• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lawsuit Claims Race Bias at Wet Seal Retail Chain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Banned
Funny you bring up H&M. Once I was in new jersey visiting my friends and god daughter and we were in the mall waiting outside h&m for another friend to leave. Just then 3 girls walked by H&M and stopped in front one girl asked if they want to go inside and the other girl said no that's where black people shop. I swear I never knew people thought H&M was some "black clothing store " especially with having clothes in small sizes.

Uniqlo: That's just where Asian people shop.

Wet Seal (seriously? lol)

If they can't even get a name right I'm not surprised the VP is sending out Nazi-style orders over email. She's not even a good racist overlord. You keep that shit on a need-to-know basis only.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Uniqlo: That's just where Asian people shop.

Thats probably why i see so many cute guys at that store. I wish I could fit in uniqlo clothes. :(. I love their metal gear solid t-shirts. The staff at uniqlo in new York seems to be of all nationalities and sizes last time I was there.

26af6deb.jpg

From my experience in working in "High Fashion" stores, I'm not surprised.

Additionally, you'll hear a lot of "We just want to hire in proportion to the local populace". So you'll see like 9 white coworkers, leaning on blond, 1 latino, one black and maybe one other race working at the store. "But we hired Keisha. We're in no way racist"

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Took me far too long to get the wet seal pic joke but now that I do, kudos! =)

tafer

and people say affirmative action isn't needed, heh.

Oh boy that stuff is even worse. The definition of good intentions that go wrong.

Just let those discriminatory dinosaurs go extinct. And if they are stupid enough to show up their idiocy, punish them appropriately.

Satch

Banned
Who is Wet Seal trying to fool?

I used to walk by and they'd always have a black singer's music playing over the speakers.

And Keri Hilson sells her CDs there, so...

Alucrid

Banned
From my experience in working in "High Fashion" stores, I'm not surprised.

Additionally, you'll hear a lot of "We just want to hire in proportion to the local populace". So you'll see like 9 white coworkers, leaning on blond, 1 latino, one black and maybe one other race working at the store. "But we hired Keisha. We're in no way racist"

I find referring to Wet Seal as "High Fashion" offensive.

he tried to. hopefully he wont backpedal.
1. Natural's Law is the reverse of that
2. I can't blame in him/her for trolling you right now, because obviously it's easy

Funny you bring up H&M. Once I was in new jersey visiting my friends and god daughter and we were in the mall waiting outside h&m for another friend to leave. Just then 3 girls walked by H&M and stopped in front one girl asked if they want to go inside and the other girl said no that's where black people shop. I swear I never knew people thought H&M was some "black clothing store " especially with having clothes in small sizes.
wtf is this

oneHeero

The Wet Seal where I live is populated by blacks/Hispanics way more here. I don't think I've ever seen a white person there :/
My wife goes to nearby stores : p and there is a footlocker right next door! Don't judge me.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Do you really take a question like "Should gyms have to hire fat people?" seriously in the context of this thread?

Really now?

i was curious as to where he got the connection of fat people and gyms from black people and this store chain.

thats a pretty far jump for a point.

Wouldn't be surprised if this was the hiring policy for pretty much any of the major clothing chains that usually populate malls.

Seems like all they hire are thin, attractive, white people.

i was curious as to where he got the connection of fat people and gyms from black people and this store chain.

thats a pretty far jump for a point.
I said he was trolling, not that he was trying to make a point. Trolling is typically devoid of a point, except that it's easy to manipulate people into anger.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I said he was trolling, not that he was trying to make a point. Trolling is typically devoid of a point, except that it's easy to manipulate people into anger.

you sure he was trolling though? do you know for certain?

way more

Only focusing on black people who were paid less? If these people actually cared about rights shouldn't they focus on everyone who was paid less? It seems like the people who created this lawsuit are just as racist.

Bolshevik

Banned
That's what it is now?
Giving aid to people solely based on race IS racist. Giving aid to people who are disadvantaged is not. For example I support college grants to poor but smart students. I do not support college grants that are only for one race. That is racist. I'm not trying to detract from the obvious racism in the OP. I believe racism is best fought by educating people, not through affirmative action.

Bolshevik

Banned
You don't know how affirmative action works, do you?
Explain to me then how it works? My understanding is that it is meant to help portions of a population that have been historically disadvantaged for unjust reasons. I think there are non racists ways about doing that. There fore I disagree with types of affirmative action that use race as a determinant for benefits. Affirmative action is a broad topic and I'm sure there are programs that aren't racist, but many of the programs I have seen are. Ex. College scholarships or workforce race quotas.

Yes, let's fix racism with more racism. That will solve everything.

As long as white privlege exists, affirmative action should be in place. Or do you deny white privilege exists at all?

Explain to me then how it works? My understanding is that it is meant to help portions of a population that have been historically disadvantaged for unjust reasons.
Historically? Do you even realize what thread you are in right now?

Bolshevik

Banned
As long as white privlege exists, affirmative action should be in place. Or do you deny white privilege exists at all?

Historically? Do you even realize what thread you are in right now?
White privilege does exist, but don't you think there are non racist ways to correct it? And sorry, meant to put "usually meant*". Also I would attribute the poor economic situation of many minorities to historical disadvantages that are perpetuated by current racism.

Explain to me then how it works? My understanding is that it is meant to help portions of a population that have been historically disadvantaged for unjust reasons. I think there are non racists ways about doing that. There fore I disagree with types of affirmative action that use race as a determinant for benefits. Affirmative action is a broad topic and I'm sure there are programs that aren't racist, but many of the programs I have seen are. Ex. College scholarships or workforce race quotas.

People always say this line of shit then never actually offer up those so called "less racist" alternatives.

Bolshevik

Banned
People always say this line of shit then never actually offer up those so called "less racist" alternatives.
How about a non racist alternative? I think it's sad how most public schools that are predominantly made up of minorities are often
underfunded and understaffed/worst teachers. I've seen this first hand. My room mate went to a mostly black/Hispanic high school when he moved from Mexico. He is a brilliant guy and graduated higher in his class than me, but received a worse education. I'm all for cutting defense budgets and sending that money to poorer school districts, so everyone in public education receive equal quality of teachers and education.

How about a non racist alternative? I think it's sad how most public schools that are predominantly made up of minorities are often
underfunded and understaffed/worst teachers. I've seen this first hand. My room mate went to a mostly black/Hispanic high school when he moved from Mexico. He is a brilliant guy and graduated higher in his class than me, but received a worse education. I'm all for cutting defense budgets and sending that money to poorer school districts, so everyone in public education receive equal quality of teachers and education.

Okay but how to do you solve the issue of prejudice within work spaces?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom