• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Day of Steam Sales | you're officially broke: indie game / cheap game spotlight

Bowdz

InsertNameHere said:
How are The Dig and Loom?

I loved Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis as a kid, never got to play the other Indiana Jones game but I hear it's just as good, so I might as well get the pack. Will I probably enjoy these as well? It's not like I lose any money, just curious as to the reception of them.

The Dig is SUCH a good game. Seriously, it has one of the best soundtracks I have ever heard and the visuals set the tone perfectly. Truly a fantastic adventure game.

Blizzard

Banned
InsertNameHere said:
Rad. Have to get that LucasArts pack then. Though I'll probably go for a replay of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis first, it's been ages since I've played it and it's probably my favorite adventure game.
I'm selling soap, and you smell like you could use some!

I'd like one last pastrami sandwich!

Of all the towns we could have walked into, we had to walk into this one.

Arnie

Hope to hell that the Battlefield franchise sale returns. Got a new PC and want to get 2142 and BC2 again on the cheap. Wouldn't mind seeing ARMA 2 and TW2 on there either.

LProtag

Blizzard said:
I'm selling soap, and you smell like you could use some!

I'd like one last pastrami sandwich!

Of all the towns we could have walked into, we had to walk into this one.

"Do you have a bathroom in there I can use?"

Oh man, I never got to play it with voice acting. I completely forgot that got added later.

Fjordson

Shameful admission: I've never played even a second of any of the games in that Lucas Arts pack. Yet I love adventure games. I'm guessing I should buy this immediately?

Salsa

Fjordson said:
Shameful admission: I've never played even a second of any of the games in that Lucas Arts pack. Yet I love adventure games. I'm guessing I should buy this immediately?

psshh, no, what makes you think that?

Fjordson said:
Same here. Stop giving me more awesome stuff to buy! :p It looks so worth it, but my wallet can't take much more of this. At least it's almost over now... until winter.

LiK

just bought the Lucasarts pack. only played Indy FoA in there. man, when is Day of the Tentacle gonna be available.

Coen

So, I'm on a self-induged budget and I have to pick between The Whispered World, Nimbus and Capsized. Any advice?

Caerith

ShironRedshift said:
Same here. Stop giving me more awesome stuff to buy! :p It looks so worth it, but my wallet can't take much more of this. At least it's almost over now... until winter.
Well, you've avoided the wonderfulness that is The Dig for 15 years, another six months won't kill you. But man are you missing out.

Dascu

Would people recommend The Longest Journey and Dreamfall to someone who's generally not a fan of point&click adventures?

And what's the word on Dark Void Zero?

Dascu said:
Would people recommend The Longest Journey and Dreamfall to someone who's generally not a fan of point&click adventures?

No, definitely not. The story is good and most of the puzzles are good but it's very standard fare. If you're not a fan of the genre you won't like TLJ.

Caerith said:
Well, you've avoided the wonderfulness that is The Dig for 15 years, another six months won't kill you. But man are you missing out.
Nah, I did buy the Adventure Pack. Was just trying to say there that so far I've stayed within my budget for the summer sale (and have some money left over for stuff coming out soon like Old World Blues), but with additional purchases that I'm making based on recs in this thread like that, I'm getting close to going over now~ Based on the screenshots though, it looks like it will totally be worth it, so it's all good.

fokkusu

SgBgK.png

Qwomo

InsertNameHere said:

I loved Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis as a kid, never got to play the other Indiana Jones game but I hear it's just as good, so I might as well get the pack. Will I probably enjoy these as well? It's not like I lose any money, just curious as to the reception of them.
Loom is literally the greatest adventure game ever made.

Criminally short, however.

Schmattakopf said:
These are any I didn't see in this OP that were in the list of suggestions from a few days ago, and I can speak for the ones in bold:

Everyday Shooter - $2.50
Jagged Alliance 2 / Disciples II pack - $6.24
Chaos Theory (not Splinter Cell) - $1.70
Rag Doll Kung Fu - $2.50
Quantz - $2.50
Osmos - $2.50
Freedom Force pack - $5.01
Darkstar One - $2.50
Children of the Nile - $2.50

Crash Time 2 - $4.99
Spectromancer - $2.49
Massive Assault: Phantom Renaissance - $4.99
Caster - $1.00
Arcadia - $1.70
Gratuitous Space Battles - $4.99
Saira - $2.50
Lucidity - $3.34
Scratches - $4.99
Future Wars - $2.50
Fortix 1 - $0.99

From this list I can personally recommend the following;

Spectromancer;
This is basically MTG but without any mana tapping.
If you like card games, you'll probably like this.

Gratuitous Space Battles;
Sort of like Football manager meets a space combat game. I'd also recommend you pick up the campaign mode DLC while you're at it.
You design ships, give them their tactics, then set them loose.

Future Wars;
Maybe people would be more interested in this if they realised this is actually a rip off of Advance Wars?
Because it is.

And Advance Wars is great.

Fortix 1;
Maybe people would be interested in this if they realised it is a version of Qix?
Because it is.

And Qix is great.

Jintor

I already had a bunch of games on the list, but I picked up Longest Journey + Dreamfall (Nostalgia's sake), the LucasArts Adventure Pack, Capsized, and Stubbs. Twenty bucks! That's fucking insane!

Benedict

MrNyarlathotep said:
Fortix 1;
Maybe people would be interested in this if they realised it is a version of Qix?
Because it is.

And Qix is great.

Qix and Volfied are great.
Is Fortix 2 better than 1?

I was misled by the description of the game that it was a "reverse turret defense game"... That made my interest less than zero.
But after I saw your info i checked a movie on 2 and it looks fun.

Corto

chubigans said:
I hear Everyday Shooter is a bit of a mess playing keyboard wise and doesn't have gamepad support. Chime didn't sell me on it's demo, but it is for a good cause so...hmmm.

Everyday Shooter has gamepad support. Not on the menus though ;)

mrgone

Anyone have any impressions of Guardians of Graxia? It's currently on for $2.50 as well. There's a demo to try out, but I'm currently downloading Nation Red, which is going to use up my bandwidth for like an hour.

mrgone said:
Anyone have any impressions of Guardians of Graxia? It's currently on for $2.50 as well. There's a demo to try out, but I'm currently downloading Nation Red, which is going to use up my bandwidth for like an hour.

Well, I only spent an hour with GoG, but I did not think much of it. I found it ugly, slow and needlessly obtuse. I felt like there was a good game in there somewhere, though, and I've always intended to go back to it, but I can't recommend it based on my first impressions.

edit: I should mention I really enjoyed that card/board game with the weird name on PS2 which I can't remember for the life of me (edit 2: Culdcept). Must be getting old. :(

mrgone

echoshifting said:
Well, I only spent an hour with GoG, but I did not think much of it. I found it ugly, slow and needlessly obtuse. I felt like there was a good game in there somewhere, though, and I've always intended to go back to it, but I can't recommend it based on my first impressions.
That's probably longer than I would've given it with the demo, and doesn't sound too promising. :) Thanks for the impression! I'm going to put the money towards something loud and dumb.

This thread reminded me that I should pick up The Whispered World. I was interested in it back in 2009 when I first saw the screens and trailers but then it just kind of fell off my radar.

I'll wait until after today's deals go up on the slim chance that they might be new ones instead of an encore.

Caerith

I was considering getting Graxia tomorrow, barring anything better showing up in the daily, but the more I read about it the less enthusiastic I get. It looks like a good game, but its shortcomings sound awfully unfun.

mrgone said:
That's probably longer than I would've given it with the demo, and doesn't sound too promising. :) Thanks for the impression! I'm going to put the money towards something loud and dumb.
ARES looks loud and fun.

mrgone

Caerith said:
I was considering getting Graxia tomorrow, barring anything better showing up in the daily, but the more I read about it the less enthusiastic I get. It looks like a good game, but its shortcomings sound awfully unfun.

ARES looks loud and fun.

And if something magical does happen with DLC or a patch, it'll still be around for the next sale.

ARES is definitely high on my list :)

Mr_Zombie

InsertNameHere said:

The Dig has weak ending part (lots of backtracking, cliche scenes and IMHO underwhelming ending), and it starts really slowly, but the middle part is great. It has beautiful visuals and soundtrack, nice cast and abstract but still logical puzzles (the whole game takes place on an alien planet so you have to work out how various things work).

I only played the demo of Guardians of Graxia but I found it quite boring. I thought the concept was neat but simple actions like attacking an enemy seem to take way too much time.

echoshifting said:
edit: I should mention I really enjoyed that card/board game with the weird name on PS2 which I can't remember for the life of me. Must be getting old. :(

Culdcept maybe?

Edit: I did buy ARES, there's not a ton of content but I thought it was fun and certainly worth $5.

mrgone

Schmattakopf said:
Don't anyone buy Tidalis.

I'm not too keen on living after playing that for 20 minutes.
I didn't mind the puzzle mode all that much :) If you're trying to get the ticket out of it I wouldn't recommend doing it without cheating a bit, though.
Custom game, one colour, just keep dropping blocks to feed the reaction until you get your x6 chain

Mr_Zombie

Dascu said:

Still haven't played Dreamfall (I've heard it's much more action oriented), but TLJ is your traditional point & click adventure game, with lots of fetch quests, dialogs, backtracking etc. Back when the game was released, the game was called an attempt to bringing back classic p&c adventure games. If you're not a fan of the genre, then I'm sorry, but you won't enjoy the game.

Well, I might as well jump on the bandwagon and shine a light on the games sprinkled throughout the list I really enjoy. There are definitely some goodies, some so-so's and some bad ones, but I won't waste any time with the latter two categories.

Chime is sort of what I wanted Lumines to be - a Rez-like puzzle game. The gameplay is very similar but the interaction with the music makes for a more unique and satisfying experience.

Hinterland is the last game by the great (and basically shuttered) Tilted Mill, the studio formed by the Impressions guys when that studio was shut down. As with all of Tilted Mill's games, it could have benefited from a bit more time in the oven, but the ideas on display are compelling enough on their own to compensate for any faults in the gameplay. Managing the development of a town while hack-and-slashing my way through some fairly generic monsters was fun enough to keep me going through several games (there's no campaign to speak of, only a skirmish mode). It's sort of like the town-building sections of Actraiser but with a more Diablo-like combat system.

Shatter is one of my all-time favorite Steam sale finds, and it will probably end up being one of yours, too. I'm not a huge fan of Breakout-style games but damn, this is a good one. Very addicting, fantastic soundtrack.

Eets is best described as Lemmings meets the Incredible Machine. Your goal is to passively guide the adorable little Eet...creature...thing...through a series of levels by designing a path with a few preset objects. The puzzles, for the most, are very decent, if a little on the easy side, and the overall design is pleasant and relaxing.

AaAaAA!!! I don't get dejobaan's poor reputation as a studio, but whatever. Their games aren't the most polished but one of the cool things about the super-cheap games you can pick up on the last day is stumbling upon something that presents something completely original, and that's certainly the case with AaAaAA!!! The game has a bizarre sense of humor...if you enjoy off-beat games you might like extreme base-jumping, you never know. The game really picks up once you unlock a couple of additional components.

Swords and Soldiers surprised me. I wasn't expecting much out of it, but I ended up glued to my laptop for hours. Very simple gameplay but still challenging enough, this is a great pick for the "strategy-lite" fan. Another game that actually manages to be genuinely amusing.

Zombie Driver is fun for brief spurts over a week or two. There isn't much original or interesting about it...it's pretty much what it sounds like. You drive around killing zombies. But the gameplay is tight and satisfying, and the unlocks will keep you going, at least for a little while.

Everyday Genius: SquareLogic is essential gaming for the puzzle gamer, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not a sudoku fan at all - can't stand 'em - but a grid game in which each grid is basically a long, numbers-based logic puzzle turns out to be a great deal more interesting. Yeah, I know...I just described sudoku, but this is different. It's much more involved, and there are layers of depth as you advance. Starts out easy, but it has a good built-in mechanic to keep you at the proper challenge level (each time the grid gets more complicated, all you have to do is complete a test puzzle to ensure you're ready to move on, but there are loads of puzzles at every stage in case it starts to get too hard).

