• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Day of Steam Sales | you're officially broke: indie game / cheap game spotlight

1-D_FTW

plc268 said:
You're probably referring to me. I actually don't have that problem anymore now that I play the game with a 360 controller. I used to use the keyboard, and my problem was that when the orientation switched, it was like my fingers were getting tied up in a knot. With a thumbstick it's much easier to maneuver, IMO.

It probably was you. I use the 360 controller, but the d-pad instead of the stick. D-pad use for me is a rarity, but I like that setup the best for Nimbus.

Ledsen

PixyJunket said:
Reposting because like I like NES games and you should too.

I don't know. ARES is ok, but it's not really worth buying in my opinion. It's very mediocre in all respects, and there are much better uses of your time even if you love that style of game. The graphics and enemy designs are extremely bland, the level design is very straightforward and never really challenging or interesting, and even the bosses are boring. Ultimately I just found it very unappealing.

coopolon said:
I think she is only focusing on games that were not dailies since presumably anyone who wanted a game that was a daily already got it.

1-D_FTW said:
I see. And she shows appropriate enthusiasm for it. Nevermind. It's too bad it got left out of the OP since I'm sure a lot of people won't look at the middle of the thread.

lol, has this become a meme or something?

JudgeN

Leatherface said:
Unless something amazing happens this last day of the Steam sale, I think my final $10 is going to:

header_292x136.jpg

Same, Ive heard good things about it

Lumine

Nice list. I didn't even realize some of these games were on steam. I kinda already spent too much this sale though. I might still pick up a few indie games. I'm not sure yet, my wallet is already crying.

IrishNinja

i'm not trying to put her business out there

but ive got salsashark on my FB, and she's HOT

wrowa - i picked up Void on a recommendation for games dealing with philosophy, and still haven't gotten around to playing it, but im told it's infinitely more playable with a patch. just a heads-up.

I love this Steam sale, and am sort of happy that I own a Mac, it kept me from going completely broke. What I've bought based on this thread:

Precipice of Darkness
Zen Bound 2
Doc Clock
And Yet it Moves
Eets

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
AEREC said:
I wonder how some people took it when Monkey Island came out, though I realize it fits in more with it's light hearted nature, and the industry didnt feel as "corporate" back then as it does now.

no. nobody complained because they were not on the internet.

acksman

Thanks for the OP, was wanting to get a few puzzle games for my Mom who is 76 and has a steam account, which is awesome. I always try to gift her a few games during these sales.

Ruzai

Qwomo said:
Loom is literally the greatest adventure game ever made.

Criminally short, however.

So heartbreaking that the Loom trilogy was left by the wayside and will likely never be returned to.

Yeef

I already have most of those games. I'm finding, with the last few Steam sales, that I've been disinterested because it's all stuff I already own. Yet, somehow I spend just as much money gifting people the games instead.

Any thoughts about Broken Sword? Should I get the trilogy pack instead of just the one game? Is it like Carmen San Diego, the screenshots have the same kind of drawn on adventure-a-thon feel to them.

Thanks for this list btw, picking up Lume and I-fluid as soon as I confirm that the last day has no new sales (hope I don't get Terraria'd).

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Robin and Ruby finished. Man, this game is deep D:

Seriously, someone earlier said it's boring and not worth the price, but I absolutely recommend it for this price. I've had a blast with it so far.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/27000/

And don't rush it! See how much stuff you can find out with every girl, it's all about those small monologues and feelings the game presents to you, it's not about "winning" or making it through. You will regret missing every single item and secret after each girl.

epmode

yellow submarine said:
Any thoughts about Broken Sword? Should I get the trilogy pack instead of just the one game?
The first two are definitely worth a playthrough.

I'd suggest getting them on GOG instead of Steam since the GOG release gives you the superior original version of the games along with the director's cut. But the Steam price is pretty good at the moment.

Gvaz

Banned
yellow submarine said:
Any thoughts about Broken Sword? Should I get the trilogy pack instead of just the one game? Is it like Carmen San Diego, the screenshots have the same kind of drawn on adventure-a-thon feel to them.

Thanks for this list btw, picking up Lume and I-fluid as soon as I confirm that the last day has no new sales (hope I don't get Terraria'd).
The trilogy is really swell if you like adventure games.

Sanic

I know it's in the OP, but is Guns of Icarus actually good? I mean I know it's only $1.25, but will I actually want to play it for more than 45 minutes? Because it looks shovelware-ish.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
DMPrince said:
Did they remove whispered world?

EDIT: Weird, Searched "Whispered" nothing came up until i put the full title.

I miiiiight not have mentioned it, but... <3

Greed Corp and Gartuitious Space Battle are mine.

Any turn based suggestions out there? I have and love the King's Bounty series BTW.

Looking for cheap, indie turn-based games mostly.

I got Solar 2 after it was half off and there was a quick look about it. I kind of want to play terreria but I haven't played much MC lately so I don't know if I want to bite. I got Puzzle Agent this week too, it was fun.

JackEtc

OKAY THATS IT I'M DONE. Bought a few cheap indie stuff, and that topped me off.

Purchased:
Medal of Honor - $10.19 [$29.99]
Oblivion GOTY Deluxe: $8.50 [$24.99]
Steam Wallet (TF2 Summer Cooler Unlock) - $5.00
Darksiders - $4.99 [$19.99]
Ultimate Doom - $2.49 [$9.99]
Beat Hazard Ultra - $1.24 [$4.99]
Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition - $9.99 [39.99]
Portal 2: The Final Hours - $0.99 [$1.99]
Chime - $1.25 [$4.99]
Zen Bound 2 - $1.00 [$4.99]
Terraria - $4.99 [$9.99]

Gifts RECEIVED:
Tropico 3 Gold - $0.00 (Thanks Mohonky!) [$19.99]

Gifts SENT:
Half-Life 2 - $2.49 [$9.99]
Half-Life 2: Episode 1 - $1.99 [$7.99]
Portal 2: The Final Hours - $0.99 [$1.99]

Total Spent: $58.09
Total Without Sale: $211.85

TOTAL SAVED: $153.76
REMAINING MONEY: $4.22

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
gregor7777 said:

Any turn based suggestions out there? I have and love the King's Bounty series BTW.

Massive Assault Network 2.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
gregor7777 said:

Winter Voices.

Very, very slow and text heavy though. Do not buy if you want your games all flashy.

I like it :)

I think I'll wrap up my spending with Puzzle Chronicles and call it done. Thanks for all the great recommendations. I did end up getting Zen of Sudoku.

subversus

also should I buy Neverwinter Nights? I enjoyed Dragon Age and loved combat in Baldur's Gate II.

Toma

subversus said:
Is Magicka tolerable in single player?

Yes, but its of course more fun in mp.

subversus said:
also should I buy Neverwinter Nights? I enjoyed Dragon Age and loved combat in Baldur's Gate II.

Yes.

(sorry, you didnt ask question I could say no to)

coopolon

subversus said:
Is Magicka tolerable in single player?

I would say no. It's incredibly boring SP, and it gets pretty hard towards the end SP as well. The combat system isn't really that much fun after awhile unless you have the chaos created by multiple wizards casting spells that interact with each other.

subversus said:

Here Toma and I agree. Should definitely buy it. Main campaign is okay, not as bad as NWN1 main campaign, but MoTB and SoZ are both really good.

Toma

coopolon said:
I would say no. It's incredibly boring SP, and it gets pretty hard towards the end SP as well. The combat system isn't really that much fun after awhile unless you have the chaos created by multiple wizards casting spells that interact with each other.

Here Toma and I agree. Should definitely buy it. Main campaign is okay, not as bad as NWN1 main campaign, but MoTB and SoZ are both really good.

Well, 50/50 isnt a bad quota. ;)

I totally see your point btw, but I had so much fun messing around with the magic system that I totally found it worth the money, so I'd say its at least "tolerable".

subversus

coopolon said:

can I play it with randoms? is it fun with randoms?

Blizzard

Banned
3chopl0x said:
So does Stubbs actually work on W7/Nvidia?
Inkblot said:
I'm pretty sure Baha said that it DOES, though you may have wicescreen issues or have to put up with a black bar. I'm not sure if he had to do a hex fix or use specific drivers, but apparently there was some way to get it working on W7/nVidia. Baha, if you're still here feel free to share. :D

By the way, it's been a long time since I explained Stubbs but you might want to google for a manual or something to see if it gives any of the little backstory. The game might be a little more entertaining if you know that you're supposed to be a down on his luck salesman buried under this fancy city or something, and you're basically coming back to haunt the city that screwed you over.

coopolon

Toma said:
Well, 50/50 isnt a bad quota. ;)

I totally see your point btw, but I had so much fun messing around with the magic system that I totally found it worth the money, so I'd say its at least "tolerable".

I agree it's a fun magic system, and it got me through the first couple levels single player just messing with it. But I did eventually start to get bored once I figured out which combinations were most effective, and then I started playing with friends and we got pretty far, but eventually we all got bored again. I tried to finish it but found it too hard/not interesting enough.

Then again, for $3.39, even if you just have fun on the first few levels, you've probably gotten your money's worth.

subversus said:

I believe you can. Not sure how the community is. But it probably would be okay. The only problem I see is part of what makes co-op fun for me is seeing how my actions interact with the other play's actions and getting good laughs out of it. But if you're not talking to the other people, it's not quite as funny when you cast lightning bolt right as the other guy casts rain.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Really want some of these games, but decided not to pull the trigger on any of them, today. I just added a bunch (10+) to my wishlist, instead. Gotta save something for the Christmas sale!

I have 90 games in my 'Unplayed' Steam category, I realized this weekend. So that was a bit of a wake-up call, for me. Granted that number is boosted because of things like Doom Master Levels, Quake Mission Pack 1, Pack 2, etc., but still!

The key to Steam self-control is to realize that this isn't your FINAL CHANCE to nab these games. With a few possible exceptions (Bloodlines). I missed out on Frozen Synapse for example, which is def. disappointing, but eh. I'll just grab it in 6 months. No big deal.

In for Broken Sword DC and Eschalon. Thanks for the reminder.
yellow submarine said:

Broken Sword is akin to older adventure titles on PC like King's Quest or Quest for Glory. While not as good as my beloved Quest for Glory series, Broken Sword (at least the first couple? NOt sure about later games in the set) is pretty good if you're into that sort of point and click adventure. I haven't played Carmen San Diego, though!

Nelo Ice

Banned
picked up bloodlines the eschalon games and faerie solitaire

figured bloodlines and eschalon were worth it besides the praise since those games like never go on sale and solitaire because it was 75% off and cheap enough

Eternity's Child is awful, do not buy except as a Bad Rats substitute gag gift. If you like his art style get Mecho Wars from GamersGate which is a competent Advance Wars clone.

Doc Clock is pretty bad and frustrating according to those who got it for the achievement

The Path not really a game, and not in a good way

And Yet It Moves is not good, got it in a pack myself. You can only rotate by 90 degrees unlike the Wii version.

Garshasp: The Monster Slayer hahahaha it requires Flash to be updated and doesn't even run on a lot of systems

Painkiller Overdose
Painkiller Redemption are the bad Painkillers not made by the devs, do not get

The Polynomial a lot of people got this for the achievement and found the performance to be horrible for such a simple looking "game"

Booster Trooper unless you have friends who are also getting it you will have no one to play with online

Broken Sword - Triple pack does not include the enhanced version of the second game, just so you know. You're better off getting it on a GOG.com sale

Rocket Knight is not all that good, even at it's discount

YOU DON’T KNOW JACK has only 2 player local play and no online

Blade Kitten gets worse in the latter half so the demo is a bit misleading

Yar's Revenge is a bad panzer dragoon game

Painkiller Overdose
Painkiller Redemption are the bad Painkillers not made by the devs, do not get

A true shame.

Though everyone who loves Doom/Serious Sam-type arcade FPS should own Painkiller:Black. A classic.

Eltacoman said:
I've never played adventure games. Should I get the Lucas Arts pack, or Sam and Max. Or both?

IMHO Lucas Arts, I don't really like TellTales games, I've only played S&M:3rd season and Tales of Monkey island and found them very clunky

graywolf323

Gold Member
dang it I wanted to pick up Stubbs but I downloaded the demo and it crashes whenever I try to launch it on Windows 7 64-bit

even tried compatibility mode but no go

Asuma01

Neo Member
Yeah Ive spent quite a bit of time playing it a few months ago. its pretty unique and the game play hooks are unique and fun. it gets a bit hard on the last few levels but its not hard in a frustrating way.

bonesquad

Since none of the games I missed managed to make recap day, I'm forced to grab a few of these other sales.

Hmm... Chime, Greed Corp, and maybe AaAaAA!!! will still keep me well below my self imposed limit.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Metal Gear?! said:
The Path not really a game, and not in a good way
While the first part isn't exactly true, but understandable, the second one is simply stupid. I'm pretty sure you played the game for like 5 minutes walking down the path (which is NOT the goal of the game) and then uninstalled it.

Also, Eschalon seems great, too, but it's SOOO HARRRRD :mad:

PaulLFC

graywolf323 said:
dang it I wanted to pick up Stubbs but I downloaded the demo and it crashes whenever I try to launch it on Windows 7 64-bit

even tried compatibility mode but no go

This is an apparent fix, I don't know if it actually works though, haven't tried it myself:

I had previously tried everything from the normal, admin mode + compatability options, re-installed game + the patch and still getting the whole Stubbs.exe has stopped working error, untill I changed my windows Data Execution Prevention settings and added both Stubbs.exe and OpenALwEAX.exe to list under then "Turn on DEP for all programs except those I select:"

subversus said:
The single-player is tolerable at best, it's buggy, and joining randoms can be hit or miss because of ping. But I really like just the core concept of Magicka, so when it gets it right, it really is fun, like in local/online co-op or versus with friends.

Top Bottom