• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima is in talks with Xbox to publish his next game

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Xcloud servers run on xbox consoles...

Kojima said:
We’ll start seeing completly different games these next five years as 5G spreads. There’s one big thing I have in mind related to streaming as well. I can’t say anything more as I don’t want to spoil though (laughs)

He seemed to have bought into the hype that running a game from a server farm could advance gaming as a whole, so it's possible when his talks fell through with Google (heavily rumored) he went to Microsoft (and potentially Sony.)

Nothing stopping MS from making a cloud-only game.

Nyxir

Reminds me of this guy :

c2y9BgQ.jpg

Him and Jim Ryan are both Brits so....
Think Which One GIF
Divide and conquer

driqe

He seemed to have bought into the hype that running a game from a server farm could advance gaming as a whole, so it's possible when his talks fell through with Google (heavily rumored) he went to Microsoft (and potentially Sony.)

Nothing stopping MS from making a cloud-only game.
Cloud based meaning something like flight sim that uses azure tech, not a game exclusive to xcloud's xbox one streaming lol

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Cloud based meaning something like flight sim that uses azure tech, not a game exclusive to xcloud's xbox one streaming lol
That makes zero sense as that is not something that requires you stream a game from a server, and really.. makes no sense for a streaming game..

He appears to be talking about the BS Google goes on about the possibility of a cloud-native game leveraging server farms for simulations.

driqe

That makes zero sense as that is not something that requires you stream a game from a server, and really.. makes no sense for a streaming game..

He appears to be talking about the BS Google goes on about the possibility of a cloud-native game leveraging server farms for simulations.
Do you really think Microsoft will develop a game for xbox consoles, only to not make it available for xbox consoles?

Gears 5 was on Gamepass day 0, No. 1 on most played charts during launch week, and then.... After 4 weeks went to No. 40 on most played charts. Yeah, GamePass helped Gears 5. :/. And Gears 5 never leaved GamePass.

Gears 5, despite being an excellent game, had no backup and Xbox as a platform had no momentum. The lineup for Xbox is going to be night and day this time around, and the value of Game Pass has risen significantly since, particularly with the Bethesda deal. Toss in all the backup in the form of the hype and excitement of a brand new console being launched, and things will almost certainly be different this time around.

What's more, Outriders plays much better than Gears 5 does. The AI is amazing.

Xenon

I'm going to get so much more entertainment value out of people being upset by this than the actual game he makes.

😂😂😂

Gears 5, despite being an excellent game, had no backup and Xbox as a platform had no momentum. The lineup for Xbox is going to be night and day this time around, and the value of Game Pass has risen significantly since, particularly with the Bethesda deal. Toss in all the backup in the form of the hype and excitement of a brand new console being launched, and things will almost certainly be different this time around.

What's more, Outriders plays much better than Gears 5 does. The AI is amazing.

Gears 5 had no backup and momentum? LOL. Gears 5 was HEAVILY advertised and HYPED with Gamepass. Gamepass was more than 2 years old then. No need to spin it.

xShaun

I.. uh.. didn't really like Death Stranding too much. So I can't say I care about Kojima.

However, I do admit. This would be a huge deal for xbox and fans.

MonarchJT

Banned
That’s fine. Doesn’t change history of what Xbox gamers used to think of Kojima’s “interactive movies.” Or the shit talking they did for Death Stranding. Now we wait for them to act like they always loved Kojima-San.
I don't think anyone in the world has ever criticized MGS, unfortunately death stranding is another thing. It is certainly not appreciated by the mass

Last edited:

Three

I don't think anyone in the world has ever criticized MGS, unfortunately death stranding is another thing. It is certainly not appreciated by the mass
You are kidding me. Many people criticised MGS. MGS4 in particular, I don't need to tell you why. We even had to hold GAFs GOTY twice for it to win twice because people didn't want to accept the results. When Xbox didn't even have MGS "it was shit and splinter cell was better"

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
You are kidding me. Many people criticised MGS. MGS4 in particular, I don't need to tell you why. We even had to hold GAFs GOTY twice for it to win twice because people didn't want to accept the results.
One thing is clear fanboyism and another is the worldwide recognition of the qualities of kojima games. I don't like Death Stranding either

Greeno

Gears 5 had no backup and momentum? LOL. Gears 5 was HEAVILY advertised and HYPED with Gamepass. Gamepass was more than 2 years old then. No need to spin it.
Gears 5 was stupidly marketed, who at marketing thought it was a good idea advertising the escape mode at E3 instead of the campaign? And they didn't show the campaign until weeks before release.

Withnail

Really not sure why this seems so controversial. Developers need to work with publishers, that's not a moneyhat, it's just the way games get made. We don't know if Kojima pitched the project to multiple publishers or MS has been pursuing him but it doesn't make much difference in the end.

Why is there so much more discussion about this than Remedy possibly working on a project with Sony? It's pretty much the same situation but in reverse.

Three

Gears 5 was stupidly marketed, who at marketing thought it was a good idea advertising the escape mode at E3 instead of the campaign? And they didn't show the campaign until weeks before release.
The people trying to sell Iron microtransactions and XP boosts.

You are kidding me. Many people criticised MGS. MGS4 in particular, I don't need to tell you why. We even had to hold GAFs GOTY twice for it to win twice because people didn't want to accept the results. When Xbox didn't even have MGS "it was shit and splinter cell was better"
Well it was probably down to the ridiculously long cutscenes. It was still a good game, Death Stranding IMO is not and I'd be happy if he went in a different direction for this new game regardless of platform.

Nevertheless, Gears 5 was heavily advertised across US on big billboards.

Gears%2B5%2Bvideo%2Bgame%2Bbillboard.jpg

Gears5_Sept-2019_London_OOH_11.png

Brofist

The sony guys that sold their PC's to whinge about not being able to play Doom, Quake, Fallout, Elder scrolls, Wolfenstein, Starfield, have now bought a new PC at double the price so they can say they don't need to buy an Xbox to play Kojimas next masterpiece. This week has been so good. Thanks Xbox!
Nah they are all playing armchair analyst now trying to work out whether a Sony Game Pass which they are all against yet simultaneously creaming their pants for will be viable for their favorite company.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Despite loving metal gear, i thought death stranding was a boring chore of a game. Maybe my iq isnt high enough to truly understand Kojima’s genius “auteur” mind. Ill go back to play call of duty or grand theft auto with the rest of the unwashed masses who are simply to stupid to understand why Hideo Kojima is a true genius, the prophet of our era. I have not yet ascended!

mortal

Gold Member
I own a Game Pass subscription, so I own whatever is in Game Pass. There are no cons to Game Pass for a gamer like me who understands and knows exactly what I'm getting
You literally don't though lol.
Unless I'm completely confused on the model here, you're paying a subscription fee which gives you access to a catalogue of titles.
Which can be a great value if you like to play a lot of games at a time, or even if you just want to try out some titles without needing pay full MSRP for them; which is made even better now that more and more new releases are available day one on Gamepass. That can be a great value for some gamers. Hell I'd argue it's a great value for gamers in general.

However it's simply not the same as owning an actual copy of a game.
I think services like Gamepass and PSNow are great supplements, but can't replace owning copies outright. Whether or not you think it's worth the value is up to you.
Speaking for myself, I'm not about to completely give up ownership for the sake of convenience.
Especially when there is always the chance that some titles get rotated and sometimes are removed indefinitely from a service or digital storefront.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
Nah they are all playing armchair analyst now trying to work out whether a Sony Game Pass which they are all against yet simultaneously creaming their pants for will be viable for their favorite company.
It's just like Ea access. Literally the devil when papa sony said it was bad for gamers, but an amazing and gracious decision to allow it when they finally caved

The sony guys that sold their PC's to whinge about not being able to play Doom, Quake, Fallout, Elder scrolls, Wolfenstein, Starfield, have now bought a new PC at double the price so they can say they don't need to buy an Xbox to play Kojimas next masterpiece. This week has been so good. Thanks Xbox!
Yes... people who sold their PCs... on which you could play Doom, Quake, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, etc. for years and years... have sold their PCs.... and rebought them at twice the price....

This definitely happened in real life.

Feel like these console wars are genuinely driving people insane.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom