• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lawsuit Claims Race Bias at Wet Seal Retail Chain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bolshevik

Banned
Okay but how to do you solve the issue of prejudice within work spaces?
By creating a well educated populace that understands that the myelin in someone's skin and someone's bone structure and skin texture have nothing to do with someone's character and intelligence. Part of that begins with equal education. This can also be combated with laws that punish racism like in the OP. This still leaves the immediate problem of more subtle racism, however I think the education part will help with that over time. Racism is a serious problem, but thinking of quick fixes like racist programs are not the solution. Just wondering, how would you combat racism in a non racist way? Or do you think racism in the work place requires racist programs to stop it?

Alucrid

Banned
Explain to me then how it works? My understanding is that it is meant to help portions of a population that have been historically disadvantaged for unjust reasons. I think there are non racists ways about doing that. There fore I disagree with types of affirmative action that use race as a determinant for benefits. Affirmative action is a broad topic and I'm sure there are programs that aren't racist, but many of the programs I have seen are. Ex. College scholarships or workforce race quotas.

Most of the scholarships I assume you're arguing against are private ones.

What does that have to do with affirmative action?

That was all he was arguing against.

:|

By creating a well educated populace that understands that the myelin in someone's skin and someone's bone structure and skin texture have nothing to do with someone's character and intelligence. Part of that begins with equal education. This can also be combated with laws that punish racism like in the OP. This still leaves the immediate problem of more subtle racism, however I think the education part will help with that over time. Racism is a serious problem, but thinking of quick fixes like racist programs are not the solution. Just wondering, how would you combat racism in a non racist way? Or do you think racism in the work place requires racist programs to stop it?

I guess we can start here. Melanin.

Orayn

By creating a well educated populace that understands that the myelin in someone's skin and someone's bone structure and skin texture have nothing to do with someone's character and intelligence.

Melanin, myelin is in nerves. :p

Part of that begins with equal education. This can also be combated with laws that punish racism like in the OP.

And you think we don't do this already?

By creating a well educated populace that understands that the myelin in someone's skin and someone's bone structure and skin texture have nothing to do with someone's character and intelligence. Part of that begins with equal education. This can also be combated with laws that punish racism like in the OP. This still leaves the immediate problem of more subtle racism, however I think the education part will help with that over time. Racism is a serious problem, but thinking of quick fixes like racist programs are not the solution. Just wondering, how would you combat racism in a non racist way?Or do you think racism in the work place requires racist programs to stop it?

It's funny how you think measures to ensure that minorities also get a fair shake are racist.

Bolshevik

Banned
Most of the scholarships I assume you're arguing against are private ones.

:|
I'm not sure how it is now but I know that many public schools used to look to make race quotas in thier student acceptance. However not sure if that's still how it is. However even if it's private does that mean they can be racist? I'm pretty sure that was cleared up when privately run businesses couldn't refuse service to people based on race. As far as I understand, it's against the law.

Bolshevik

Banned
It's funny how you think measures to ensure that minorities also get a fair shake are racist.
I never said that. If I did quote me and I'll clear up the misunderstanding because I do not believe that. And do you disagree with my suggestions of combating racism in a non racist way? And from your hostility I would guess ÿøü think I'm a racist, I can assure you I'm not.

But those measures could, in theory, inconvenience a privileged majority! That means they're MAXIMUM RACIST have to be eliminated.

Those minorities are stealing my shit. Who cares if I haven't actually earned it, in some other place and time I'd have that down pat. Oh wait. Yeah. That's kind of the point.

I never said that. If I did quote me and I'll clear up the misunderstanding because I do not believe that. And do you disagree with my suggestions of combating racism in a non racist way? And from your hostility I would guess ÿøü think I'm a racist, I can assure you I'm not.

Explain to me how you'd really integrate the workplace without the help of AA. Go on. You keep mentioning education as if that's the end all be all of ceasing discrimination. You know what actually assists in confronting and dismantling discrimination? Forcing people to take a longer look at their prejudices in hiring standards. Double blind resume reviews. And in the case of musicians, hiding their gender.

cousins

People disagree with your suggestion that affirmative action is racist.

Check some shit out by Tim Wise, he's a white dude who examines racism from his perspective, and I feel it might be easier for you to relate to/not get offended by:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2mjvFNOwmc

He goes pretty in depth

Bolshevik

Banned
But those measures could, in theory, inconvenience a privileged majority! That means they're MAXIMUM RACIST have to be eliminated.
I never said they would "inconvenience a privileged majority". I just morally disagree with many of affirmative actions programs. I don't think the people who are implementing them are racist, just misguided. If you want to argue whether affirmative action is racist or not is one thing, but comments like these just muddle the conversation.

I never said they would "inconvenience a privileged majority". I just morally disagree with many of affirmative actions programs. I don't think the people who are implementing them are racist, just misguided. If you want to argue whether affirmative action is racist or not is one thing, but comments like these just muddle the conversation.

Again. Tell us your salve other than education because education doesn't dismantle institutionalized racism as well as you think it does.

Orayn

I never said they would "inconvenience a privileged majority".

This is what you're implying every time you refer to affirmative action as racist policy. You are suggesting that measures that could help minorities to make up for unfair societal disadvantages are somehow just as bad as the injustice they're intended to correct, but you haven't even made a solid argument as to why this is true.

cousins

I really can't recommend that Tim Wise lecture enough, he's great.

Bolshevik

Banned
Explain to me how you'd really integrate the workplace without the help of AA. Go on. You keep mentioning education as if that's the end all be all of ceasing discrimination. You know what actually assists in confronting and dismantling discrimination? Forcing people to take a longer look at their prejudices in hiring standards. Double blind resume reviews. And in the case of musicians, hiding their gender.
I did explain how I would, by keeping laws that criminalize racial discrimination in the work force. If its open this will stop it, but like I said, hidden racism is harder to stop. I think education is the best way to do so. I'm on my phone so I'm slow to do my research, but what I disagree with is your insulation that racism can't be combated with non racist programs. Education wouldn't completely end discrimination but it would go a long way, the problem is its gradual. But with such a complex issue as racism the idea of ending it completely within a few years is naive. Also can't watch the video right now :/ on a limited data and on phone. I will bookmark and watch tomorrow.

Mumei

There is nothing racist about affirmative action programs.

And you cannot simultaneously argue that you care about creating social and economic racial equality while at the same time refusing to engage in one of the only ways of artificially ameliorating the effects of long-term racism, structural and institutional racism, and interpersonal prejudice and have anyone believe that you are sincere in your belief in the importance of achieving social and economic racial equality.

Korey

I did explain how I would, by keeping laws that criminalize racial discrimination in the work force. If its open this will stop it, but like I said, hidden racism is harder to stop. I think education is the best way to do so. I'm on my phone so I'm slow to do my research, but what I disagree with is your insulation that racism can't be combated with non racist programs. Education wouldn't completely end discrimination but it would go a long way, the problem is its gradual. But with such a complex issue as racism the idea of ending it completely within a few years is naive. Also can't watch the video right now :/ on a limited data and on phone. I will bookmark and watch tomorrow.

Except affirmative action isn't racist. I really think that's the part you're not understanding.

Affirmative action exists for the greater good of society. Yes, some people will personally lose from it, and some people will personally benefit from it, but that's true for almost every type of policy whose goal is improving society overall.

Bolshevik

Banned
This is what you're implying every time you refer to affirmative action as racist policy. You are suggesting that measures that could help minorities to make up for unfair societal disadvantages are somehow just as bad as the injustice they're intended to correct, but you haven't even made a solid argument as to why this is true.
I actually don't think they are equally bad. I just believe the injustices done to many minorities can be corrected with non-racist programs.

Hidden racism/sexism is the exact kind of stuff AA targets because it forces people to hire outside of their particular socio economic class and use that as a marker for favoritism among those they are hiring. I don't think you really understand what AA is, how it works or what it entails. You think that it's just some random quota that needs filling when it's more complex than that. That's why blind auditions in music assist women because without them they'd be looked over only because of their gender.

Bolshevik

Banned
Except affirmative action isn't racist. I really think that's the part you're not understanding.
I would agree that it's intent isn't racist. Which is to have all races have equal opportunity and to eliminate racial discrimination. However I think some of the programs under the broad banner of affirmative action are racists. Not all affirmative action is racist. Would you disagree? For example, a scholarship rewarded to someone based on race. Is that racist?

I would agree that it's intent isn't racist. Which is to have all races have equal opportunity and to eliminate racial discrimination. However I think some of the programs under the broad banner of affirmative action are racists. Not all affirmative action is racist. Would you disagree? For example, a scholarship rewarded to someone based on race. Is that racist?

Scholarships is all you got, really? Private entities can put any and as many restrictions on those as they want. Next.

Alucrid

Banned

Once again, scholarships that are given to students of a certain race or creed are privately funded, meaning they can have whatever requirements they want. It has nothing to do with affirmative action.

cousins

Are you livid over preferential legacy enrollment?

Once again, scholarships that are given to students of a certain race or creed are privately funded, meaning they can have whatever requirements they want. It has nothing to do with affirmative action.

Hey. Don't you let your facts get in the way of my arguments.

Yes I support affirmative action, but only the non racist programs. I don't support the racist programs that are considered affirmative action.

How long are we going to keep up this charade? Either tell us which are actually racist, guess what scholarships don't qualify, or admit you're in over your head.

Bolshevik

Banned
What? Just because it is private doesn't mean they can be racist.

Mumei

What? Just because it is private doesn't mean they can be racist.

The point was that they are not "affirmative action programs" as such. Scholarship programs are a separate thing, though scholarship programs can be done with similar goals in mind as affirmative action programs.

And no, a scholarship that discriminates on the basis of race because of a mission of improving minority representation in higher education would not be racist.

Bolshevik

Banned
Are you livid over preferential legacy enrollment?
No, scholarships are just the simplest example I can use. I'm on my phone so I'm limited as to how fast I can respond and since I'm responding to several people it's even more difficult. I welcome anyone to pm me if they would like to discuss this more extensively and in depth another time.

Korey

The intent is to promote greater diversity on the campus or workplace, and give disadvantaged demographics an opportunity to transcend their disadvantaged backgrounds and slowly lift their demographic along with them so that they don't need programs like affirmative action to succeed.

I don't get what you're asking with the second part. No I don't believe scholarships for specific minorities are racist, as they seek to achieve what I said in the first paragraph

Dead Man

I'd rather they be stupid and blatant so people can take them to court.

If they say blonde hair and blue eyes can they still be taken to court? Obviously they mean white people, but if they phrase it that way doe it get them an out since the majority of white people don't have those features?

There's such a wealth of scholarships that are never undertaken by people, to argue that they're racist is hilarious.

If they say blonde hair and blue eyes can they still be taken to court? Obviously they mean white people, but if they phrase it that way doe it get them an out since the majority of white people don't have those features?

Probably since it's still a discriminatory practice.

Mumei

No, scholarships are just the simplest example I can use. I'm on my phone so I'm limited as to how fast I can respond and since I'm responding to several people it's even more difficult. I welcome anyone to pm me if they would like to discuss this more extensively and in depth another time.

The point he was making was that preferential legacy programs tend to overwhelmingly benefit white upper class people whose families are more likely to have had people go to college, and that if you are upset by scholarship programs benefiting minorities, you should be even more upset by those programs.

Bolshevik

Banned
The point was that they are not "affirmative action programs" as such. Scholarship programs are a separate thing, though scholarship programs can be done with similar goals in mind as affirmative action programs.

And no, a scholarship that discriminates on the basis of race because of a mission of improving minority representation in higher education would not be racist.
I tried to quote the wiki definition but had some trouble. Basically for AA it defined it as policies. I would say private scholarships that are given away are wide spread enough to be considered a non official national policy. I agree that "improving minority representation in higher education [is] not racist", but descrimating based on race is. Just because you are trying to help a race doesn't mean you cant be racist towards them or other races.

I tried to quote the wiki definition but had some trouble. Basically for AA it defined it as policies. I would say private scholarships that are given away are wide spread enough to be considered a non official national policy. I agree that "improving minority representation in higher education [is] not racist", but descrimating based on race is. Just because you are trying to help a race doesn't mean you cant be racist towards them or other races.

This kind of argument legitimately reeks of ignoring the various programs or institutionalized racism/general advantages that still haven't evaporated that AA programs seek to counter balance.

Bolshevik

Banned
There's such a wealth of JOBS that are never undertaken by people, to argue that EMPLOYERS ARE racist is hilarious.

lol I can use false logic too. "other things aren't racist so it can't be racist"

This kind of argument legitimately reeks of ignoring the various programs or institutionalized racism/general advantages that still haven't evaporated that AA programs seek to counter balance.

With AA in place for several decades why hasn't institutionalized racism disappeared? And I understand the purpose of AA and I agree with its goals, just not how some of it is implemented.
Edit: double post and I'm a noob so i don't know how to fix this on my phone :/

Mumei

Racism is systemic or institutionalized and creates a racial hierarchy through its effects. Those scholarship programs are attempts at ameliorating the effects of those institutional and systemic effects, and are inherently anti-racist.

If you want to use a word to describe what they are doing, you could call them discriminatory, but they need to be discriminatory in order to achieve their mission and "discriminatory" is not the same as "racist."

Korey

I'm not sure how it is now but I know that many public schools used to look to make race quotas in thier student acceptance. However not sure if that's still how it is. However even if it's private does that mean they can be racist? I'm pretty sure that was cleared up when privately run businesses couldn't refuse service to people based on race. As far as I understand, it's against the law.

By the way (sorry for quoting a post earlier in the thread), but quotas aren't legal in the US (since 1978). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirmative_action#Quotas

In University of California vs Bakke, the Supreme Court ruled that quotas are unconstitutional but affirmative action is legal and constitutional.

So you don't have to worry about quotas.

The Adder

Banned
With AA in place for several decades why hasn't institutionalized racism disappeared? And I understand the purpose of AA and I agree with its goals, just not how some of it is implemented.

Because the goal of AA is not to eliminate institutionalized racism. It's to combat its effects so that the people who actually have to survive in a system that is, at its core, against them can, you know, make a living.

But no! That's stupid! Let those people suffer. I'm sure if we just educate the next generation (like we have been for decades) institutionalized racism will disappear into the wind and, while those kids who had to grow up in families who couldn't get anywhere without clawing and fighting every day of their lives, won't have the advantages the kids who didn't have to grow up in that environment just by virtue of the color of their skin, I'm sure they'll be fine.

Bolshevik

Banned
The intent is to promote greater diversity on the campus or workplace, and give disadvantaged demographics an opportunity to transcend their disadvantaged backgrounds and slowly lift their demographic along with them so that they don't need programs like affirmative action to succeed.

I don't get what you're asking with the second part. No I don't believe scholarships for specific minorities are racist, as they seek to achieve what I said in the first paragraph
sorry, I'll phrase it with a different question so my point is more clear. Would you consider something racist if it discrimates based on race, whether it be for the benefit or disadvantage of that race.

sorry, I'll phrase it with a different question so my point is more clear. Would you consider something racist if it discrimates based on race, whether it be for the benefit or disadvantage of that race.

As mumei posted it's discriminatory with a purpose but not racist. Racism is the issue that necessitates AA in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom