• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you eat meat grown Matrix-style?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
For those of you who might not know, the tendency for blind chickens to be more docile stems from the fact that chickens peck at other chickens, oftentimes to death, when they see blood. This is why rose-colored glasses were invented for chickens so that it would be harder for them to notice blood on other chickens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_eyeglasses

ShinNL

We're really becoming a disgusting race, aren't we?

I'm okay with this. But I'm not against pricier meat, some people just eat too much of it.

Korey

I have a better idea.

Instead of removing their brain, what if we hooked all the chickens' brains up to some sort of chicken virtual reality, where they can think they're running around freely and grazing in an open field?

V_Arnold

At those Always-Honest picture post:

This is not a reality I want to live in.
No more meat for me, as far as I am concerned.

Zaptruder

Banned
That seems expensive though... if they were to be made into nice, animal-like shapes.
I like the "no frills" version of just vat scraping or precut blobs.

Point is... if we can't obtain 'ideal' results from vat grown meat (i.e. lack of muscle texture - although it is a problem that is been worked on), maybe we should simply readjust our approach instead.

Why grow meat into animal like meat, then process it into not animal like meat... skip the step, and create new foods and cuisines that are nonetheless just as tasty.

....is this a thing, or did you just make it up?

They are things in isolation... but it is an original creative synthesis, that is likely to be independently arrived at by other creative technology minded thinkers.

Prax

Point is... if we can't obtain 'ideal' results from vat grown meat (i.e. lack of muscle texture - although it is a problem that is been worked on), maybe we should simply readjust our approach instead.

Why grow meat into animal like meat, then process it into not animal like meat... skip the step, and create new foods and cuisines that are nonetheless just as tasty..

OH, that is what you meant?
I'm fine with this.

Forget how real meat is textured and tastes like anyway! Let's just invent better food so that animal meat seems like a disgusting, bland alternative.

Zaptruder

Banned
OH, that is what you meant?
I'm fine with this.

Forget how real meat is textured and tastes like anyway! Let's just invent better food so that animal meat seems like a disgusting, bland alternative.

Genetically engineered future foods... There's a business in there.

That seems horrific and hugely disrespectful to the animals to me. It says a lot about our relationship with the animals we consume that this is something we are considering.

The way animals are treated now is often barbaric and painful for them, but this isn't a solution, at all.

Suairyu

Banned
Then chicken would cost 10 dollars a pound and you would only eat it on your birthday.
Free range chicken is more expensive than battery farmed, but not that much more. In the UK, you're talking about an added third to the price, maybe just over that, sometimes less.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
No. I mainly eat scottish-cow that is only fed grass and spend's 99% of its life in the green scottish fields.

Calves.Cow.jpg

Red

I would not care.

I think animals should be treated well in general, and I don't like the idea of making them brain dead and calling it improvement, but I need to eat. When I'm mowing through a couple of rotisserie chickens for dinner, I'm not thinking about what kind of a life they had, regardless of my opinion on ethical farming.

akira28

Finger licking GOOD GOD!

Yeah this. Dear holy crap.

Absolutely. I have had a full reassessment of the choices I make as a consumer, in all products that have a welfare factor. I am in denial about my impending return to vegetarianism but I could never be a vegan.

Wait a second...return to vegetarianism? Who let this guy's fake news in here?

How about instead of designing gross shit, they just give chickens some fucking space? I've seen chicken farms on the eastern shore of my home state. They're fucking small. Everything is indoors except for a small pool of waste in the back. Let someone other than Darth fucking Vader design a humane chicken farm and go with that.

Would it affect taste? Otherwise why not? Sure it might come off as disgusting and inhumane, but we're already deep in that conundrum.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
How hard is it for you to grow your own chickens and slaughter them yourself? To think that it's been less than 100 years since I watched my Pop chop the head off a chook in the backyard and be eating a piece of it within the evening.

danwarb

I don't eat meat. Mindless meat wouldn't get me started.

It's a nice idea though, to minimize distress. I'm glad people are thinking about this.

Zaptruder

Banned
Christ, another animal rights thread?

In some ways, it's the ideal logical compromise between animal rights and eat more chicken advocates...

We want animal rights because we empathize with their suffering.

Take away their ability to suffer, and pack more meat production efficiency and cleanliness into the same areas... it should be a total win win right?

Of course the emotional factor in play is - ZOMG, What if WE were those chickens?! That's fucking sickening dude!

Yes... indeed... what if we were those chickens? Shitting over each other, scratching each other to shit... living short, brutish, violent, insufferable lives because some well-meaning but ignorant human decided that they would assuage their moral pangs at my theorized suffering, by buying the chicken in the packaging labelled... Free Range. I'd rather be dead I think. If that's not an option, lobotomy would be an acceptable compromise between me not feeling this shit, and you been able to gorge on the flesh off my body.

Koomaster

I'm horrified but I can't even express why. The proposal makes a lot of sense in a way, but it seems even more cruel also. x____x

Kentpaul

How hard is it for you to grow your own chickens and slaughter them yourself? To think that it's been less than 100 years since I watched my Pop chop the head off a chook in the backyard and be eating a piece of it within the evening.

don't they like make a shitload of noise at 6am... the cocks anyway.

mantidor

I don't think modern cities would allow that, and the population is already mostly urban in most countries.

I think i would rather eat packaged meat grown in a lab environment. Im not opposed to this, i would totally eat the food, its not enough science for my food. I either want none at all or lots.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
don't they like make a shitload of noise at 6am... the cocks anyway.

Nah my childhood memory only recalls chooks. He used to let them out of the chickenpen an hour or two before us kids arrived so they'd eat up whatever insects they could find in the backyard while we'd run amok trying to catch them again to save him the trouble.

I don't think modern cities would allow that, and the population is already mostly urban in most countries.

True, though this all happened in a house in the city with quite a small backyard the last time I checked. I know that there are certain licenses you need to keep chickens on your premises, at least that is the story in my city council.

Kentpaul

This thread makes me feel a little sick every time it bumps!

Being Scottish all my meat walks the fields around me!

Hmm, seems to me like its for the best. Obviously its a little bit of a shock to the system but im well aware the condition of animals now and this isn too far of a leap from that.

Ill eat it and i wont think twice about it.

Orayn

Sure. This is more ethical than factory farming and is a good step in the direction of just growing meat without the need for an animal.

Then chicken would cost 10 dollars a pound and you would only eat it on your birthday.

that would be a good thing. you dont need meat every day.

I would be in for in vitro meat though, since it can solve so many problems that meat is causing right now.

Wake up, chicken...

This post went completely unnoticed, but 10/10 in my book.

I mean, you've got this complicated assembly going on there, you've got all sorts of weird shit you gotta take care of, and now you've got an increased energy bill on farms because you've got to provide electric shocks to all your chickens to stimulate them into producing muscle.

Somehow I doubt this concept is getting off the ground.

I guess on the plus side you could run this system anywhere without any issue.

Sure, but you can pack 3x as many chickens in the same space. I'm sure he worked out the financial angles and it should be more profitable for the farmers. Otherwise it would have been listed as a potential problem.

The bit about exercise seems like it could be a bigger problem. Finding just the right amount of electrical stimulation to the muscles might prove difficult.

If they can get it to taste the same (or better) I'm all for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom