• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lab Grown Meat on Sale in Landmark World First - Lab Grown Poultry: Chicken Bites - Singapore

"Cultured meat, produced in bioreactors without the slaughter of an animal, has been approved for sale by a regulatory authority for the first time. The development has been hailed as a landmark moment across the meat industry.

The “chicken bites”, produced by the US company Eat Just, have passed a safety review by the Singapore Food Agency and the approval could open the door to a future when all meat is produced without the killing of livestock, the company said."

mcz117chief

That's true... of course there's really no reason for them to live, in that case. It would be for the best though. A lot of future techs I read about ~10 years ago seem to be right around the corner now. Should be an interesting time.
I am all for ecological/organic agriculture, so if cows are bred in clean, healthy and natural environment and are then slaughtered with care then I have no issues with eating meat from live animals. My biggest gripe is with industrialized slaughter and lab grown meat could put an end to it. At that point organic meat will become a luxury, like it used to be a few centuries back.

No human flavor yet? it is inevitable.

Pork?

Last edited:

buizel

Banned
This is the best way forward.

Less farms means less animal cruelty AND less gas emissions into the atmosphere, since farms and cows are very bad for that.

People should really get behind it. So many positives.

Last edited:

Mikado

They probably won't mind not getting eaten.
JC5WUgS.jpeg

Some say science has gone too far. I say it hasn't gone too far enough.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I’ll give it ten years, and let people be the lab rats. Should know a little about any long-term effects by then.

There’s nothing wrong with a future where meat doesn’t involve something dying, as long as we have the quality of living to afford that luxury. I’d just be wary of the first attempts.

CAB_Life

I'm fine with this, if the taste and safety is sufficient, even though it signals the death of a segment of the farming industry. I do hope that some kind of financial and life-planning is extended to farmers if/ when this becomes widescale.

We've had fake meat in the US for years, this is nothing but an attempt to throw people off that are ignorant.
This isn't fake meat, it is meat cultured from fat cells - fake meat is not a product of cultured fat cells nourished and grown in a lab to be exactly the same type of meat you can buy in store.

It's the same exact meat. Without the animals death/involvement. Otherwise the proposition that Meat can be completely replicated by the science community as "Lab Grown Meat from Fat Cells" is a complete failure.

It's the same meat.

That is how I read it too. Seems the plant ingredients are in the bioreactor as a "food source" for the meat to grow.

Correct me if I'm wrong. We need to be looking at land, water and humane ways to provide for us.

KiNeMz

Banned
I still think the energy i/O will never be as efficient as a natural cow. All those people harping on it will reduce our emissions need their head checked. Regenerative farming is most likely the only way to reverse carbon output. And it requires cows.

It's the same exact meat. Without the animals death/involvement. Otherwise the proposition that Meat can be completely replicated by the science community as "Lab Grown Meat from Fat Cells" is a complete failure.

It's the same meat.

it's literally not, you are literally arguing over consensual science that it's not the same meat. Or to be more specific the method used alters the meat from having the same benefits and increases the likelyhood of problems to but it mildly.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I have an open mind about this, although it sounds like some great reset shit on the surface. Like it's something you get delivered to your pod once a month instead of your insect paste ration.

it's literally not, you are literally arguing over consensual science that it's not the same meat. Or to be more specific the method used alters the meat from having the same benefits and increases the likelyhood of problems to but it mildly.
Consensual Science....

You mean it's literally not the same as killing an animal and taking the meat.

Meanwhile legit Molecular Science say's it's the same meat. The scientists growing the meat in cell culture - cite it tastes like the same meat.

And to top it off, genetically it is the same meat. In fact, genetically it's improved - same meat better genetic meat attributes.

It's the same meat.

Last edited:
It's the same Meat.

Artificiality
Although cultured meat is real meat consisting of genuine animal muscle cells, fat and support cells, as well as blood vessels,[153] that are the same in traditional meat, some consumers may find the high-tech production process repugnant.

DESTROYA

Look at all these GAF hippies , anything grown in a “lab” will be extremely expensive .
I grew up with farm life so yeah these meat farms are a bit gross but getting fresh meat from small farms that looks and takes care of its animals is the best way to go .
People should buy farm fresh local. Not this lab grown “fake” meat.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
"The cells for Eat Just’s product are grown in a 1,200-litre bioreactor and then combined with plant-based ingredients. Initial availability would be limited, the company said, and the bites would be sold in a restaurant in Singapore. The product would be significantly more expensive than conventional chicken until production was scaled up, but Eat Just said it would ultimately be cheaper."

^Soy alert.

Fbh

I guess if we ever get to the point where it tastes the same, costs the same and it had been around long enough to discard any potential health issues I wouldn't mind switching to this

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I had homemade fried chicken today, so delicious. These chicken meat substitutes maybe taste like KFC if you are drunk, but they cannot match the real taste yet. I had imitation chicken tenders in SF half a year ago, and they were okay, but nothing compared to what I had today.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I still think the energy i/O will never be as efficient as a natural cow. All those people harping on it will reduce our emissions need their head checked. Regenerative farming is most likely the only way to reverse carbon output. And it requires cows.

Efficient? Lab grown meat doesn't have to expend energy to move, to digest, to think or do anything other than grow and multiply. It also doesn't poop. Less energy wasted on activities that aren't related to growing, with a waste product that consists of mostly carbon dioxide and metabolite byproducts in solution.

"The cells for Eat Just’s product are grown in a 1,200-litre bioreactor and then combined with plant-based ingredients. Initial availability would be limited, the company said, and the bites would be sold in a restaurant in Singapore. The product would be significantly more expensive than conventional chicken until production was scaled up, but Eat Just said it would ultimately be cheaper."

^Soy alert.
The best most cost effective way currently available to replicate vascular muscle tissue structures at cheap/cost effectively.... while sufficiently replicating myoblast's (small vein structures) is to use a plant based scaffold.

More importantly it is common knowledge to those who in fact stay on top of this technology that this technique is utilized essentially across all lab grown meat product's and only requires that natural enzymes be added to the foray to break down and dissolve the scaffold in order to ensure there is nothing there but the meat.

Yes you could culture the animal vein structures and grow an animal based scaffold, but this would had proved a far far more expensive method and is not where lab grown meat ventures have focused their intention's or invested.

Also, the use of plant based scaffolding on the wiki page is 10x larger than all other sections on wiki about Lab Grown Meat combined - due to the fact that it was the base technology the foundation for lab grown meat was built upon.

Currently, if you are looking to sample Lab Grown Meat - it will be meat grown on a plant based/soy gel based scaffold and this point has been discussed on forum's for the last 15 years of Lab Grown meat discussion.

The consensus - even if the scaffolding remains you will only ever in fact taste the meat/meat cells of the animal as the scaffolding makes up a mere .13 percent of the product in totality. That is Point Thirteen percent for the uninitiated.

Other's will claim and argue this number is anywhere from 14% to 18% and high as 23% when in fact those methods are not utilizing the latest most current cutting edge standards. They are more aimed at cost effectiveness/reproduction.

Scientists have created a new method for producing an edible scaffold for growing cultured meat.

The scaffold, which is made from textured soy protein, enables synthetic meat cells to grow into a beef-like product for human consumption.

The study, published in Nature Food, found the product performed well in preliminary taste tests.

Cellulose is the most abundant polymer in nature and constitutes the exoskeletons of plant leaves. Due to its abundance, it can be obtained at a relatively low cost. It is also versatile and biocompatible.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I’ll be happy to eat something that tastes just like regular meat and has the same or better health profile when it’s ready for prime time. Until then, though...I’ll still be eating animals

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I’ll be happy to eat something that tastes just like regular meat and has the same or better health profile when it’s ready for prime time. Until then, though...I’ll still be eating animals
have you actually tried eating meat free food in the last couple years?

there are lots of alternatives to meat right now and it tastes just the same if not better. have been eating vegeterian food for years. a lot of food used to just look like what it was replacing and the taste was heaviled spiced with a the same chewy texture no matter what you were meant to be eating be it chicken, beef, pork, etc. these days it has improved significantly. beef actually tastes like beef. chicken has the same texture as real chicken.

Last edited:

JSoup

Banned
That's true... of course there's really no reason for them to live, in that case.

Some culling would still be necessary, and probably as soon as the lab grown stuff is cheap to produce and being sold everywhere. Generations of domestication have made most cows too dumb to take care of themselves without humans. We'd have to completely stop breeding the current version altogether.

Edit: And to comment on the actual topic, I'm down for this. Always willing to try something new, all the better if it actually turns out to be a quality product.

Last edited:
Top Bottom