• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin Afghani is the voice of Mario and Luigi in Super Mario Bros. Wonder

Woopah

Listen to me clearly as I am not going to repeat myself again- I will NOT refer to a person as they/them if it is asked of me, no matter much you or anyone else wants society to bend for their delusions.
It is common to refer to people as they but I will not call a male a they/them cause "they" want me to when I know who "they" are and what sex "they" are!
This guy putting he/him in his bio shows how fucking dumb he is. He is a male. We ALL know he is a he/him without him having to virtue signal what his "preferred" pronouns are. Why they need to be preferred is beyond me anyway...

I hope that clears it up for you somewhat...
Yes that's very clear.
dude lay off he said one thing and you turn this into a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee thread.
My intention was to have a discussion with them, not attack them. But I apologise if it came across that way.

MacReady13

I have no idea what your gender is so I went with "them". It wasn't meant as a dig.
And that's perfectly acceptable as I didn't demand you use those as my pronouns. That is acceptable use of the English language. But now that you know I am a man, it would be assumed that you would now refer to me as a he and him... I'm not demanding it though or putting it in my bio so you and everyone on the face of this planet knows. It just is what it is...

Astral Dog

Listen to me clearly as I am not going to repeat myself again- I will NOT refer to a person as they/them if it is asked of me, no matter much you or anyone else wants society to bend for their delusions.
It is common to refer to people as they but I will not call a male a they/them cause "they" want me to when I know who "they" are and what sex "they" are!
This guy putting he/him in his bio shows how fucking dumb he is. He is a male. We ALL know he is a he/him without him having to virtue signal what his "preferred" pronouns are. Why they need to be preferred is beyond me anyway...

I hope that clears it up for you somewhat...
If you really care about someone, and for whatever reason this person prefers to be called "them" or they in conversation its not a big deal, since there is a relation of trust,maybe you just want to be polite or avoid a confrontation

However when it comes to government/institutions enforcing this dialect with some thinly veiled threat its another matter entirely because it serves a certain purpose,saying "They/Them" doesn't provide any meaningful context in this situation,in reality they are not doing it to protect some random guys "feelings",thats a lie instead it functions as a method of controlling speech and opens a can of worms because you end up with countless entitlement to zi,xer,clown etc. its not always disrespectful or done with ill intention to use common pronouns,in a free society this at the very least this would be open for debate in each institution, and some type of vote system

However , we are not longer living in a free speech society , thus be aware someone will always feel the need to label, judge and correct you if you speak against the unspoken and written "rules" of modern political attachment ,it signals a deviance that is considered a problem no matter how slight it is

Last edited:

MacReady13

If you really care about someone, and for whatever reason this person prefers to be called "them" or they in conversation its not a big deal, since there is a relation of trust

However when it comes to government/institutions enforcing this dialect with some thinly veiled threat its another matter entirely because it serves a certain purpose,saying "They/Them" doesn't provide any meaningful context in this situation,in reality they are not doing it to protect some random guys "feelings",instead it functions as a method of controlling speech and opens a can of worms because you end up with countless entitlement to zi,xer,clown etc. its not always disrespectful or done with ill intention to use common pronouns,in a free society this at the very least this would be open for debate in each institution, and some type of vote system

However , we are not longer living in a free speech society , thus be aware someone will always feel the need to label, judge and correct you if you speak against the unspoken and written "rules" of modern political attachment ,it signals a deviance that is considered a problem no matter how slight it is
We are going to have to agree to disagree on this unfortunately.

Woopah

And that's perfectly acceptable as I didn't demand you use those as my pronouns. That is acceptable use of the English language. But now that you know I am a man, it would be assumed that you would now refer to me as a he and him... I'm not demanding it though or putting it in my bio so you and everyone on the face of this planet knows. It just is what it is...
Sure, I'm happy using whichever pronouns you prefer.

MiguelItUp

Well, good for that guy I guess. It was noticeable in the teaser/trailer that it wasn't the OG. It felt like someone doing an impression of him, it was kind of odd.

Also, I know it's already been said, but pronouns in a profile really doesn't mean anything these days, especially coming from various actors and actresses. Even if they're indifferent on the topic, putting such a thing in their profile will most likely look better for agents and related offices in California for obvious reasons. It'll just make them look "good" in most cases, get them more work and opportunities, etc. Just the reality of it all. 🤷‍♂️

EruditeHobo

I will refer to a male as he and a female as she. I don't care what delusions of grandeur people have. The sooner we stop bending to people's crazy beliefs the sooner this shit goes away. Simple.

So if you had a co-worker or friend or family member and they asked you if you would respect their wishes by referring to them the way they preferred, you would not do it?

MacReady13

So if you had a co-worker or friend or family member and they asked you if you would respect their wishes by referring to them the way they preferred, you would not do it?
What part of NO do you not understand? I live in reality, not some made up bullshit in your head. Simple concept I would have thought. I don't need to satisfy peoples feelings over made up bullshit!

Fake

Why you guys keeep using the same argument? Just use names as people have been using since ever.

Is getting silly at this point. There are no hostage sittuation here, there are no demands.

MiguelItUp

Just leave it alone. The guy has an opinion, and a random on a forum isn't going to change his mind, just leave it be. Whether you agree or not, agree to disagree and let's get back to talking about how Kevin Afghani can never fill Charles Martinet's shoes. But hell, no one can. But really, it's derailed enough, lmao.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
My perspective on this is that I know people who have (or are in the process of having) gender changing surgery and its making them happier as a result.

So if they feel a certain way and the treatment makes them feel better, I see no reason why I should be bothered by that.

There are people who are happier when they kill other people. The personal feelings of a small subset of people doesn't come into play when considering right and wrong or true and false. Having said that, you're certainly entitled to your own opinion/perspective on the matter.

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

What part of NO do you not understand? I live in reality, not some made up bullshit in your head. Simple concept I would have thought. I don't need to satisfy peoples feelings over made up bullshit!

You're the one in here with multiple posts about your stringent aversion to this stuff in a thread about an actor selected to do voiceover. You certainly cared enough to come in here and whine about it... no need to get pissy and exasperated when people engage with your opinion by asking straightforward clarifying questions.

Last edited:

AREYOUOKAY?

I want a cool old man voicing Mario. But I don’t really care.
7kiXzLS.jpg

Woopah

I don't have a preference cause it's not something I need to think about. I am a male, therefore... Also, you could just call me Mac/Macready as per my username. Much like in real life!!!
I would be happy either way! I'm just saying that its not something that bothers me.

One of my team members at work has "she/her" in the email signature and another has "she/her ; they/them". To me that is a not a " yikes" moment, but something inconsequential that doesn't imapct my opinion of them
There are people who are happier when they kill other people. The personal feelings of a small subset of people doesn't come into play when considering right and wrong or true and false. Having said that, you're certainly entitled to your own opinion/perspective on the matter.

How is the bolded at all relevent?

On the underlined, I fully agree! Them getting the surgery isn't a quesiton of right or wrong, and them being transgender is something that is true. The fact that it makes them happier has no impact on the truth/morality of it.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
How is the bolded at all relevent?

I thought it was obvious. Just because an act/action makes someone happier doesn't mean the act/action is good/right/true. You stated that your perspective is based on the act/actions making them happier, and the implication was that their happiness makes it okay to feed into the delusion regarding what they are. Hence my extreme example that was meant as a counter to that implication.

On the underlined, I fully agree! Them getting the surgery isn't a quesiton of right or wrong, and them being transgender is something that is true. The fact that it makes them happier has no impact on the truth/morality of it.

Whether they are a man or a woman is 100% regarding what is true. You're encouraging them to be untruthful, and by extension you want others to engage in untruthfulness (e.g. call them the opposite of what they are) so as not to offend them. Truth isn't subjective. I'm not saying they can't get the surgery or call themself the opposite gender of what they are. I'm saying that they are not being truthful to themselves or others, and they are requesting that others engage in this untruth, and that that is harmful.

Woopah

I thought it was obvious. Just because an act/action makes someone happier doesn't mean the act/action is good/right/true. You stated that your perspective is based on the act/actions making them happier, and the implication was that their happiness makes it okay to feed into the delusion regarding what they are. Hence my extreme example that was meant as a counter to that implication.

Whether they are a man or a woman is 100% regarding what is true. You're encouraging them to be untruthful, and by extension you want others to engage in untruthfulness (e.g. call them the opposite of what they are) so as not to offend them. Truth isn't subjective. I'm not saying they can't get the surgery or call themself the opposite gender of what they are. I'm saying that they are not being truthful to themselves or others, and they are requesting that others engage in this untruth, and that that is harmful.
I think you misunderstand me. I'm not claiming that their personal happiness has any impact on truth or morality. Im saying "this person did a thing which increased their happiness and did no harm, so why should it bother me?"

As always with this topic, it's worth stressing that there's a difference between sex and gender.

So for example, it could absolutely be true that their sex at birth (being biology) was a woman. And it could also be true that the gender (being socially constructed characteristics) that they most identified with was a man.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
As always with this topic, it's worth stressing that there's a difference between sex and gender.

Gender is the identification of male or female, and sex is whether they are male or female. If your sex is male, your gender should be male. If your sex is female, your identification should be female. Any other combination is the untruthfulness that I was referring to.

These people, yourself included, can't even explain what being male means or what being female means. The only way we use these terms is in relation to a person's sex (or when we anthropomorphize non-living objects, such as a car). Why do these people identify as something other than their biological sex? There has to be a motivator beyond, "I was born X, but I feel like I am Y." That is a circular argument, and I have yet to see someone properly articulate what it actually means to be male or female. Reconstruction surgery to give a woman a penis doesn't make them a male. Reconstruction surgery to give a man a vagina doesn't make them a female.

Woopah

Gender is the identification of male or female, and sex is whether they are male or female. If your sex is male, your gender should be male. If your sex is female, your identification should be female. Any other combination is the untruthfulness that I was referring to.

These people, yourself included, can't even explain what being male means or what being female means. The only way we use these terms is in relation to a person's sex (or when we anthropomorphize non-living objects, such as a car). Why do these people identify as something other than their biological sex? There has to be a motivator beyond, "I was born X, but I feel like I am Y." That is a circular argument, and I have yet to see someone properly articulate what it actually means to be male or female. Reconstruction surgery to give a woman a penis doesn't make them a male. Reconstruction surgery to give a man a vagina doesn't make them a female.
I dont claim to be an expert on the matter, so to quote the World Health Organisation:

Sex refers to “the different biological and physiological characteristics of males and females, such as reproductive organs, chromosomes, hormones, etc.”

Gender refers to "the socially constructed characteristics of women and men – such as norms, roles and relationships of and between groups of women and men. It varies from society to society and can be changed."

Gender identity refers to "a person’s deeply felt, internal and individual experience of gender, which may or may not correspond to the person’s physiology or designated sex at birth."

So yes, it is that the gender identity they feel (based on the characteristics of their society) is different from the biological sex they were born as.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Woopah Woopah , I know what the WHO says on the matter. I'm educated on the subject. What you said addresses nothing I said. If a man feels like a woman (or vice versa), the solution isn't to call them a woman (or vice versa). The solution is to treat that as what it is, which is a symptom of something wrong. This is my last response since you don't know anything about this except how to regurgitate talking points. This is a mental illness, and treating it as a normal condition is doing a disservice to both the afflicted and the people they come into contact with them.

Woopah

Woopah Woopah , I know what the WHO says on the matter. I'm educated on the subject. What you said addresses nothing I said. If a man feels like a woman (or vice versa), the solution isn't to call them a woman (or vice versa). The solution is to treat that as what it is, which is a symptom of something wrong. This is my last response since you don't know anything about this except how to regurgitate talking points. This is a mental illness, and treating it as a normal condition is doing a disservice to both the afflicted and the people they come into contact with them.
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on how it should be treated, or how someone putting he/him in his Twitter profile is doing anyone a disservice.

But I respect that you no longer want to discuss this.

Top Bottom