• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got an Xbox One S, and my god, playing in 4k, HDR is something!

Vawn

Banned
I just recently upgraded my Nintendo to the new SUPER Nintendo. Holy cow! What a difference. There are so many more colors and everything is so much more vibrant.

Have you guys upgraded yet?

DonF

I can't confirm if the scaler while game mode is different, but I agree with you about the output. While 4k TV turn of those scaler.
So, you can change input to 4k on Xbox One S? He remain at 4k while playing games or he go back to 1080p?
Yes, the one s has 4k output. The TV thinks the signal Is 4k so it doesn't apply any scaling. The internal rendering resolution is the same as an Xbox one though.

Discusguy

Just goes to show how stellar the scaler chip in the Xbox S is.

I find it funny how some are dragging the Xbox S for scaling but are completely find with dynamic resolutions.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Dunno what the scaler of Xbox One S, but TV scaler vary between brands. Bravia have one of the most powerful scalers on the market. IDK if is a good ideia putting scaler inside another scaler. They don't stack so well.
What do you mean? If one thing is scaling the other most likely isn’t.

I think his heart broke when he realized he bought the wrong xbox :messenger_tears_of_joy: You know whats happening tomorrow morning: " Hi madam, I decided to return this xbox, my kid just doesnt play it". Goes to the store across the street and buys Xbox ONE X.

Alebrije

This thread will be relevant on november 10 whent lots of kids and adults will receive Xbone X instead of series X....

-Dude look graphics on series X 4k is great.....
-But that is not the new Xbox bro.

DESTROYA

Opps

JRqfVp5.gif

soulbait

Huh? In my xboxsetting my TV is 4k, HDR enable, how come its not 4 K?

The Xbox One S has a 4k scaler built into it, so it upscales non 4k content to 4k. None of the Xbox One games will be in native 4k on the Xbox One S; they are upscaled.

Fake

What do you mean? If one thing is scaling the other most likely isn’t.

Not true. Unless you put the max output, both stack. There is no 'signal' for telling if is already a scaler in place. As the previous conversation, if you put the Xbox at 4K output the TV scaler is automatic disable, otherwise will still in place.

HF2014

Imagine wanting 4K and buying One S!

OP I wont judge cause I dont know your financial situation. Still moving from X360 is a big step! Enjoy.
My purpose of buying the One S was to play Forza, and some racing games from the 360 era, Burnout Revenge, Split Second, Hydro Thunder.Just dont want to jump on the Series just yet, waiting to see if there is any hardware problems for new generation coming out.

Still, to my surprise ( which you all break 😂😜), i realise that the One S was displaying in 4K, which was a thing i was not thinking, but was surprise to see. When i set it with HDR , it look pretty amazing, and want to share my joy of discovering 4K. The rest is history now 😂

Very simple. The guy was BLOWN AWAY by his "4k picture" meanwhile it's 1080p! haha. As sleepy would say, "c'mon man!"

Outside of bestbuy, normal people don't care about HDR. It's completely over hyped and often times looks even darker unless you were using movie mode as your non hdr benchmark. The entire thing is a overblown mess.

Absolute crap. When HDR is used by people who know what they are doing, it completely enhances a game. Viewing it on a laptop or tablet isn't giving the right image. Needs to be on a mid-expensive TV

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I just recently upgraded my Nintendo to the new SUPER Nintendo. Holy cow! What a difference. There are so many more colors and everything is so much more vibrant.

Report me for trolling MS/Xbox threads > 06/20

dottme

I think this thread confirm my feeling. Everyone fight on the resolution with the DF video to prove it, but at the end of the day, most of the people doesn’t really care.
I know i can feel the difference when i switch a game from performance mode to the better resolution. But if i don’t really switch, i don’t really care if it’s 1080p/720p/4K or whatever. If the game looks great for you, that’s the important point.

Bridges

It took me literal months to notice when my Xbox One X had been accidentally switched to not output in 4K. Months.

Graphics are cool and all but I'm pretty convinced that without a direct side-by-side comparison most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 4K and 1080p.

HF2014

It took me literal months to notice when my Xbox One X had been accidentally switched to not output in 4K. Months.

Graphics are cool and all but I'm pretty convinced that without a direct side-by-side comparison most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 4K and 1080p.

Im very curious to see if i could see a difference, well, kind of seeing one when my system was set in 1080p and i set it in 4k, feels im seeing at a better resolution, but i think what made me see a total difference is putting the HDR. I think in this game if your tv and system, games are set correctly, its amazing. And my tv is not even a top of the line, in the system settup for hdr and lightning adjustment, there is some option you have to see two eyes, only seeing one, which tell me im not even seeing how much better it could look with a better tv. But anyway, on my 55 inch, i feel i see some difference from 1080p. Pretty sure getting a better tv i would see an even bigger difference, right now, im not seeing a difference as example 720p vs 1080p, but notice its better.

Iced Arcade

Great little console but yeah you fell for some marketing tags. You do have a 4k BluRay layer though
The One S is shit. It doesn't run anything in 1080p even.
Lol keep that same energy for the opposite

Last edited:

DiegoAndrad

Lol, this reminds me of when my father invited me over to check out this new 4k TV, he had just bought. When I got there, he started a movie on Netflix, but he had some network issue and his wifi was quite unstable, so Netflix was streaming at 720p and at a low bitrate, nevertheless he bragged about how great the image looked. I mean, there was a lot of compression artifacts, you couldn't see any detail at all, but somehow it looked great to him. He only noticed when I connected the TV over ethernet and the stream went to 4k.

Huh? In my xboxsetting my TV is 4k, HDR enable, how come its not 4 K?
I knew MS marketing would be able to fool many.

The machine has a 4k output, but this is basically a base Xbox one,it runs the games in the same resolution and framerate as the base system.

Wonko_C

Not sure what you're implying here but the Super Nintendo was an actual huge upgrade from the 8-bit NES. It is impossible to not notice it, both graphics and sound-wise.

Last edited:

makaveli60

What’s the best HDR game on PS4?

HZD looks pretty nice with it on my TV, but it’s a 20% upgrade, I think.

Witcher 3’ HDR is nice but too dark.

Besides movies, which really look nice, I’m still unimpressed with HDR in games.
I was unimpressed at first too, I even made a thread about it. It's really a hit or miss with games.
Doom Eternal is awesome with it, Ghost of Tsushima also (dramatic mode), Mafia Definitive Edition, TLoU 2. All of these are much better with HDR, and again, this is coming from someone who was worried if his TV is faulty based on Horizon and some other "go to" HDR games.

Top Bottom