• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lab Grown Meat on Sale in Landmark World First - Lab Grown Poultry: Chicken Bites - Singapore

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
What's wrong with regular meat?
not enough scifi

giphy.gif

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The best most cost effective way currently available to replicate vascular muscle tissue structures at cheap/cost effectively.... while sufficiently replicating myoblast's (small vein structures) is to use a plant based scaffold.

More importantly it is common knowledge to those who in fact stay on top of this technology that this technique is utilized essentially across all lab grown meat product's and only requires that natural enzymes be added to the foray to break down and dissolve the scaffold in order to ensure there is nothing there but the meat.

Yes you could culture the animal vein structures and grow an animal based scaffold, but this would had proved a far far more expensive method and is not where lab grown meat ventures have focused their intention's or invested.

Also, the use of plant based scaffolding on the wiki page is 10x larger than all other sections on wiki about Lab Grown Meat combined - due to the fact that it was the base technology the foundation for lab grown meat was built upon.

Currently, if you are looking to sample Lab Grown Meat - it will be meat grown on a plant based/soy gel based scaffold and this point has been discussed on forum's for the last 15 years of Lab Grown meat discussion.

The consensus - even if the scaffolding remains you will only ever in fact taste the meat/meat cells of the animal as the scaffolding makes up a mere .13 percent of the product in totality. That is Point Thirteen percent for the uninitiated.

Other's will claim and argue this number is anywhere from 14% to 18% and high as 23% when in fact those methods are not utilizing the latest most current cutting edge standards. They are more aimed at cost effectiveness/reproduction.

Scientists have created a new method for producing an edible scaffold for growing cultured meat.

The scaffold, which is made from textured soy protein, enables synthetic meat cells to grow into a beef-like product for human consumption.

The study, published in Nature Food, found the product performed well in preliminary taste tests.

Cellulose is the most abundant polymer in nature and constitutes the exoskeletons of plant leaves. Due to its abundance, it can be obtained at a relatively low cost. It is also versatile and biocompatible.

The scaffolding material is part of the bioreactors. They're describing combining the cultured meat from the bioreactors with plant-based proteins and fillers.

Plant proteins have a vastly different, and inferior, amino acid profile compared to animal proteins.

The scaffolding material is part of the bioreactors. They're describing combining the cultured meat from the bioreactors with plant-based proteins and fillers.

Plant proteins have a vastly different, and inferior, amino acid profile compared to animal proteins.
No, don't actually see this in the literature - what they say are yes - we use plant based solutions (ie: Scaffolding) and then transfer - CELLS - to move along the cultivation process and to finish nurturing/growing the meat - they nourish the cells with a plant based solution resolving the cultivation process.

Cow's eat grass. These cell's require the same nourishment/plant based ingredient's during growth states.

They go on to describe plant based product's that were on sale before they started growing this meat in the lab.

And the most important distinguishing factor - they label this product as Lab Grown Meat - not as a vegan mixed alternative.

"The cells used to start the process came from a cell bank and did not require the slaughter of a chicken because cells can be taken from biopsies of live animals. The nutrients supplied to the growing cells were all from plants.

A plant-based serum would be used in the next production line, the company said, but was not available when the Singapore approval process began two years ago. "

TindalosPup

Do you know what fixes the problems this addresses better than making fake meat? Stop going to grocery stores for your meat and support local farms and butchers. Or have supermarkets locally source meat.

The problem isn't agriculture in general- it's corporate agriculture. Bring back the little guys.

Do you know what fixes the problems this addresses better than making fake meat? Stop going to grocery stores for your meat and support local farms and butchers. Or have supermarkets locally source meat.

The problem isn't agriculture in general- it's corporate agriculture. Bring back the little guys.
That isn't going to help me grow meat at my own residence for penny's on the dime one day. I prefer lab grown meat if it tastes good or better and in particular is cheaper. Cut them all out and grow it yourself I say.

I do that already, I am a farmer
You do not. You grow animals. I don't want to take care of a dumb animal, clean up after it - feed it, house it. I want to grow the meat, in my house - my suburban house. For nearly free. Not the cost of an animal (good cow is upwards of 1600-3200 dollars) And I dont want to slaughter it, dispose of it or any of the overhead. Just want the meat, Home Lab Grown Meat kit's seriously need to be a thing soon.

DESTROYA

have you actually tried eating meat free food in the last couple years?

there are lots of alternatives to meat right now and it tastes just the same if not better. have been eating vegeterian food for years. a lot of food used to just look like what it was replacing and the taste was heaviled spiced with a the same chewy texture no matter what you were meant to be eating be it chicken, beef, pork, etc. these days it has improved significantly. beef actually tastes like beef. chicken has the same texture as real chicken.
That is absolutely not true if prepared correctly, nothing beats the real thing.
I’ve tried a couple of meat alternatives and they all are just edible to spit out in disgust.
We get you being a veggie but no need try make things seem better than they are.
If anything just have a balanced diet, alternate between going veggie and a regular carnivore, you can alternate days or just have meat 2-3 days a week theres really no need to cut it out completely to “save the planet” .

DESTROYA

That isn't going to help me grow meat at my own residence for penny's on the dime one day. I prefer lab grown meat if it tastes good or better and in particular is cheaper. Cut them all out and grow it yourself I say.
You think regular Joe blow will be able to buy kits to grow at home for pennies to the dime.............hahahahahahahahahaaha !
Your against killing animals but isn’t this also killing just a different way ?

You think regular Joe blow will be able to buy kits to grow at home for pennies to the dime.............hahahahahahahahahaaha !
Yes the average joe will eventually be able to buy kits to grow meat at home, for next to nothing - such is the abundance era we are entering.

This technology has been developed for close to 35 years now, with the last 15 largely devoted to cost reduction/cultivation methods and actually facilitating real trial's of meat grown in a lab.

The law of accelerating returns says give it 10 more years, just as the first flat screen flat LCD TV cost upwards of 400k then 6 years later better display's that cost a mere 5-6k arrived on store shelves. This will essentially happen across all industries, Lab Grown Meat Kits will be a thing.

No killing of any kind is required to cultivate lab grown meat.

KiNeMz

Banned
Efficient? Lab grown meat doesn't have to expend energy to move, to digest, to think or do anything other than grow and multiply. It also doesn't poop. Less energy wasted on activities that aren't related to growing, with a waste product that consists of mostly carbon dioxide and metabolite byproducts in solution.
Um. You realise a lab requires one thing that cows don't. Power. How is a powered method more efficient than a non powered method.?

DESTROYA

Yes the average joe will eventually be able to buy kits to grow meat at home, for next to nothing - such is the abundance era we are entering.

This technology has been developed for close to 35 years now, with the last 15 largely devoted to cost reduction/cultivation methods and actually facilitating real trial's of meat grown in a lab.

The law of accelerating returns says give it 10 more years, just as the first flat screen flat LCD TV cost upwards of 400k then 6 years later better display's that cost a mere 5-6k arrived on store shelves. This will essentially happen across all industries, Lab Grown Meat Kits will be a thing.

No killing of any kind is required to cultivate lab grown meat.
I’ll believe it when I see it and 10 years is a long way off.
You have to kill cultures cell that are living organisms from biopsy so yes you still have to kill .

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Um. You realise a lab requires one thing that cows don't. Power. How is a powered method more efficient than a non powered method.?
Um, you realize that growing plants, providing water to those plants, providing fuel the machines that work those plants, manufacturing fertilizer for those plants, harvesting the plants, transporting those plants to a cow farm, distributing the plants to the cow farm, butchering the cow, providing the modern lifestyle to the humans that both grow the plants and the cows, and powering the buildings that the plant farms, cow farms, and butchers rely on, all take this same magical resource called "power" too.

What on earth, the discussion of lab grown meat kit's utilizing pre made component's that require merely nothing have been the main topic among discussion group's researching how to bring this technology to the home.

These kit's will require no more electricity than 3d printer, and will be piecemeal - buy a syringe of cultivated cells here, the scaffolding and nutrient's there. The legit discussion right now is focused on nascent cultivation's, or - pre-grown meat that can finish being cultivated in the home as a resolution (still this will cost upwards of 6500k before the industry of home lab meat kit's kick into high gear bringing the price down across the board) you are inferring small lab grown meat kit's would need to meet industry level mass fabrication/energy needs and the truth is anything but.

lock2k

Banned
You're putting your nickname to great use!! :messenger_clapping::messenger_fistbump:

Kimahri

Banned
What on earth, the discussion of lab grown meat kit's utilizing pre made component's that require merely nothing have been the main topic among discussion group's researching how to bring this technology to the home.

These kit's will require no more electricity than 3d printer, and will be piecemeal - buy a syringe of cultivated cells here, the scaffolding and nutrient's there. The legit discussion right now is focused on nascent cultivation's, or - pre-grown meat that can finish being cultivated in the home as a resolution (still this will cost upwards of 6500k before the industry of home lab meat kit's kick into high gear bringing the price down across the board) you are inferring small lab grown meat kit's would need to meet industry level mass fabrication/energy needs and the truth is anything but.

He's probably one of those who thought 3D printing would never be an affordable diy thing either.

KiNeMz

Banned
Um, you realize that growing plants, providing water to those plants, providing fuel the machines that work those plants, manufacturing fertilizer for those plants, harvesting the plants, transporting those plants to a cow farm, distributing the plants to the cow farm, butchering the cow, providing the modern lifestyle to the humans that both grow the plants and the cows, and powering the buildings that the plant farms, cow farms, and butchers rely on, all take this same magical resource called "power" too.
this is regarding mass production factory farming. yes I totally agree. I don't support factory farming. Regenerative farming which is what i am actually referring too, let me be clear. Different story.

TheMan

Lab grown meat is definitely going to be a thing, but I think market forces will probably push lab grown beef to be more popular since cows are much worse for the environment (at least when grown the way we grow them now) than chickens. That said my understanding is that currently the reagents needed to make lab grown meat are just too expensive but that will probably change. Honestly it's a win win- meat eaters still get steak and animals will no longer be harmed.

Tschumi

Straight up, if this eliminates KFC brain burgers or chicken mcnuggets with giant grey chunks in the middle of them, or, fucking veins, I'm all for it. I'm actually anticipating it. I like matte meat. I detest cartilage and such.

I won't mind it if the price and taste is good. but otherwise I would rather go with regular meat. personally I never really get the rationale on "ethical" meat since whatever you do, unless you're not killing the animal, it'll ultimatly be "unethical". but that's just me /shrug

borborygmus

Straight up, if this eliminates KFC brain burgers or chicken mcnuggets with giant grey chunks in the middle of them, or, fucking veins, I'm all for it. I'm actually anticipating it. I like matte meat. I detest cartilage and such.

This is a thing? I never noticed chunks of brain when I used to eat fast food. D:

Last edited:

Ichabod

Banned
It's all fun and games until someone accidentally leaves their meat reactor on overnight and the flesh chunk begins to grow, unchecked, until it becomes a sentient, lovecraftian biomass capable of devouring entire cities.

Top Bottom