• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall (PS4) announced, launch title [1080p/30fps]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seriously consider them some of the best programmers in the industry. Seems like they're a software R&D division that happens to make games.

You'd be right actually.

They literally have a team who's SOLE purpose was to tap the power of the PS3 and distribute what they find amongst Sony's first Party devs.

Hell, if I remember correctly, that team didn't even directly work on Uncharted or TLoU. They were simply given a job of "tap into the power of the cell" and bam, that's all they did.

thuway

They absolutely will. The faces and animation were worse than KZ3 so there's no way those won't improve, especially with the extra RAM.

The main issue you face here is development time. This game will be a hack job that is pasted together similar to Resistance 1. It will give you a taste, but the full monty won't come for a few years.

The main issue you face here is development time. This game will be a hack job that is pasted together similar to Resistance 1. It will give you a taste, but the full monty won't come for a few years.
The SP is finished and completely playable, they have time.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Well, since Resistance 1 was the best of the series....

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Just an aside: Guerilla Games stopped full-on production on Killzone 3 in October 2010. That was 4-5 months before their February 22nd release.

That studio must have worked on something in those months. KZ:SF seems fine if you only look at the project schedule they revealed at SIGGRAPH 2011.

thuway

I am not being pessimistic, but I want you to understand the gravitas of the situation. Guerilla is making a launch title on a new platform. Not only were specs unfinalized, but they were constantly trying to get the game running on a devkit that is still not final. Things can still as of yet change. Launch titles always have the issue of being shots in the dark.

IcyEyes

I'm an huge fan of GG and i totally love the Killzone series, got a platinum in both K2 and K3 :D

I can't really wait to play the single player of shadow fall and I can't wait to play the MP !
I still play K2 and K3 multiplayer (my favorite FPS multiplayer ever (well, ok, with Battlefield too)).

Personally, I'm not expecting much given it's a launch title. KZ2 came about 3 years after the launch of PS3 and so they a lot of time gathering experience and iterating on their engine before it was put out. As we both know, SF doesn't feature tessellation. So things like that and the part about exploiting compute functions for physics related tasks are things we ought to expect from their next title. I'd be pleasantly surprised if they can pull it somewhat pull it off for SF
how do we know SF is not using tessellation?

You'd be right actually.

They literally have a team who's SOLE purpose was to tap the power of the PS3 and distribute what they find amongst Sony's first Party devs.

Hell, if I remember correctly, that team didn't even directly work on Uncharted or TLoU. They were simply given a job of "tap into the power of the cell" and bam, that's all they did.

Yeah, the ICE team. Mark Cerny was one of the leads in that group. They're pretty much legendary in my eyes.

I'm really hoping they have 32 players again in MP, 24 players in KZ3 just didn't have the same battle chaos and intensity. 64 would be great if they had big maps, like MAG/BF3 big, plus mechs but the game doesn't seem to lend itself to those sort of environments and I'm guessing traversal and verticality will play a big part.

I would love to see them make an open world RPG, that would be awesome!

They are not really hiding that they are working on a new IP (and it has been rumoured to be an RPG):

ggnewip.jpg

Just an aside: Guerilla Games stopped full-on production on Killzone 3 in October 2010. That was 4-5 months before their February 22nd release.

That studio must have worked on something in those months. KZ:SF seems fine if you only look at the project schedule they revealed at SIGGRAPH 2011.
I didn't realise that, and I may have overlooked that they may move people over to their new IP when they've done their bit on SF.

Too lazy to google, but is the ICE team still around? Sounds like something Sony should keep around.

They should, but then again, considering how ridiculously easy the PS4 is to code for, they might could use their talents elsewhere.

Then again, who knows, they might discover some trick that many developers haven't thought of yet.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

They did frontload the level design so that they can work on visuals, AI, and animation once final dev kits are in and the game will have had 6+ months more dev time than KZ3. I have hope.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I thoroughly enjoyed the Killzone 2 campaign, but i never played multiplayer. i just kept replaying the campaign on harder difficulty. I never played 3 at all.

- Developers can choose which resources they want to use
- GG chose to have 30FPS at 1080p
- They still like 3D, wont confirm if Killzone Shadow Fall will support it

If they only manage to get 30FPS at 1080p resolution there would be sacrifice in graphics quality necessary to get 3D if they don't want to lower FPS. Only a resolution drop to 720p would not set enough power free.

I would like to play in 720p at 60 FPS without 3D. But it seems Sony thinks Full-HD is necessary for their promotion.

If they only manage to get 30FPS at 1080p resolution there would be sacrifice in graphics quality necessary to get 3D if they don't want to lower FPS. Only a resolution drop to 720p would not set enough power free.

I would like to play in 720p at 60 FPS without 3D. But it seems Sony thinks Full-HD is necessary for their promotion.

1080p is 2.25 times the amount of pixels of 720p. For 3D you need about 2 times the amount of pixels compared to 2D. So a drop to 720p should be sufficient.

Gemüsepizza;60741885 said:
1080p is 2.25 times the amount of pixels of 720p. For 3D you need about 2 times the amount of pixels compared to 2D. So a drop to 720p should be sufficient.

Takes a lot more than just rendering at a lower resolution to free up enough resources for 3d in general. You essentially have to run your renderer twice as fast due to having to set up your geometry and lighting twice per frame.

jett

D-Member
Gemüsepizza;60741885 said:

Just dropping resolution hardly guarantee a framerate increases of that magnitude.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yea, I was going to list that as well. Thanks.

Both you and RoboPlato have mentioned this and I am wondering where its usage has been mentioned.
It's mentioned briefly in a slide notation (not on the slide itself) and it's pretty obvious when looking at fingers, helmets, and rubble.

Do we know which variation of "edge tessellation" they are using?
The one thing i disliked about their tech presentation was that graphical features were mentioned without using their standardized names. I can only assume they mean tessellation to fix silhouette problems.
Are they using a PN triangles technique or phong tessellation? Or something else?

I am curious

i-Lo

It's mentioned briefly in a slide notation (not on the slide itself) and it's pretty obvious when looking at fingers, helmets, and rubble.

Ah I see. And pertaining to looking at the fingers, well when they pour 40K poly that's to be expected. Looking at the (matrix) mesh, isn't edge tessellation supposed to work like silhouette tessellation where the system calculates what outlines the camera (player) is seeing from the given angle and boost the poly count are the perimeter of object instead of the whole object itself?

It's just hard to tell from here given it looks like the entirety of all the fingers received a big boost.

kz1wae3i.png

Edit:

This is how the sniper looked in KZ3 in the game engine-

killzone3_7mputv.png

Thuway i think we are underestimating the power/architecture of the ps4. This isn't a ps3 where the cell was a foreign architecture and a pain to work with, they literally got the code up and running almost immediately. I'm hoping to be surprised come e3.

Perkel

Banned

Resistance 1 a hack job ?

Excuse me but Resistance 1 was perfect 60FPS@native720p and delivered split screen coop for full campain. Also one of the best MP game this gen.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Do we know which variation of "edge tessellation" they are using?
The one thing i disliked about their tech presentation was that graphical features were mentioned without using their standardized names. I can only assume they mean tessellation to fix silhouette problems.
Are they using a PN triangles technique or phong tessellation? Or something else?

I am curious
They mentioned in passing that they were using it, no specifics yet.

Ah I see. And pertaining to looking at the fingers, well when they pour 40K poly that's to be expected. Looking at the (matrix) mesh, isn't edge tessellation supposed to work like silhouette tessellation where the system calculates what outlines the camera (player) is seeing from the given angle and boost the poly count are the perimeter of object instead of the whole object itself?

It's just hard to tell from here given it looks like the entirety of all the fingers received a big boost.

kz1wae3i.png

Edit:

This is how the sniper looked in KZ3 in the game engine-

killzone3_7mputv.png
I think they're probably using it sparingly on certain objects. Stuff like fingers, helmets, gun barrels, and rubble will have it but not everything. I don't know much about the low level work that tessellation does, just the end result and you can clearly see it spots.

The way the bricks are molded here has the tell tale signs of tessellation.

It's funny how people see this and still say that KZ:SF looks like a PS3 game.

I have never heard anyone say that.

It is quite intuitively obvious to even the most casual observer that the game looks as if it would be technically impossible on anything but a next-gen system.

sunnz

I have never heard anyone say that.

It is quite intuitively obvious to even the most casual observer that the game looks as if it would be technically impossible on anything but a next-gen system.

Yea there have been a few saying it could be done on the ps3, made me facepalm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom