• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan and the denigration of Playstation.

Royal-Slime

Banned
So amusing that Xbox is crashing the hardest it is ever been, and the one in charge get an award for it. While the one in charge of continued success of Playstation is being attacked forallegedly doing everything wrong.

I have a feeling that somehow listening to NeoGaf is a very bad idea if you run a console platform.
They're hyping up Phil Spencer because he does seem like a gamer and more customer-friendly. "Next-gen delivery" aka "free next-gen versions" is here thanks to Xbox's push. Cross-play was pushed primarily by Xbox. Xbox Series S seems like it's not needed but it's very important long-term because people who aren't gamers are more likely to buy Series S on a whim than Series X when the console will hit the stores. It's one thing buying 299$ console on a whim and another buying X for 500$. PS5 had to do this, too but 400$ is still not very attractive psychologically. Game Pass is a good achievement, as well, and the fact that games like Dragon Quest XI, older Final Fantasy games are on Game Pass is basically an ad campaign that promotes the popularity of the series. People are always avoiding these games but having a free version with a pretty cover-art might get people into the series and increase sales for new titles.

There are good things that Phil Spencer has done and compared to Xbox One's initial doings, Xbox is in a much better state. Xbox just needs to drop that "we don't do console wars anymore" motto and invest into really good games, not that junk they've shown and produced starting with Xbox One gen. I consider myself a person with a diverse taste, I'm not limited to Japanese style of games or Western style, I can appreciate Fallout New Vegas and then go play Final Fantasy XIV - totally opposite styles. And yet not a single Xbox game interests me. Ori was close but I don't like metroidvanias (except Bloodstained). They don't have anything that appeals to people meanwhile Sony has something for everyone and every type of audience.

yurinka

They're hyping up Phil Spencer because he does seem like a gamer and more customer-friendly. "Next-gen delivery" aka "free next-gen versions" is here thanks to Xbox's push. Cross-play was pushed primarily by Xbox. Xbox Series S seems like it's not needed but it's very important long-term because people who aren't gamers are more likely to buy Series S on a whim than Series X when the console will hit the stores. It's one thing buying 299$ console on a whim and another buying X for 500$. PS5 had to do this, too but 400$ is still not very attractive psychologically. Game Pass is a good achievement, as well, and the fact that games like Dragon Quest XI, older Final Fantasy games are on Game Pass is basically an ad campaign that promotes the popularity of the series. People are always avoiding these games but having a free version with a pretty cover-art might get people into the series and increase sales for new titles.

There are good things that Phil Spencer has done and compared to Xbox One's initial doings, Xbox is in a much better state. Xbox just needs to drop that "we don't do console wars anymore" motto and invest into really good games, not that junk they've shown and produced starting with Xbox One gen. I consider myself a person with a diverse taste, I'm not limited to Japanese style of games or Western style, I can appreciate Fallout New Vegas and then go play Final Fantasy XIV - totally opposite styles. And yet not a single Xbox game interests me. Ori was close but I don't like metroidvanias (except Bloodstained). They don't have anything that appeals to people meanwhile Sony has something for everyone and every type of audience.
I agree MS improved with Spencer, but most of these 'customer friendly' MS things are basically themselves doing their own version of stuff that Sony did before and they didn't have with their own tweak to catch up. "Next gen delivery" aka "free next-gen version" was already done before by Sony under the name of cross-buy between PSP/PS3/Vita/PS4. Game Pass (so xCloud too) was also made before by Sony with PS Now and Remote Play. They also bought many studios to catch up their 1st party offering.

I assume the next MS step once the studios they bought in the last years are properly integrated into MS, and Gamepass and xCloud become properly integrated in the market, they will buy someone to have their own PSVR.

yurinka

There’s a reason JRPGs are thriving on Switch and dwindling on PlayStation. It’s gotten so bad that NISA isn’t even localizing Disgaea for PlayStation, only on Switch. PlayStation’s more of an American brand than Microsoft at this point.
Bullshit. All the recent big seller JRPGs are on PlayStation and not in Switch, or are in both. Final Fantasy VII Remake, Final Fantasy XIV, XV and XIV. Persona 5 and Persona 5 Royale. Tales of. Kingdom Hearts 3...

The publisher of each JRPG decide if they localize them or not, and to publish them in the west or not. Jim Ryan or PlayStation (or Nintendo) have nothing to do with that unless they are the publisher of the game. And when they are the publisher, they are properly localized.

If a small publisher like NISA decides to don't publish or localize a game in the west is because they estimate that its sales will be too low to compensate it. If they decide to publish it in Switch instead of in PS knowing PS4 has a way bigger install base than Switch in the west maybe it's because they know there are way more big seller JRPGs on PS4 so the competition will be harder so their sales lower.

And no, Sony is a Japanese company who published, developed a ton of Japanese games, and their console also got also a ton of 3rd party big sellers in Japan.

I have my gripes with Jim Ryan. I wish he wasn't so against backwards compatibility. I wish he improved PS Now and worked to improve the streaming quality so the PS3 games could actually be playable without suffering lag. He has his problems, but I have to admit, he's so much better than Shawn Layden. So many games are coming out next year, so many third party exclusives were made, and PlayStation has never been this successful before. He's doing a great job managing a business and the Japanese gaming industry just isn't doing as great as it was five years ago.
PS5 is backwards compatible with almost all PS4 (which includes more PS2 games than OG Xbox are supported by XBO/XSX BC) and PSVR games. The PS3 can't be properly emulated even in NASA PCs. Where did he said he is against BC?

Regarding PS Now, they already mentioned plans to improve it for this next gen in several stages (some of them are already done like improving the PSN speed infrastructure, to include hardware to improve the streaming, to open it in more countries, etc) and Jim said there will be news about it soonish which should be related to the remaining plans (to update their codec to improve streaming quality and speed, to continue improving the content offerings (that includes adding next gen games) and also to continue tweaking the pricing (even if they did it last year) and business model (they weren't so clear here but sounded like they plan to include a Stadia like option to purchase games for streaming, a 3rd purchase option added to physical and digital download, focused to allow people who don't own a PS5 to buy PS5 games while, but also maybe allowing to have new games on streaming since launch days but in a profitable way for both them and the devs.

Last edited:

base

Banned
6okMnQF.jpg

Royal-Slime

Banned
I agree MS improved with Spencer, but most of these 'customer friendly' MS things are basically themselves doing their own version of stuff that Sony did before and they didn't have with their own tweak to catch up. "Next gen delivery" aka "free next-gen version" was already done before by Sony under the name of cross-buy between PSP/PS3/Vita/PS4. Game Pass (so xCloud too) was also made before by Sony with PS Now and Remote Play. They also bought many studios to catch up their 1st party offering.

I assume the next MS step once the studios they bought in the last years are properly integrated into MS, and Gamepass and xCloud become properly integrated in the market, they will buy someone to have their own PSVR.
I think they would do VR by themsleves or maybe just do partnership with Oculus. Seems like the best option considering how low-priced Oculust is nowadays.

Kenji Ramon

You calling him an idiot is quite ironic. This man has been with PlayStation for decades and made EU such a stronghold. The PS5 just released with one of the best launch games in PS history as well as with the best launch sales in PS history I think he knows what he’s doing. A few weebs won’t change that.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Nah... Xbox has been empty promises with Spencer. He's been hyping up the lineup and E3 every year since he started but Xbox One kept getting worse and worse in software. Gamepass is great but a subscription only compliments good continuous software, it doesn't make up for it. Series X has less momentum from X1 than X1 did with 360 and the 360s last years sucked.

Last edited:
So, you are saying just because you personally don’t like Japanese games, other shouldn’t enjoy on their PlayStation systems?

For fuck sake! what the fuck is wrong with people these days?
“If I don’t like it, then it doesn’t need to exist” mentality is becoming more common.

Some people have a very narrow taste in game genres. Its a shame, but that's on them.

Playstation used to have nice selection of both western and Japanese first party games, its what made it much more attractive choice compare to Xbox.

At least we got some decent games while Playstation was mostly run with a Japanese philosophy in mind. I don't have much confidence in where Jim Ryan is taking it. If anything, he's probably about to fundamentally rebrand the image of Playstation for the sake of modernity. Even moreso than they did with the PS4.

Last edited:

wd40

As we know, Playstation has been a brand where it has had many games, especially original and unique games.

These times have unfortunately changed since this nefarious man named Jim Ryan arrived.

670615.jpg

This idiot is not interested in the Japanese market, nor its productions, he has completely destroyed such a wonderful studio as Japan Studio, he has turned Playstation games into Hollywood products, with a denigration in the sagas, productions that have put the SWJ , where wonderful games like The last of us, have been decayed in a sequel that is not up to the first game.

The decadent way in which he treats Japanese productions, not to say discriminatory, the fact of censoring Japanese games for nonsense, but respecting the rawness of animal cruelty in The last of us Part II, as well as its sexual scenes, this wants say the great denigration it has towards the free artistic style of Japanese productions.

This stupid Jim Ryan has made dire decisions, launching the ps5 console in times of pandemic where not only does it not have games that sell consoles, but there are also no Next-Gen productions, and the limited availability of consoles that exist.

Poor hardware quality on PS5 where there have been problems with yellow cases on some models or freezes.

Total repudiation of this person for his foolish decisions
do u play video games or are you from /pol/?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Right not continuing a series that didn't sell well, and making horizon and a new IP that is unannounced is stupid?
Yes.

That is why the brand has grown a lot, due to its franchises and the variety of its catalog.
The playstation brand has been recognized for having a lot of variety in its catalog. And excuse me, but Killzone sold well and have a lot of fans.

wd40

Yes.

That is why the brand has grown a lot, due to its franchises and the variety of its catalog.
The playstation brand has been recognized for having a lot of variety in its catalog. And excuse me, but Killzone sold well and have a lot of fans.
lad there was like 6 killzone games, it had a good run and now its over.

wd40

The Killzone universe is interesting with good science fiction elements.

Could be great a Movie of Horizon and Killzone. or at least a tv show
I don't think theres any need for more killzone stuff, it'd be cool but it's like infamous or sly or jak now. its over and it was really good.

Heimdall_Xtreme

What if I told you that Jim Ryan just greenlighted Gravity Rush 3, Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme ?
I would give him a second chance without a doubt.

It's like Capcom, which was very down and when I released Resident Evil 7 and Monster Hunter World, their popularity increased, something similar could happen.

But if he continues to remove franchises, not giving importance to the market and the Japanese games and implementing The "Correct Policy" measures, my thought to him will be the same.

Papacheeks

Banned
Yes.

It had a couple entries do well, but Killzone 3, mercenary, liberation, did not do super well. And even it being a launch title, shadowfall did less than other entries let alone other launch titles.

They failed to create a compelling fleshed out universe like something akin to halo. It had some high points, I liked killzone 3 locations, and killzone 2 had a good villain. But in terms of world building it kind of fell flat. And because it didn't resonate like something to halo, they couldnt appeal to a wider audience like halo in it's height was able to do.
ANd Sony you should be thanking them for managing their studio well enough that their studio wanted to take their talent in creating shooting mechanics and unique mechanical design to a new ip. So we got horizon, while not perfect, is a great first foray in making a new IP from a studio that had made the same game for almost 10 years.

If you want these studios to go the way of the dodo then let them handle them like MS handles's it's ips and they will make countless sequels to aging franchises that surely need a break. You would be even more depressed by the ladder.
I know it sucks Studio like Japan studio are not making the games we fell in love in with the PS2, PS3 era anymore. But it's not like they didn't give it a shot. Sony saw the potential in gravity rush. So they brought it to PS4, and gave them much larger budget for gravity rush 2 which did not sell. Neither did the remaster.

So after 2 attempts what do you do? Look at what happened to Evolution studios and liver pool. They basically made the same games for a decade and both studios are now closed. It was up to them if they wanted to make something different, and honestly I think at that point Sony should have interviened a little, but if you look at where those people are now? They left to go to codemasters made a game that bombed, and now codemasters is trying to sell.
MS seems to have lightened up alittle and have people like playground games making different stuff.

Look at Nintendo? They have all these 3DS developers under one roof and all we have gotten are literally spin offs and sequels to same franchises.
I UNDERSSTAND from your taste and point of view that creativly you want more gravity rush, folklore, killzone. But reality is those games had their chance and didnt do well and studios are given choice to work on whatever they want sony doesnt force them to make anything.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

It had a couple entries do well, but Killzone 3, mercenary, liberation, did not do super well. And even it being a launch title, shadowfall did less than other entries let alone other launch titles.

They failed to create a compelling fleshed out universe like something akin to halo. It had some high points, I liked killzone 3 locations, and killzone 2 had a good villain. But in terms of world building it kind of fell flat. And because it didn't resonate like something to halo, they couldnt appeal to a wider audience like halo in it's height was able to do.
ANd Sony you should be thanking them for managing their studio well enough that their studio wanted to take their talent in creating shooting mechanics and unique mechanical design to a new ip. So we got horizon, while not perfect, is a great first foray in making a new IP from a studio that had made the same game for almost 10 years.

If you want these studios to go the way of the dodo then let them handle them like MS handles's it's ips and they will make countless sequels to aging franchises that surely need a break. You would be even more depressed by the ladder.
I know it sucks Studio like Japan studio are not making the games we fell in love in with the PS2, PS3 era anymore. But it's not like they didn't give it a shot. Sony saw the potential in gravity rush. So they brought it to PS4, and gave them much larger budget for gravity rush 2 which did not sell. Neither did the remaster.

So after 2 attempts what do you do? Look at what happened to Evolution studios and liver pool. They basically made the same games for a decade and both studios are now closed. It was up to them if they wanted to make something different, and honestly I think at that point Sony should have interviened a little, but if you look at where those people are now? They left to go to codemasters made a game that bombed, and now codemasters is trying to sell.
MS seems to have lightened up alittle and have people like playground games making different stuff.

Look at Nintendo? They have all these 3DS developers under one roof and all we have gotten are literally spin offs and sequels to same franchises.
I UNDERSSTAND from your taste and point of view that creativly you want more gravity rush, folklore, killzone. But reality is those games had their chance and didnt do well and studios are given choice to work on whatever they want sony doesnt force them to make anything.
Look at this.

• 1. [PS4] Gravity Rush 2 – 74,361 / Nuevo
  • 2. [3DS] Poochy & Yoshi’s Woolly World – 39,555 / Nuevo
  • 3. [PS4] Valkyrie Revolution – 38,197 / Nuevo
  • 4. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 – 22.758 / 160,555
  • 5. [3DS] Pokemon Sun/Moon – 21,036 / 3,092,2776
  • 6. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki – 20,831 / 629,229
  • 7. [PSV] Valkyrie Revolution – 18,219 / Nuevo
  • 8. [PSV] New Danganronpa V3 – 15,943 / 92,110
  • 9. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for 3DS – 14,285 / 928,969
  • 10. [3DS] Momotaro Dentetsu 2017: Tachiagare Nippon!! – 8,638 / 269,727
  • 11. [PS4] New Danganronpa V3 – 7,955 / 47,961
  • 12. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V (4,990 Yen Edition) – 74,56 / 252,874
  • 13. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition – 6,824 / 1,090,208
  • 14. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV – 5,859 / 23,632
  • 15. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf – Welcome amiibo – 5,033 / 112,797
  • 16. [3DS] Miitopia – 4,775 / 156,947
  • 17. [PSV] Hana Oboro: Sengoku Denranki – 4,522 / Nuevo
  • 18. [WIU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition – 3,732 / 279,716
  • 19. [PS4] Battlefield 1 – 3,432 / 252,485
  • 20. [PS4] Watch Dogs 2 – 3,037 / 105,648

If only Sony had given marketing to their games, it would be different.

But they put a stupid in charge, and here's the result.

And even worse things are coming for Playstation while this idiot Jim Ryan is in charge of the brand.

What he did to Japan Studio, I can't forgive him for that.

Pejo

Look at this.

• 1. [PS4] Gravity Rush 2 – 74,361 / Nuevo
  • 2. [3DS] Poochy & Yoshi’s Woolly World – 39,555 / Nuevo
  • 3. [PS4] Valkyrie Revolution – 38,197 / Nuevo
  • 4. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 – 22.758 / 160,555
  • 5. [3DS] Pokemon Sun/Moon – 21,036 / 3,092,2776
  • 6. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki – 20,831 / 629,229
  • 7. [PSV] Valkyrie Revolution – 18,219 / Nuevo
  • 8. [PSV] New Danganronpa V3 – 15,943 / 92,110
  • 9. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for 3DS – 14,285 / 928,969
  • 10. [3DS] Momotaro Dentetsu 2017: Tachiagare Nippon!! – 8,638 / 269,727
  • 11. [PS4] New Danganronpa V3 – 7,955 / 47,961
  • 12. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V (4,990 Yen Edition) – 74,56 / 252,874
  • 13. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition – 6,824 / 1,090,208
  • 14. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV – 5,859 / 23,632
  • 15. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf – Welcome amiibo – 5,033 / 112,797
  • 16. [3DS] Miitopia – 4,775 / 156,947
  • 17. [PSV] Hana Oboro: Sengoku Denranki – 4,522 / Nuevo
  • 18. [WIU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition – 3,732 / 279,716
  • 19. [PS4] Battlefield 1 – 3,432 / 252,485
  • 20. [PS4] Watch Dogs 2 – 3,037 / 105,648

If only Sony had given marketing to their games, it would be different.

But they put a stupid in charge, and here's the result.

And even worse things are coming for Playstation while this idiot Jim Ryan is in charge of the brand.

What he did to Japan Studio, I can't forgive him for that.
If you decide to start a "port Gravity Rush 1/2 to PC" campaign, I will sign the petition.

Bryank75

Banned
List (of things that have pissed me off so far)

Raised game prices to 80 euro
Put exclusives on PC
Shut down 90% of Japan studio
Lost exclusivity of Yakuza and we already see question being asked by Atlus
We believe in generations gaffe - next gen games turn out to be cross gen
further plans to put games on PC
Terrible communication, no fan outreach
Shut down the video service which I used
Shut down communities which I used a lot
Disregard for Japan
No memory upgrade options months after promising to have
UI on PS5 feels incredibly lonely, no posts on each others pages, no communities and friends list wayyyy over in a box after multiple button psuhes
Poor and unexciting State of Plays
No response to Zenimax buyout, no communication to say what they plan to do...

Jim Ryan needs to be removed and I really have suspicions that Kenechiro Yoshida may have sold out the PlayStation division to Satya Nadella when they met. (Why would they need to meet over a cloud contract?) (Why were the PlayStation staff not informed?)

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

Put exclusives on PC
Disregard for Japan
UI on PS5 feels incredibly lonely, no posts on each others pages, no communities and friends list wayyyy over in a box after multiple button psuhes

Jim Ryan needs to be removed and I really have suspicions that Kenechiro Yoshida may have sold out the PlayStation division to Satya Nadella when they met. (Why would they need to meet over a cloud contract?) (Why were the PlayStation staff not informed?)

TLDR: Jim Ryan shut down initiatives that were losing Sony money. He should be removed and Sony should start supporting more holes in the ship because me me me.

PhaseJump

Banned
Dear Nefarious Jim,

Keep up the good work.

Sincerely,
The stupid asshole with the PS3 updates downloading so he can play all the old PS1 and PS2 games that the PS4 and PS5 can't.

Bryank75

Banned
TLDR: Jim Ryan shut down initiatives that were losing Sony money. He should be removed and Sony should start supporting more holes in the ship because me me me.
Games were already making money, I don't see how offering films could be so costly...
Many of the mistakes are just PR and incompetence IMO

Most of the moves have made the platform less exciting, less dynamic and less interesting. It's not just about pure profit....

He needs to capture peoples imaginations and create excitement. Niche offerings are important too.
I mean, he can offer a COD and Fifa box and cut every other game if he just wants to go after profit.

Pejo

Well I mean if you care about playing fun games and particularly JP games, yes. Why would a gamer care if stuff like JP Studio was loss leading, if it brought more depth to the PS library. If you're sticking up for the decisions he made, I hope you at least own some stock in Sony, otherwise it's just corporate bootlicking.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Well I mean if you care about playing fun games and particularly JP games, yes. Why would a gamer care if stuff like JP Studio was loss leading, if it brought more depth to the PS library. If you're sticking up for the decisions he made, I hope you at least own some stock in Sony, otherwise it's just corporate bootlicking.

There aren't enough fans of Japanese developed games to keep them afloat.

Western game developers understand the world market. Japan is stuck in some bizarre time warp.

Jim Ryan is shifting resources from loss leaders to initiatives with greater potential.

Ideally, all this happens 10-15 years ago, but now is better than never.

Interfectum

Put exclusives on PC
Disregard for Japan

A little dramatic but you basically nailed it.

Short term Jim Ryan is making Sony money and console sales. Long term they are more of a mess...
- Their Japanese developer edge over Xbox is weakening
- Their PC offering is haphazard with no connectivity or tether back to the PlayStation ecosystem (no PSN, no cross save, no cross play, etc)
- PS Now is another confusing / confused service
- Zero regard for their legacy titles outside of cheerleading PlayStation history in Astrobot
- PS5 UI is a clusterfuck
- $70 first party games will absolutely bite Sony in the ass coming up

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
WHat counts at the end of the day is sales and profits not console walled gardens. If Jim Ryan and the rest of the execs think it's better for Sony to expand to other platforms and shut down small Japan studios because it grows the bottom line, thats the right call. PS4 (and so far the early stages of PS5) were homeruns, so they will keep it going. Jim Ryan already said more PC games are coming.

Think of it like Apple.

In the 80s to the early 2000s, it was all about being this walled garden of elitists happy with their 2% market share. Apple management says fucks this, goes the Intel route, allows Windows and Office to work on Macs, launches iPod and iTunes which work on PC, and every gadget they've released since aims at a mainstream market.

High price yes, but marketing and availability Apple shit is everywhere. There is no more snobbiness anymore when they got the bucks rolling in.

If it means they piss off Apple purists from the 80s and 90s so grandma in 2021 buys an iPad, Apple management is selling to grandma.

Roufianos

He seems like an out of touch cunt but we're yet to see him do any real harm beyond the ridiculous game pricing.

He could well end up being Sony's Don Mattrick.

Put exclusives on PC
Disregard for Japan

You kinda got me until "yoshida sold division to satya" lmao

Heimdall_Xtreme

WHat counts at the end of the day is sales and profits not console walled gardens. If Jim Ryan and the rest of the execs think it's better for Sony to expand to other platforms and shut down small Japan studios because it grows the bottom line, thats the right call. PS4 (and so far the early stages of PS5) were homeruns, so they will keep it going. Jim Ryan already said more PC games are coming.

Think of it like Apple.

In the 80s to the early 2000s, it was all about being this walled garden of elitists happy with their 2% market share. Apple management says fucks this, goes the Intel route, allows Windows and Office to work on Macs, launches iPod and iTunes which work on PC, and every gadget they've released since aims at a mainstream market.

High price yes, but marketing and availability Apple shit is everywhere. There is no more snobbiness anymore when they got the bucks rolling in.

If it means they piss off Apple purists from the 80s and 90s so grandma in 2021 buys an iPad, Apple management is selling to grandma.
Japan studio was not a small company and of course Jim Ryan is not doing a good job.

He is a traitor, and what he should do is support the Japanese properly.

The very stupid Jim Ryan believes that with cell-type games and Battle royale is enough for the market, he is obviously very wrong.

PhaseJump

Banned
Japan studio was not a small company and of course Jim Ryan is not doing a good job.

He is a traitor, and what he should do is support the Japanese properly.

The very stupid Jim Ryan believes that with cell-type games and Battle royale is enough for the market, he is obviously very wrong.

giphy.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Put exclusives on PC
Disregard for Japan

Most of that stuff the average gamer doesn't care about and some points were basically duplicates. The biggest one might be the bump up in game prices as that affects everyone, but going by forum sentiment and PS5 sales and game sales, seems to have done nothing.

Some of the other points like UI is likely a non issue because I dont think gamers buy a system for the UI.

State of Plays are shit. But so are Xbox shows and Nintendo Direct. These quarterly digital shows console makers churn out all seem to be trash.

No sure what you want them to do about Zenimax aside from rush and buy a studio to go toe to toe.

Bryank75

Banned
Most of that stuff the average gamer doesn't care about and some points were basically duplicates. The biggest one might be the bump up in game prices as that affects everyone, but going by forum sentiment and PS5 sales and game sales, seems to have done nothing.

Some of the other points like UI is likely a non issue because I dont think gamers buy a system for the UI.

State of Plays are shit. But so are Xbox shows and Nintendo Direct. These quarterly digital shows console makers churn out all seem to be trash.

No sure what you want them to do about Zenimax aside from rush and buy a studio to go toe to toe.
A studio would be pointless and I would honestly be even more disappointed if they think a studio is enough anymore.

Many of the points stem from poor communication.

But the combination of games going to PC and a price rise was incredibly greedy, they should have picked one... I wouldn't mind taking the 10 euro hit if everything remains fully exclusive. But he wants to have his cake and eat it.

Mostly his management is defined by greed and poor communication. A strong disregard for PS core fans.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
A studio would be pointless and I would honestly be even more disappointed if they think a studio is enough anymore.

Many of the points stem from poor communication.

But the combination of games going to PC and a price rise was incredibly greedy, they should have picked one... I wouldn't mind taking the 10 euro hit if everything remains fully exclusive. But he wants to have his cake and eat it.

Mostly his management is defined by greed and poor communication. A strong disregard for PS core fans.
Business is business and every year the goal is growth. Typically companies have a handful of key options assuming they all grow $$$:

- Status quo hoping for natural growth
- Expand distribution
- Expand product line
- Cut costs
- Price increase
- A combination of any of the above

NickFire

Put exclusives on PC
Disregard for Japan

Some of those items don't bother me. I really don't care about the PC ports, closing devs they don't value the output from, etc. But a few are shared. The price increases haven't struck me as justified from a consumer standpoint yet. The claim about generations sounded great but was quickly refuted by their actual plans imo. Memory options are taking way too long. And the silence is a head scratcher. I'm not chicken little believing Sony is in trouble, but why aren't they at least trying to maintain momentum with game news?

Top Bottom