• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

L’Oreal Drops Transgender Model After ‘All White People’ Racism Post

Amalthea

Banned
Even as a white person I feel like there's no way around the fact that western civilisation is built around inherently systemic racism we all profit from to variing extent, no matter how unpleasant that might sound to all of us. Not just the US way of handling institutionalised and cultural racism or the Wests overall history with colonialisation but also how 3rd world countries (mostly inhabited by non-white ethnicities) get exploited in slavery or near-slavery for ressources and labor up until this day.

Zakalwe

Banned
These are just some quick soundbites.
I call racism out wherever I see it and in this case Bergdorf is the racist.
The fact that you don't like that I don't make excuses for any form of racism does not make me a "sock-puppet".

Your previous posts don't do anything to counter the tone deaf posts ITT.

We all have limits to our awareness, I guess this is one of yours.

Even as a white person I feel like there's no way around the fact that western civilisation is built around inherently systemic racism we all profit from to variing extent, no matter how unpleasant that might sound to all of us. Not just the US way of handling institutionalised and cultural racism or the Wests overall history with colonialisation but also how 3rd world countries (mostly inhabited by non-white ethnicities) get exploited in slavery or near-slavery for ressources and labor up until this day.

Admit it. Own it. Actively work to counter it.

No one is saying it's going to be easy...

Cvie

Complicity doesn't denote explicit intent. She was calling us on our whiteness and privilege and how we're a part of the game against them just by existing, she wasn't calling us active nazis.

It doesn't seem to be in the tweet quoted in the OP.

you don't think saying that all white people are racially violent and that their entire existence is drenched in racism qualifies?

I absolutely agree with her post firing statement but the comments made that got her fired are whats been driving this thread.

Sony

Nintendo
L'Oreal chose her despite their full understanding of her views and past actions/words.

They chose her to be the face of their brand to reap the points of her activism and very existence as a transgender POC, but when they realised the backlash wasn't worth it they withdrew.

They put her in the firing line to exploit her position, then handed out more guns when they realised she was a problem

If you could find me a past racist outing by Munroe, then I'll gladly say I was wrong.

Kinyou

Huh? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but those tweets are on fucking point.

They are indeed guilty of this.
Do you believe she wouldn't have received racist and transphobic abuse if L'Oreal had not dropped her? I'd say that would have happened either way. The only way L'Oreal could have prevented it is by not hiring transgender/poc models

Yeoman

Your previous posts don't do anything to counter the tone deaf posts ITT.

We all have limits to our awareness, I guess this is one of yours.
I don't think I'm being deaf at all, but I'm fine with you feeling that I'm wrong on this.
However what I'm not fine with is getting accused of being an "alt" or "sock puppet" simply because someone disagrees with me.

As I said: I draw the line at racism, regardless of who it comes from.
Bergdorf went on a racist tirade and was fired. You don't see it as such but myself and L'Oréal sure do.

Hyun Sai

That's unfortunate, but that first quote was stupid. She brought this upon herself and did a disservice to her cause.

g11

She probably didn't need to get fired for saying that, but that seems to be the way of the world these days. Seems really stupid to me.

You sure about that?

These are just some quick soundbites.

I call racism out wherever I see it and in this case Bergdorf is the racist.
The fact that you don't like that I don't make excuses for any form of racism does not make me a "sock-puppet".
Also: isn't accusing someone of being a sock puppet potentially a bannable offence?

Going off those quotes I was clearly wrong. And I'm not going to dig to argue I was right.

I dunno if the accusation is bannable. If it is then I'll accept it.

Edit: Still don't necessarily agree with the racist label being attached to her given her follow-up statement, regardless of how dumb one may find the initial statement.

Just because you can see a trend doesn't give you the right to stereotype an entire ethnicity because you can see a "trend".

Finding a trend is not a proof that there are not lots of people who defy the stereotype. You can find a trend in anything you want to. Everything is a hammer once you're the nail. I don't buy the logic here that a trend is a proof of something true within all people. I think it's dangerous to give that sort of leeway to your own morale compass. Your brain is wired to find connections and patterns, and that is why we all should be vigil about being lazy and falling into stereotypes.

The worst part of it is that it seems to take very few bad anecdotal personal experiences for someones biased perception to be formed.
To stereotype someone based on the pigmentation of their skin is to be unable to see that person as a individual, but only as part of a threatening whole.
If a person cannot be a person before being this or that due to the way they look, then that person is reduced. This is exactly the sort of plight that has plauged (and continue to) minorities in the western world.

In Europe we have intense racism aganst a minority group refered to as Gypsies- A indo-european wandering group of people who exist in most european nation states (since the 12th century). These people to this day, are prosecuted and surpressed like cattle, as they are perceived to be thiefs, beggars and criminals.
Even though they are white, they don't share the spoils of how you categorize being white in America. In western and northern europe we have a lot of racism towards people of slavic descent- That would be our equivelant of "mexicans taking our jobs". Bulgarians, Polish, Romanians and Ukrainians in particularly are unwelcome and met with hostility and racism many places- These people are not seen as white people.
Something which also extends to many europeans hostile appropriation of kurds, turks, persians, greeks and jews (on both the left and the right, and among radical european people of middle eastern descent).

In my mind, the categorization is insane and doesn't make sense. We all agree that its a made up construct that is made to keep darker-skinned people from sharing the benefits, but the mantle just doesn't add up on a considerable amount of people. Not even getting into mixed race people, who don't know if they are a white or a POC.

In majority held white nations, whites benefit- But I'd argue that whites benefiting is not so much a cause of "white privilege" but if tribal favorism. Because if you look anywhere on earth, you see the same thing. It sucks being a minority in Japan, China, Myanmar, Turkey- It doesn't matter where you are. The majority has the power, and they use that power to continue keeping power and hold minorities back. This has been true as long as we have had nation states, and it's one of the core principles of anarchism that tries to undo these power structures, so all wealth and power can redistributed freely between all people.

But you're wording this like this is a white problem that predominately exist in a white vacuum. It's indeed true that many things are easier for white people in the western world, but things are easier for the native population anywhere on earth.
At the end of the day, if the african nations had been the ones to have superior military might and power, it would have been white people who would have been enslaved for centuries, and to this day would live in the aftermath.

An aftermath you also benefit from. By paying your taxes and being a consumer, you inadvertently oppress and take part in exploitation of millions of people around the world who live in countries that have been utterly fucked, destroyed and sabotaged by US and EU interests. These are the people who make our electronics and clothes, and who've we still, to this day, exploit for cheap labor and resources.

All these people also live their faiths at the end of our boots because their ancestors got trumped by EU and US powers. Every powerful country today is standing on top of a burial ground of defeated people. It's kill or be killed, and every powerful nation on earth can thank its power and wealth to the oppression of others. There is no exception, virtually anywhere.

The only thing we can conclude from history is that people are all the same all over.

Thats the thing though, the concept of whiteness is nebulous at best. It's complete nonsense that is born out of having a lack of identity. It's born out of a need to explain how special the colonists with their white mans burden bullshit operating selves sought to change the world.

Nowadays we have articles like this as a result https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/12/are-jews-white/509453/

Whiteness is a desperate attempt to hold on to power. A social power that only exists if all things black are held in contempt. It's an attempt to justify a complete lack of history.

"The concept of the "n-word" was invented as a way of projecting onto the black man what the "white man" hated.

In America, Blackness and Whiteness are two halves of a culture that didnt exist. A culture formed for forgoing all sense of identity from their motherlands. Thus American culture is effectively a hybrid culture.

The idea of whiteness is at its best, a weak justification for the identity crisis of those with no nation.

That's why in popular culture we have the phenomenon of "wanting to be black" but not actually really wanting to experience it.

The irony is white supremacy is a double edged sword. It hoards prosperity for those who fight in its name, but those very same people are not allowed to know what love looks like. Only hate, and eventually that hate becomes the only thing they can see in the mirror.

That and the fear they created.

you don't think saying that all white people are racially violent and that their entire existence is drenched in racism qualifies?

I absolutely agree with her post firing statement but the comments made that got her fired are whats been driving this thread.

You really don't want to or know how to engage in a discussion, do you?

Did you read the OP? That's the reason L'Oreal parted ways with her:
"Honestly I don't have energy to talk about the racial violence of white people any more. Yes ALL white people"

Either way, just going by this thread alone she has done a huge disservice to her very valid cause with her initial statement. If you want to fight systematic discrimination, you would want to get as many people behind that cause as possible, not alienate people by making wild accusations. Through her position at L'Oreal she could've even had a larger audience to direct attention to these issues, but instead this happened now.

I'm sorry but you ARE aware that "racial violence" doesnt just refer to hate crimes, lynchings, KKK riots and threatening people... right?

Socioeconomic warfare also falls under racial violence. Which frankly she is right, society loves its class warfare. In a fundamentally racist society her making a hyperbolic statement when a large part of the institutions are created to not only segregate and impoverish people who frankly dont look like you is sickening. Please dont be ignorant of how people you are related to are either complicit or directly involved here.

Ever had a racist teacher? They'll go lengths to screw with people.

Speaking of "screwing with people"

The US Government literally bombed a city of wealthy black citizens(Tulsa), burned down a village of black people and turned it into Central Park(new York), propagated race riots all over the place, sicced the FBI on half of the people involved in the civil rights movement ( and demolished The Black Panther) .Chicago is so segregated even today because bankers decided they'd make a bit of cash over fucking over people who look like me. That happened all over this country in the US. The US is barely 250 years old.

You can try and act like the US is some special snowflake when it comes to how blatantly racist people are here...

But this ideology started in Europe.

Once you accept that, perhaps we can move forward.

Colonialism did indeed drench the world in racism.

You can no longer afford to maintain some guise of innocence here.

I'm gonna keep posting this until y'all actually read it. It's a very good article

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/08/unlearning-the-myth-of-american-innocence

Shiggy

I'm sorry but you ARE aware that "racial violence" doesnt just refer to hate crimes, lynchings, KKK riots and threatening people... right?

Socioeconomic warfare also falls under racial violence. Which frankly she is right, society loves its class warfare. In a fundamentally racist society her making a hyperbolic statement when a large part of the institutions are created to not only segregate and impoverish people who frankly dont look like you is sickening. Please dont be ignorant of how people you are related to are either complicit or directly involved here.

I honestly can't quite follow your post. How do you go from racial violence to class warfare when skin colour does not make a class? And how does that make all white people commit racial violence?

You should also look at the definition of 'violence'. While most dictionaries only include physical force and overt threats of physical force as violence, we can also take a look at the WHO definition of the term as it far more comprehensive:
"the intentional use of physical force or power, threatened or actual, against oneself, another person, or against a group or community, that either results in or has a high likelihood of resulting in injury, death, psychological harm, maldevelopment, or deprivation."

But even in this case the initial statement the model made does not work out. The pure existence of the institutions you describe does not automatically make a white person which lives in such a country commit racial violence - even if we go by the very far-reaching and comprehensive WHO definition of 'violence'.

L'oreal is a French company headquartered in France covering thebglobal market, it is pretty obvious that they will not tolerate this kind of message when their base covers people from country like Latvia or Ukraine that will find very strange to be considered part of the white supremacy when well they were crushed left and right and never partook in colonial expedition.

Narroo

She ain't wrong, but...

She's wrong. Just look at the rest of the world; look at the rest of History. There is plenty of Racism and violence to go around for everyone. White people merely managed to be the predominate race going into the industrial revolution which slingshotted them into being able to screw everyone over. If geography and history were a bit different, we easily be dealing with non-white or non-European leaders ruling the world and being racist. The idea that 'white people' are inherently special and racist is incredibly toxic and...racist. It's the kind of thinking we need to avoid, lest we fall into our our violent traps.

I honestly can't quite follow your post. How do you go from racial violence to class warfare when skin colour does not make a class? And how does that make all white people commit racial violence?

You should also look at the definition of 'violence'. While most dictionaries only include physical force and overt threats of physical force as violence, we can also take a look at the WHO definition of the term as it far more comprehensive:
"the intentional use of physical force or power, threatened or actual, against oneself, another person, or against a group or community, that either results in or has a high likelihood of resulting in injury, death, psychological harm, maldevelopment, or deprivation."

But even in this case the initial statement the model made does not work out. The pure existence of the institutions you describe does not automatically make a white person which lives in such a country commit racial violence - even if we go by the very far-reaching and comprehensive WHO definition of 'violence'.

Dude.

Racial violence is not just a physical act.

Not all abuse is physical. Perhaps you'd rather not think you're complicit in abuse... but you are.

She's wrong. Just look at the rest of the world; look at the rest of History. There is plenty of Racism and violence to go around for everyone. White people merely managed to be the predominate race going into the industrial revolution which slingshotted them into being able to screw everyone over. If geography and history were a bit different, we easily be dealing with non-white or non-European leaders ruling the world and being racist. The idea that 'white people' are inherently special and racist is incredibly toxic and...racist. It's the kind of thinking we need to avoid, lest we fall into our our violent traps.

The concept of race was invented by white europeans.

Carte Blanche.

Society now socializes people to be racist .

Just read my post again, there's a definition of the word "violence" which goes beyond the physical harming. I explained in my previous post why your statement does not make much sense.

Now you're just moving goalposts.

Please stop dropping in gaf vernacular with no real substance into your lingo here.

There's no goalposts for this discussion. We're discussing how society is structured and the various ways that informs people's idea of themselves.

Once we stop holding onto this idea of "good vs bad" people you'll be able to wrap your head around what we're actively letting you in on here.

Ottaro

If geography and history were a bit different, we easily be dealing with non-white or non-European leaders ruling the world and being racist.

But we are not.

History wasn't a bit different. We are dealing with present reality.

Shiggy

Please stop dropping in gaf vernacular with no real substance into your lingo here.

There's no goalposts for this discussion. We're discussing how society is structured and the various ways that informs people's idea of themselves.

Once we stop holding onto this idea of "good vs bad" people you'll be able to wrap your head around what we're actively letting you in on here.

I still don't see what your point is. If you want to discuss with me, you need to bring some arguments and talk about what I pointed out to you. You haven't related to any of that. I mean it's absolutely your right to go on with some random ideas and disconnected statements as in the post you first quoted me, but if you want to participate in a discussion you need to bring some substantial arguments and points and also relate to what I said. Just making up your own definition of 'violence' is not productive.

I'm sorry, but that's not what the discussion between you and me is about. Again, please check back what we have been talking about in our thread of posts. What we have been talking about is that the model said in her initial statement that all white people participate in racial violence, which is objectively wrong.

I still don't see what your point is. If you want to discuss with me, you need to bring some arguments and talk about what I pointed out to you. You haven't related to any of that. I mean it's absolutely your right to go on with some random ideas and disconnected statements as in the post you first quoted me, but if you want to participate in a discussion you need to bring some substantial arguments and points and also relate to what I said. Just making up your own definition of 'violence' is not productive.

I'm sorry, but that's not what the discussion between you and me is about. Again, please check back what we have been talking about in our thread of posts. What we have been talking about is that the model said in her initial statement that all white people participate in racial violence, which is objectively wrong.

The model said she was tired of racial violence from all white people.

In case you didnt know what racial violence was, you NOW have a better idea of what it entails.

Hopefully from there you can understand why she would make a hyperbolic statement such as that because there have been a LOT of white people who, live in proximity to black folks who have committed acts that can be construed as racial violence.

Shiggy

The model said she was tired of racial violence from all white people.

In case you didnt know what racial violence was, you NOW have a better idea of what it entails.

Hopefully from there you can understand why she would make a hyperbolic statement such as that because there have been a LOT of white people who, live in proximity to black folks who have committed acts that can be construed as racial violence.

I still don't see how that relates to my posts as I didn't talk about why she made that statement. I was only talking about the content of her statement, and what you're saying changes nothing about her statement nor what I said about that statement.

It's not like your post doesn't make sense on its own, there's just no relation to what I'm talking about. Maybe that's why I failed to see what you're trying to get across. But I guess that confusion has been resolved now.

Elandyll

Banned
Dude.

Racial violence is not just a physical act.

Not all abuse is physical. Perhaps you'd rather not think you're complicit in abuse... but you are.

Carte Blanche.

There is obviously way more to discuss, but Carte Blanche does not refer to the color, but the absence of words/ mandate on said metaphorical card, and you are thus mistaken about its context.

It basically means blank check, or "free reigns".

And btw I absolutely and integraly reject the very notion that all White people are guilty of racial violence (whether physical or not) by simple virtue of the color of their skin/ birth, because it is fundamentaly racist and untrue.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Carte Blanche.

Discrimination based on the "people" you "belong to" is as old as civilization. Seen in the bible and Aristotle's comments on all non-greek people. Non-greeks were basically labelled with the race of Barbarian. Aristotle stated that while Greeks are free by nature, "barbarians" are slaves by nature, in that it is in their nature to be more willing to submit to despotic government.

TheAuldTriangle

Neo Member

I'd like to interject and say as an Irishman, from Ireland, I disagree on the "we all profit".

Discrimination based on the "people" you "belong to" is as old as civilization. Seen in the bible and Aristotle's comments on all non-greek people. Non-greeks were basically labelled with the race of Barbarian. Aristotle stated that while Greeks are free by nature, "barbarians" are slaves by nature, in that it is in their nature to be more willing to submit to despotic government.

Discriminatory thoughts and practices tied to nationalism/religion and identity has been a thing since societies started functioning out of enslaving the land, its animals and its people.

But the modern phenomena we're speaking of here was engineered during colonialism. The tool of division we're busy arguing about here.

Its the institutional attitude that allows people to excuse atrocity in the name of sugars and spices while seeking to subjugate all who oppose their world view.

It is also the fire that lights the tenacity of people's survival.

Visit the museum in Washington DC. It will show you the tenacity and will of people all over the world who lived very very interesting and diverse lives under the grips of colonial thought.

There is obviously way more to discuss, but Carte Blanche does not refer to the color, but the absence of words/ mandate on said metaphorical card, and you are thus mistaken about its context.

It basically means blank check, or "free reigns".

And btw I absolutely and integraly reject the very notion that all White people are guilty of racial violence (whether physical or not) by simple virtue of the color of their skin/ birth, because it is fundamentaly racist and untrue.

I know what it means, its a euphemism for "whatever goes" given the context I used it in.

Its not because of the circumstances of their birth, but rather the circumstances of their upbringing and the part they play in our global economy.

I dont subscribe to the notion of oppressive pessimism and nihilism displayed in all corners of the Internet that insists humans are assholes inherently.

The problem is our society raises its majority to be complicit in a zero sum game of greed in ways they cant even process or see. Naivety is a conditions that is only solved through discomfort. Forgive the most strident voices for whatever shock they bring, because in the end its only showing more aspects of the truth that people have become numb to.

KonradLaw

A vanilla brand like L'Oreal should have predicted that when they hire activist then that activist will likely say some controversial things. Very shortsighted for them

I still don't see how that relates to my posts as I didn't talk about why she made that statement. I was only talking about the content of her statement, and what you're saying changes nothing about her statement nor what I said about that statement.

It's not like your post doesn't make sense on its own, there's just no relation to what I'm talking about. Maybe that's why I failed to see what you're trying to get across. But I guess that confusion has been resolved now.

Because your are judging her for her statement. And casting your support for L'Oreal with regards to the decision they made. You are marking your approval.

I think what they did is fundamentally wrong and so does she. We're explaining the thought process behind it so you can understand some semblance behind the actions taken here.

I mean thats why Clara Amfo just asked to leave

https://mic.com/articles/184241/aft...ks-to-be-removed-from-the-campaign#.hTF8eVO9k

I'd like to interject and say as an Irishman, from Ireland, I disagree on the "we all profit".

Funny statement considering Irish history in early US, and how they went from being seen as no better than blacks to be accepted in the elusive white club, and how that was used to further dehumanize black folks.

Funny statement considering Irish history in early US, and how they went from being seen as no better than blacks to be accepted in the elusive white club, and how that was used to further dehumanize black folks.

The irish are no longer in indentured servitude today.

Most slaves we have today are dark skinned ethnic minorities in asian countries and people of mixed descent in European countries. (Lots of poor people sold into sex slavery as well)

I'm also kind of shocked to see how little support from the Jewish community there is against the Alt-Right. They literally walked around telling them point blank 'you cant replace us". Netanyahu should be ashamed.

Meanwhile they're talking smack to Jay-Z. Like whats up with that.

TheAuldTriangle

Neo Member

Whilst that may be true (I don't know an awful lot about early Irish relations in the US) I was solely referring to the "every white, western nation has in some form benefited from white privilege", plus as a nation, we've been the victims of colonialism, having our culture destroyed, conquered by the English Adolf Hitler (Oliver Cromwell). I will add though, I don't feel the effects of those today, whereas Black folk in predominantly White nations are still, on an unprecedented scale, facing systematic abuse.

There's not really a race system here, but there is a class system, and as someone from a working class background, I can't even begin to tell you the amount of times me or my friends were harassed by the police, denied entrance to certain places due to our accents, our clothes etc.

This was during my formative years, hasn't happened since thank god, plus my little town is more middle class nowadays.

Fuck, I'm going off on a tangent here, sorry.

For what it's worth, I'm fully behind Munroe Bergdorf. I 100% get what she's saying, I was just addressing that little issue. Fuck L'oreal.

Shiggy

Because your are judging her for her statement. And casting your support for L'Oreal with regards to the decision they made. You are marking your approval.

I think what they did is fundamentally wrong and so does she. We're explaining the thought process behind it so you can understand some semblance behind the actions taken here.

I mean thats why Clara Amfo just asked to leave

https://mic.com/articles/184241/aft...ks-to-be-removed-from-the-campaign#.hTF8eVO9k

Still, all of that doesn't make her initial statement right or true. And that initial statement led to why L'Oreal parted ways with her. If a model made wild accusations against any other group just based on their skin colour, then I'd also expect L'Oreal to cancel the contract.

Belstras

It's not really news that white people like to tone police Poc's from any objections or opinions and find convinient reasons to let them go. A company that does not have a dialog with their employees is not a good company anyway.

Condom

controversial =/= racist.
All men are responsible for the state of misogyny and should work on reducing it.

Is that sexist? Or the reality of power unbalances? Think about it. She was talking about western societies where white people hold most power (obviously).

Good to know we're writing science fiction novels in here to defend White supremacy.

Platy

PewDiePie had lots of people going to defend him with "but free speech" and probably nothing big will happen to him.

Women say realistic statement about racial relationships and looses her job

Good to know we're writing science fiction novels in here to defend White supremacy.

If my mother was a cis men I would have 2 fathers.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
PewDiePie had lots of people going to defend him with "but free speech" and probably nothing big will happen to him.

Women say realistic statement about racial relationships and looses her job

You do realize these are two different situations? Pewdiepie was dropped by several organizations like Disney and demoted by youtube when the first fiasco happened. Munroe was fired by her one direct employer.

I would agree that Youtube, like a lot of Silicon Valley social media sites, doesn't do enough.

Top Bottom