• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Underwhelmed by the Graphics on God of War Ragnarock!

KAL2006

Banned
It makes sense why it looks more of the same they pumped out this one fast. Remember covid delayed the game. 4 years for a sequel releasing on both PS4/PS5. This will have manor asset reuse. The real next gen game from Santa Monica is Barlogs game which will be 2024 the earliest. Then they will make a next gen only God of War after that on 2025/2026 with a new mythology.

MrSec84

Nah it looks amazing, I really can't agree on this.
So far the character models and environments, overall enemy design looks stellar!
It's a huge step ahead of the last game, which already looked awesome and there's so much more going on in this game, with this game running much better to boot.

I'm crazy hyped for this.

I'll agree that the opening shot looked very much like the previous game on PS5 but it was inside a cave with heavy snow blocking most of what you'd have been able to see usually. Of course what you are able to see in that show clearly shows the increase in quality over the previous game and the light modelling is clearly improved here.
When they take it outside though the detail levels are well above anything that you'll find in the previous game, the rendering seems to be of a much higher quality than would have been possible previously, the village looks incredible and the rendering of the water by the village is gorgeous. Although it's difficult to say for certain at the moment it does give the appearance of being a far more open world too.

Hunnybun

Looks great to me. Maybe just some character models could look better. But the scenery looks gorgeous.

Yeah man, honestly this reaction is just fucking bizarre.

That scene where he's looking out on the vista below, that's THE most next gen scene I've seen yet.

I mean, yeah the *gameplay* looked the same as the reboot, but wtf were people expecting? It was always going to be more of the same from that point of view.

But the actual fidelity was superb, and miles better than lots of next gen only stuff we've had so far.

3liteDragon

I just watched the 4K upload and it looks way better than GoW (2018), facial models could use some more work. Retail version will definitely be more polished than this, I'm still really optimistic that we'll see a big leap in visuals by mid-gen with PS5-only titles. Gameplay and level design still looks PS4 but that was expected regardless.

Hyped for this next year.

Last edited:
I'm so happy I don't think like some people. The game looks visually unbelievable. So it looked possible on PS4, doesn't matter. The texture quality and geometry work looks so good and intricate, and we all know the game will be amazing. For people who already loved God of War, this will basically be more of the same with hopefully some interesting twists, but this game looks fantastic.

MrFunSocks

Banned
It's a 2013 hardware game, that's why.

Not sure why this is so hard for people to keep their expectations in check. The same thing happened/still happens with Halo infinite - it's a Xbox One game, just like this is a PS4 game, so of course it's going to not be some showcase of next gen technology because it's not.

Trunim

Yeah, it could've been way nicer. But, it is what it is, and the PS4 folks need to play this too, I guess. At least we'll probably get 4k/60 ...

Imtjnotu

Yeah, cool PS4 game.
GoW 2018 DLC.
stfu GIF

Haggard

Banned
I think they all originally started as PS5 only, so that's not too surprising. I think the hardware shortages have played into the decision to make PS4 versions, as they don't need these games to help sell PS5s.
That's not how game design, or software design in general, works.
The fundamentals are what comes first and if those work on PS4 then they were designed for it, lest you want to reboot your projects and bleed money. Upscaling is rarely an issue, downscaling is.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Looked absolutely stunning. Got this warm and fuzzy feeling when I saw the trailer. Can't wait for this sequel. Holy shit I'm pumped.

While the full town was cool, starting the trailer with some of the exact same enemies as the first game felt like a mistake.

Looks cool, though.

iHaunter

Why? It was designed to be cross-gen. The new one that's no longer NORSE will be on an updated engine. Think about it from Sony's POV. They have 110+ Million PS4s. Horizon + GoWR are going to make billions and still look/play decent. They have other studios making some next-gen games. Some studios making cross-gen games. It's pretty well thought-out and balanced IMHO.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I am not shitting on the game. The Game looks good but lets face it. Some of you are such blind fanboys santa montica could take a shit in a box and some of you would love it.

I was expecting a true evolution of graphics. It's a slight mediocre upgrade. To people saying "it's the best looking game ever" or "holy shit it looks amazing" I got to ask if you share traits with this guy

A-30552-1451559463-6497.jpeg.jpg

Papacheeks

Banned
It makes sense why it looks more of the same they pumped out this one fast. Remember covid delayed the game. 4 years for a sequel releasing on both PS4/PS5. This will have manor asset reuse. The real next gen game from Santa Monica is Barlogs game which will be 2024 the earliest. Then they will make a next gen only God of War after that on 2025/2026 with a new mythology.

From my understanding it's a sci-fi title.

noise36

A prettier version of the last game, what more do you want?

The ps5-SSDSPECIALSAUCE-hype train has ruined some peoples expectations.

Nextgen doesnt make shit games better, but it does make fun games prettier.

Last edited:

JimRyanGOAT

Tell me what you expected them to do? Especially when they just already remade the whole game play system compared to GOW 1,2 & 3.

All the other God of War games had the same game play mechanics including ascension.

Why you looking for a drastic change so early? Especially since it's still fresh being only the second game using the engine.

A true generational leap tbh

This to me seems like a game that had a majority of its development done on PS4, and releasing on PS5 was a last-minute decision. Probably why the game was delayed in the first place.

jakdex

I thought at first that they would reveal it was a DLC Expansion or something, them the trailer ended...

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I call bullshit on every poster in this thread saying God of War looks like last gen because it's cross gen.

Ahem, Horizon Forbidden West looks much better than it's older version.

A much better argument is that these idiots at Sony decided to show the PS4 version of the game for it's debut.

Somebody needs to be fired. NOW.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
It does look underwhelming grpahically, and this is why people who see no problem with cross gen piss me the fuck off.

Im sure it will look incredible when playing on an OLED, though, so I am still hyped as hell.

I just wanted another WOOOW moment. Horizon looks much better.

I bet the New IP Cory is working on will be what the A-Team is working on, also PS5 excluwive, and thats where the WOW will come in.

Still GOTY though.

Last edited:

Vaelka

Does Kratos actually get cold or not or why is he wearing furs now lol?
I just find it funny how you've got Kratos and Baldur being two shirtless dudes fighting in the snow, if they were women people would've flipped the hell out even with '' cold resistant '' female characters people still complain about it.

Saaleh

Banned
Raganrok is designed around the base ps4. we all knew that for months, suddenly a lot of people here acting so shocked and annoyed. Most of us agree, DEATH TO CROSS GEN. But this reaction is not valid, you should of tempered your expectations before the show. You had a year to express your disappointment and anger for crossgen. I'm already numb about crossgen. If you are still angry you can express it in a logical way not emotional way, most of the negative reaction today is pointless.

Ragnarok doesn't look next gen but it also doesn't look last gen, it is crossgen, something in between. At this point, downplaying it or expecting too much is just silly . Same with horizon 2. If you had a realistic expectations, you would of felt satisfied because this will be a quality cross gen game. I can understand if it is not your taste but in the end we will get heavy hitters.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Nothing really blew my mind in the Event.
But those 4k trailers did change my opinion.
Even Alan Wake looks good in 4K and I thought it looked like the 360 version in the Showcase
17bcd019fec-vqc9bodwx8eki6.jpg

Last edited:

Loxus

I am not shitting on the game. The Game looks good but lets face it. Some of you are such blind fanboys santa montica could take a shit in a box and some of you would love it.

I was expecting a true evolution of graphics. It's a slight mediocre upgrade. To people saying "it's the best looking game ever" or "holy shit it looks amazing" I got to ask if you share traits with this guy

A-30552-1451559463-6497.jpeg.jpg
Can you show me a game in the same genre as GoW Ragnarok that looks better?

In fact can you show me a game running on consoles that looks better?

Did you even watch it in 4k? Game looks amazing for a cross-gen game. Nobody knows what next-gen is supposed to look like.

I bet you was calling Halo Infinite next-gen though.

Last edited:
Looks more than good enough.

Yea, I personally didn't think it looked all that great... then I saw the direct feed. It's always rose tinted glasses when you looked back in your mind. I mean, the first one looked freaking great, but this one trumps it. I think ppl are just being over critical, you won't sploosh you pants every time. Visuals are upgraded, fps is 60, continuation of a great story, game play should be similar if not better... it'll probably turn out to be a pretty decent game lol

John Wick

I love God of War on the PLaystaiton 4. One of the best games made period! Infact I replayed it 2 months ago on my PS5.

The issue I have with the Trailer today is it did not wow me. In fact, it looks exactly like God of War on the ps4 pro. I was expecting graphics that dazzled me and really showed an evolotuion of the game but didn't see any of that in the trailer shown today. I know the game isn't finished and they didn't show much but it's unusual for a game to look dramatically different from it's initial game play reveal. I will no doubt be buying the game day 1 but kinda depressed the game doesnt look like a huge leap forward graphically.
II was just waiting for a thread like this to pop up. Typical "game doesn't look impressive" even though it's in development and nowhere near finished. It's the final 6 months when the game gets polished.

Top Bottom