• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Larian claims it would have been 'more advantageous' to release Baldur's Gate III simultaneously on Xbox

Draugoth

Gold Member
Michael Douse, the director of publishing at Larian Studios, responded to exclusivity comments by saying that the studio would have been better off being able to release on all platforms, but that was not possible. Additionally, "he hopes Xbox gamers will reconsider the boycott once the game hits consoles."

User: When it is released on Xbox, it will sell much less than it should, I saw in some places that this game will be boycotted because you are on the Playstation side in the console war.

Michael Douse: I respect your passion, but I'd like you to understand that the most win-win situation for us would be to launch on all platforms at the same time. There is no incentive for us to have done otherwise. Unfortunately, it wasn't possible this time. Hope they reconsider when it comes out.

Baldur's Gate III is available now on PC and arrives on PlayStation 5 on September 6th. The Xbox Series S|X version does not yet have a release date.

Last edited:

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
there will be a boycott of this game because you are at Playstation side of console war.
jSBxie5.jpg

would have been better off being able to release on all platforms, but that was not possible
Unless they would have run into bankruptcy right at PC release this statement makes zero sense. If something's better, you just do it.

I honestly don’t see how they can get split screen on Act 3 running nicely on a Series S, they don’t even have an ETA? Microsoft dun goofed

kyoji

No accountability. Its either playstations fault or 3rd party. Loser mentality really, and you wont get meaningful changes because you arent giving the necessary criticism for them to take place.

The funny thing about all of this is if it werent for devs speaking out more and more, alot of these morons would be pushing a playstation parity clause for series development woes.

Last edited:

SenkiDala

Let's be honest, many very demanding games released on Series S on day one, yes it's too unpowered, yes it asks more efforts but all devs do it, why not them?

They just didn't prioritize the Xbox versions, I mean you think game dev at this level is what ? 3 dudes in a garage scratching their balls with one hand and the other hand on the keyboard ? They've to be organized, the Series S is 3 years old, its "weakness" isn't new, and even them are saying they'll be able to achieve it with time, which means that if they started the dev on Series S earlier, the game would have released on Xbox on day one.

But of course they have the rights to prioritize the PC version, or PS5 version or anything they want, but then it's on them, not that much on Xbox.

Last edited:
Anybody boycotting the game over the staggered release is pants-on-head retarded. I'll likely pick it up on Steam after a discount, but I'll pay attention to see if the console port is worth playing. I've probably got 4-6 months worth of gaming taken up by Starfield, then I'll get to BG3.

Why even answer to a stupid console war question like that? You only making yourself look llike unprofessional.
Yup! That's why you have a community team. Just let them do their job, and if you as a dev want to engage with customers, please go through the community team first before doing stuff like this...

I'm absolutely not boycotting this - that would be insane.

They might have got me caught up in the hype to pay full price if it had launched simultaneously, but I'll absolutely play this once it hits a good discount (or Gamepass) but I'm not paying full price months later, sorry - never done that and never will. They did me a favor to be honest, with Starfield and Diablo taking up so much time.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Are these knuckleheads also going to boycott Forza Motorsports? Let them
Boycot everything, then we are back at “ xbox has games”.

anthraticus

Banned
Lol....what's more advantageous is showing off shit like bear sex to get normies on board who would normally give 2 fucks about s d&d game, tb tacticsl combat...or any of thst shit...lol

Zuzu

Yeah I don’t know why he would reply to someone like that. But anyway, it’s unfortunate for them that they couldn’t release it on Xbox at the same time as PS5.

NickFire

Let's be honest, many very demanding games released on Series S on day one, yes it's too unpowered, yes it asks more efforts but all devs do it, why not them?

They just didn't prioritize the Xbox versions, I mean you think game dev at this level is what ? 3 dudes in a garage scratching their balls with one hand and the other hand on the keyboard ? They've to be organized, the Series S is 3 years old, its "weakness" isn't new, and even them are saying they'll be able to achieve it with time, which means that if they started the dev on Series S earlier, the game would have released on Xbox on day one.

But of course they have the rights to prioritize the PC version, or PS5 version or anything they want, but then it's on them, not that much on Xbox.
Sure. But don’t absolve Xbox for their own decisions. If Series S wasn’t hamstringing Series X this game would be launching on both platforms same time.

intbal

"I hope they reconsider once it's out"

That sounds like development for Xbox has ended and they are currently not planning on releasing the game for Xbox platforms.
Assuming the "they" he's talking about are Microsoft.
If he's talking about consumers, then no worries. Nobody is going to boycott this game because it was delayed. Stray has sold well on Xbox.
In either case, developers should never engage with dumb children on twitter.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Lol “boycott”

Why devs lose time engaging with retarded fanboys on Twitter I’ll never understand.
It's a no win situation and such a brain drain to be attempting to respond to social media. I applaud him for his attempts but at some point it's going to turn on him. The level headed responses won't be enough and the upcoming wave of backlash and negativity will overcome him. Godspeed young man.

Last edited:

Tg89

Larian just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about American culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Japan where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in America, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.
What this means is the american public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase BG3 for either system, nor will they purchase any of Larian's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Larian has alienated an entire market with this move.
Larian, publicly apologize and cancel BG3 for PS5 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

SenkiDala

Sure. But don’t absolve Xbox for their own decisions. If Series S wasn’t hamstringing Series X this game would be launching on both platforms same time.
And I don't, the Series S is a pain in some devs ass, I can't deny it I'm not delusional. But as I said in my post, it is known, the position of MS about it (parity in functionalities etc) is knows since 3 years, and since longer for devs, they know it, and if they wanted it on day one on Series S/X they should have planned it before, put some people on it earlier.

For this time we can't deny Spencer is being keeping his word about parity of functionalities on the Series S and X (which is basic respect for the consumers who got an S), I don't see this as a bad point.

Anyway Larian are great talented devs and it's obvious, BG3 seem to be an awesome game, but just on this point they fucked up, that's not only the MS fault.

K2D

Banned
Why even answer to a stupid console war question like that? You only making yourself look llike unprofessional.
Whether or not it is console war bait - he wants to reassure all of the player base - and if it were up to them, BG3 would launch in the PC&PS5 time frame.

Last edited:
And I don't, the Series S is a pain in some devs ass, I can't deny it I'm not delusional. But as I said in my post, it is known, the position of MS about it (parity in functionalities etc) is knows since 3 years, and since longer for devs, they know it, and if they wanted it on day one on Series S/X they should have planned it before, put some people on it earlier.

For this time we can't deny Spencer is being keeping his word about parity of functionalities on the Series S and X (which is basic respect for the consumers who got an S), I don't see this as a bad point.

Anyway Larian are great talented devs and it's obvious, BG3 seem to be an awesome game, but just on this point they fucked up, that's not only the MS fault.

Larian didn't fuck up lmao. It's Xbox's loss, not theirs.

CamHostage

Larian just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about American culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Japan where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in America, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

...Took me a second to be sure of the satire.

SenkiDala

Boycot? Damn, Xbox community deserves the developer just drop Xbox altogether. Bunch of whiny babies.
I don't know anyone in the Xbox community saying that, they must be 0,000000000000001%. Everyone wants BG3 and people won't boycott it... That's just some dumb retarded fanboys talking, we shouldn't even talk about them.

Top Bottom