• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

L’Oreal Drops Transgender Model After ‘All White People’ Racism Post

Mesousa

Banned
Tone policing white moderates is a thing, though. Check any thread on GAF about race issues and you'll see 'allies' who are super woke about fighting the power until they get inconvenienced slightly by something like a protest blocking a street they might drive on and suddenly the civil right activists turn into black block anarcho-fascists in their eyes.

On the original topic: I can see why they canned her but should've considered that before hiring her. Black and trans is the most oppressed minority in the USA and you're surprised they might get angry?

The model in question was born/lives in the UK

The fact that me saying the words you are writing on the interwebz are bigoted and you defensively equate that to me saying your words are as bad as the centuries of slavery and every other racial injustice is telling. You have an agenda, and at the center of it is a pernicious, prejudiced, intellectually vapid and regressive belief system and a wholly unpleasant manner of conveying it.

Being racist is being racist. It's not about who was more racist. It's not a fucking contest. Just don't be racist.

For many of us, it's pretty easy to just not be racist.

It is all good and grand for you since it doesn't have any effect on you irl.
I have not stated anything racist.
I have shat on you who belong o the group of tone policing white moderates, and will continue to do so.

Zoc

It doesn't seem hard to believe that white people growing up in a place like the USA subconsciously absorb racist ideas, and are integrated into and comfortable with a racist system.

Does that extend to everyone, though? Generally, how do people feel about that idea that black people would also have unexamined racist preconceptions about other black people, even about themselves? The lady in the OP said something similar about gay people having ingrained shame about their own sexuality.

How is it transphobic to not find someone attractive?

Where did I say it's transphobic to not find somebody attractive? OR a better question, where did you declare you didn't find her attractive. And had you actually done so, why? Nobody cares what you find attractive.

Don't play stupid, stupid.

When people say "fuck White people" they seriously don't mean fuck every single White person on Earth.. The takeaway from their, admittedly, strong words should be that they're pushing back against White institutions and not all White people.

In a similar sense, when people say "fuck the police" they do not mean "fuck every single policeman" they mean "fuck the police's corrupt institution that protects cops that have no business serving."

That said, tone policing shouldn't be done to people that are seriously venting their thoughts out about systemic, inbalanced power structures. If you don't push hard enough, then nothing will be done. For an example, see the Stonewall Riots and how that put LGBT issues into the mainstream consciousness.
To be fair mate she did say 'yes, ALL white people' so I wouldn't exactly try to argue she didn't mean every.

OT: I think her follow-up somewhat worsens it, especially her relatively black and white views on the British Empire whereby scores of poor white children were put to work in astoundingly awful scenarios.

This is why Trump supporters don't get it. White people have privilege in a societal sense but poor whites in America and historically poor whites across the developed world are and have been treated like utter shit. Telling poor whites in America that they have privilege when they have poor schooling, poor housing, no prospects, no government income comparable to Europe, no universal healthcare, etc... it becomes a tough pill to swallow.

Then you have white people that support civil rights, don't want black people to be gunned down in the street by law enforcement, fight Nazis in Charlottesville and they're put under the umbrella with the same people they vehemently disagree with and hate.

Yeah, she makes some great points and I agree with a lot of it but I find this approach to the discussion misguided and am not surprised she got fired.

You think it's a more loved combination there? The difference, thankfully, is that trans POC are not literally killed on the streets regularly like they do in the USA.
Yes. It is.

The UK's police don't gun down black people, their government doesn't try and deny trans people's rights, I don't see how you'd be flippant about the difference?

She's likely still discriminated against but not on the scale the US exudes on some minorities.

It is all good and grand for you since it doesn't have any effect on you irl.
I have not stated anything racist.
I have shat on you who belong o the group of tone policing white moderates, and will continue to do so.

Well...

It's not being cynical but what white people have shown us

People who try and make the argument that racism against white people holds the same weight as racism against PoC make me sick.

I said all racism is bad. Your response was to project me saying being racist toward white people is as bad as against all POC.

You have been unable to say all racism is bad. Even towards, gasp, white people. Given everything else you've said, seems like there is only one plausible explanation.

EDIT: I will never understand what is so wrong with saying racism is bad no matter who the target of it is.

Carcetti

The UK's police don't gun down black people, their government doesn't try and deny trans people's rights, I don't see how you'd be flippant about the difference?

That's almost literally what I said.

Also, do you believe that people in say UK are not aware of what happens in, say, USA, and don't have opinions about that?

Well...

I said all racism is bad. Your response was to project me saying being racist toward white people is as bad as against all POC.

You have been unable to say all racism is bad. Even towards, gasp, white people. Given everything else you've said, seems like there is only one plausible explanation.

EDIT: I will never understand what is so wrong with saying racism is bad no matter who the target of it is.

I love how you are moving your goalposts from "you said fuck white people", to me using generalizations about how white people always have something bad to say about ALL FORMS OR PROTEST.

I want YOU to EXPLAIN how me pointing to the fact that white people take issue with every form of protest is racist.

I love how you are moving your goalposts from "you said fuck white people", to me using generalizations about how white people always have something bad to say about ALL FORMS OR PROTEST.

I want YOU to EXPLAIN how me pointing to the fact that white people take issue with every form of protest is racist.

White people are not a monolithic hivemind dude. It's simple. The fact that you can't see that is a clear indictment of your prejudices.

Guess what, generalizations about groups of people are wrong. I wasn't wrong to call you out initially and it isn't moving goalpost to continue to call you out.

What you are saying is categorically racist. ALL WHITE PEOPLE don't criticize forms of protest, fucking individuals do.

As a wise man once said, "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills."

All racism is bad. Just like all injuries are bad. But if you come into ER with a sprain on your little toesies expect to be told to sit down when someone with a severed arm rolls in.

I think her second statement is more to the point. L'Oréal shouldn't have fired her.

"ALL WHITE PEOPLE are monolithically responsible for historical and social institutions of racism, and all share in the blame for the events in Charlottesville" is also not a statement I agree with. White people, believe it or not, are not a monolith and many of us actually cognizant of social and cultural institutions that perpetuate racism. Especially in light of Charlottesville, where a white woman died protesting, emphasizing "ALL white people" and placing blame equally on them is, in my opinion, a really tone-deaf statement.

The current generation of white people are also born into this system and social conditioning. That doesn't negate the responsibility we have for doing our best to recognize racism in our culture, society and institutions in order to strive to eradicate it- but statements like "All white people are racist" serve instead to rile people up. "Racist" is a word that has a rightfully severe connotation. That's why more people take issue with that generalization than something like "All white people are conditioned by society to be racist".

That said, calling such generalizations racist does ignore the fact that even if you'd call them racist, that racism simple DOESN'T COMPARE IN THE SLIGHTEST to the racism people of color face. So you need to clarify that.

Also, I think such a statement, especially when devoid of context (not the case here), understandably would cause skepticism and disagreement. Without further context and definition, I wouldn't blame any white person for taking issue with that statement.

When people say "Hey maybe it's not a good idea to convey this opinion by calling a whole race racist", not all of them are disagreeing with what you're saying. Some of us just think that you could convey your ideas better AND avoid kneejerk reactions born from misunderstandings. That's not tone policing. Also saying that doesn't automatically imply a white person underestimates or doesn't care about the struggles of PoC. A lot of tone policing accusations boil down to "fuck you for disagreeing or being uncomfortable with what I say".

People having slight disagreements or things they're uncomfortable with (within reason) is not tone policing. It's constructive feedback. People have the freedom to disagree and criticize statements even if you're talking about racism as a non-PoC.

Edit: "A white person will take issue with how I say it anyway" is a weak-ass defense to not improve your phrasing. Rephrasing even just "all white people are racist" would go a long way towards eliminating controversy, backlash and misunderstandings. Who doesn't want that?

Volimar

I think there's definitely a conversation worth having about how much of white ascendancy was built on the backs of POC. Calling out "all" of any race is a really bad look though. I feel bad for her because you just know that a number of those complaints were from transphobes who were just looking for a way to get rid of her.

That's almost literally what I said.

Also, do you believe that people in say UK are not aware of what happens in, say, USA, and don't have opinions about that?
Almost but without the need to imply any difference in love was minor and then add some very major things.

Yes, they do and they're very strong and negative. A higher percentage of people in the UK are likely largely shocked and appalled by American racism than in the US.

Kinyou

To say "yes all white people are racist" in response to Charlottesville where a white girl was killed for protesting nazis just seems weird to me

All racism is bad. Just like all injuries are bad. But if you come into ER with a sprain on your little toesies expect to be told to sit down when someone with a severed arm rolls in.

I get what you are saying, but there is no need for moral equivalences here. We should be able to say police murdering black people at a higher rate than white people is bad while also saying laying guilt on all white people for the systemic racism that pervades our world is wrong.

We want people to be judged as individuals. When somebody says something racist, they should be criticized.

I'm white. I'll never experience what it's like to be a minority. That doesn't mean I have to shut up when people say racists things towards white people. It should be simple, racism is bad no matter how small or who it's against and it shouldn't be seen as trivializing more severe instances of racism by saying that.

Sony

Nintendo
White woman died in a protest agaist Nazism, Fascism, white supremacy, and this model goes out or her way to say "Yes ALL white people". Any damage control on her part is null as she emphasized ALL.

White people are not a monolithic hivemind dude. It's simple. The fact that you can't see that is a clear indictment of your prejudices.

Guess what, generalizations about groups of people are wrong. I wasn't wrong to call you out initially and it isn't moving goalpost to continue to call you out.

What you are saying is categorically racist. ALL WHITE PEOPLE don't criticize forms of protest, fucking individuals do.

As a wise man once said, "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills."

I want to call everyone attention to how this poster has now abandoned the "you are a racist" argument and moved his goal posts to prejudices.
Dude knows he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Now we come to the nitty gritty.
The idéa that all generalization regarding groups of people are bad.
I don't agree with this.
Since by using generalization we can see trends and also back up our claims regarding racism and show that it a structural thing.
I won't blame a PoC looking at the USA/world and being terrified and angry.
I will call out fuckers who try and say our anger isn't justified and use it against us cause apparently we must be nice to the people or they will vote for Drumpfh.
Nah, fuck that.

We want people to be judged as individuals. When somebody says something racist, they should be criticized.

I'm not going to judge a person beaten under an oppressive system their whole life the same way as somebody who benefits from that system. I cannot begin to imagine the frustration that person has to contend with from all the malice directed at them for decades of living. If they vent and say something stupid then I'm apt to understand that is where it comes from and they don't literally think what they are saying. So no, I don't think they should necessarily be criticized unless you truthfully believe they are exhibiting hatred for all of the privileged demographic.

Drackhorn

I cannot see how 'all whites are racist' is not a racist remark. Racism is judging people by nothing more than the color of their skin.

I want to call everyone attention to how this poster has now abandoned the "you are a racist" argument and moved his goal posts to prejudices.
Dude knows he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Now we come to the nitty gritty.
The idéa that all generalization regarding groups of people are bad.
I don't agree with this.
Since by using generalization we can see trends and also back up our claims regarding racism and show that it a structural thing.
I won't blame a PoC looking at the USA/world and being terrified and angry.
I will call out fuckers who try and say our anger isn't justified and use it against us cause apparently we must be nice to the people or they will vote for Drumpfh.
Nah, fuck that.

Yes, please cal attention to his after calling you and your statements racist several times I used a synonym. Oh, you got me.

And please call attention to yourself for being okay with using broad generalizations.

And bring attention to when I said you need to protest nicely or that your anger isn't justified.

And I don't know if you somehow think I voted for Trump because I'm calling you out for your racist statements about white people, but my post history is littered with me calling out in the clearest and at times most profane terms Trump and the surrounding peope.

I'll say it to you clearly, just because you are a POC doesn't mean you can be racist towards whites people.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Racism being a thing all sides can fall prey to seems to keep coming as a shock to some. Pro-tip: if your daily rhetoric includes a vast quantity of "white people this" and "white people that", it may be time to check yourself.

Yeah, that's a statement you deserve to lose your job over.
Pretty much. If you are the face of a company - and especially its marketing efforts - then you should probably be a bit more nuanced when airing your opinion. Which she does in the explanation, but by then it is already too late.

I'm not going to judge a person beaten under an oppressive system their whole life the same way as somebody who benefits from that system. I cannot begin to imagine the frustration that person has to contend with from all the malice directed at them for decades of living. If they vent and say something stupid then I'm apt to understand that is where it comes from and they don't literally think what they are saying. So no, I don't think they should necessarily be criticized unless you truthfully believe they are exhibiting hatred for all of the privileged demographic.

I judge people by their words and actions. Obviously there is some leeway, but saying something racist is still saying something racist. Being called out for pointing it out is outlandish. I also try not to assume I know a persons beliefs.

It should be pretty obvious too. If more and more minorities start saying racist things towards the majority do you think that is the solution to equanimity among people? No. It will make more people in the majority racist. It's divisive, and even if we forgive people for feeling frustrated and minimized that shouldn't give them free license to say bigoted things.

Racism is racism. Every person should strive to not be racist. It's a very simple concept. That doesn't mean that all racism is equal, but all racism should be equally avoided.

Yes, please cal attention to his after calling you and your statements racist several times I used a synonym. Oh, you got me.

And please call attention to yourself for being okay with using broad generalizations.

And bring attention to when I said you need to protest nicely or that your anger isn't justified.

And I don't know if you somehow think I voted for Drumpf because I'm calling you out for your racist statements about white people, but my post history is littered with me calling out in the clearest and at times most profane terms Drumpf and the surrounding peope.

I'll say it to you clearly, just because you are a POC doesn't mean you can be racist towards whites people.

Again, I never used a racist statement.
"Tone policing white moderate" isn't a race.

Pointing that white people don't care for anyway PoC protest isn't racist.

Checkmate.

Also you are then one who started quoting me.
I didn't quote your BS, but yet you took offense.

Again, I never used a racist statement.
"Tone policing white moderate" isn't a race.

Pointing that white people don't care for anyway PoC protest isn't racist.

Checkmate.

Also you are then one who started quoting me.
I didn't quote your BS, but yet you took offense.

Do you even know the definition of racism? I honestly don't think you do if you can make sweeping negative generalizations of an entire ethnicity and balk at me saying that is an example of racism.

Checkmate? Nice.

It should be pretty obvious too. If more and more minorities start saying racist things towards the majority do you think that is the solution to equanimity among people?

I dunno. As a white person if bunch of people said something negative about me being white I'd just be like 'k'. But I'm probably not as fragile as most.

Tone policing white moderate isn't a race.

It can be!

42EtC39.png

Edit: crap, there wasn't enough room for the E.

I didn't.

Tone policing white moderate isn't a race.

You said white people criticize every form of POC protest. You have made broad statements about white people. You've been pretty clear in fact. That's even disregarding the "tone policing white moderates"

You criticize somebody who says all racism is bad.

I dunno. As a white person if bunch of people said something negative about me being white I'd just be like 'k'. But I'm probably not as fragile as most.

I mean if you're okay with racist statements towards white people I commend you for your chill but I certainly don't think calling out racist statements even if it is against white people is somehow wrong.

Tact should be a mandatory part of the school syllabus s.

The amount of people who don't have it and needlessly suffer because of it is ridiculous.

The logic of we can only help/concern our selves with the people who are the absolute worst off is BS. By that logic trans people need to stop complaining because there are people who are litterally starving to death who deserve the world's help first. It is possible to help multiple groups and anyone who experiences significant suffering deserves help. Fighting against bigotry, hatred or suffering is good no matter who is spouting the hatred.

You said white people criticize every form of POC protest. You have made broad statements about white people. You've been pretty clear in fact. That's even disregarding the "tone policing white moderates"

You criticize somebody who says all racism is bad.

I mean if you're okay with racist statements towards white people I commend you for your chill but I certainly don't think calling out racist statements even if it is against white people is somehow wrong.

I wrote

"No lies detected.

Also fuck tone policing white moderates."

Tone policing white moderates isn't a race.

You then write following calling me racist.

"So yeah, this is an example of one of the things I very much dislike about discussions about race and racism. People saying, "making derogatory, sweeping generalizations about an entire race is still racist" can be critisized as "tone policing" by "white moderates."

It's regressive, and unfortunately ironic given the topic."

So the fact stands.
I didn't say anything racist since tone policing white people aren't a race.

"I understand that no matter what PoC say white people will find it problematic.
I just plain don't buy the thought that white people will be more receptive if we change our tone/argument/protest."

Is what i wrote after. And it is something that I stand by, prejudice it may be but tbh I'm tired of finding the right fucking balance for white so called moderate people.
I mean just look at Colin Kaepernick! All dude did was take a knee and people lost their mind.
I honestly don't know how we should get our message across and honestly I don't think it matters.
Since the majority will always interpret criticism as an attack it doesn't matter how the fuck we phrase ourselves.
The thought that progress would be swifter if the oppressed only argued nicer is fucking infuriating since there is NO EVIDENCE THAT BACKS THAT UP!

She could have opened doors, could have been the break through in transgender people in public roles, she could have been a massive role model!!!

But no, as we see far too often in this day and age people speak without engaging their brain properly.

I wish people wouldn't tar a whole race based on colour, hell I thought in this day and age we would have moved passed this whole colour issue and just seen people as people.

L'Oréal had no option, I hope she is able to learn from this.

BrhysH

Imagine the world we'd live in if we stopped labelling each other based on a slight genetical difference and just called each other fellow humans.

The things we could accomplish.

Audioboxer

Preface: everyone's racist. It's more or less a universally imposed element of social conditioning in human culture at present, and we're hardwired to utilize reductive stereotypes one way or another in social interactions for expedience, so as long as there are cultural distinctions between supposed races of people those distinctions will be used to racist ends. We're all racist. The important buffer between those subconscious mechanisms and how you ultimately comport yourself comes down to the awareness of your racial biases and how they might be influencing you from the instant you have that racial data in-hand, and whether you attempt to adjust for that where possible in order to treat people fairly and respectfully based on their individual qualities instead (especially when something significant is on the line with that interaction). The second half of that buffer is how you acknowledge and account for whatever privilege society affords you in this embarrassingly stupid codified hierarchy, and that part's where, arguably, the disproportionately privileged folks have disproportionate responsibilities.

What you said about social conditioning and human culture often takes the form of ingroups/outgroups

In sociology and social psychology, an ingroup is a social group to which a person psychologically identifies as being a member. By contrast, an outgroup is a social group with which an individual does not identify. For example, people may find it psychologically meaningful to view themselves according to their race, culture, gender, age or religion. It has been found that the psychological membership of social groups and categories is associated with a wide variety of phenomena.

The terminology was made popular by Henri Tajfel and colleagues during his work in formulating social identity theory. The significance of ingroup and outgroup categorization was identified using a method called the minimal group paradigm. Tajfel and colleagues found that people can form self-preferencing ingroups within a matter of minutes and that such groups can form even on the basis of seemingly trivial characteristics, such as preferences for certain paintings.[1][2][3][4][5]

In-group favoritism

This refers to the fact that under certain conditions people will prefer and have affinity for one's ingroup over the outgroup, or anyone viewed as outside the ingroup. This can be expressed in one's evaluation of others, linking, allocation of resources and many other ways.[6]

Outgroup derogation

Discrimination between ingroups and outgroups is a matter of favoritism towards an ingroup and the absence of equivalent favoritism towards an outgroup.[7] Outgroup derogation is the phenomenon in which an outgroup is perceived as being threatening to the members of an ingroup.[8] This phenomenon often accompanies ingroup favoritism, as it requires one to have an affinity towards their ingroup. Some research suggests that outgroup derogation occurs when an outgroup is perceived as blocking or hindering the goals of an ingroup. It has also been argued that outgroup derogation is a natural consequence of the categorization process.[9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingroups_and_outgroups

Sorry for the wiki dump, you did explain it correctly, but it's worthwhile giving everyone in here some of the "science theories" behind human behaviours when it comes to socialisation/grouping. As you said it's how people deal with how they are influenced/socialised. Even fellow animals and species around us stick to in and out groups. Humans might be at the top of the hierarchy for intelligence, but we still have our evolutionary legacy to understand/deal with. For the most part we're nowhere near as rigid to sticking to our group, or tribe, as some other species are. We're probably by far the most respectable species at successfully integrating and mixing with other races, ethnicities, cultures and so on. That being said you can still witness in/out groups on NeoGAF. Topics setup for the benefit/inclusion of the group, versus the exclusion of any out-groups. I'm not saying that's wrong, simply pointing out it happens naturally in societies. I myself when I see groups I can't identify with might even give it a miss trying to take part, and I don't feel resentful about that, I just accept it might not be a group I can successfully be part of. It's a measurable part of life, and a reality for nearly everyone to some extent. I'd say up front people on here are hypocrites if they try to claim they've not been influenced or ever felt more comfortable with some sort of in-group favouritism. Whether it's to do with their age, culture, religion, hobbies, or yes, even race. With the latter, you can see it all across the internet with some sort of grouping/collection of or celebration of a singular race/culture.

But humans aren't perfect, putting fairly benign and acceptable in-group favouritism aside. A lot of violence going on now and all throughout our history has been wars fought against a "group" outside another "group". Whether it's blacks vs whites, straights vs homosexuals, West vs East, someone vs the Jews (one of the most oppressed groups ever), etc. As anyone will say, it's all about how individuals and groups respond to socialisation. Mild forms of in-group behaviour are normal, sometimes even healthy, going full hostile/violent/oppressive towards other groups is not. However, broad sweeping generalisations without understanding some not too complex behavioural matters/psychology/socialisation can come across very coarse or rough around the edges. Such as when people have very little nuance around "all x people are y". That doesn't stand scientific scrutiny nor does it hold up against evidence. Talking about societal privileges is correct to do (as yes, some groups do see more privileges than others), but when you see posts after posts arguing about homeless person x vs homeless person y you know some people are starting to get a bit far gone.

As for the topic in general, apart from gaslighting the internet and social platforms into a frenzy of arguing, underneath it's a simple case of you cannot represent a large brand based company that serves all customers regardless of their race, ethnicity, sex, religion and so on and be an overly vocal political activist that may ignite the brand in your own political beliefs. It just goes with the line of work you are in, for better or worse. Coming out hard on outgroup derogation is not going to fly for a company like L'Oreal. They need to protect their brand and come across as a company that will try to sell to all people.

"I understand that no matter what PoC say white people will find it problematic.
I just plain don't buy the thought that white people will be more receptive if we change our tone/argument/protest."

Is what i wrote after. And it is something that I stand by, prejudice it may be but tbh I'm tired of finding the right fucking balance for white so called moderate people.
I mean just look at Colin Kaepernick! All dude did was take a knee and people lost their mind.
I honestly don't know how we should get our message across and honestly I don't think it matters.
Since the majority will always interpret criticism as an attack it doesn't matter how the fuck we phrase ourselves.
The thought that progress would be swifter if the oppressed only argued nicer is fucking infuriating since there is NO EVIDENCE THAT BACKS THAT UP!

Ok. Hopefully you would agree that saying something like "fuck muslims, why do they hate america so much?" after a terrorist attack is wrong. Why? Because the small group of radicals who truly hate america are not going to read your fucking forum post and even if the did, they won't care about your opinion. The Muslim people who will read your forum post are going to be the Muslims who live in western countries who haven't done anything to hurt anyone. And it is those Muslims, the ones who are on your side, who you make feel excluded and hated.

When you make broad generalizations about white people, you are doing the same thing. Instead of hurting the feelings of the people you are actually talking about, you are simply alienating the white people who are on your side. You make them feel like they are not allowed to be on you side, that you already hate them. This is Neogaf, chances are good that the white people reading your posts are liberals. So just be specific. Say right wingers will get upset by anything POC say regarding progressive changes. Unless you actually do just hate all white people.

Nere

I find it disturbing how many people agree with generalizing an entire race like that, any race for that matter.

Lime

I find it disturbing how many people agree with generalizing an entire race like that, any race for that matter.

Imagine how disturbing it must be to be born into a society that oppresses and murders you because you're not white and then when you bring this up to people, you are met with hostility and opposition.

And then this cycle goes on for centuries and centuries until you're fed up with and then told you have to be nicer when you voice your grievances.

The logic of we can only help/concern our selves with the people who are the absolute worst off is BS. By that logic trans people need to stop complaining because there are people who are litterally starving to death who deserve the world's help first. It is possible to help multiple groups and anyone who experiences significant suffering deserves help. Fighting against bigotry, hatred or suffering is good no matter who is spouting the hatred.

Doesn't seem you understood what you quoted.

Top Bottom