• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got an Xbox One S, and my god, playing in 4k, HDR is something!

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
At least op is like
63f.jpg

Which kinda makes me happy for him.

The Shepard

I do agree with op on hdr, it is great. Maybe s/he's really got an xbox series x in the post off Microsoft and got confused with the names like everyone else.

Sw0pDiller

Makes me wonder what OP did play all those years on his PS4 to be blown away by Forza 3 on a XB one S. I mean, he mentions GTSport and thats no ugly game with or without HDR. Glad that OP is happy with it though!

Everyone talking about resolution. No one talking about the fact that FH3 is a really good looking game with stellar HDR. It was the first game that really impressed me with HDR in 2016. And I played it on the One S too. If the TV is small enough, the difference in rendering resolution will not be that big of a deal.

Add to the fact that the Xbox One S outputs in 4K. I’m not surprised that some people might get confused.

acm2000

Makes me wonder what OP did play all those years on his PS4 to be blown away by Forza 3 on a XB one S. I mean, he mentions GTSport and thats no ugly game with or without HDR. Glad that OP is happy with it though!

forza horizon 3 and 4 are on another level to gtsport, as you would expect for native 1080p/4k 30fps.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
If it looks good to you then that's all that matters.

I wonder if you had your PS4 calibrated correctly to output HDR? Either way glad you are enjoying it, FH3 is awesome.

SkylineRKR

HDR is not overrated lol. Turn it off in Horizon or GTS. Some devs don't grasp it yet, but good HDR is excellent. Good TV helps too. Mid to high end.

Last edited:

acm2000

the HDR issue is that you need a minimum of 1000nits, you simply wont get that on the average persons tv, ideally 2000nits which you defintely wont get on all but the most sweatiest of nerds tvs.

Always knew 4K targeting is dumb. Nobody can see the difference.

Most people also have a TV that’s way too small for their viewing distance. Many people still think 55 inches is HUGE and sit like 2-3 meters away from it. You are not going to see much difference.

INC

And there's more evidence that people can't see the difference, and how pointless 4k really is in the grand scheme of things

Allandor

Well, the thread starter might just not know what 4k is about. But he is right about HDR, or at least it might not really be HDR but the 10-bit color palate that often come with this feature in TVs (even if it is just 8bit + FRC). Because of this the picture just looks way better. Of course the same applies to the PS4.
If I had to decide if I take a higher resolution or HDR + 10 Bit colors, it would always be the later. But the good thing is, HDR + 10 bit colors are normally cheap (performance wise), you need just a TV that supports it.

Btw, old TV panels often had only 6-bit colors + FRC (to simulate more colors). So a 4k TV upgrade can have an even bigger impact.

Was expecting something else when I entered this thread. OP brings healthy humor. Would like his post x10 but I only got 1 like to give.

😂 How i feel right now after creating this thread and reading how idiotic my post was 😂

Not at all mate, it's a fun thread backfire but in your defense upscale tech is super good these days. It can be really hard to pick the differences. Just enjoy your experience and it will only get better when you move to native 4K.

On one hand I am happy for that fleeting joy Op felt. But on the other I am sad that he had to have his buble burst. I also feel the fear that Op doesn't realise what a bad investment it was to buy a One S at this paticulr time when the new consoles are about to be released and price cuts are inevitable. This thread has been a rollercoaster of emotions.

Doczu

Get the Doom 64 port on XBO OP, it's actually the highest resolution thing you can play on your box - 1440p.

Turn that thing in and get a Series S at least. One S was a mistske.

Last edited:

HF2014

If it looks good to you then that's all that matters.

I wonder if you had your PS4 calibrated correctly to output HDR? Either way glad you are enjoying it, FH3 is awesome.

Yeah, my PS4 was calibrated good for HDR, im seeing a difference vs non HDR on. It look better for sure and really good, but see that FH3 is another level. Forza games always look to me as more colorful games, so in a way felt less realism in it. The HDR put the game to another level, making it look more real, and feel it look better than Sports. Cant wait to try FH4 and Forza 7 , expecting them to look even better.

Arun1910

Lmao. Downgraded from a PS4 to a One S and thinking the content was 4K.

Either way, you defo bought the right console for you.

As long as you're happy with what you see, the numbers don't matter.

Delt31

How does this prove hdr is over hyped when he is running in hdr and was blown away by it? Really just curious how you got that out of what I just read.

Very simple. The guy was BLOWN AWAY by his "4k picture" meanwhile it's 1080p! haha. As sleepy would say, "c'mon man!"

Outside of bestbuy, normal people don't care about HDR. It's completely over hyped and often times looks even darker unless you were using movie mode as your non hdr benchmark. The entire thing is a overblown mess.

Azurro

Banned
Lol. Ok. Its not even real 4K, a bit confuse, but still i see there is a difference, by switching my hdmi to 2.0 , which support the hdr and 4k.

You are noticing HDR, you're lucky if the Xbox One S is even doing 1080p, lol.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yeah, my PS4 was calibrated good for HDR, im seeing a difference vs non HDR on. It look better for sure and really good, but see that FH3 is another level. Forza games always look to me as more colorful games, so in a way felt less realism in it. The HDR put the game to another level, making it look more real, and feel it look better than Sports. Cant wait to try FH4 and Forza 7 , expecting them to look even better.
Yeah FH4 takes it up even more, you're in for a treat :messenger_ok:

iorek21

What’s the best HDR game on PS4?

HZD looks pretty nice with it on my TV, but it’s a 20% upgrade, I think.

Witcher 3’ HDR is nice but too dark.

Besides movies, which really look nice, I’m still unimpressed with HDR in games.

ethomaz

Banned
It is fine OP.

The difference between 4k uspscalled and 4k native is less perceptible than for example 720p to 1080p... that is even more hard to tell because most games uses AA solution like FXAA that blurry even 4k native images... most people won’t know unless he see a pixel count or somebody tells him.

HDR thought drastically changes the image quality.

That is probably what give you WOW.

ethomaz

Banned
What’s the best HDR game on PS4?

HZD looks pretty nice with it on my TV, but it’s a 20% upgrade, I think.

Witcher 3’ HDR is nice but too dark.

Besides movies, which really look nice, I’m still unimpressed with HDR in games.
I believe GTS has one of the best HDR implementation.

Top Bottom