• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joker ReviewS: Masterpiece Level

zenspider

I still see the very ending of the movie being a fantasy. He's fed up and he knows he can't attack social workers when there's guards around. So he just imagines it. And in his imagination the guards are clumsy and he can out maneuver them. That's why he laughs. That's why the social worker "wouldn't get it". The world is his circus inside his imagination. Here Batman can exist.

That would have been a lot more interesting. Instead, they busted their nut early on with the 'Fight Club' twist.

dan76

Finally got to see the film and thought it was very good. There were some things I didn't like about it, but if I view the movie the way I think it's supposed to be viewed it kind of excuses most of the crap stuff.

So, with regards to the end scene
I think the whole film has been the Joker telling the his story to the Dr in the white room. But because he's the Joker a lot of it is warped and not really what happened, it's his version of what happened. This would excuse a lot of the slow mo dancing with music, the part at the end where he is rescued and worshipped, the relationship which was obviously a fantasy (it was either that or some of the poorest writing in cinema) and various parts which are a bit jarring - sleeping in the fridge, the way the talk show plays his awful stand up, that would never really happen.

Near the beginning there is a brief flash forward to him banging his head on the door of that white room. I think that's because his other doctor asks him about getting out of the asylum, it brings him out of it for a split second. He looks older in that end scene, a bit of a grey beard forming. I think this scene takes place at a time where the Batman exists because he mentions sharing a joke, then there's a flash cut to Bruce Wayne next to his dead parents, then it cuts back to Joker and he says you wouldn't get it. I think he's seeing the irony that he created Batman that night.

I liked how it tied into Bruce Wayne and the murder of his parents by one of his followers. Loved the 70's Saul Bass Warner Bros. logo at the start. I really went into this film knowing nothing, and it was a surprise that is was set in the 70's or early 80's.

Joaquin sure deserves that Oscar as it's an incredible performance, I just thought there was a bit too much slow mo dancing....

Last edited:
Just gonna post this here too cause I love this meme.

LixMxDm.jpg

Gargus

Banned
Well Phoenix was great in it. One of his best performances. I really enjoyed watching him.

Aside from that the movie was a meandering turd. It was dark and edgy and cynical so a lot of people think it's amazing just on that premise alone. But really, we dont need 2 hours of "life sucks" because that about all it was. After about 1 hour I am thinking "ok I get it, he has a shitty life. Surely something has to happen now" 1 hour later "nope, not a damn thing happened except more his life sucks and now its over"

Everyone today seems to be depressed, bitching about the dumbest shit all the time, yet again for the 30th time talking about the collapse of society and mankind is doomed, politics sucks, rich people screw the poor and blahs blah. It played on societies current state of mind, that's why it's so popular.

But what's worse than anything else is the fact because something was popular with the joker that means hot topic is going to make a billion dollars and stay in business.

Romulus

I thought Phoenix did great, otherwise I thought the writing was only slightly above average for what they were doing. The end dialogue on the game show seemed forced.

Loved the death scene in his apartment with his two coworkers. It needed more stuff like that, hauntingly humorous.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
J
I thought Phoenix did great, otherwise I thought the writing was only slightly above average for what they were doing. The end dialogue on the game show seemed forced.

Loved the death scene in his apartment with his two coworkers. It needed more stuff like that, hauntingly humorous.

I saw it recently, and feel the same.
Great performance from Phoenix, and some really entertaining scenes, but held back by poor dialog, and just lacking in cohesiveness at times.

oh noes.
Scorsese doesn't give a shit about Joker either. It's not worth his time to watch.

At this point I think Martin is already salty because deep down he knows Bong Joon-ho came out of absolute left field to anally devastate him both for best picture AND best director.

Rat Rage

Was pretty good. I enjoyed it.

As an origin story, I liked that they didn't portray the Joker as a phsychopath, but rather a sociopath.

oh noes.
Scorsese doesn't give a shit about Joker either. It's not worth his time to watch.

i think scorcese feels iffy about comic book adaptions no matter how serious lol

i bet he wants to say bad things about it and i wish he spilled that shit because it would be a riot to listen to

he just likes old school more original nitty gritty stuff

Roufianos

Ugh. Just listened to Easy Allies' spoiler discussion and Ian, the mighty SJW, is bitching about how "tone deaf" the movie is. At one point he says "So does this Joker only kill black people" in reference to him supposedly killing his imaginary gf.

sol_bad

You forget which forum you were posting on?

Nope
Whole threads are constantly made on this forum when an actor or some celebrity talks about Hollywood needing to be more diverse.
And here is Phoenix saying he is part of the problem.

ExpandKong

Banned
Ugh. Just listened to Easy Allies' spoiler discussion and Ian, the mighty SJW, is bitching about how "tone deaf" the movie is. At one point he says "So does this Joker only kill black people" in reference to him supposedly killing his imaginary gf.

But the director confirmed he didn’t kill her...and also literally everyone you see him kill is white. Jesus.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Saw the movie for the first time today. I don't really see what the hype was about. I think too much of the movie was spoiled for me.
One thing that kind of annoys me about movies like this is when they never once really break away from the main character. Almost every minute of every scene has JP in it. It tries my patience for some reason. 1917 did the same thing. I think breaking away from Joker for certain scenes would have added to the realism of the movie. But, that's just me.

Great performance from JP. Everyone else was just okay.

Top Bottom