• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami announces TurboGrafx16 Mini, PC Engine Mini, and Engine Core Grafx Mini

KOMANI

KOMANI
Pc engine has my favorite version of Snatcher...if they can make the music not sound thin.

Last edited:

OldGamer

Personally, I'd buy it just to play Ys I&II with the original OST, which alone puts it above the Chronicles rerelease

Not IF they release it with vocalizations that never left Japan this will be a must buy.

I have sent a message to Konami UK and Konami (general), to put Magical Chase and Space Fantasy Zone on the system and even mentioned SEGA in the message to give them a heads up.

Last edited:
Pc engine has my favorite version of Snatcher...if they can make the music bot sound thin.

As I said before, I really want to see the CD-ROMantic (what a name) version in english. Even if the recorded audio dialog is still in Japanese with English sub titles, i'd be happy to take it. I think this is a good chance to bring this version to english audiences if they wanted to hire someone that could do a straight "word for word" translation of all the text. Kinda like Metal Gear Solid 2 style translation, as opposed to the Metal Gear Solid 1 Jeremy Blaustein localization.

I love the Sega CD version, it is a fantastic "enhanced port" of the PCE CD-ROM version. I still have my original copy of Snatcher for the Sega CD. But, I have always been currious about the PCE CD-ROM version. I think this would be a cherry on the top for the western market (Along with Rondo, make it a double bonus :p) , if they added it as a bonus for PCE games that we didn't get. It would be great for both the UK and NA releases.

And I do like that they are making different versions of the PCE for the NA and UK markets. That is something that Sega cheapened out on a bit.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
As I said before, I really want to see the CD-ROMantic (what a name) version in english. Even if the recorded audio dialog is still in Japanese with English sub titles, i'd be happy to take it. I think this is a good chance to bring this version to english audiences if they wanted to hire someone that could do a straight "word for word" translation of all the text. Kinda like Metal Gear Solid 2 style translation, as opposed to the Metal Gear Solid 1 Jeremy Blaustein localization.

I love the Sega CD version, it is a fantastic "enhanced port" of the PCE CD-ROM version. I still have my original copy of Snatcher for the Sega CD. But, I have always been currious about the PCE CD-ROM version. I think this would be a cherry on the top for the western market (Along with Rondo, make it a double bonus :p) , if they added it as a bonus for PCE games that we didn't get. It would be great for both the UK and NA releases.

And I do like that they are making different versions of the PCE for the NA and UK markets. That is something that Sega cheapened out on a bit.
To be fair, mgs2 isn’t 1:1 either. Mgs4 is 1:1.

To be fair, mgs2 isn’t 1:1 either. Mgs4 is 1:1.

OK, that is true. More like an MGS4 1:1 translation. If Konami/ M2 ever did this, they would have to go for a 1:1 translation just for time constraints anyway.

Though, I think Snatcher in the Japanese region would probably be mildly censored for Jean-Jack Gibson's 16 year old daughter, who gets ogled at by a 30 year old man while she is naked in the shower. That scene was edited (along with her age - the character became 18 in all later versions) for the Sega CD and later Saturn/ PS1 ports anyway. That is probably the only real offender that I can think of.

The rest of the blood and gore could probably stay in. If Konami includes Splatter House in this collection, then this should not be a problem.

And a bit of an off-topic side note. I always thought it was amusing that Snatcher for the Sega CD was rated T for TEEN.

snatcher.png

Sure it is...

snatcher.jpg

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
OK, that is true. More like an MGS4 1:1 translation. If Konami/ M2 ever did this, they would have to go for a 1:1 translation just for time constraints anyway.

Though, I think Snatcher in the Japanese region would probably be mildly censored for Jean-Jack Gibson's 16 year old daughter, who gets ogled at by a 30 year old man while she is naked in the shower. That scene was edited (along with her age - the character became 18 in all later versions) for the Sega CD and later Saturn/ PS1 ports anyway. That is probably the only real offender that I can think of.

The rest of the blood and gore could probably stay in. If Konami includes Splatter House in this collection, then this should not be a problem.

And a bit of an off-topic side note. I always thought it was amusing that Snatcher for the Sega CD was rated T for TEEN.

snatcher.png

Sure it is...

snatcher.jpg
Why are you opposed to the Blaustein supervised translation? I’m asking out of curiosity not antagonizing you.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The Japanese audience has spoken:

Wonder if they'll inquire what we want in the West as well, or if they'll just go by social media and YouTube commentaries.

One thing is for certain though; most people want Castlevania: Rondo of Blood. What a surprise! :unsure:

My only hesitation with this list is...

Only 20? I know it's just a survey and it has no true bearing on the final size of the list, but...

Why are you opposed to the Blaustein supervised translation? I’m asking out of curiosity not antagonizing you.

Blaustein did some of my favorite localizations including the Sega CD version of Snatcher and Metal Gear Solid on the PS1. I even liked his Phoenix Wright localizations. If Konami wanted to go in that direction, I would be all for it. But I feel like it might be too much work to re-do a lot of things, and in this case it might be better to have a translation closer to the original script.

M2 would have to do a lot of reworking, including re-recording Japanese dialog into english just to make it work. The English Sega CD/ Mega CD ports are pretty different from the PCE CD-ROM version. The whole third act was reworked for the english version.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
Blaustein did some of my favorite localizations includded the Sega CD version of Snatcher and Metal Gear Solid on the PS1. If Konami wanted to go in that direction, I would be all for it. But I feel like it might be too much work to re-do a lot of things, and in this case it might be better to have a translation closer to the original script.

M2 would have to do a lot of reworking, including re-recording Japanese dialog into english just to make it work. The English Sega CD/ Mega CD ports are pretty different from the PCE CD-ROM version. The whole third act was reworked for the english version.
That’s cause there was no third act for the msx and pc88 versions. Ironically enough, there was a conclusion for SD Snatcher. Kojima planned for a sequel but he says a lot of stuff.

That’s cause there was no third act for the msx and pc88 versions. Ironically enough, there was a conclusion for SD Snatcher. Kojima planned for a sequel but he says a lot of stuff.

That's true. But the Sega CD port was released two years after the PCE CD-ROM port. The Sega CD port was based on the PCE version and uses an extended version of the PCE ending, with many changes.

Hideo Kojima supervised on the PCE CD-ROM version directly. I think it was the first console game he ever worked on. Before that, he was only involved in the Japanese PC division of Konami, and making games for the PC88, PC98, and MSX computers.

The Sega CD port was done without Kojima's involvement at all, and was made exclusively for the english speaking regions. This version never got a Japanese release. Apparently, Hideo Kojima didn't even know about this version until someone showed it to him at an autograph signing event. he apparently flipped out because he was unaware that there was an english version of his game. Most of the changes made were a combination of choices made by Scott T Hards,Jeremy Blaustein and director Yoshinori Sasaki. the Sega CD version takes a lot of liberties of its own.

It is also worth noting that the Sega CD version was re-translated back to Japanese and used as the basis for the Sega Saturn and PS1 ports that were released in 1996. these versions were based on the Sega CD port with additional censorship. Hideo Kojima had nothing to do with these versions either. I think they were done by the same team that ported the Sega CD version (minus the english translators).

I would be happy with any localization of the PCE version in english. if they got Blaustein back and did their own localization, that would be really amazing. But if they went with the simpler 1:0.95 translation, I'd be OK with that too. I just look at it as how much time/ resources they are willing to invest, if they did translate this game.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
That's true. But the Sega CD port was released two years after the PCE CD-ROM port. The Sega CD port was based on the PCE version and uses an extended version of the PCE ending, with many changes.

Hideo Kojima supervised on the PCE CD-ROM version directly. I think it was the first console game he ever worked on. Before that, he was only involved in the Japanese PC division of Konami, and making games for the PC88, PC98, and MSX computers.

The Sega CD port was done without Kojima's involvement at all, and was made exclusively for the english speaking regions. This version never got a Japanese release. Apparently, Hideo Kojima didn't even know about this version until someone showed it to him at an autograph signing event. he apparently flipped out because he was unaware that there was an english version of his game. Most of the changes made were a combination of choices made by Scott T Hards,Jeremy Blaustein and director Yoshinori Sasaki. the Sega CD version takes a lot of liberties of its own.

It is also worth noting that the Sega CD version was re-translated back to Japanese and used as the basis for the Sega Saturn and PS1 ports that were released in 1996. these versions were based on the Sega CD port with additional censorship. Hideo Kojima had nothing to do with these versions either. I think they were done by the same team that ported the Sega CD version (minus the english translators).
I wouldnt say he had nothing to do with them. He argued for more jiggling titties when Yoshida wanted to limit the amount of jiggling titties. Jiggling titties.

I wouldnt say he had nothing to do with them. He argued for more jiggling titties when Yoshida wanted to limit the amount of jiggling titties. Jiggling titties.

Do you mean the 32bit ports? Or the Sega CD port as well? If so, that is interesting. That is also pretty funny.

Only 20? I know it's just a survey and it has no true bearing on the final size of the list, but...

I'm curious what's outside of these 20 titles also. There's also chance we'll see titles outside of them too. All depends on what Konami sees as valuable and reasonable.

The PS port. The Sega games generally are less censored. The playstation copy is more censored than the Saturn version.

Ah. I could see that. I would imagine that Hideo was working on either the Policenauts Saturn and PS1 ports, or he was starting development on Metal Gear Solid.

And yeah, the Saturn port does have less censorship. Though from what I understand the PS1 port does have a better audio output and has mouse support. But it is rarer to come by.

I think Konami want to fill the other slots in with their own stuff such as Castlevania, Bomberman, Bonk and hopefully, Sapphire.

I can see Cosmic Fantasy 2 (and maybe 3 if Victor Ireland lets them) getting in for the West as well.

theclaw135

Banned

The third act is rather linear, and the game ends before you attempt to infilrate the snatcher factory.

I wonder what Features Konami wants in the Mini?

Will they copy SEGA and have them in different orders plus screenshots/wallpapers?

Will it have a custom menu theme?

Will the menu select sound effects be from Bomberman and Bonk?

Bar81

YES YES YES!

Magical Chase, Legend of Valkyrie and Snatcher!

Bring them West too Konami!

Damn...Coyroon too? This thing will likely be a Gems Mini moreso than the Mega Drive.

Let's pump the breaks on the delusion. There's a lot of work to go before this thing even gets in the ballpark of the MD Mini. Ignoring the huge question as to how accurate the implementation/emulation will be, there's a host of games that need to be on there for the PCE Mini besides those listed so far and in the 20 (assuming Konami actually includes the top 20) just to even be mentioned in the same sentence as the MD Mini:

Cotton
Devil Crash
Double Dragon II
Gradius II
Kaze Kiri
Spriggan (not shitty mk2)
Ninja Spirit
Gunhed
R-Type
Legendary Axe

And if they want to go epic:
Nexzr
Cadash
Splatterhouse
Sylphia
Sapphire
Tatsujin

Last edited:
Let's pump the breaks on the delusion. There's a lot of work to go before this thing even gets in the ballpark of the MD Mini. Ignoring the huge question as to how accurate the implementation/emulation will be,

M2's doing the emulation for this collection. Same group that is doing the emulation for the Genesis Mini. I'm sure the PCE emulation will be every bit as good. Also, M2 doesn't use straight emulation. They partially reprogram these games to run nattily on whatever hardware this machine will be using. It is like partial emulation.

Last edited:

Bar81

M2's doing the emulation for this collection. Same group that is doing the emulation for the Genesis Mini. I'm sure the PCE emulation will be every bit as good. Also, M2 doesn't use straight emulation. They partially `reprogram these games to run nattily on whatever hardware this machine will be using. It is like partial emulation.

Nice. So it's just a question of the games now. Let's hope they come through

Let's pump the breaks on the delusion. There's a lot of work to go before this thing even gets in the ballpark of the MD Mini. Ignoring the huge question as to how accurate the implementation/emulation will be, there's a host of games that need to be on there for the PCE Mini besides those listed so far and in the 20 (assuming Konami actually includes the top 20) just to even be mentioned in the same sentence as the MD Mini:

Cotton
Devil Crash
Double Dragon II
Gradius II
Kaze Kiri
Spriggan (not shitty mk2)
Ninja Spirit
Gunhed
R-Type
Legendary Axe

And if they want to go epic:
Nexzr
Cadash
Splatterhouse
Sylphia
Sapphire
Tatsujin

Cotton is the glaring omission on the Mega Drive Mini that did disappoint me. It is the one game I want to play on it but ah well.

Someone mentioned somewhere online that Sapphire is seen in that Trailer as one of the images used as well as Lords of Thunder, so I think that they are in.

I can gather that R-Type, Bonk, Bomberman and Castlevania are shoe ins as Konami own the latter 3 and I think they probably own the rights to the PCE port of R-Type from IREM. Gradius and Splatterhouse are likely going to be in due to the popularity of them over here.

Devil's Crush is on the Japanese side but I can see it coming to the West as well

Ninja Spirit is already announced on the Western side.

I think this could potentially be the best Mini if Konami actually listen to all of their fans and not just the Japanese fans (since SEGA didn't do this hence the below comment I made), they have all the games in a Vault I believe to make it happen and make it really amazing (and M2 are likely doing it)

The Mega Drive Mini, whilst it had a lot of good choices, it has a few duds in it as well (it's mentioned in the thread). Alex Kidd, Sonic Spinball, VF2 and probably another game could have been taken out for Cotton/Pulseman/Rocket Knight/Mutant League Football or Hockey.

Bar81

Unless Konami are planning on making 50%+ of the TG16 Mini games, games that never came out in the US, the JP PCE Mini is going to be the one to get.

The MD Mini had some misses but Cotton wasn't one of them. There were way more obscure (and fantastic) JP exclusives that should have made it if we're going down that route - Eliminate Down, Gleylancer, Twinkle Tale, Battle Mania 2 and Undeadline. The real low hanging fruit misses (ignoring Musha in the US) though were not having Elemental Master, Aladdin and one of the Splatterhouse games.

Last edited:
Unless Konami are planning on making 50%+ of the TG16 Mini games, games that never came out in the US

I don't expect it to be 50% , but I do hope that they put in a few Japanese exclusive games that are on most TG16 fan's want lists. The TG-16 really had such a short life in North America that so many of the best games for the console never made it out stateside.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I hope someone releases an English patch for Jaseiken Necromancer

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
So who do we ask to bring Snatcher over in English for the NA version?

Why isn’t that obvious to them that we want it? Why would you put together such a limited piece of gaming history and ignore it?

It makes me feel like they’ll miss the potential of this. I’ve had to watch YouTube videos of GameSack and HappyConsoleGamer showcase Turbo Grafx-16 game(s) for years now. Snatcher would be perfect for the NA list?

Who puts out a list for the Japanese game(s) in English (no less) and ignores the fact that it would be perfect for those (like us) who want an affordable (legit) version? It makes no sense whatsoever.

It’s like the people who thought we all wanted Coolboarders, Rainbow Six, and Jump Flash on our PS Classic. It’s like they shopped in a completely different game store their entire lives. Completely oblivious to what was actually released.

Last edited:
So who do we ask to bring Snatcher over in English for the NA version?

Why isn’t that obvious to them that we want it? Why would you put together such a limited piece of gaming history and ignore it?

It doesn't even have a fan translation, as far as I know. And yeah, as I said in older posts, it is quite a bit different from the Sega CD version in many ways. So the Sega/ Mega CD translation doesn't really work with this version. It is a shame that they are including this one with no english translation.

Even though, I am pretty sure that this release of Snatcher will have a few edits of its own from the original PCE CDROM release. Just a few minor things like company names in some background shots. No idea if they will be censoring anything, though.

I have never owned a TG-16 or PC Engine, myself. So this collection does interest me. It looks like a solid line up of 52 games, and Snatcher is definitely one of the "must have's" in the collection. It is easy for Konami to include as well. It's a shame that Snatcher PCE will not be playable in english. A bit of a missed opportunity.

Animagic

Banned
After seeing how the other mini systems have been cracked after release, I’m reasonably confident that people will have English patches figured out and easily loadable after launch.
I preordered this thing on Amazon ages ago.

Reactions: Isa

KOMANI

KOMANI
Shame the video went private overnight. It was a featurette showcasing all the games and a little bio to go along with each game.

Animagic

Banned
I’m on the fence about getting a multi tap and extra controllers. How many times am I going to have multiple people over that also want to play my old ass retro games with me?

probably a couple times max

Wait, I thought this got delayed indefinitely?
Konami was able able to produce & fill the Japanese PCE Mini pre-orders made through Amazon.co.jp (there also seems to be units still available on the site); the production of further PCE Minis and all the international units were indefinitely delayed.

The production issues, however, did seem to affect the Japanese accessories, like the turbo pad and turbo tap, which at least on Amazon.co.jp won't be available until 4/30.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

No wonder this would have its work cut out to be successful in Europe, seeing as nearly 30 years ago, it was near enough un-heard of this side of the globe...

Top Bottom