• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima is in talks with Xbox to publish his next game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look I get it that it’s business and all that counts in the end is the money, but honestly I cannot see Kojima agreeing to any exclusivity deal with Microsoft. Japanese gamers don’t own a XBOX, you can see the numbers of consoles shipped to Japan and it didn’t change with XBox Series X/S. Making an exclusive game for Microsoft would piss of nearly all Japanese console players and they would start to hate him. I live already over 10 years in Japan and your public face and honor is among the most important thing for Japanese. So as a Japanese person who also stated his love for his PlayStation fan base and is thankful to Sony for everything I cannot really seeing him agreeing to any kind of deal. Sure money is the best motivator but he knows what that would mean for his public face in Japan.

Elias

Yes... people who sold their PCs... on which you could play Doom, Quake, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, etc. for years and years... have sold their PCs.... and rebought them at twice the price....

This definitely happened in real life.

Feel like these console wars are genuinely driving people insane.
the joke went right over your head.

Kazza

Look I get it that it’s business and all that counts in the end is the money, but honestly I cannot see Kojima agreeing to any exclusivity deal with Microsoft. Japanese gamers don’t own a XBOX, you can see the numbers of consoles shipped to Japan and it didn’t change with XBox Series X/S. Making an exclusive game for Microsoft would piss of nearly all Japanese console players and they would start to hate him. I live already over 10 years in Japan and your public face and honor is among the most important thing for Japanese. So as a Japanese person who also stated his love for his PlayStation fan base and is thankful to Sony for everything I cannot really seeing him agreeing to any kind of deal. Sure money is the best motivator but he knows what that would mean for his public face in Japan.

Yeah, I agree 100%! Kojima is about to shoot himself in the foot (assuming it is true)

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honour and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance. What this means is the Japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase this game for any system, nor will they purchase any of Kojima's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Kojima is about to alienate an entire market with this move. Kojima, publicly apologize and cancel this (rumoured) Xbox deal or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Calverz

Gears 5 was on Gamepass day 0, No. 1 on most played charts during launch week, and then.... After 4 weeks went to No. 40 on most played charts. Yeah, GamePass helped Gears 5. :/. And Gears 5 never leaved GamePass.
Of course it never left. Its a firsty party studio game.

No numbers then? Ok
Big enough numbers on Xbox to only be topped by Fortnite and COD. Spin it however you like. Square Enix by dropping their title into Game Pass it's getting loads more attention from Xbox gamers than what it would have without Game Pass. I sure as hell would have never played it, which would have been a shame since it's actually quite fucking good.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
He put Subsistence on Xbox. He came on the Xbox stage at e3 at least once.

post-S

Gonna buy a Xbox for the first time if this is true lol
Also gonna hold out on buying PS5 until at least a revision

Big enough numbers on Xbox to only be topped by Fortnite and COD. Spin it however you like. Square Enix by dropping their title into Game Pass it's getting loads more attention from Xbox gamers than what it would have without Game Pass. I sure as hell would have never played it, which would have been a shame since it's actually quite fucking good.
Ok so just to make sure...no numbers then. Ok.

Komatsu

Yeah, I agree 100%! Kojima is about to shoot himself in the foot (assuming it is true)

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honour and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance. What this means is the Japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase this game for any system, nor will they purchase any of Kojima's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Kojima is about to alienate an entire market with this move. Kojima, publicly apologize and cancel this (rumoured) Xbox deal or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Clap Reaction GIF

This copypasta is the gift that keeps on giving.

ZywyPL

Banned

It's cool and all, except that Japan doesn't give a fuck about Kojima, nor the home consoles to begin with. Realistically, MS or more specifically GP is his best bet, after DS no one else wants to fund his crazy visions anymore, he has some cool, unique ideas, but at the end of the day they have to bring money, review scores or YT/Instagram views won't pay people's salaries.

You're only looking at the most recent gen (which was rough for all Xbox fans regardless of the tepid interest in the Xbox brand in Japan), and also you're excluding every non-American gamer outside Japan who might buy an Xbox solely because of a Kojima game. Don't forget Japan was only a part of the PS4 being one of the best selling consoles ever. It's the PlayStation's global appeal that has kept it so successful. Having an exclusive game on Xbox would be pretty big for many people that typically avoid Microsoft. Lastly, if gamers in Japan are unwilling to buy an Xbox then all anyone can do is say best of luck, wave and move on.

twilo99

Well, they get it from Microsoft: "Microsoft and Sony announced a “strategic partnership” in May 2019, which will result in the PlayStation maker using Microsoft Azure data centres for cloud gaming and content streaming services."

oh, well then no problem..

He tricked Sony into funding his passion project. I bet the Xbox game will be more traditional in its gameplay whatever genre it ends up being. The Stadia rumor already pointed to it being a horror game.

:messenger_tears_of_joy: I genuinely believe this shit. He got Sony to fund the insane shit he wanted to do, and his next game will be more like what was expected of him.

saintjules

Timestamped. Nate The Hate says that supposedly the game Kojima is doing for Xbox was a project that was initially for Stadia.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
and with kojima love for hollywood type of thing you think he cares about the Japanese market? which among other things is only interested in the mobile/portable games/consoles?

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
Okay that rumor is meh!

how about the rumor of Microsoft in talks to buy Xbox?
Oh damn the glorious meltdowns people are going to have!

wait.... I am not doing this rumor thing right!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
:messenger_tears_of_joy: I genuinely believe this shit. He got Sony to fund the insane shit he wanted to do, and his next game will be more like what was expected of him.
I don’t think he tricked Sony at all. It was Andrew House’s leaving gift to an old friend.

I think Andrew thought, I am leaving Sony after 20 years my good friend has just made a new studio and needs support. I’m bouncing anyway let me help the guy out.

Withnail

It's not an exclusivity deal (which implies a deal between a publisher and a platform holder), it's just a straightforward publishing deal. Kojima is an independent developer and can't make a game without a publisher, for all we know he pitched it to multiplatform publishers and they said no. It's not about picking sides, the guy just wants to make games.

It's not an exclusivity deal (which implies a deal between a publisher and a platform holder), it's just a straightforward publishing deal. Kojima is an independent developer and can't make a game without a publisher, for all we know he pitched it to multiplatform publishers and they said no. It's not about picking sides, the guy just wants to make games.
It's Kojima, I cannot imagine many publishers saying "no" to him, especially not Sony. Sure it all comes down to the money, so Microsoft can make the best offer. Agreed, when it is a offer which you cannot resit, it's probably hard for him to say "no", but as a Japanese person who cares about his image in his home country, it's not that easy. Japanese gamers will not think like "I guess he didn't had any other choice, considering the offer", they will be furious at him instead. So from a business perspective I get it, but it would surely turn the japanese gaming community against him and I am not sure that he wants that, unless he has plans to permanently relocate outside of Japan.

Wow. Are we remaking posts or is this a remaster?

It's Kojima, I cannot imagine many publishers saying "no" to him, especially not Sony. Sure it all comes down to the money, so Microsoft can make the best offer. Agreed, when it is a offer which you cannot resit, it's probably hard for him to say "no", but as a Japanese person who cares about his image in his home country, it's not that easy. Japanese gamers will not think like "I guess he didn't had any other choice, considering the offer", they will be furious at him instead. So from a business perspective I get it, but it would surely turn the japanese gaming community against him and I am not sure that he wants that, unless he has plans to permanently relocate outside of Japan.

Unless SONY told him to fuck off with his next game request. I personally enjoyed DS but it wasn't for everyone and the Kojima name isn't as big anymore as it was in the mid 2000s. He is just slowly but surely becoming a meme like that Ninja Gaiden guy that never takes his sunglasses off. Just too full of himself but the industry moved on.

JLB

Banned
Unless SONY told him to fuck off with his next game request. I personally enjoyed DS but it wasn't for everyone and the Kojima name isn't as big anymore as it was in the mid 2000s. He is just slowly but surely becoming a meme like that Ninja Gaiden guy that never takes his sunglasses off. Just too full of himself but the industry moved on.

So now Kojima is becoming a meme.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I wonder if this may turn out to be a situation like Sunset Overdrive.

Insomniac Games was as close to Sony as any studio could, but they developed an exclusive game for Microsoft, published by XGS, Sunset Overdrive. That game tanked, and Insomniac realized the reach and market share of PlayStation and the importance of long-term fans. They never worked with MS again, and even ended up being acquired by Sony after stating multiple times that they want to stay independent.

Either way, good luck to Kojima, and I hope he makes a wonderful game -- regardless for whomever he makes it.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Sakaguchi seems to be doing just fine in Japan despite his deals with MS that brought us Lost Odyseey and Blue Dragon.

Like any other artist Kojima is just looking for someone who is funding him to do his art - and if Sony isn't doing this any more (Death Stranding didn't seem like it was the success it was supposed to be) he prolly won't think twice to make a deal with Microsoft if they will.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I wonder if this may turn out to be a situation like Sunset Overdrive.

Insomniac Games was as close to Sony as any studio could, but they developed an exclusive game for Microsoft, published by XGS, Sunset Overdrive. That game tanked, and Insomniac realized the reach and market share of PlayStation and the importance of long-term fans. They never worked with MS again, and even ended up being acquired by Sony after stating multiple times that they want to stay independent.

Either way, good luck to Kojima, and I hope he makes a wonderful game -- regardless for whomever he makes it.
Lets get a little context here. Sunset overdrive, one of the best playing games of last gen came out on a console where good games didn't matter to the the online forum. People pointed fingers at it and said "lol 900p at 30 fps, what a piece of shit" they pitched the game to Sony first but Sony wanted to own it. They went with ms because ms were tge only company that would allow them to keep the IP. Something that will hopefully allow is to see a sequel at some point.

the whole narrative around sunset overdrive was its resolution, not how good it was and it couldn't shake it, 900p. I was online at the time and a huge insomniac fan. Fanboys were insufferable around that shit.

One of insomniacs best games and I can't wait for a sequel ( if it gets greenlit)

Sunset was good but was very divisive. A lot of people couldn’t get past the voice acting and super edge lord characters. That said, the “reach of PlayStation users” and “dedicated fan base” didn’t stop Song of the Deep from bombing.

Turns out if you make a video game based on one of the most popular comic book heroes of all time and it happens to not suck, it sells.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom