• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami announces TurboGrafx16 Mini, PC Engine Mini, and Engine Core Grafx Mini

shoplifter

Got sick of waiting so I ordered a mini from Japan. I'll just keep my US order and have both, I guess.

No wonder this would have its work cut out to be successful in Europe, seeing as nearly 30 years ago, it was near enough un-heard of this side of the globe...

Actually really sad. It hit here in the States at the wrong time, like two weeks after the Genesis, while it had a year head start in Japan. The machine itself is really great, TBH. It's one of my favorite consoles ever. I think it could have been successful had it hit in 1988, but waiting until 1989, after the Genesis was a death knell for it. That said, the 80s were still weird here, after the crash, there was a lot of perceived risk in releasing another console even though the NES was wildly successful.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Still bummed they left off some really good games like Legendary Axe 1 and 2 and Keith Courage in the Alpha Zones among others.....

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Ditto. Picked up a pc engine mini from amazon.jp and will keep the us variant if/when it is released.

The sound of the CDi2 spinning up is awesome....had a super wide grin on my face when I loaded up Lords of Thunder*.

Last edited:

KellyM

Ditto. Picked up a pc engine mini from amazon.jp and will keep the us variant if/when it is released.

The sound of the CDi2 spinning up is awesome....had a super wide grin on my face when I loaded up thunder force!
You mean Lords of Thunder not Thunder Force.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Is there an English patch for Snatcher? I have always wanted to play it and my CoreGrafx mini will be the closest I can get to doing it legally

RAIDEN1

Got sick of waiting so I ordered a mini from Japan. I'll just keep my US order and have both, I guess.

Actually really sad. It hit here in the States at the wrong time, like two weeks after the Genesis, while it had a year head start in Japan. The machine itself is really great, TBH. It's one of my favorite consoles ever. I think it could have been successful had it hit in 1988, but waiting until 1989, after the Genesis was a death knell for it. That said, the 80s were still weird here, after the crash, there was a lot of perceived risk in releasing another console even though the NES was wildly successful.
Yeah but also they had to get the marketing right as well, there is no point in putting in any effort in the States, if you haven't got a marketing plan to back it up...otherwise it is an easy victory for Sega, let alone Nintendo....

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I just ordered a JP model too. I had pre-ordered a Core Grafx model from Amazon.uk but now I wonder if it'll even get released.

Thanks for the info guys and gals! Just ordered mine from Amazon Japan and canceled my European pre order. Who knows what’ll happen with that one. I’m fine with the Japanese version thank you very much :) This’ll be my fifth mini console.

shoplifter

Yeah but also they had to get the marketing right as well, there is no point in putting in any effort in the States, if you haven't got a marketing plan to back it up...otherwise it is an easy victory for Sega, let alone Nintendo....

For sure, they sort of sent it out there to die. i don’t remember ever seeing one in KayBee, and we didn’t have any TRU near us.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Did they cancel the EU version? I can't find anything on Amazon. 🤔😔🥶
So I just got my JP version, (took one day from Japan, surprised). My Core Grafx PC Engine mini from Amazon.co.jp got charged this morning and is shipping today.

3Rtlw2L.jpg

Last edited:

munancho

Banned
How is the emulation quality of these compared to say a hacked PSC with RetroArch? Anyone got both so they can do a side by side comparison as the Sega Mini put me off M2 projects along with the limited distribution of this one.

Pachi72

How is the emulation quality of these compared to say a hacked PSC with RetroArch? Anyone got both so they can do a side by side comparison as the Sega Mini put me off M2 projects along with the limited distribution of this one.
It's very good. M2 did the Emulation

Animagic

Banned
Finally got estimated shipping date on my order. I’m stoked to finally get this. Are the units out in the Wild hacked wide open yet?

Last edited:

Animagic

Banned
My turbo mini and 8bitdo controller arrived yesterday! I only got to play for about an hour last night, but I’m really happy with it. I haven’t used the 8bitdo controller yet.

I always wanted one of these when I was a kid and my dad refused to get it for me. He would say we already had a Nintendo and that was enough. Well, I finally have one (kind of) 😂

It’s a really nice package and I consider it a miracle that it even exists at all, let alone that it’s been made with this much care.

There are a few games I wish were included but there’s a lot here to like actually. I really love these mini consoles. Well done, Konami. I honestly didn’t think you had it in you.

ecZtehF.jpg

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
My turbo mini and 8bitdo controller arrived yesterday! I only got to play for about an hour last night, but I’m really happy with it. I haven’t used the 8bitdo controller yet.

I always wanted one of these when I was a kid and my dad refused to get it for me. He would say we already had a Nintendo and that was enough. Well, I finally have one (kind of) 😂

It’s a really nice package and I consider it a miracle that it even exists at all, let alone that it’s been made with this much care.

There are a few games I wish were included but there’s a lot here to like actually. I really love these mini consoles. Well done, Konami. I honestly didn’t think you had it in you.

ecZtehF.jpg
In term of quality of UI design and emulation, it's an amazing mini console. M2 put much care and it shows.

Naked Lunch

I want this bad but I cant get over Legendary Axe isnt on there.
I recently played thru Soldier Blade elsewhere and im convinced its easily one of the best games of all time. Rondo being on there is amazing too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom