.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Dat MegaDrive love doe :goog_love:

Yeah, I'm starting to think they will be similarly priced. At most, Sony comes in $50 cheaper. Honestly they would not have any issue with PS5 @ $499, at least for the first year. People who want it are going to buy it regardless.

Anyways, on the general topic of unique features of PS5 and XSX, I think it's clear by now we can't downplay the speed and possibility of PS5's faster SSD. That WILL enable some things on PS5 that will be very difficult to replicate on XSX, hands down.

HOWEVER, I think we shouldn't downplay XSX's CU advantage either. I've seen everyone referring to the GPU for simply graphics-orientated tasks, but these systems are actually excellent for GPGPU (general purpose GPU) programming tasks as well. Non-graphics tasks that are friendly to scalability and parallelism can take advantage of the GPU processing for things such as physics, AI, logic, and other non-graphical tasks. In fact we saw this with PS4, and we'll see it with both systems next-gen.

With that said, XSX has a pretty clear advantage on this front, with the extra 16 CUs. That gives it a near 2 TF extra throughput for GPGPU tasks that the PS5 simply cannot replicate without toning down processing in some other area, such as graphical complexity and/or graphical fidelity. Using the GPU for non-graphics tasks also helps free up the CPU from those tasks, so that can give the CPU freedom for either yet MORE non-graphics tasks, pushing framerates, or a mix of both.

This is as much an advantage for XSX as the SSD is for PS5, IMHO, and worth taking into consideration. Of course, smart utilization of it will be up to how well devs can achieve parallelism in their programming tasks to saturate the GPU, which might be a challenge. It might also be a feature you see more from 1st-party than 3rd-party. The good thing is that many non-graphical tasks are scalable themselves, so that could help devs in pushing for GPU saturation.

I'm interested if MS will start to talk more about this; again PS5 can do all of these same things but the lack of the other 16 CUs XSX has DOES mean it will be less capable of it without sacrificing on some areas to do so. At some point in the future I'd like to look into some scenarios of how the PS5 SSD/ XSX CUs advantages can play out for games specifically targeting the respective strengths of their hardware.

I changed the reaction to brain as it felt insulting with all that great usual essay :messenger_winking_tongue:

Thiccness aside, do you think Sony going for like 1840p (1800p) without putting into account SSD's and Sony's trickery, should that mean they should bring equal results in but XSX being more sharper at 4K?

I changed the reaction to brain as it felt insulting with all that great usual essay :messenger_winking_tongue:

Thiccness aside, do you think Sony going for like 1840p (1800p) without putting into account SSD's and Sony's trickery, should that mean they should bring equal results in but XSX being more sharper at 4K?

I guess you mean in regards to checkberboarding to simulate 4K? It's definitely going to be a thing next gen, on both systems even. Especially as graphics fidelity and complexity increases. Just look at how PS4/XBO games went from native 1080p to lower resolutions and using reconstruction techniques later down the gen as graphics complexity increased. Same thing will happen with the next-gen systems.

The SSD in PS5 will help in maintaining certain graphical quality and mitigate some of the expected drops later in the gen in terms of native resolutions coming down. It will definitely help with things such as close player-proximity texture asset streaming being maintained at a high quality rate, for one example.

DrDamn DrDamn Fixed 👍

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
This is misinformation.

TFLOPS are theoretical max performance or floating point operations a given GPU can achieve. Calculated by number of cores x max clock speed x 2. Even if you have a sustained locked clock, your GPU is not processing X amount of data every given cycle, sometimes its less and sometimes its close to the theoretical TFLOP number but never exact. No GPU or processor is 100% efficient at it. It varies based on type of work and workload.

On PS4 and Xbox One, they used the same design philosophy, The design philosophy is different between XSX and PS5.

XSX is this is your max sustained clock, draw as much power as you can given the workload you are doing from our X rated power supply. Max being 12.155TF

PS5 is this is your power budget vary your clock speed based on the workload you are doing to achieve the job. Max being 10.28TF

Last edited:

sinnergy

Two things about this sdd viewport streaming comment. Its not exclusive to PS5 and I'll tell you why.

1. The XSeX is said to be capable of 4.8 GB/s compressed sdd loading. In half a second that gives you 2.4GB of compressed data you can swap out, just 1.6 GB shy of what Cerny said would be required for nextgen games on the ps5.

2. The XSeX features machine learning assisted smart loading of PORTIONS of assets in view with the Sampler Feedback Streaming feature. See below.

Sampler Feedback Streaming (SFS) – A component of the Xbox Velocity Architecture, SFS is a feature of the Xbox Series X hardware that allows games to load into memory, with fine granularity, only the portions of textures that the GPU needs for a scene, as it needs it. This enables far better memory utilization for textures, which is important given that every 4K texture consumes 8MB of memory. Because it avoids the wastage of loading into memory the portions of textures that are never needed, it is an effective 2x or 3x (or higher) multiplier on both amount of physical memory and SSD performance.

I don't understand how so many are missing the point here.

This more or less means, if it works, that where the PS5 may require 4 GBs of asset data to display a changing scene, the XSeX may need no more than 2 GBs....

Meaning their streaming rate as the viewport changes would be able to keep up with what PS5 is doing because it's effectively leaner to display a scene.

Am I the only to pick up on this or did I completely misunderstand something in the I/O breakdowns?
Others won’t see it, if you have your eyes closed 🤣

So far this gen they turned out very equal.
Surprising to me, I was very worried about ps5 being able to keep up but was very happy to be wrong considering so far this gen I've probably spent 75% of my time on ps5.

A lot of people interpreted the github leak wrong. I honestly thought the XSX would destroy the PS5. But thankfully that didn't happen which was the best outcome for consumers. No buyers remorse no matter which system you get is fantastic.

Top Bottom