• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After first lab-grown burger, test-tube chicken is next on menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
mcdonaldspinkslime.jpg

Two years after scientists cooked up the first test tube beef hamburger, researchers in Israel are working on an even trickier recipe: the world's first lab-grown chicken.

Professor Amit Gefen, a bioengineer at Tel Aviv University, has begun a year-long feasibility study into manufacturing chicken in a lab, funded by a non-profit group called the Modern Agriculture Foundation which hopes "cultured meat" will one day replace the raising of animals for slaughter.

The foundation's co-founder Shir Friedman hopes to have produced "a recipe for how to culture chicken cells" by the end of the year.

The researchers say their task is more difficult than producing the first lab-grown hamburger, a $300,000 beef patty cooked up at Maastricht University in the Netherlands after five years of research financed by Google co-founder Sergey Brin.

Rather than gathering small fibers of cow muscle into one big chunk of meat, Gefen will try to make a whole piece of chicken, starting from a single cell.

Animal rights group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals offered a $1 million prize to the first lab able to use chicken cells to create commercially viable test tube meat, but the 2014 deadline passed without anyone laying claim.

Gefen, an expert in tissue engineering, said the plan is to culture chicken cells and let them divide and multiply. In previous research he used growth factors extracted from tumors to stimulate cells, but this is not appropriate for food.

Some big name investors are entering the field. Yahoo co-founder Jerry Yang and Asia's wealthiest man Li Ka-shing have invested in Hampton Creek, which is creating plant-based substitutes for eggs. Microsoft's Bill Gates and Twitter founders Evan Williams and Biz Stone have backed a company called Beyond Meat. PayPal co-founder Peter Thiel has backed Modern Meadow, which creates food from tissue engineering.

Growing chicken in a lab would be a big step. It accounts for nearly a third of the world’s total meat, second behind pork, which it is expected to overtake sometime in the next decade, according to an OECD report.

Source

Chicken sounds like a hell of a lot harder to replicate than minced meat, but sooner than later the meat industry will need to come to terms with the fact that cultured flesh and similar substitutes are the future, at least for mass consumption. It rubs me the wrong way as a foodie, but it is how it is.

hD2Zm9J.gif

Air

Banned
Eh, If it tastes the same, id eat it. No need to cause the mass animal suffering if it can be avoided.

Damn, so when will the beef hamburger be available at the market?

Eh, If it tastes the same, id eat it. No need to cause the mass animal suffering if it can be avoided.

I'll eat it even if the taste is compromised. If it tastes like tofu, it's good to me. But it should be equally or more nutritious than the regular meat with less hormones and carcinogens.

Raonak

Banned
Awesome, as long as it tastes good :D

I imagine it's gonna get to a point where killing animals for food is not gonna be common.

I wonder what vegetarians will do once engineered meats become mainsteam? Since nothing died in the process.

Why not just raise chickens? It's not like they take a lot of room. Seems like a waste of research money just so we don't have to kill chicken. But chicken being killed is a good thing, it reminds us not to waste the meat.

The Lamp

Why not just raise chickens? It's not like they take a lot of room. Seems like a waste of research money just so we don't have to kill chicken. But chicken being killed is a good thing, it reminds us not to waste the meat.

Because the moment this technique gets perfected and scaled up you can end world hunger.

Think big.

Syncytia

This is awesome. Wonder how long it will take to make it cost effective and all the energy inputs required compared to livestock.

I patiently await the arguments about this and lab grown organs.

Barzul

Vegan here: I would never eat lab-grown meat myself, but I would encourage the meat eaters I know to eat it.

So being Vegan is health driven vs animal rights driven for you? I'm just curious how the latter group would reconcile with these developments if they make serious headway in the coming years.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
We could end world hunger today if we wanted to.

I don't see how lab-grown meat is gonna do it.

Geopolitics is what gets in the way.

No way lab grown meat is going to get a free pass. We can't even get Golden Rice properly trialed due to eco-terrorism.

Syncytia

Because the moment this technique gets perfected and scaled up you can end world hunger.

Think big.

Not necessarily. Who is going to grow it? First will be the developed nations, and selling to poor countries won't be feasible. The solution is for countries to invest in the infrastructure/technology themselves so they can create their own manufacturing capability but the price will probably be too much at first. And this is ignoring the patents that will be surely made for this that could prevent others from making use of the technology. And what about perceptions of lab grown meat in other cultures? I suspect many people will be very skeptical about eating this meat.

I agree with your sentiment; this could potentially be huge for hunger and food insecurity but there are other obstacles that need to be overcome in addition.

Think big.

You don't need fake meat to end world hunger, you need to stop the bad people in the world from taking away the food meant for the hungry, and the motherfuckers who recruit men away for militias when they can feed their family through simple farming, there's no need to grow food in a vat, and there's nothing wrong with raising animals for consumption. Fresh eggs, fresh chicken, pork, home grown vegetables, none of it needs to come from a vat. These people can feed themselves when given the chance, it's not about us feeding them, it's about giving them the environment so they can feed themselves.

Yeah, think bigger.

jstripes

Banned

Because a chicken is more than just meat. All the food energy goes into growing the entirety of the chicken.

The Lamp

You don't need fake meat to end world hunger, you need to stop the bad people in the world from taking away the food meant for the hungry, and the motherfuckers who recruit men away for militias when they can feed their family through simple farming, there's no need to grow food in a vat, and there's nothing wrong with raising animals for consumption. Fresh eggs, fresh chicken, pork, home grown vegetables, none of it needs to come from a vat. These people can feed themselves when given the chance, it's not about us feeding them, it's about giving them the environment so they can feed themselves.

Yeah, think bigger.

What are you even ranting about?

Your rant is completely separate from the fact that perfecting and scaling up a technique to grow animal protein at extremely cheap cost would be a revolutionary step toward meeting world food needs. The amount of food in the world today CANNOT keep up with population growth rates. We are not growing enough food fast enough.

Artificial chicken doesn't eat, doesn't take up space, doesn't get sick, doesn't need maintenance before slaughter, etc.

I guess I was jumping the gun when I said "the moment", but yeah, when this technology is perfected it will be a huge step in the right direction.

Not necessarily. Who is going to grow it? First will be the developed nations, and selling to poor countries won't be feasible. The solution is for countries to invest in the infrastructure/technology themselves so they can create their own manufacturing capability but the price will probably be too much at first. And this is ignoring the patents that will be surely made for this that could prevent others from making use of the technology. And what about perceptions of lab grown meat in other cultures? I suspect many people will be very skeptical about eating this meat.

I agree with your sentiment; this could potentially be huge for hunger and food insecurity but there are other obstacles that need to be overcome in addition.

Obviously, but everything's gotta start somewhere. We gotta refine the technology first.

Not really. Starvation is a factor of too many non-technological factors for us to feasibly end it tomorrow, unless you're speaking of a truly all-encompassing "we."

The food is readily available. America's breadbasket alone grows more than enough food to feed every single person on the planet. It's the cost of transporting and distributing it that's the problem.

Which again, this lab grown meat is not going to solve.

The Lamp

The food is readily available. America's breadbasket alone grows more than enough food to feed every single person on the planet. It's the cost of transporting and distributing it that's the problem.

Which again, this lab grown meat is not going to solve.

What? I remember learning in my geography course that the human population is projected to outgrow the earths food supply pretty soon.

There's also this
http://www.earth-policy.org/mobile/books/out/ote10_2

Mecha

Yeah right, Americans waste a huge amount of food and still kill billions of animals. How about we don't waste water on making their food and food on feeding them just so we can slaughter them?

webkatt

Eww.

This whole vegatarian this is looking pretty good right now.

I don't understand the need for meat analogs though.

injurai

Banned

Yeah, think bigger.

ProfessorMoran
(Today, 05:41 PM)

Syncytia

What? I remember learning in my geography course that the human population is projected to outgrow the earths food supply pretty soon.

There's also this
http://www.earth-policy.org/mobile/books/out/ote10_2

I think what he's saying more or less ties in with my post, just because the technology exists doesn't mean poor countries that have a lot of food insecurity will be precluded from this due to costs of developing the manufacturing base for this and developing the specialized knowledge needed. Additionally, we already don't send all of our extra food because it isn't cost effective for anyone involved. India and China this could take off in a huge way but places with widespread food insecurity, especially Central Africa, probably not so much. Hopefully countries in Eastern and Southern Africa would be able to develop infrastructure for this, but for them to develop the manufacturing capacity to meet their domestic demands AND be able to export to other countries would be a major undertaking. I think it would be possible but that's very long term.

c-murph

Damn, so when will the beef hamburger be available at the market?

I'll eat it even if the taste is compromised. If it tastes like tofu, it's good to me. But it should be equally or more nutritious than the regular meat with less hormones and carcinogens.

Gotta git mai gainz

squidyj

What is the point of decrying progress because the technology isn't flawless?

Do you go into VR threads and post WAKE ME UP WHEN HOLODECK LOL

I haven't but I will now.

Don't get me wrong I think this technology is fantastic progress and I can't wait for it to become economically viable and eventually even cheaper than natural means. It lights my imagination though, as to what might be possible for us in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom