• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Creator of Super Mario Hacks gets hit hard by Nintendo's Youtube Policies.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
If these guys weren't making money off of Nintendo's IP, I'd be more on their side ... but, since they're profiting from someone else's work without compensation -- and doing it illegally for that matter, I don't really have an issue with this.

You do realize they put a lot of work into it too right?
It's amazing how so many people look at this one sided.

Effect

I guess its because they dont want people yo be confused with super mario maker.

I don't doubt at all this is what is pushing this now. Nintendo is doing on the Today show tomorrow morning in the US to push Super Mario Maker. They likely don't want any confusion at all in regards to this game. They're pushing this thing like how they pushed the Wii at it's launch from what I'm seeing. Or at the very least damn near close. They're not playing around at all with this. Anyone or anything in the way of this is likely getting walked on.

In most cases I would agree with you, but you have to remember that these aren't legitimate Nintendo games. These are hacks. Imagine that you and I decided to create our own The Simpsons cartoons. We wrote scripts and animated them to look just like the original. On top of that, we earned money through advertisements and Patreon. Don't you think that Fox would shut us down rather quickly?

If these guys weren't making money off of Nintendo's IP, I'd be more on their side ... but, since they're profiting from someone else's work without compensation -- and doing it illegally for that matter, I don't really have an issue with this.

What's illegal about it?

MUnited83

For you.
In most cases I would agree with you, but you have to remember that these aren't legitimate Nintendo games. These are hacks. Imagine that you and I decided to create our own The Simpsons cartoons. We wrote scripts and animated them to look just like the original. On top of that, we earned money through advertisements and Patreon. Don't you think that Fox would shut us down rather quickly?
? Just look at Abridged series and how most companies have no issue with it or take it down.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
That competition wasn't using tool-assisted games.

The competition invited people whose full-time job is researching games using tool-assisted games, celebrating them as great members of the community, and using their appearance in the competition to promote the thing they're selling.

Nintendo is protecting themselves by taking down videos that misrepresent their intellectual property.

Honestly, this is the kind of thing that's not worth responding to, because you're simply parroting the same stupid-ass legalese without even an attempt to make an argument. It's just "Nintendo is doing this". OK, and?

KevinCow

Banned
? Just look at Abridged series and how most companies have no issue with it or take it down.

The abridged series dealt with a lot of legal issues in the early days, and they now all have a big "WE ARE NOT ASSOCIATED WITH THIS IP'S OWNERS!" disclaimer at the beginning of all their videos.

Pinky

Banned

stunned-silence-gif-1.gif

I can understand Nintendo claiming ad revenue on these videos, but it seems extremely unproductive for them to take the videos down entirely. =/ Are they that worried that rom hack are going to cut into SMM revenue? I feel like if SMM does its job well then rom hacks shouldn't be a threat to it at all.

I don't think this could be made a court case. Youtube terms of services means everyone who makes videos on youtube has to agree to youtube having the right to take down videos for whatever reason. As log as those aren't contested, no legal action can be taken on anything else, because there's nothing to bring to court

Yep, this is basically it.

MUnited83

For you.
The abridged series dealt with a lot of legal issues in the early days, and they now all have a big "WE ARE NOT ASSOCIATED WITH THIS IP'S OWNERS!" disclaimer at the beginning of all their videos.
And? Currently most of them can monetize their vídeos, have patreons, and in some cases even sell merchandise.

Audioboxer

I think the people who say "Nintendo is completely within their rights to do this" are kind of missing the point. The argument isn't whether they can, it's whether they should. Do you really think a TAS SMW video is going to hurt anything Nintendo does? Any audience that is making that content or seeking that content would be your most ardent supporters, and you are basically telling them to stop having fun with this and go have fun with something else.

Doing things right vs doing the right thing.

Nintendo should watch Shahid Kamal deliver that speech.

LeleSocho

Banned
Please, explain how I'm wrong then. If you really think situations like this hurt Nintendo, then I think you're being ridiculous. And the idea of a company not wanting people to keep using the same product forever, but rather keep on buying new products is not a particularly new or radical idea.

You are not only wrong your argumentations are pure fluff based on pure fantasy
First you go on saying that "Speed running is generally a niche community" but then when they play a game they actually hurt Nintendo's business... it's either niche or relevant, it can't be both.
Then the fact that it hurts business because they do not buy new software is a thing that you invented on the fly because you essentially choose to ignore the fact speedrunners very often try to speedrun the sequels of games that they played for hundreds of hours before, i won't give you simple examples because almost every speedrunner does this, just look around.

Even if you don't count the above you still have a couple of prime examples that speedrunners not only help to sell new games but also to create them:
romscout, known Castlevania SOTN runner, was on the fundraiser stream with Koji Igarashi to help raise the money for Bloodstained which is a spiritual successor of the Konami series and guess how did he help? By playing alongside Iga SOTN, a 18 years old game that the runner played for his own admission thousand of hours (plus hundreds of hours to all the sequels that have been released).
Another example is the Uncharted runner ovendonkey that has been hired by Naughty Dogs to be a playtester to fix bugs and glitches.
Oh and let's not forget how speedrunners like CosmoWright, Trihex and others were invited to sponsor the Nintendo World Championship at this year's E3 which was the best (only good) part of Nintendo's presentation.

So i just demonstrated how speedrunners: give money to software houses by buying sequels of the game they run, help videogame creators fund their projects by giving them exposure with their runs and help developers make better games by testing them.
Which is exactly the opposite of what you said.

Romhackers furthermore helped so much the franchises that Nintendo felt the need to use the same ideas of romhacks and actually make an official game around creating your own levels, if this isn't essentially helping them make more money i don't know what it is.

Now on the other side, how removing Youtube videos of TAS and romhacks damages Nintendo's brand? The very answer of this question is this thread, see how many people "in the know" are not happy to say the least about this course of action and think about all the fans of the contents that they are trying to delete from the internet, these kind of people are the greatest fan and technically Nintendo should keep them the happiest.
Nintendo might not care and is willing to take the hit but it's obvious that stuff like this put them in a very bad light, it may come the day where they might exaggerate and they are met with huge backlash from communities and have a global exposure about this stuff.

Storm360

I wonder if you could use the existence of the Retron 5 and TASBot to argue that it could be done on legit hardware.

Nintendo won't do it, but what would be great would be to allow proof the emulated game is legit (dumped via the users own cartridge), that would basically completely disregard any piracy issues

Panda Rin

Small indie games are not the same as Nintendo's. The comparison is ludicrous in my opinion. And Nintendo has a shitload of youtubers who cover their stuff. The idea that they don't is ridiculous. They also regularly collaborate with popular youtubers for stuff. The reason they act the way they do is honestly because they stand absolutely nothing to lose by doing so, so even minimal gains help them

I wasn't clear enough with my initial claim. If indies can solely rely on Youtube as a means to generate a fanbase, that alone can justify the impact it could have on any other game regardless of how you categorize them. What Nintendo is doing here, no matter how minor you might think it may be, is hurting Nintendo. You rarely see (if ever) this sort of practice anywhere else, and if it does exist, it's generally frowned upon.

its as simple as that.

What does that mean? And please, explain: What benefit to Nintendo does gain from that if they don't sell more copies of their stuff than they would otherwise. Nintendo is a business, not a charity.

And speed runners spending thousands of hours on one game hurts in another way: If they're spending that much time on an old game, are they actually buying new games?

Again, Nintendo is a business. It's ridiculous to think they'll put anything ahead of the bottom line

Seems pretty straight forward. People who devote shitloads of time to one old game have way less time and need to spend lots of money on new games. Even if they still buy new games, they're likely to buy less if there focus is the one game they run
What in sweet fuck?

Where does this line of thinking hold any weight whatsoever? By your logic, Brawl and Smash 4 should have sold like dog shit since the fan base spends all of its time obsessing over Melee. What is your source for this "logic"?
Do you actually need evidence that TAS videos help generate sales? Can you even chart that?

Many years ago FOX used to actively campaign to shut down any and all fansites for The Simpsons. Paramount did the same for Star Trek. They claimed it was "copyright infringement."

And, technically, they were right. These fans were using names, imagery, and more, all without permission. That constitutes the literal legal definition for a breach of copyright.

This was years before the "geek merchandising revolution." All these fans wanted to do was have a place to congregate with like-minded individuals, to discuss shared topics, and to stay up to date with news on their favorite TV show.

My point here is you can't choose your fanbase. You can't jerk your fanbase around on a leash. Eventually FOX and Paramount realized that it was better to embrace these people than try to control them. It doesn't matter if there's a direct correlation between (XYZ) thing and sales, because fandom is infectious. One fan becomes two fans becomes four fans.

Four fans fill out a wiki. Now you've made 16 fans. Etc.

Nintendo is taking something that doesn't actually hurt anyone and is demonizing it. They are being outlandish and controlling. They are creating negativity and pushing away the very same people who would support them. And worst of all, they are developing a reputation for this negativity.

If you can't see that that's a bad thing, then... I don't even know what else to say, really.
Hey look, reasoned logic. I can't believe people get paid to circumvent their fans in such nature.

These arguments about it being such hard work to hack and modify other people's work for profit are less and less legitimate the easier it gets to just download unity and do it yourself legitimately.

There are also loads of open source free decent art tools alongside unity.

The barriers to creating games have never been lower - make it happen if you want, but don't use someone else's IP and cry when they take it away.

As a hobby, fine, but don't expect to make money or a living off it.

totowhoa

Banned
Fuck you Nintendo. I hate this shitty policy that seems so against the positive culture they're trying to develop.

Doubling down on this bullshit just makes me less interested in their next system.

Don't doubt I'll still get it since they haven't burned this bridge completely yet, but way to piss on your fans here and make people less supportive.

Fuck you Nintendo. I hate this shitty policy that seems so against the positive culture they're trying to develop.

Doubling down on this bullshit just makes me less interested in their next system.

Don't doubt I'll still get it since they haven't burned this bridge completely yet, but way to piss on your fans here and make people less supportive.

The problem with these hacks is the methods of gaining access to them or creating them requires piracy of some kind.

Mods on PC don't necessarily rely on piracy but mods on console games almost always do. I mean, it stinks, but it's no reason to get upset at the company.

Personally I think they have a right to de-monetize the videos but they shouldn't take them down. Let the content exist but stop people from profiting on it.

Storm360

The problem with these hacks is the methods of gaining access to them or creating them requires piracy of some kind.

Mods on PC don't necessarily rely on piracy but mods on console games almost always do. I mean, it stinks, but it's no reason to get upset at the company.

Personally I think they have a right to de-monetize the videos but they shouldn't take them down. Let the content exist but stop people from profiting on it.

That's not true, you can use a Kazzo for NES games or a Retrode for SNES games and create romdumps from your own cartridges which you can modify legally, with some of the new emulation consoles such as the Retrode you don't even need to dump a game anymore to play romhacks, you can patch the game on the fly when it's loaded into RAM on the console.

Overside

Banned
Its not just youtube videos, Nintendo seems to be cracking down pretty hard.

Several sites that have been left undisturbed for years upon years, that distributed original... ish content (amongst not original at all content) have suddenly gone dark.

meanspartan

Im so split on Nintendo. On the one hand I fucking love them, obviously.

But on the other hand, I want them to hurt for shit like this and region locking.

meanspartan

I'd like to see the sources supporting your statement, if possible

At some point, fact demanding is just there to be needlessly argumentative.

Several Lets Players have hundreds of thousands or millions of subscribers. You really need sources to support that that kind of exposure is good for a game?

Come on.

Freiya

Hmm, I just don't see how Nintendo benefits AT ALL from this.
Newer stuff you could argue people are watching instead of buying and playing it... but for old NES stuff?

It's just shooting yourself in the foot.

I wonder when the company will ever grow up?

Never! lol

KingBroly

Banned

They always have had that disclaimer in front of DBZ Abridged.

Why do people keep spouting this bullshit.

It's not illegal to dump a copy of a game you own.

It's not illegal to reverse engineer the code and figure out how to edit the data files that the game reads to create new levels.

It's not illegal to load those data files using the dump of the copy you own in an emulator.

There is no 'requirement' to pirate a game here.

I see both sides. I do not agree to destroying a guy's YouTube channel becuase he did TAS's of ROM hacks. No ads I saw unless forced.
It is also hipocracy becuase ThatOneVideoGamer played Kaizo in his other monotized channel, but he is getting invited by Nintendo to do a promotion.

Guess the rules do not apply to you when you are buds with NoA.

Rich!

Why do people keep spouting this bullshit.

It's not illegal to dump a copy of a game you own.

It's not illegal to reverse engineer the code and figure out how to edit the data files that the game reads to create new levels.

It's not illegal to load those data files using the dump of the copy you own in an emulator.

There is no 'requirement' to pirate a game here.

Yep.

It's absolutely maddening to keep reading this crap in each emulation related thread here. Like, seriously.

I mean hell, I've ripped most of my ROMs from Wii VC games for one thing.

Disgusting imo, Those videos aren't like normal gaming videos, as replays of speedruns, 1 Credit Clears & High Score Superplays of retro arcade games is the glue that holds their respective communities together, as it's through replays that they share strategies and improve off each other.

Half of these types of replays are grey area emulation / pirated but all other game devs who still make new games allow them to exist because they know how important it is to their fanbase.

It's like Capcom in order to sell Devil May Cry 4 SE they end up removing all the Devil May Cry 4 tutorial & combo vids because they are the older PC version with hacks running on them, Capcom MIGHT sell more copies of DMC4 SE but at what cost?

I think it's high time gamers moved on mass to another video streaming site out of the clutches of Google and Nintendo.

Fighting piracy is a good thing, that they are well within their right to do, but they are going about it in the worst possible manner. This is just shameful.

Red Devil

Im so split on Nintendo. On the one hand I fucking love them, obviously.

But on the other hand, I want them to hurt for shit like this and region locking.

Region locking isn't exclusive to Nintendo, they're the biggest supporters, sure, I guess it'll become more obvious in the cherished by many "digital future".

At some point, fact demanding is just there to be needlessly argumentative.

Several Lets Players have hundreds of thousands or millions of subscribers. You really need sources to support that that kind of exposure is good for a game?

Come on.

Games, yes, but how does that apply to romhacks?

Exile20

SonyToo!™;178183844 said:
Disgusting imo, Those videos aren't like normal gaming videos, as replays of speedruns, 1 Credit Clears & High Score Superplays of retro arcade games is the glue that holds their respective communities together, as it's through replays that they share strategies and improve off each other.

Half of these types of replays are grey area emulation / pirated but all other game devs who still make new games allow them to exist because they know how important it is to their fanbase.

It's like Capcom in order to sell Devil May Cry 4 SE they end up removing all the Devil May Cry 4 tutorial & combo vids because they are the older PC version with hacks running on them, Capcom MIGHT sell more copies of DMC4 SE but at what cost?

I think it's high time gamers moved on mass to another video streaming site out of the clutches of Google and Nintendo.

You think copyright policies only exist on Google?

Anyway I see where Nintendo is coming from but ye it sucks for the community.

nded

Wow, so i can take anything and make money off of it once I put a lot of work into it? Good to know.

Well yeah. Nintendo muscling in on the Mario hack scene with Mario Maker is one example. Also insert hip hop sample joke here.

Stimpack

It's pretty sad to see such a large company continue to be so stuck in the past. In more ways than just this policy stuff, I mean. Nintendo always feels like in more ways than one it's just completely behind the rest of the world.

Wow, so i can take anything and make money off of it once I put a lot of work into it? Good to know.

This is a cool, well-thought out, and not at all entirely snarky way to reply to this.

I think the general thing to keep in mind here is that these are fans. And, in a weird way, this is how they are celebrating one of their favorite games: by deconstructing it byte-by-byte and creating something objectively perfect from it (in this case, the "perfect" speed run -- one so precise, only a computer could execute it).

In a way, it's almost like how a mechanic knows how every single component of an engine works -- because they've take one apart and put it back together again. Sometimes that's for maintenance reasons, but sometimes that's just because they think it's fun to modify cars.

That is at the heart of why this is such a problem. They are punishing fans for being fans.

Sure, this guy was making money from this video, but I'm willing to bet that the money he made wasn't even 0.1% of what Nintendo just made off of Amiibos this year. They are antagonizing people that don't deserve it. They are making a spectacle out of something that shouldn't even matter to them.

That's a big fucking problem.

Top Bottom