• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got an Xbox One S, and my god, playing in 4k, HDR is something!

HF2014

Was in the hunt for a 360 lately, but got a deal too good to pass on a Xbox one S. Sure Series is coming out soon, but will be waitiing a bit. Game i install was Forza Horizon 3 ( not even the 4 ), which i got in the past on my old system on my account.

My god, playing something in 4K and HDR is pretty amazing. Was not having a PS4 Pro, just a regular one, and GT Sports look great with HDR, but now i finally was able to play some real 4k content on my tv, and im just blowned away how great FH3 looks. And the worst thing is that im just having a cheap Fire TV from Toshiba - Amazon, its not even a top 4 K tv.

I missed to boat for a long time, but now i got some catch up to do 😁 . This for sure will make me skip the Series S for sure, it was maybe in my plan later, but i think i will need to X if i choose Xbox or The PS5 will get it anyway. Now im a beleiver of 4K!

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
HDR turned into one of them things for me that I stopped noticing unless it was off. Kinda like rumble in a controller.

Doesn’t help the game I played the most did it really bad (Destiny 2). Movies on the other had, love it.

LordOfChaos

Lol. Ok. Its not even real 4K, a bit confuse, but still i see there is a difference, by switching my hdmi to 2.0 , which support the hdr and 4k.

HDR is a pretty great gain on its own. For the 8.5 gen consoles at least, I always thought we could have done a lot more at 1080p + HDR rather than just spending the extra power on more pixels. The base PS4 is now 7 years old but can still stun me in HDR.

Senua

Grdr9tI.jpg

TeKtheSanE

I read the title as I got a Xbox Series S and 4k is amazing! (8 hours of debugging kills my head sometimes)

Got in here and was going to say that's 1440p my friend and how did you get one early? But...

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
😂 How i feel right now after creating this thread and reading how idiotic my post was 😂
lol haha. Its all cool. Ms is sneaky like that

I remember receiving a call from my brother asking me if he should buy the x1s. I said get an x1x because then he can play rdr2 in 4k but he kept saying the x1s box says it's 4k.

I spent half an hour explaining it to him and he still wasn't convinced.

It's misleading marketing. They know what they are doing.

When you see true 4k, you will see just how crisp and clear it is.

Last edited:

DonF

4k from the Xbox even if the internal resolution is lower is way better than native 1080p and have the tv stretch and try to upscale the image.
The Xbox scaler is way better than the one on your tv. So yeah, it looks good. Native looks even better.

Fake

The Xbox scaler is way better than the one on your tv. So yeah, it looks good. Native looks even better.

Dunno what the scaler of Xbox One S, but TV scaler vary between brands. Bravia have one of the most powerful scalers on the market. IDK if is a good ideia putting scaler inside another scaler. They don't stack so well.

HF2014

lol haha. Its all cool. Ms is sneaky like that

I remember receiving a call from my brother asking me if he should buy the x1s. I said get an x1x because then he can play rdr2 in 4k but he kept saying the x1s box says it's 4k.

I spent half an hour explaining it to him and he still wasn't convinced.

It's misleading marketing. They know what they are doing.

When you see true 4k, you will see just how crisp and clear it is.

Went on the web to read a bit about this, and i can agree its pretty confusing. I still see that it look better as example compare to GT Sports, its an upper resolution, i see it as a bit of an upgrade. Going to get FH4 and Forza 7 soon to see how better looking these game can be.

DonF

Dunno what the scaler of Xbox One S, but TV scaler vary between brands. Bravia have one of the most powerful scalers on the market. IDK if is a good ideia putting scaler inside another scaler. They don't stack so well.
Yes, tv scalers can be good, but when you set the tv to game mode, the the scaling isn't the best.
Also, if the Xbox is sending a 4k output but internal resolution is 1080p, the tv isn't going to scale.

Fake

Yes, tv scalers can be good, but when you set the tv to game mode, the the scaling isn't the best.
Also, if the Xbox is sending a 4k output but internal resolution is 1080p, the tv isn't going to scale.

I can't confirm if the scaler while game mode is different, but I agree with you about the output. While 4k TV turn of those scaler.
So, you can change input to 4k on Xbox One S? He remain at 4k while playing games or he go back to 1080p?

Last edited:

Codes 208

as others have mentioned the xbox one is 1.3rfloos, no chance in hell can it run 4k, the system barely handles full 1080p.

not that it really makes that drastic of a difference if you don’t care for pixel counting

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Scaler inception... How deep can we go?

teezzy

Banned
I dont play anything 4k.

Got my One S hooked to a 46" 1080p, and my PC hooked to dual 27" 1440p monitors

I love my One S still, even if it is 1080p 👮‍♂️

cireza

Banned
One S makes an upscale to 4K. No reason not to be happy, you got a nice console for a small price, it is perfectly fine. There is plenty to enjoy here before thinking of going for another console.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

HDR turned into one of them things for me that I stopped noticing unless it was off. Kinda like rumble in a controller.

Doesn’t help the game I played the most did it really bad (Destiny 2). Movies on the other had, love it.

You have a shit TV then

Top Bottom