• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Kojima] “Death Stranding 2 is not just a regular sequel”

It better be different because even though i finished the original twice, I dont think that lone world mechanic can work again with the same effect. If anything it should be more populated, since they supposedly connected all of America. And hopefully we see those people, not just avatars with an email account.

Here's a link to full podcast which kojima , Geoff and Norman talked about ds2

Jim Carrey No GIF by filmeditor

C Cheezewizz

I wouldn't say that. However gamepass is a good option for experimental titles which this one is. I actually think it's good that it will be on gamepass because without it the game might not be successful.

Although for my tastes DS2 seems to be the better option. Not because it's a PlayStation exclusive but because I really enjoyed the first one. Hopefully its available day one on PC unlike the first title.
You rang?

Alebrije

If DS2 is more MGS and less DHL delivering Iam in..

That phrase "maybe we do not need to be connected" or something like it could be a signal the game will be more action oriented.

A.Romero

There are many ways to innovate without going all "action and stealth" like 90% of AAA productions. People demand "next gen gameplay" (whatever that is) and then ask for same old same old.

We might build machines, go underwater, fly at high speed across Atlantic, work to "disconnect" the world, or connect to another plane of existance and travel back and forth, lots of things are possible.

Do you mean PC? Because this is PlayStation IP. Hopefully with it being Kojima PC release is also imminent) Regardless, it is definitely next gen-only game.

Yeah, I think we will see big difference in gameplay. Hopefully, as the first exists already and is a huge and replayable game.
Yeah, PC

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Kojima is always vague, even without the language barrier. Sometimes I think we take these little pieces of information as hyperbole, because they sound like hyperbole, and then completely toss them out, despite them being quite informative.

Anyway, my guess at what he means in this: They aren't going to be building off of the previous mechanics. That isn't their starting point, at least. Kojima is already talking about the theme being "Should we have connected?", so maybe we won't be building the world/path together in this one.

Yoboman

Yeah it started production early last year, thats when it was dated as “Ocean” on the leak.

Also, the original death stranding took 3 years to make, so i assume this one will be relatively similar, especially now that they have a foundation to wrok on

1664819446744899.png
That's XDEV work, so wouldn't really matter for preproduction. Look how late XDEV gets involved for Horizon VR and that is launching Feb

Yoboman

I hope they retain the delivery stuff, its the best part of Death Stranding. Also retain the community building

What they need to improve is

1) better combat
2) a better story
3) better combat
4) boss fights that are reminiscent of MGS at its best
5) much better menus. Never had such a headache getting through game menus

But if they strip away the deliveries for a more MGS like game I'm here for that too

kyliethicc

I doubt its going to be that mobile game. Its probably why it wasn't shown.
It is a game running on a PC cloud server streamed to any device like a phone.

He has had this idea for many years. Its why in the video he did for microsoft he said has been waiting on the technology. Its why he went to Google Stadia and Microsoft. They are interested in cloud streaming. This is his Overdose game idea. Its not going to be anything like Death Stranding or Metal Gear. Its much more experimental. This video was from 2019. He explains his long view of the future of games and streaming, and even says he will make films. And he just announced his film project. His idea for his cloud game is long documented and is what he's making for ms.

"I think within the next few years, gaming will move on to streaming. Movies, dramas, and games will all be streamed and you'll enjoy them on your iPad or iPhone or a screen anytime, anywhere. ... I'm very interested in the new format of game that will appear on there and that's what I want to take on." - Kojima

Timestamp is 22:25

And here he explains this cloud game is his microsoft project:

"Yes, there is a game I have always wanted to make. It's a completely new game, one that no one has ever experienced or seen before. I've waited very long for the day when I could finally start to create it. With Microsoft's cutting edge cloud technology and the change in the industry's trend, it has now become possible to challenge myself to make this never-before-seen concept. It may take some time..." - Kojima

He literally says it is.

Kojima didn't say that the Xbox cloud project is a QTE mobile game. The failed Stadia project probably isn't the same as what he's making for Xbox. Which is probably why it wasn't shown. Otherwise he would have shown something.

But seriously do you think a QTE mobile game is appropriate for a console?

It is a game running on a PC cloud server streamed to any device like a phone.

He has had this idea for many years. Its why in the video he did for microsoft he said has been waiting on the technology. Its why he went to Google Stadia and Microsoft. They are interested in cloud streaming. This is his Overdose game idea. Its not going to be anything like Death Stranding or Metal Gear. Its much more experimental. This video was from 2019. He explains his long view of the future of games and streaming, and even says he will make films. And he just announced his film project. His idea for his cloud game is long documented and is what he's making for ms.

"I think within the next few years, gaming will move on to streaming. Movies, dramas, and games will all be streamed and you'll enjoy them on your iPad or iPhone or a screen anytime, anywhere. ... I'm very interested in the new format of game that will appear on there and that's what I want to take on." - Kojima

Timestamp is 22:25

And here he explains this cloud game is his microsoft project:

"Yes, there is a game I have always wanted to make. It's a completely new game, one that no one has ever experienced or seen before. I've waited very long for the day when I could finally start to create it. With Microsoft's cutting edge cloud technology and the change in the industry's trend, it has now become possible to challenge myself to make this never-before-seen concept. It may take some time..." - Kojima

[/URL][/URL]

[/URL][/URL]

I seriously doubt its going to be a QTE mobile game. There's no way Kojima would do that for a console like the Series. I mean there has to be a reason why nothing was shown.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I seriously doubt its going to be a QTE mobile game. There's no way Kojima would do that for a console like the Series. I mean there has to be a reason why nothing was shown.
Its not being made for xbox consoles.

Its a cloud game people will play via game pass on any phone/tablet/PC/console/TV that can access game pass.

Its not being made for xbox consoles.

Its a cloud game people will play via game pass on any phone/tablet/PC/console/TV that can access game pass.

That sounds bad if true.

I was expecting more like an episodic PT type of game.

Well thankfully he's making DS2 in case the cloud project doesn't turn out well.

Last edited:

Barakov

I mean I'll probably buy it but I'm not buying it's not just a regular sequel. I'd be all for them just making a third person action game set in that world. The delivery gameplay was novel in the beginning but wore out its' welcome by the end.

ABnormal

I hope they retain the delivery stuff, its the best part of Death Stranding. Also retain the community building
That's very unlikely. It would not make sense, after the ending of the first one, and even less after the "Should we have connected?" hint. So, in addition to the world condition being different now, the focus and the goal will be probably completely different, and so gameplay too. The attention given to the flying ship and the hint of a "new journey" may imply that the ship itself will be part of the journey. Who knows what the codename "Ocean" was for.

ABnormal

What is a "regular" sequel though?

Are all game sequels so far "regular"?
It means a game that maintains the same gameplay formula and level building type, such any Call of Duty, GT, Forza, Gears of War, GoW, ecc.

It will be probably a game set in the same world, but radically different in terms of gameplay, compared to the first one.

It will be probably in third person (I hope so), but what the focus of gameplay will be is still completely unknown.

2025/26? Going to be a long wait but I trust Kojima. Just wish his out put was faster. Probably could cut some time down if he didnt have 80 minute cutscenes. Only gripe.

Corndog

Banned
Kojima didn't say that the Xbox cloud project is a QTE mobile game. The failed Stadia project probably isn't the same as what he's making for Xbox. Which is probably why it wasn't shown. Otherwise he would have shown something.

But seriously do you think a QTE mobile game is appropriate for a console?
So you didn’t read the article.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
What is a "regular" sequel though?

Are all game sequels so far "regular"?

Stays same genre, perspective etc.

Imagine if death stranding 2 was a racing simulator with a kojima plot.

Now THAT would not be a regular sequel lmao.

So you didn’t read the article.

I don't think yoy understand what I was saying. Plus I did read the article and know about Tom Hendeson seeing the leaked footage that I showed you.

What I'm saying is that the leaked footage isn't representative of the final product. Yes it can be overdose but will it be a QTE Mobile game fest that was leaked?

Probably not because Kojima is making changes to it so it would work on Xbox. Pretty sure it won't be the QTE mobile game that was shown. It should be much better than that.

Anyways if its anything like that we would have seen something from Kojima. Kojima didn't even give us a name or tell is what type of title it's going to be. There's has to be a reason for that instead of it just being a troll from him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom