• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

L’Oreal Drops Transgender Model After ‘All White People’ Racism Post

NoName999

You know, it's quite funny.

Whenever we have a topic about a white racist saying something offensive, GAF always go the "mental illness" excuse and try to come up with whatever justification that person had for being racist and that we shouldn't look down on them.

But a black transwoman ACTUALLY getting mentally stressed out about the rise of exert racism rants and suddenly, she doesn't deserve the "she's mentally ill" excuse?

Come on, now.

That's the thing. I don't feel guilty about being German but I call out any form of nazism/facism wherever I see it because I personally think that it's my historical responsibility to prevent something as horrible as WW2 from happening again.

I just don't like people trying to make feel guilty about it.

And no one is, if you can understand that then it shouldn't be hard to understand in other areas. It's not about guilt.

Yeah thats really racist calling literally every one from a entire ethnicity violent.

If somebody would have said this about black people or latinos oh boy.

There are a bunch of shit head white people nowadays but thats no excuse to generalize.

Its so stupid some people think its ok to shit on white people because they have their "white privilege".

Yeah thats really racist calling literally every one from a entire ethnicity violent.

If somebody would have said this about black people or latinos oh boy.

There are a bunch of shit head white people nowadays but thats no excuse to generalize.

Its so stupid some people think its ok to shit on white people because they have their "white privilege".
Please stop with the false equivalence of "if this is about Black or Latino PoC, then _____" claims when the PoC qualifier already changes the dynamic of the entire conversation.

Do you throw up arms when feminists drag the patriarchy?

Why was my statement racist but theirs wasn't? Furthermore what was racist about it?

There was nothing racist about the statement you quoted. The fact that you then needed to edit that post to create a statement that is used frequently by racists to suggest why white people are superior is mindboggling.

I'm considered a white person and the only thing that get's me mad is being called a racist for no fucking reason whatsoever. I know why white people are considred racist, but I'm sorry to tell you I'm not. You don't know jack shit about me, not what I do to help minorities or other political viewpoints I have, yet I must be racist because of my skin color. Fuck that noise. Me speaking about this doesn't mean I don't acknowledge issues PoC have whatsoever (which are worse than me being called a racist, obviously, but that. doesn't. make. it. ok.)

Fellow white here: if this is what really gets you mad, what drives you over the edge, what really digs at you, then take some honest time to really consider why that is. That doesn't mean respond with an angry "you don't know me, you don't know what I've been through" etc. post because I already know I don't. No need to respond at all, actually. Take a week and just think about it, what that assertion means, what value you place on it and why.

This isn't a dressing down or trying to belittle you or anything, it's just repeating a suggestion someone told me once that helped me and continues to help me.

Yeoman

There was nothing racist about the statement you quoted. The fact that you then needed to edit that post to create a statement that is used frequently by racists to suggest why white people are superior is mindboggling.
You think it's fine to suggest that white people are responsible for most negative modern scientific achievements (which it is) but freakout when it is pointed out that they are also responsible for most positive modern scientific achievements.
Why do you think you feel that way?

Personally I find that double standard quite telling...perhaps even quite racist that one only feels comfortable associating negative things with a group of people.

Elandyll

Banned

Whenever we have a topic about a white racist saying something offensive, GAF always go the "mental illness" excuse and try to come up with whatever justification that person had for being racist and that we shouldn't look down on them.

But a black transwoman ACTUALLY getting mentally stressed out about the rise of exert racism rants and suddenly, she doesn't deserve the "she's mentally ill" excuse?

Come on, now.
But at the same time, whenever someone on GAF attempts the mental illness card for a white racist they are (rightfully) called on their shit..
So...

NoName999

It's just funny when the one time where the mental illness excuse is actually applicable, they're dogpiling her.

Admittedly I'm just ranting at this point lol

And I like how "racist" is apparently the worst insult in the history of mankind lol

Beefy

You think it's fine to suggest that white people are responsible for most negative modern scientific achievements (which it is) but freakout when it is pointed out that they are also responsible for most positive modern scientific achievements.

Personally I find that double standard quite telling...perhaps even quite racist that one only feels comfortable associating negative things with a group of people.

Because white people get far more chance to get them achievements, due to racism.

The thing is you really don't have to educate me on anything, that's the point. I experienced racism myself, due to my actual heritage and my name, some really awful shit actually. so I don't see what's there to teach me. That condescending tone is what riles many people up when it comes to these discussions.
I'll read the article later, thanks for that.

There's no other choice but to take it personally. I'm one of these "white people" that are supposed to be racist, so obviously I'm going to take that shit personally. I had multiple "discussions" with people in here that just tried to render everything i said invalid simply by bringing up my skin color.
No worries, I'm supporting people as good as I can, despite me needing some support as well.

Calling an entire race racist is...racist. Yes, no matter what race you call it. And no, at least in my case it's not like getting called the n-word, it's just racist to do it, which is not OK. I'm being lumped in together with Trump supporters and other assholes because I'm white while doing the best I can to make things better. Shit is ridiculous.

I actually do more than that, and yet more often than not, even in this very thread I'm met with blatant racism, condescension and other BS. And yeah, me bringing this up is reason enough for other people to feel like they have to call me out on my privilege and my "need to feel comforted by PoC." or "fragile" and other shit. That's where the disucssion always derails, and I'm kinda tired of it tbh.

I still don't get how not being OK with getting called a racist or complicit with racism is being fragile. Please elaborate. I'm sure Heather Heyer was fragile as well. Not.

You've experienced "racism": but you dont understand the experiences of people with a different skin tone than you.

So yes, you do need to be educated. It's all in listening about the human experience.

That said, life gets a whole lot easier if you decide to not take things personally, however difficult that may be.

There's actually a book on this https://www.amazon.com/dp/1878424319/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Yeoman

Because white people get far more chance to get them achievements, due to racism.
How does that relate to being fine with associating a group of people with negative feats but not positive ones?
I'm starting to get the feeling many of you actually agree with this person.

necrosis

she's absolutely right, but i guess it makes sense that l'oreal needs to save face in front of the white ppl they pander to

fuck them, though

I mean there wasn't anything you said in particular I wanted to respond to. I wanted to expand on what I had written earlier for the sake of clarity and didn't want to bury it in an edit of an earlier post. All it really says is that not all forms of discrimination are created equal, hence the "asymmetry" indicated in the title, an example of which might be stated as "Discriminating against a black person has more moral negative consequences than discriminating against a white person." Which, yeah, is something I believe, and it's fine if you don't.

In american society, discrimination is punished.

No matter the target

Beefy

How does that relate to being fine with associating a group of people with negative feats but not positive ones?
I'm starting to get the feeling many of you actually agree with this person.

It's pretty obvious how it relates. A white person who is very gifted is far more likely to be able to help humanity then a PoC who is very gifted due to racism. A gifted white person is far more likely to get the job they deserve then a PoC. So more white people achieve positive feats as they are far more likely to be given a chance to.

I don't agree with her wording. But every white person has gained from a form of racism. ( not every white person is racist).

Come on, now.
GAF is usually the one making fun of the MSM for using the illness excuse, not the one peddling it.

Because they're not responsible for most of the achievements in the first place?

War though. The war machine is.

Do you even know anyone that's white? What the hell is this? Heather Heyer was white and died protesting against Nazis and for equality. I'm sure if you protested it would totally have rubbed her the wrong way.
It would probably have rubbed her the wrong way if you called her a racist.

Wtf is this? The dude i was speaking to is WHITE.

Wtf does Heather Heyer have to do with the fact that whypipo don't like how PoC protest?

Wamb0wneD

You've experienced "racism": but you dont understand the experiences of people with a different skin tone than you.

So yes, you do need to be educated. It's all in listening about the human experience.

That said, life gets a whole lot easier if you decide to not take things personally, however difficult that may be.

There's actually a book on this https://www.amazon.com/dp/1878424319/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Seriously man, I think my black stepfather and my black godfather talked with me about enough of these issues. I know how it's like to have worse chances to get a job because of my heritage, I know how it's like to get dehumanized because of it. I got told I should die like my father did for over a year almost every day. And here you are pretending I need to be teached anything.

You speaking in broad terms and lumping me together with people you think have no clue what the issue is can only be countered by speaking about my personal experiences, because you want to lecture me as a person. Saying I shouldn't take it personally in that context is laughable. Not even mentioning the fact you put "racism" in quotation marks. Some insulting shit in here. I'm out of here now though. Continue your teachings on someone else please.

Wtf is this? The dude i was speaking to is WHITE.

Wtf does Heather Heyer have to do with the fact that whypipo don't like how PoC protest?
She was white and protested for the cause of minorities. She and lot's of other people don't have any problem with PoC protesting, despite being white. It's mind blowing, I know. I'm out of here now.

It's pretty obvious how it relates. A white person who is very gifted is far more likely to be able to help humanity then a PoC who is very gifted due to racism. A gifted white person is far more likely to get the job they deserve then a PoC. There for more white people achieve positive feats as they are far more likely to be given a chance to.

I don't agree with her wording. But every white person has gained from a form racism. ( not every white person is racist).

Well that or they'll have their research stolen, a white person will take credit for it, and they'll get left out the history books.

Doubly so if they're a woman.

Seriously man, I think my black stepfather and my black godfather talked with me about enough of these issues. I know how it's like to have worse chances to get a job because of my heritage, I know how it's like to get dehumanized because of it. I got told I should die like my father did for over a year almost every day. And here you are preteinding I need to be teached anything.

You speaking in broad terms and lumping me together with people you think have no clue what's the issue can only be countered by speaking about my personal experiences, because you want to lecture me as a person. Saying I shouldn't take it personally in that context is laughable. I'm out of here now though. Continue your teachings on someone else please.

That's fine man. I'm just hoping you come to understand that this is fundamentally a conversation about respect for humanity. Resentment has never done any of us any good.

I'll leave you to think. All the best for you.

Sincerely

She was white and protested for the cause of minorities. She and lot's of other people don't have any problem with PoC protesting, despite being white. It's mind blowing, I know. I'm out of here now.

I haven't fuckin mentioned her at all. YOU did. I honestly have no idea why or how she ties into anything I've said.
Also bye.

Yes. Its a consequence of colonialism.Jamaica is still dealing with a homicide crisis, South Africa is racist as hell, most Asian countries are extremely xenophobic, Indians regularly beat the crap out of African immigrants, Gandhi thought Africans were subhuman and hated being compared to them because they share shades of a skin tone. Israeli citizens are the most ironic of the negro hating lot too considering their history of persecution and their never ending conflict with Palestine.

I guess Cuba's the only one who got out while they could. But its not like they dont have their own problems anyway.
I don't see how that all is a consequence of colonialism. And even if that, then I can't see how we can trace some kind of line and tell people they are racist now because their country might have enjoyed benefits from that system, or even benefits by associations when we talk about countries that themselves did not participate in colonialism or the slave trade. I mean, we had someone in this thread go about how Greece participated in enslaving black people in ancient times, but that has zero consequence on the modern day and has nothing to do with colonialism even. At that point it just looks like people want someone to blame.

And there is plenty of blame to go around, because god damn, we got some problems with racism in modern times that shouldn't be there. But to try and push that on everyone is just counterproductive and doesn't help anyone. And that is why she got fired, because you shouldn't go around blaming entire groups for things without some nuance. Her follow up is a lot better, but by then it was already too late.

Because they're not responsible for most of the achievements in the first place?

War though. The war machine is.

Indeed, it's not an easy notion for people to swallow, but a whole list of inventions and discoveries are born from amongst our darkest times. Anything born from war shouldn't be considered in a tally of 'positive' contribution given the amount of death and destruction that came with it, and history is littered with the accounts of 'great' thieves, bullies and schemers overlooking true geniuses, especially if said genius wasn't a white male.

Kalentan

And no one is, if you can understand that then it shouldn't be hard to understand in other areas. It's not about guilt.

I feel like it's sort of a mix message thing however. On one hand it's like you say, you're not trying to make people feel guilty. Just to be aware...

But I feel like all the methods used to make people feel aware are the same methods someone would use to make a person feel guilty.

jem0208

It's pretty obvious how it relates. A white person who is very gifted is far more likely to be able to help humanity then a PoC who is very gifted due to racism. A gifted white person is far more likely to get the job they deserve then a PoC. So more white people achieve positive feats as they are far more likely to be given a chance to.

I don't agree with her wording. But every white person has gained from a form of racism. ( not every white person is racist).
That doesn't explain why it's fine to associate negative aspects with white people but its racist to associate the positive.

Now we come to the nitty gritty.
The idéa that all generalization regarding groups of people are bad.
I don't agree with this.
Since by using generalization we can see trends and also back up our claims regarding racism and show that it a structural thing.

Just because you can see a trend doesn't give you the right to stereotype an entire ethnicity because you can see a "trend".

Finding a trend is not a proof that there are not lots of people who defy the stereotype. You can find a trend in anything you want to. Everything is a hammer once you're the nail. I don't buy the logic here that a trend is a proof of something true within all people. I think it's dangerous to give that sort of leeway to your own morale compass. Your brain is wired to find connections and patterns, and that is why we all should be vigil about being lazy and falling into stereotypes.

The worst part of it is that it seems to take very few bad anecdotal personal experiences for someones biased perception to be formed.
To stereotype someone based on the pigmentation of their skin is to be unable to see that person as a individual, but only as part of a threatening whole.
If a person cannot be a person before being this or that due to the way they look, then that person is reduced. This is exactly the sort of plight that has plauged (and continue to) minorities in the western world.

In Europe we have intense racism aganst a minority group refered to as Gypsies- A indo-european wandering group of people who exist in most european nation states (since the 12th century). These people to this day, are prosecuted and surpressed like cattle, as they are perceived to be thiefs, beggars and criminals.
Even though they are white, they don't share the spoils of how you categorize being white in America. In western and northern europe we have a lot of racism towards people of slavic descent- That would be our equivelant of "mexicans taking our jobs". Bulgarians, Polish, Romanians and Ukrainians in particularly are unwelcome and met with hostility and racism many places- These people are not seen as white people.
Something which also extends to many europeans hostile appropriation of kurds, turks, persians, greeks and jews (on both the left and the right, and among radical european people of middle eastern descent).

In my mind, the categorization is insane and doesn't make sense. We all agree that its a made up construct that is made to keep darker-skinned people from sharing the benefits, but the mantle just doesn't add up on a considerable amount of people. Not even getting into mixed race people, who don't know if they are a white or a POC.

In majority held white nations, whites benefit- But I'd argue that whites benefiting is not so much a cause of "white privilege" but if tribal favorism. Because if you look anywhere on earth, you see the same thing. It sucks being a minority in Japan, China, Myanmar, Turkey- It doesn't matter where you are. The majority has the power, and they use that power to continue keeping power and hold minorities back. This has been true as long as we have had nation states, and it's one of the core principles of anarchism that tries to undo these power structures, so all wealth and power can redistributed freely between all people.

But you're wording this like this is a white problem that predominately exist in a white vacuum. It's indeed true that many things are easier for white people in the western world, but things are easier for the native population anywhere on earth.
At the end of the day, if the african nations had been the ones to have superior military might and power, it would have been white people who would have been enslaved for centuries, and to this day would live in the aftermath.

An aftermath you also benefit from. By paying your taxes and being a consumer, you inadvertently oppress and take part in exploitation of millions of people around the world who live in countries that have been utterly fucked, destroyed and sabotaged by US and EU interests. These are the people who make our electronics and clothes, and who've we still, to this day, exploit for cheap labor and resources.

All these people also live their faiths at the end of our boots because their ancestors got trumped by EU and US powers. Every powerful country today is standing on top of a burial ground of defeated people. It's kill or be killed, and every powerful nation on earth can thank its power and wealth to the oppression of others. There is no exception, virtually anywhere.

The only thing we can conclude from history is that people are all the same all over.

I feel like it's sort of a mix message thing however. On one hand it's like you say, you're not trying to make people feel guilty. Just to be aware...

But I feel like all the methods used to make people feel aware are the same methods someone would use to make a person feel guilty.

That's because they are the same but how people take it is usually dependant on the person. It's a part of emotional maturity. Like why do you automatically jump to guilt if you aren't guilty. If you know a vast majority of people do a thing and you don't. Then concern yourself with those. And if you don't know, get educated.

I'm not saying you won't feel guilty at all, I'm saying that's not the end result you should get from confronting injustices that you may be complicit in.

Shaming white folks into acknowledging some if not most of their achievements comes from racism?

Yeah thats a one way ticket to losing your job

That never happens, what the fuck?

Example please?

Shaming white folks into acknowledging some if not most of their achievements comes from racism?

Yeah thats a one way ticket to losing your job

No, she lost her job by insinuating that some form of biological urge pushes every single white person on Earth to be racially violent, regardless of location, upbringing, beliefs and everything else.

a.wd

Yeah, racism is complicated yall.

But hey, the best thing about trump is we are talking about things that are uncomfortable.

But systemic issues often are.

I don't think she deserved to lose her job over something that is obviously going to be hurting her, the kind of people that would use a facebook post by one of the models who has obviously dealt with various types of oppression from many different communities and use that against her employer are pretty shitty.

That never happens, what the fuck?

Example please?

No, she lost her job by insinuating that some form of biological urge pushes every single white person on Earth to be racially violent, regardless of location, upbringing, beliefs and everything else.

She didn't say it was biological though... Lol

Yeah, racism is complicated yall.

But hey, the best thing about trump is we are talking about things that are uncomfortable.

Yea well you guys enjoy your conversation. Some of us have been talking about this shit for literally decades and find it exhausting to have to re-litigate the same things that we've been talking about, stressing about, and living again and again because it's a new crowd of under-educated people asking the same questions and making the same embryonic pronouncements every 20 minutes.

Hopefully you younger folk are ready for the baton pass because I can't even stomach reading more than 10 posts in this thread before I feel a certain PTSD that I think other black folk who've been fighting for a long time all understand. And I know I'm not alone in feeling that way. We just want this shit to be fixed and not have to accept a headache and a protracted conversation for every individual for whom the educational system has cheated as it pertains to issues of race in America and beyond. For whom interest in these subjects only matters so long as they can hold some motivation to discuss, who can and often do just turn it off as soon as they switch threads or turn the channel.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

Come on, now.
She wasn't yelling incoherently in public.

It's impossible to have this discussion if white people think racism is a two way street.

0eZh24w.gif

EMT0

Banned
It's impossible to have this discussion if white people think racism is a two way street.

It's not just white people who think that. I'm more confused about the part where/when others started thinking racism is only racism if directed against racial minorities. When the hell did we all agree to this?

Deepwater

Not sure when we'll ever have this discussion when people have two different definitions of racism. I'm still stuck on the part where there's two definitions of racism.

Because there is no way you can have a comprehensive understanding of how non white people are treated in America + Colonial European Powers.

Just in the context of America, there is no way you can objectively look at our history and say "Yep, racism is definitely something can go both ways and affects everybody equally"

Especially considering race as a concept is something that came from white people lolololol. It's astounding, but I understand why it happens.

Top Bottom