World of Goo is much closer to the Lemmings formula than the aforementioned Eets - the goo balls you manage here are very reminiscent of the green-haired ones. The twist is that instead of giving them jobs to perform, you combine them in acts of improvised architecture. After the first few levels you start finding goo balls with different abilities, giving the game a lot of variety between worlds.

SuperLurker said:
Culdcept maybe?

Culdcept! That's the one. Thank you, that was driving me batty. I can't believe I forgot.

I purchased the Broken Sword bundle and The Whispered World

I highly recommend the Syberia bundle for everyone, even people not fans of point and click games, it's awesome

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I think it'S

Garshasp
The Path
I-Fluid
Eschalon 1

any thoughts? I'm at ~10 euro now which seems fine I think. Not sure about Garshasp, though, is it anything like God of War meets SotC?

Maybe I'll switch Garshasp to Lume..

LiK said:
just bought the Lucasarts pack. only played Indy FoA in there. man, when is Day of the Tentacle gonna be available.

Oh man I would LOVE to own that on Steam. You guys suck though..just made me shell out more money for the adventure pack.

Dascu

Bufbaf said:
I think it'S

Garshasp
The Path
I-Fluid
Eschalon 1

any thoughts? I'm at ~10 euro now which seems fine I think. Not sure about Garshasp, though, is it anything like God of War meets SotC?

Have not played it myself, but I heard it's pretty awful.

Flatout: Ultimate Carnage - $4.99
header_292x136.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/12360/
FlatOut Ultimate Carnage lifts destruction racing to a whole new level of bone-breaking slaughter. FlatOut Ultimate Carnage is arcade destruction racing at its best and most extreme with real world physics, three different game modes and offering players a wide variety of online and offline multiplayer options.
A game for those who take pleasure in driving like a jackass. If you don't, this game will make you. If you're not out of control, you're not in control. Unlike games like Burnout it contains proper chaos where physics determine the outcome; you're never not out of control.

Flatout's always been a bit flimsy on the value front. But with the price bumpered down to 5 trunks it's a wheel.

mrgone

Bufbaf said:
I think it'S

Garshasp
The Path
I-Fluid
Eschalon 1

Giant Bomb quicklook of Garshasp! It's definitely low-rent God of War (shamelessly so). It's far from the worst thing I've played but further from the best. I like it for $2.50 :) From what I've read Lume is supposed to be very short. Hopefully it's short and sweet! The art style's lovely.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Schmattakopf said:
Don't anyone buy Tidalis.

I'm not too keen on living after playing that for 20 minutes.

I think my girlfriend liked it. No special impressions, just a remark.

Benedict

I have these in my cart at the moment:

Fortix 2
Guns of Icarus
Faerie Solitaire
Nation Red
The Mawesome Pack
Eternity's Child

yay or nay?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Benedict said:
I have these in my cart at the moment:

Fortix 2
Guns of Icarus
Faerie Solitaire
Nation Red
The Mawesome Pack
Eternity's Child

yay or nay?

Eternities child - nay. Its cheap but its also not a good game.
It looks nice, but eh. Whatever, its only a buck. See for yourself. I bought it btw.

Guns of Icarus seems to be a nay as well when I am looking at random reviews.

The rest is good if youre interested in what you've seen, though.

mrgone said:
I didn't mind the puzzle mode all that much :) If you're trying to get the ticket out of it I wouldn't recommend doing it without cheating a bit, though.
Custom game, one colour, just keep dropping blocks to feed the reaction until you get your x6 chain
That's exactly what I did to get the ticket.

It has a lot of options, I'll give it that, but the basic gameplay is just mind numbing, and that music gave me such a headache.

Toma

BlazingDarkness said:
I purchased the Broken Sword bundle and The Whispered World

I highly recommend the Syberia bundle for everyone, even people not fans of point and click games, it's awesome

I hope you really, really enjoy Whispered World :( Its so sad to see it go under in all these sales because its basically too expensive compared with all the other awesomeness, but its such a lovely game.

For all the others, please check out my previous post about it if you like adventure games. It would be awesome to at least raise the awareness that this game existed. I love it and didnt even know its on Steam. Probably because it never has been on sale before:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29190493&postcount=5

Random Screenshot because its beautiful:
K2so6l.jpg

Fair warning: its only 1024*768 because of the hand drawn art.

Top Bottom