• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollywood's Black Hair Problem on Set: "We've All Cried in Our Trailers" (Black History Month Edition)

6sty_hair_w_-_illustration_by__jonny_ruzzo_-_publicity_-_h_2020_.jpg

African American stars say productions don't provide makeup artists and hair stylists who are familiar with natural textures and dark skin tones: "It's a real disservice to actors of color."

When it comes to black hair, it's the best of times and, still for some, the worst of times.

On the upside, last July, the California legislature passed the Crown Act (Create a Respectful and Open Workplace for Natural Hair), which bans discrimination on the basis of hair textures. In August, Hair Love, about an African American dad learning to care for his daughter's curls, screened before Sony's Angry Birds 2, garnered 13 million YouTube views and nabbed an Oscar nomination for best animated short. "The reach is pretty insane," says writer/co-director Matthew A. Cherry. "We started as a Kickstarter campaign."

And yet, on Hollywood productions and photo shoots, many black actors continue to face challenges with their hair. In November, actress Gabrielle Union (an exec producer on Hair Love) claimed she was fired from NBC's America's Got Talent after being told that her hairstyles were "too black." Other actresses point to the discrimination that occurs pretty much every time they sit in a hair and makeup chair: There just aren't enough union stylists in Hollywood who know how to work with natural hair and darker skin.

"We've all cried in our trailers," says Laci Mosley, an actress on Pop TV's Florida Girls, who recently posted on Twitter about a bad makeup experience on a film set: "I'm a dark skin actress in Hollywood and like 3 union makeup artist know how to do my makeup and they're all busy as hell."

hair_love_-_publicity_still_-_embed_-2020_.jpg

Mosley sees a problem stemming from a lack of union makeup artists and hairstylists that have a wide range of experience. "Everyone in the industry knows that there are certain barriers of entry when it comes to becoming a union makeup artist," Mosley explains. "Unfortunately a lot of the people who spend the most time with black and brown skin find it difficult to get these opportunities because the [unionized] makeup and hair industry is nepotistic in nature. Friends are hiring friends, and when it's an overwhelmingly white industry, nine times out of 10, those people's friends are white as well."

Adds Mosley: "This isn't specifically for vanity. It's the fact that systemic racism is so deeply ingrained in our industry that we are so forgotten about all of the time that this is normal."

Make-Up Artists and Hair Stylists Guild business rep Randy Sayer says the guild "welcomes any and all discussions of 'diversity' within our entertainment industry" and looks to "renew our ongoing conversation with the producers/employers to ensure that the workforce that is hired reflects the community in which we live and work. We can all start to make simple, meaningful and demonstrative changes in the way we crew our departments, treat our co-workers and relate to others — to be as inclusive, diverse and forward-thinking as possible. 'Diversity' may be humanity’s greatest asset; our workplaces must reflect the best part of our society and our communities."

Sayer also says the union's barrier to entry isn’t that high: 30 days of union work within a one-year period. "No test, no swimsuit competition, no barrier because of gender, or ethnicity, or age, or privilege."

In terms of increasing guild members' facility with different hair and skin types, Sayer points to free training provided every other weekend in makeup and hairstyling techniques, including a recent "hands-on barbering class that featured cutting, clippering and grooming techniques for all hair types, open to 100 of our makeup artists and hairstylists."

Empire star Taraji P. Henson is "tired of biting my damn tongue" on the subject, she tells THR, describing a magazine shoot in which a stylist inexperienced with black hair damaged hers with a root booster. She thought about asking for a different stylist, but "then I would have been difficult, right?" On another shoot, she says, a stylist bought a cheap wig and "didn't even know how to style it." She finally brought in her own stylist at her own expense. "But you see what I mean?" she says.

Insecure actress Natasha Rothwell says on some projects (her own black-led show excepted), she wakes up early to prep her own hair, anticipating that the stylists on set won't know how to do it.

Early in her career, buying her own supplies often cost all of what she made in a day. For white co-stars, Rothwell says, "They can wake up, roll out of bed and don't have to worry about what's in their bag.

"It's a real disservice to actors of color who are effectively doing someone else's job and not getting paid for it," she adds. "There's nothing [more] dehumanizing than sitting in a hair and makeup chair and watching your co-stars go through the works and leave, and you're still there because someone's moving very slowly because they're very scared. It's [you] feeling like a problem to be solved."

Rothwell says if a black actor is No. 1 on the call sheet, they can negotiate and get a "star request" to choose their own stylist, which is how several black stylists have broken into the industry and accrued enough days to join the union. "You have these big names, celebrities of color, who at that level can't imagine doing the hustle," Rothwell adds.

Henson believes it’s crucial to put aside egos and respect actors' wishes. "If you know how to do it, great. If you don't, pass it to somebody who does. It has nothing to do with pride or ego," Henson says. "I'm not saying you have to be black to know how to do [that] hair, but you got to know what the hell you're doing."

Henson's advice to networks, studios and magazines: "When an actress of color requests a hairstylist, listen to them. They're not being difficult."

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
There’s a documentary out there somewhere that talks about how most camera makers did nothing to try and help the color contrast for dark skinned people which is why early color photos and even film have a hard time picking up details surrounding a black figure.

So I can see how this hair thing can be a legit issue.

There’s a documentary out there somewhere that talks about how most camera makers did nothing to try and help the color contrast for dark skinned people which is why early color photos and even film have a hard time picking up details surrounding a black figure.

So I can see how this hair thing can be a legit issue.

I saw this movie a while back, because I like Chris Rock, and I thought the topic was interesting. Bottom line is yes, it can be a legit issue.

Last edited:
Their illustration is a black hairdresser not knowing what to do with fuzzy hair. Maybe it's not that white people hate black hair or some nonsense like that - maybe it just is very difficult to manage because of its structure?

Which is the more likely reason that black women spend tons of money to wear weaves and wigs - that white society made them do it, or their hair is just often naturally unmanageable and they want a practical solution?

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
So when I was a kid and had red curly hair and all these people just came up to me and molested my hair, that's somehow systemic racism?
Fuck off with this shit. People are curious about things they don't see often and curiosity isn't racist.
Get over it like I did after the 5th grandma came at me like a zombie.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Their illustration is a black hairdresser not knowing what to do with fuzzy hair. Maybe it's not that white people hate black hair or some nonsense like that - maybe it just is very difficult to manage because of its structure?

If you are referring to the "Hair Love" animated short, that is the girl's dad trying to give her a specific style. Not to spoil it, but the mom isn't around so he is doing his best as a parent.

This seems like a legit issue if a black actress is to featured prominently in a project or there are a lot of them. But for some rando extra in the background or just for a quick scene, I don't think it's gonna happen. Like a lot of ethnic issues, the drive for specific representation is really just an attempt to drive the hiring process. I wonder if stylists experienced with black hair are equally competent to deal with latin, Asian, or white hair. Pretty soon everyone is gonna be like Henry Cavill and travel with their own stylists (to mask how bald he is?).

ryan13ts

How much of this issue is a result of gatekeeping that only black people are taught how to do black peoples hair?

White people cant makeup black hair!

Suprisedpikachu.jpg

No one 'gatekeeping' stylists from learning how to do black hair, it's something that they themselves have to want to learn (Which you think would be important, being professional in Hollywood). There are plenty of stylists that make an effort to learn how to do hair and makeup for various races/complexions, so it's not like there's some invisible barrier preventing them from learning, but more of it just not being a priority for a lot of professional stylists working for studios and the like in Hollywood.

None of this is new either. It's something that actresses of various races (not just black) have had problems with for a long time, but generally have just kept quiet about, which sucks for them.

Hinedorf

Banned
As somebody who watched Beauty Shop I feel that I can speak like an expert on black hair.... in that particular movie there happens to be a token white girl who works in the salon and is frequently disrespected for her whiteness in trying to do a hairstyle she neither possesses yet knows how to manipulate much to the chagrins of her coworkers.

It seems like we're always trying to do an about-face on being more accepting to cultures we may not understand, if there's anything I learned from Barber shop it's that black people need to be more open and accepting of white people learning black hair styles and until this injustice to society can be fixed we are going to have to continue to endure winning acceptance speeches that include Kobe fucking Bryant.

Peace and love

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
As somebody who watched Beauty Shop I feel that I can speak like an expert on black hair.... in that particular movie there happens to be a token white girl who works in the salon and is frequently disrespected for her whiteness in trying to do a hairstyle she neither possesses yet knows how to manipulate much to the chagrins of her coworkers.

It seems like we're always trying to do an about-face on being more accepting to cultures we may not understand, if there's anything I learned from Barber shop it's that black people need to be more open and accepting of white people learning black hair styles and until this injustice to society can be fixed we are going to have to continue to endure winning acceptance speeches that include Kobe fucking Bryant.

Peace and love

An expert?! Because of a movie?!

Excuse me while I laugh out loud!

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It's still an issue, and not just for black people. It's surprisingly easy to fuck up a shot when light brown skins are involved. Good thing they invented DaVinci Resolve lmao

MacReady13

Clearly this is a joke, right? I mean, I understand if this is a widespread issue and it needs to be solved, but to create a "CROWN act"?!? Over hair? People crying in their trailers over that? This must be a joke... Surely!? We have stooped to complaining about racism over hair styles!

I remember when I was a young kid I had a dream to one day become a film maker. I wanted to be like Steven Spielberg and John Carpenter. Make great films in Hollywood and 1 day get nominated for an Oscar and hopefully win. Meet all my idols and be the rich, talented film maker. Yet the older I get and the more I read and see about Hollywood, I'm so very happy I gave up on that dream years ago! What a twisted fucking industry. I'm not saying it's all like this, but geez they give off the impression they're all a little fucked in the head!

zeorhymer

If someone DOESN'T know how to fix a certain type of hair, why not hire a person who DOES know how to do it? But no, it's the simple thing that is lost on Hollywood/actors and they have to whine and bitch that black folks are being repressed by "the man."

I really do think that black people just want racism.

Herr Edgy

It's not limited to black people, it's just humans in general. It's easier to go on about your life if there is always an easy explanation in reach.
Things that don't align with how they should be, according to some individual, can be simply thought of as 'being hindered by X people', as there can't possibly exist a reason that is neither black nor white.

It's how many climate activists start blaming the big companies but aren't ready to not buy their new electronics, reduce meat consumption or start using public transportation more.
It's how many Americans hate on extensive wellfare programs or the idea of removal of guns while the self-proclaimed communists blame capitalism for everything bad and nothing good.
It's how you see conspiracy nuts think everything is a conspiracy while the average Joe think that if there is some official statement it has to be true and that there are no conspiracies ever.

The answer is never just one or the other, it's always grey.

But acting as if it wasn't makes it easier to go on about your life and we all fall victim to it to some degree.

I am half-black and I have very thick jet black horsehair. It´s about 75 to 80 cm long and also slightly curls. I can see how this could be a real problem with longer hair but I also lucked out as I have a perfect hairline in my 30s. Outside of solid grey streaks that give me "character". Women actually envy my hair :messenger_beaming:.
In conclusion: Have biracial kids.

If someone DOESN'T know how to fix a certain type of hair, why not hire a person who DOES know how to do it? But no, it's the simple thing that is lost on Hollywood/actors and they have to whine and bitch that black folks are being repressed by "the man."

Yes, I'm sure a black person wrote this article, and not a 3rd-wave white feminist SJW "speaking" on behalf of black people.

...or some Al Sharpton-type race pimp. Nope, one person writing an article? All black people must agree with them /sarcasm.

I agree with the first part of your post tho, and the article's making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

Yes, I'm sure a black person wrote this article, and not a 3rd-wave white feminist SJW "speaking" on behalf of black people.

...or some Al Sharpton-type race pimp. Nope, one person writing an article? All black people must agree with them /sarcasm.

I agree with the first part of your post tho, and the article's making a mountain out of a mole hill.
African American stars say productions don't provide makeup artists and hair stylists who are familiar with natural textures and dark skin tones: "It's a real disservice to actors of color."
It may haven't been a black person who wrote this article, but it sure was a black person who was quoted in saying.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

You really don't see the problem with your "solution"? Make-up artists and hair stylists have to sign NDAs and contracts for pay and keeping quiet about production and things of that sort during the movie making process. If the people they hired turn out NOT to be able to style hair or make-up on a black or brown person like they do a white person, they have to go through a lot of trouble to fire those artists, find and hire new artists, have them sign new contracts and pay and NDAs... A lot of black and brown actors rather just suffer through it than ruffle any feathers. Especially if they've built a rapport with the artists and would feel guilty someone lost their jobs because they didn't know how to style or do make-up for a black or brown person.

This isn't racism... This all comes down to the fact many popular stylists and make-up artists don't know how to apply their craft to black or brown people who don't even make up 40% of Hollywood.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I am half-black and I have very thick jet black horsehair. It´s about 75 to 80 cm long and also slightly curls. I can see how this could be a real problem with longer hair but I also lucked out as I have a perfect hairline in my 30s. Outside of solid grey streaks that give me "character". Women actually envy my hair :messenger_beaming:.
In conclusion: Have biracial kids.

Wait... Are you saying the solution to black hair is to make biracial kids? Really?

I hope you're being facetious.

ETA: that said, I have coarse hair but can comb through it just fine. The main problem is the tangles. Black women have whole other issues with hair than black men have.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
Man I wish I had this problem. I truly do. Because if I had that problem that would mean my life is awesome and I have no actual real problems to worry about.

Seriously, if you're black and this is what you decide to bitch about then you need to just shut the fuck up because you have it made.

Soltype

Most black women I know wear conspicuous wigs or fake hair in some capacity, so I agree Hollywood isn't accurately representing people.Most commercials i see with black people have their hair worn natural which isn't the norm.We need more weaves, cornrows and dreads on TV.

ryan13ts

Did you even actually read the article before you started with the (ignorant) assumptions? This isn't just an issue with black people, it's an issue with various people of color. On top of that,actresses in the article stated they do hire their own people sometimes since they've had so much trouble in the past with stylists the studios provide. I'm sure this seems trivial to you but appearance is directly tied in with these people's careers, so it's important to them that it's done right (the same way you'd care about something if it potentially affected your career).

And as far as the "blacks want racism", I don't even know how you got to that one from this topic of hair, and don't really want to either.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Man I wish I had this problem. I truly do. Because if I had that problem that would mean my life is awesome and I have no actual real problems to worry about.

Seriously, if you're black and this is what you decide to bitch about then you need to just shut the fuck up because you have it made.

This is an ignorant post... You DO realize that this is JUST one thing they're talking about, right? You can have other problems like Depression, kids with congenital heart defects, etc and STILL have this legitimate problem. Like the poster above me said, I don't know how you came to that conclusion and I really don't want to know either.

That's pretty interesting. I guess that's obvious, I didn't think of what a lack of diversity and merit based hiring can do, very interesting. Honestly those artists who have to bring their own stylists should get reimbursed since the union can't always provide the skills needed.

Last edited:

Xenon

So make all union makeup and hairdressers take classes to learn how to deal with all types of hair and skin tones.

zeorhymer

This all comes down to the fact many popular stylists and make-up artists don't know how to apply their craft to black or brown people who don't even make up 40% of Hollywood.
Wait what? Are you telling me that out of the millions of registered cosmetologists in the US, that a multi million budget film cannot find a stable of workers (or even a list of workers) who can work with non-white skin and hair? Considering that FORTY PERCENT of Hollywood is non-white, they need those people to get the looks correct.

And as far as the "blacks want racism", I don't even know how you got to that one from this topic of hair, and don't really want to either.
Unless you've been living under a rock, even your girl Michelle is perpetuating racism on national tv. While she and her family left said black neighborhood to be with the whites and who is now living in Martha's Vineyard.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Wait what? Are you telling me that out of the millions of registered cosmetologists in the US, that a multi million budget film cannot find a stable of workers (or even a list of workers) who can work with non-white skin and hair? Considering that FORTY PERCENT of Hollywood is non-white, they need those people to get the looks correct.

Unless you've been living under a rock, even your girl Michelle is perpetuating racism on national tv. While she and her family left said black neighborhood to be with the whites and who is now living in Martha's Vineyard.

Ever hear the old saying, "the world is smaller than you think"? Well, Hollywood is even smaller.

First, there's a HUGE difference between the neighborhood cosmetologist and hair salon person and someone who does said work in Hollywood.

A make-up artist has to not only make the star look good, but correct for lighting, blemishes that the camera will pick up, highlighting for the camera, etc. That's a vastly different skillset than Amy at Sephora.

Second, there's definitely a list they can pull from but given that there are multiple productions and multiple stars per movie who need make up and hair at any given time across the world, the pool of free agents may not be exactly free. So the ones who know how to deal with those issues may be tied up in one or several other productions. So then their list is even shorter to pull from of who can deal with black or brown skin and hair.

And to your statement to R ryan13ts ... Money doesn't change the fact you can still be the victim of prejudice. No matter where you live or what your title is.

Its always black women who make such a big deal about their hair. Can't touch that shit even if you date one and she likes you :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom