• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan: "We will make sure the PlayStation 5 generation has more exclusive software than ever before

NahaNago

Just because Sony studios have grown doesn't mean that they are going to all of a sudden have a lot more games from each studio. All this means is that they can probably either make a much larger and better looking world or they can at least create one extra game with the larger studios.

edit: this is also why I said they need to buy several more studios. They struggled last gen due to keeping things exclusive during the launch of the ps4 for either ps3 or ps4. Puppeteer and gt should have been upgraded to the ps4. That is a pro and con of this gen that we have actual cross-gen first party games this time around.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

yurinka

The only thing that concerns me about Sony is their emphasis on Naughty Dog.
ND maybe are their best selling, most awarded devs. So obviusly they get more attention. Same happens in Nintendo with the 98449556 Mario games they release, or with Halo on MS.

But ND aren't even a 10% of the games published by Sony. And if we include the 3rd party exclusive deals they make it's even less. And if we count their investments in other stuff like hardware and accesories, OS features, services and subscription ND is a very tiny part of their emphasis.

Just because Sony studios have grown doesn't mean that they are going to all of a sudden have a lot more games from each studio. All this means is that they can probably either make a much larger and better looking world or they can at least create one extra game with the larger studios.

edit: this is also why I said they need to buy several more studios. They struggled last gen due to keeping things exclusive during the launch of the ps4 for either ps3 or ps4. Puppeteer and gt should have been upgraded to the ps4. That is a pro and con of this gen that we have actual cross-gen first party games this time around.
They said multiple times that they grow most of their 1st party studios both because next gen means AAA games requiring more work, and because they want some of their studios to work on multiple games at the same time (it's already the case for several of them). They also mentioned that will continue acquiring new studios too.

Jim Ryan recently said PS5 will have more exclusives than previous consoles. Next gen means to make games becomes more expensive, and also in the recent years the amount of devs and released games skyrocketed, so there's a ton of competition. This means devs need to release their games on more platforms to have a certain stability and make sure they keep profitable. So the timed console exclusives are a better deal for 3r parties, both AAA and indie. And also for Sony, MS and Nintendo, because the investment on a 3rd party timed console exclusive is way cheaper than a full 2nd/3rd party exclusive, but still has the marketing/PR effect.

They sold over 1500 million games for PS4, and released more exclusives and made more money than Microsoft and Nintendo. They outsold 2:1 their direct competition. Multis and exclusives sell better on PS than in Xbox. So they will continue getting more and more exclusives.

Sony needs Japan and they are totally botching it.
In terms of market, Japan is only relevant for Nintendo (not for all Switch games, for Nintendo) and specially mobile.

In terms of game development, PS4 got some exclusive from basically every known big and small Japanese publisher or dev. Jimbo recently said PS5 will have more exclusives than ever and even if Japanese devs shown a big PS5 support since the start, they are working to strengten relationships with Japanese devs to have even more support from them and also to get more games that are appealing to the Japanese market.

If they can't aquire Platinium, Koji Prod or Fromsoft, then make a deal with them and finance some games.
They already had exlusive deals with them on PS4: Babylon's Fall, Death Stranding, Bloodborne, Déraciné. Sony also recently signed a deal with Fromsoft's parent company and signed many recent additional exclusive deals with Babylon's Fall's publisher: Square Enix.

They would be great purchases, but it doesn't depend on Sony. Maybe the owners of the studios don't want to sell, maybe they will be too busy for the next years with games they already signed with other publishers and maybe they prefer working on their own IPs, or prefer to self publish and go multi to keep it more profitable for them.

It's not even that, I'm just quoting what jimbo had been preaching (we believe in generations) as PR as soon as Xbox released their statement of crossgen games would stay for years.
Jimbo said they believe in generations, and explained that with what he meant with that was that wanted PS5 games to use next gen features like DualSense stuff, SSD, 3D audio or RT. He explained that knows that in the first two or three years the big majority of the over 100 million active players they have in PS4 will remain on PS4, so he said that they were going to continue supporting PS4 too during at least 2 or 3 years after the PS5 release.

Nothing beats gaming for cheap

Here's an exclusive game for 70+$ and here's game pass with tons of free games for 10$ a month on average

Jim lives in the old PS3 days where exclusives sold hardware, good luck beating Gamepass and cross-play between XSX/Switch
Jim lives in the PS5 days, where PlayStation dominates Xbox in all fronts:

Where PlayStation continues outselling Xbox by over 2:1 difference, where PlayStation made more yearly revenue in 2020 than any other console manufacturer in gaming history, where PS4 is the console that sold more games in gaming history with over 1500 million games, where they release more exclusives and new IPs than MS, where these exclusives generate more money and win more awards than the MS ones, where PS4 and PS5 have been breaking many gaming history records like the amount of consoles sold at their point of lifetime.

And regarding Gamepass, Jim lives in a world where Sony's game subscripition services has more subscribers (who btw pay a full subscription), generate more money, have a way bigger catalog and are more profitable than the MS ones. And their streaming service performs better, works in consoles and isn't still in beta.

PlayStation dominates Xbox on all fronts and will continue doing so in at least the next few coming years.

Thread is just making me realise that a lack of Bethesda games on Playstation leaves a massive hole in the PS5's lineup.
As of now there are the same Bethesda games on PS5 and Xbox. The next two Bethesda/Zenimax games will be timed console PS5 exclusives. There are many Bethesda games on PS Now. We know that at least some of the future Bethesda/Zenimax games after the ones already signed will focus on 'first or best' on Xbox, which means that will be released on PS5 either at launch or after a timed console exclusive.

And even if wasn't the case and all become full Xbox console exclusives, more than 1500 million games (and counting) have been sold for PS4, and Bethesda games are only a tiny percentage of them, around 1% or 2%. So no, MS purchasing Zenimax won't affect PS5 lineup.

Last edited:
As of now there are the same Bethesda games on PS5 and Xbox. The next two Bethesda/Zenimax games will be timed console PS5 exclusives. There are many Bethesda games on PS Now. We know that at least some of the future Bethesda/Zenimax games after the ones already signed will focus on 'first or best' on Xbox, which means that will be released on PS5 either at launch or after a timed console exclusive.

And even if wasn't the case and all become full Xbox console exclusives, more than 1500 million games (and counting) have been sold for PS4, and Bethesda games are only a tiny percentage of them, around 1% or 2%. So no, MS purchasing Zenimax won't affect PS5 lineup.

You're saying that the lack of premiere FPS and WRPG franchises, which are amongst the PS4's most notable releases, will not have an affect on the PS5's library?

Sony will have to invest on filling the gap in those genres, the commercial performance of games like Fallout 4 and Doom on Playstation means there's high demand, and one Killzone every 3 years won't cut it.

yurinka

You're saying that the lack of premiere FPS and WRPG franchises, which are amongst the PS4's most notable releases, will not have an affect on the PS5's library?

Sony will have to invest on filling the gap in those genres, the commercial performance of games like Fallout 4 and Doom on Playstation means there's high demand, and one Killzone every 3 years won't cut it.
The premiere console FPS and WRPG franchises already are and will be on PS4 and PS5, and most of them sell more on PS than in Xbox or PC. Many of them even have marketing deals with Sony.

At least some of the Zenimax/Bethesda games will continue releasing on PS5 both at launch or after a timed console exclusive, MS said their focus with Bethesda is 'first or better on Xbox' instead of blocking access to these games. Which makes sense, it would be dumb to lose their until now main Bethesda revenue source (game sales on PS) specially if they will mostly give away the future games in their until now secondary revenue sources (PC and Xbox).

Even if it isn't the case and Zenimax goes full console exclusive for all their future games, PS5 wouldn't notice it because Zenimax games weren't more than 1-2% of their 1500 million PS4 games sold (and counting). Sony said PS5 will have more exclusives than the previous consoles, and they are in a multi-year growing trend of sales, so at the end of the generation they would have more than compensated that 1-2%.

Sony doesn't need Killzone, Doom or Wolfenstein when they have CoD, Battlefield, Rainbox Six, Fortnite, Battlefront, Destiny, Apex Legends, PUBG, Far Cry and all the other ones, which made way more money this generation. Exclusive or not, Sony earns a ton of money from them and PS is the main platform for many of them. They have that genre covered, so it's better to keep Guerrilla with Horizon, which performed way better than Killzone. Same goes with RPG.

Last edited:

NahaNago

They said multiple times that they grow most of their 1st party studios both because next gen means AAA games requiring more work, and because they want some of their studios to work on multiple games at the same time (it's already the case for several of them). They also mentioned that will continue acquiring new studios too.

Jim Ryan recently said PS5 will have more exclusives than previous consoles. Next gen means to make games becomes more expensive, and also in the recent years the amount of devs and released games skyrocketed, so there's a ton of competition. This means devs need to release their games on more platforms to have a certain stability and make sure they keep profitable. So the timed console exclusives are a better deal for 3r parties, both AAA and indie. And also for Sony, MS and Nintendo, because the investment on a 3rd party timed console exclusive is way cheaper than a full 2nd/3rd party exclusive, but still has the marketing/PR effect.

They sold over 1500 million games for PS4, and released more exclusives and made more money than Microsoft and Nintendo. They outsold 2:1 their direct competition. Multis and exclusives sell better on PS than in Xbox. So they will continue getting more and more exclusives.
I generally only focus on first party because I know that they will move to pc as soon as exclusivity contract is over with ps then they moved to pc well at least gen. Granted Jim is pushing to push all playstation games to pc as well, but I'll ignore that for now. It has always been understood that putting third party games on more consoles generates more money so this is nothing new and getting to market a game even if it isn't exclusive usually means more sales on that platform. I'm just not a fan of timed exclusives either go full or don't even bother.

On the multiple games released by first party studios. I honestly still have doubts on whether the growth they've made this gen will be enough. Like you said games are getting more expensive and requiring even more people to make so how do we know that these extra people aren't just going to be used to make the games even shinier than they are now. Right now I'm just taking a stance of I'll believe it when I see it. I generally don't believe Jim Ryan and believe he will say anything for pr purposes so anything he says becomes just a I'll believe it when I see it response. Pretty much his belief in "generations" just destroyed his credibility for me no matter what he truly supposedly meant.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
release kraken GIF
I didn't know that The Ring was based on a true story.

yurinka

I generally only focus on first party because I know that they will move to pc as soon as exclusivity contract is over with ps then they moved to pc well at least gen. Granted Jim is pushing to push all playstation games to pc as well, but I'll ignore that for now. It has always been understood that putting third party games on more consoles generates more money so this is nothing new and getting to market a game even if it isn't exclusive usually means more sales on that platform. I'm just not a fan of timed exclusives either go full or don't even bother.

On the multiple games released by first party studios. I honestly still have doubts on whether the growth they've made this gen will be enough. Like you said games are getting more expensive and requiring even more people to make so how do we know that these extra people aren't just going to be used to make the games even shinier than they are now. Right now I'm just taking a stance of I'll believe it when I see it. I generally don't believe Jim Ryan and believe he will say anything for pr purposes so anything he says becomes just a I'll believe it when I see it response. Pretty much his belief in "generations" just destroyed his credibility for me no matter what he truly supposedly meant.
Regarding PC, Jim said they have more PS4 coming to PC. Notice he mentioned PS4 games, not PS5 games. And he mentioned 'some', not 'all'. So who knows if in the future they will end releasing new PS5 games on PC day one. But as of now, seems they will release old PS4 games there.

Regarding their studio growth, it's something they (Jim, Hermen and the ones before them) mentioned multiple times since several years ago, and we saw it's true: in most studios you can see their headcount in wikipedia, or people from the studios mentioned their studio grew a lot in the recent years. And many mentioned to be working on multiple games, or we know it's the case thanks to their job offers.

Jim, Spencer or any PR guy can spin a bit some sentence to make it sound better, but never will blatantly lie.

If you got the impression that he was saying they weren't going to make crossgen games in the 'we believe in generations' interview, it's your fault or the interviewer's fault. Because Jim never said they weren't going to make crossgen games, that was something the interviewer said, not Jim.

What Jim said was he wanted PS5 games to support next gen exclusive features (like DualSense stuff, 3D audio, SSD, raytracing..) and also said they were going to continue supporting PS4 during at least 2 or 3 years more because there was over 100m people still actively playing them and only a small portion of them will be able to jump to PS5 in the next 2 or 3 years.

What he says it what we're getting: they continue supporting PS4, and they do it with crossgen games that when running on PS5 they support all these features (see Morales or Sackboy), in addition to next gen only PS5 games that also support these next gen only features (Demon's Souls, Astro, Destructioin All Stars, Returnal...).

I suggest you to read the original interviews instead of clickbaity headlines put out of context, and to focus on what the interviewed says instead on stuff that the interviewer mentions.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Regarding PC, Jim said they have more PS4 coming to PC. Notice he mentioned PS4 games, not PS5 games. And he mentioned 'some', not 'all'. So who knows if in the future they will end releasing new PS5 games on PC day one. But as of now, seems they will release old PS4 games there.

Regarding their studio growth, it's something they (Jim, Hermen and the ones before them) mentioned multiple times since several years ago, and we saw it's true: in most studios you can see their headcount in wikipedia, or people from the studios mentioned their studio grew a lot in the recent years. And many mentioned to be working on multiple games, or we know it's the case thanks to their job offers.

Jim, Spencer or any PR guy can spin a bit some sentence to make it sound better, but never will blatantly lie.

If you got the impression that he was saying they weren't going to make crossgen games in the 'we believe in generations' interview, it's your fault or the interviewer's fault. Because Jim never said they weren't going to make crossgen games, that was something the interviewer said, not Jim.

What Jim said was he wanted PS5 games to support next gen exclusive features (like DualSense stuff, 3D audio, SSD, raytracing..) and also said they were going to continue supporting PS4 during at least 2 or 3 years more because there was over 100m people still actively playing them and only a small portion of them will be able to jump to PS5 in the next 2 or 3 years.

What he says it what we're getting: they continue supporting PS4, and they do it with crossgen games that when running on PS5 they support all these features (see Morales or Sackboy), in addition to next gen only PS5 games that also support these next gen only features (Demon's Souls, Astro, Destructioin All Stars, Returnal...).

I suggest you to read the original interviews instead of clickbaity headlines put out of context, and to focus on what the interviewed says instead on stuff that the interviewer mentions.
It was not only saying we believe in genatations it was actively hiding cross generation versions of games until minutes before pre orders went live. If he was not intentionally misleading people there would of not been the cover up of the cross generation games for months. You can try and spin it all you want. It was a lie to take advantage of backslash Microsoft got for cross generation games. They rode good PR all summer as the only ones skipping cross generation. Your revisionist history there was a topic for every article for why Sony's next generation only approach was great and how games like Horizon 2 and miles would not be held back because of the ps4. That is until the bomb in September in a blog they did not have the guts to do it on camera.

yurinka

It was not only saying we believe in genatations it was actively hiding cross generation versions of games until minutes before pre orders went live. If he was not intentionally misleading people there would of not been the cover up of the cross generation games for months. You can try and spin it all you want. It was a lie to take advantage of backslash Microsoft got for cross generation games. They rode good PR all summer as the only ones skipping cross generation. Your revisionist history there was a topic for every article for why Sony's next generation only approach was great and how games like Horizon 2 and miles would not be held back because of the ps4. That is until the bomb in September in a blog they did not have the guts to do it on camera.
They didn't hide anything. They made an event to show games that were coming to PS5 and shown some games. Later (a fair time before release) they specified all the versions of these games, showing that some were also coming to PC, or other ones to PS4. It's basically the same than when Nintendo announces 3r party games (big or small) coming for Switch on their streams. They announce it for Switch only. And later we realize some of them are also coming to PC or other consoles. Or the same with Microsoft.

Last edited:

NahaNago

On PC I honestly think they are going to be porting ps5 games on to pc before this gen is over.

I'm only basing my thoughts on studio growth and video game releases based off of what they released this year. Games take longer to make and are far larger these days so I'm going to take a wait and see approach on these games. Most of the studios from what I can see is still less than 300 employees. Plus now they have to work on porting their old games to pc.

Them supporting ps4 right now and for years to come of course makes sense. I'm not going to disagree with Jim on that. The issue was they didn't make it clear at the start that these games were coming to both ps4 and ps5. It wouldn't have mattered that much honestly if they had just said so at the beginning since we would have been able to see the difference in the graphics of the game.

Like Quest was saying they blatantly mislead folks. If everyone is believing that everything you show us is exclusive to a platform and you don't mention that it is going to your other platform then it is pretty much lying. I can understand them not mentioning a game not coming to switch, pc, and xbox since those aren't their platforms but not mentioning your very own platform is just plain trashy. They rode that ps5 exclusive goodwill for months and had journalists, youtuber, an forum posters use that as a positive for ps and negative pr for xbox. They knew what they were doing that is why they gave out the info that the games were coming to ps4 several months later.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Good to hear.

Any chance of a reboot of Colony Wars? It's crazy that franchise hasn't seen the light of day since the PS1.

yurinka

On PC I honestly think they are going to be porting ps5 games on to pc before this gen is over.

I'm only basing my thoughts on studio growth and video game releases based off of what they released this year. Games take longer to make and are far larger these days so I'm going to take a wait and see approach on these games. Most of the studios from what I can see is still less than 300 employees. Plus now they have to work on porting their old games to pc.

Them supporting ps4 right now and for years to come of course makes sense. I'm not going to disagree with Jim on that. The issue was they didn't make it clear at the start that these games were coming to both ps4 and ps5. It wouldn't have mattered that much honestly if they had just said so at the beginning since we would have been able to see the difference in the graphics of the game.

Like Quest was saying they blatantly mislead folks. If everyone is believing that everything you show us is exclusive to a platform and you don't mention that it is going to your other platform then it is pretty much lying. I can understand them not mentioning a game not coming to switch, pc, and xbox since those aren't their platforms but not mentioning your very own platform is just plain trashy. They rode that ps5 exclusive goodwill for months and had journalists, youtuber, an forum posters use that as a positive for ps and negative pr for xbox. They knew what they were doing that is why they gave out the info that the games were coming to ps4 several months later.
I also think they will port PS5 to PC, but before that I think they will port several PS4 games. First, to use it as a hook to sell their PS5 sequels. Second, because they would release PS5 games on PC 2 or 3 years after releasing them on PC, once they already sold in PS5 all the units they could and once they even included them on PS Plus/Now.

Regarding their studios, think that Bend were around 50-60 people when they started to work on Days Gone. They were like 3 times bigger when they released the game. They are bigger now. Think also that their studio staff aren't the only ones who work in the games. There's also that team Sony has for the cutscenes, people in other Sony offices in charge of localization, Q&A, marketing, PR, legal, CM, customer support, etc.

Plus like any other AAA studio they outsource a ton of work to som other studio who can help them or to external outsourcing companies. According to Moby Games 1679 are listed in the Days Gone credits, so around less than 10% of them were from Bend.

If the Bloomberg article was right, after Days Gone Bend was working on the Factions 2 game helping ND and on an Uncharted spin-off overviewed by ND, and later they stopped working on a Bend new IP. So yes, seems they can work in two games at the same time. According to this article in addition to this two projects ND was also doingTLOU 2 PS5 plus first overviewing and supporting the TLOU remake that was being made by the San Diego cutscenes team and later leading that remake once Hermen Hulst got promoted saw and didn't like the remake and its budget.

Looking at job offers and stuff like that we know that Guerrilla is working in multiple games at the same time, Santa Monica maybe too, and we know Insomniac work in multiple games at the same time since these folks release a new game every year or so.

And these are just the leaked/rumored/hinted projects we know they are very likely real. They may have more games in adition to these ones since they have been growing in the recent years and Jimbo said they plan to continue growing them. And then then have 2nd and 3rd party exclusives: PlayStation made more money in 2020 than they ever did before, so it wouldn't cost too much to throw a lot of money to many external studios, and we know it's happening.

Due to a report for investors, we know they paid over $300M for upcoming 2nd party stuff only in the period that goes from April to December of 2020. Due to the Capcom leak we know a 3rd party huge AAA marketing deal for RE8 costed them $5M. Let's say they spend more on 2nd party to partly fund it's development and that these payments during these 9 months obviously were only part of the total money they spend on each game: with $300M they could pay $50M to 5 AAA 2nd party games and $5M to 10 AA 2nd party games. And this is less than the money they spent in only 9 months.

So yes, looking at facts and hints seems it's true what Jimbo says: at least in the 1st and 2nd party side seems they will have more exclusives than they ever had. And this is without considering possible acquisitions plus 3rd party AAA and indie exclusives.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
What are you on about? Jim Ryan says some worthless words and you're kneeling down polishing his shoes 😅 let's see what they actually produce yeah? So far they've been losing developers not gaining them.
Sony actually are gaining developers too. A Naughty Dog dev just returned and a Blizzard dev is now at Insomniac Games. They've also been quietly staffing up, Polyphony Digital even has more devs at the studio now

What are you on about? Jim Ryan says some worthless words and you're kneeling down polishing his shoes 😅 let's see what they actually produce yeah? So far they've been losing developers not gaining them.
Quick someone post that picture of Phil saying this e3 with all the years crossed out.

skit_data

Sony actually are gaining developers too. A Naughty Dog dev just returned and a Blizzard dev is now at Insomniac Games. They've also been quietly staffing up, Polyphony Digital even has more devs at the studio now
Dont’t tell him Drew Murray (Design director of The Initiative and one of the 3 people interviewed in the reboot of Perfect Dark reveal) is back at Insomniac

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Dont’t tell him Drew Murray (Design director of The Coalition and one of the 3 people interviewed in the reboot of Perfect Dark reveal) is back at Insomniac
🔥 How could I forget that one 💪 but yeah for some reason people don't know that Sony still has a few thousands of developers

All this talk is useless.
To make this quote worthy for me Sony will have to drop one or both of these bombs:

MGS series remake exclusive for PS5 for at least a few years.
GTA6 exclusive for PS5 for at least a few years.

Not just console exclusive either :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom