• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez on the future of Xbox (rumour)

Yes, it appears that Microsoft is changing Xbox. No longer a traditional console with exclucives, but a platform like steam, while maintaining hardware. Maybe Satya figured owning all those studios without a popular console to sell them on wasn’t sustainable, so he made it sustainable. Now they are gonna chase steam

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
So this is how they plan on sunsetting Xbox consoles? Well at least they are taking a more transitional approach compared to what we've seen in the past with Zune and the like.

What I find to be the most hilarious thing about all of this is the fact that they are easing their userbase towards being PC gamers and they can't even see it. In fact, they are excited about the prospect.

Who knew, all it took was a for a gaming PC or handheld PC to have an Xbox logo on it and it would be all good. Custom PC builders kicking themselves right now.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
"Xbox hardware will be niche like Steam Deck"
Steam Deck offered something other platforms didn't when it originally launched - being able to play most Steam games and use more demanding emulators on a handheld device. Who'd buy a new Xbox hardware knowing that all games are on pc AND PlayStation?
The only thing going for it could be the price, because even now buying an XSX is much cheaper than building a decent gaming PC.
I think it’s referring to not being purchasable at retail. Would work if they want to let you customise however you want. Order it, they build it, then send it. Nothing kept on shelves.

Last edited:

Fabieter

It's interesting. We're likely to see two distinct approaches to handhelds in the coming years from Microsoft and Sony, but the key difference will be Microsoft's handheld will be a portable PC while Sony's while be a Portable PlayStation.

Ironically, Microsoft's handheld will likely play PlayStation games on it, UNLESS Sony pulls their current or future games from Steam and pushes for their own PC storefront and prevents that storefront from running on Microsoft's handheld, which will be difficult to do.

Sony will probably have an advantage in Asia and Europe, but ultimately depending on price, they might be outmaneuvered. They will really have to win out on price and volume.

Will be really interesting what'd their strategy going to be with porting games if Microsoft is becoming more like pc. If ms is doing pc hardware plus a handheld they might even sell better than playstation in Asia and have all playstation games on top of it.

Will be really interesting what'd their strategy going to be with porting games if Microsoft is becoming more like pc. If ms is doing pc hardware plus a handheld they might even sell better than playstation in Asia and have all playstation games on top of it.
PC is popular in Asia due to versatility.

I doubt xbox will do all that.

Fabieter

PC is popular in Asia due to versatility.

I doubt xbox will do all that.

Portable PC gaming is super important in Asia. Sony might have a big problem going forward. Switch 2 is gonna be stronger competition. I know alot of people who had ps3s and ps4s which don't buy sony consoles anymore because they get most japanese games on Switch now. Sony is also loosing more and more players to mobile and pc and I dont see that changing with their current strategy. So if Xbox is going this route it might steal even more of sonys cake.

And like we saw in the paramount rumor. Sony isn't willing to really help their gaming division dominate like it used to. Sony is gonna fuck this up big time.

Portable PC gaming is super important in Asia. Sony might have a big problem going forward. Switch 2 is gonna be stronger competition. I know alot of people who had ps3s and ps4s which don't buy sony consoles anymore because they get most japanese games on Switch now. Sony is also loosing more and more players to mobile and pc and I dont see that changing with their current strategy. So if Xbox is going this route it might steal even more of sonys cake.

And like we saw in the paramount rumor. Sony isn't willing to really help their gaming division dominate like it used to. Sony is gonna fuck this up big time.

Asian AAA games are skipping Switch and XBOX. That includes big gacha games with console/PC versions. As long as Switch 2 is heavily underpowered, I can't see it as a true competitor to Sony.

Fabieter

Asian AAA games are skipping Switch and XBOX. That includes big gacha games with console/PC versions. As long as Switch 2 is heavily underpowered, I can't see it as a true competitor to Sony.

Most of this big games running on steam deck already and with dlss and extra optimisation on a console I don't see how switch 2 won't perform better than steamdeck.

xrnzaaas

I think it’s referring to not being purchasable at retail. Would work if they want to let you customise however you want. Order it, they build it, then send it. Nothing kept on shelves.
That would make it even more niche. Valve can do that, because Steam Deck is a desirable piece of hardware (remember how long it took to get one from the first batch?). Unless they made some drastic changes (like introduce a proper Xbox handheld) Microsoft would be selling hardware no one really wants. Avoiding retail stores would also mean losing casual customers who might consider buying a cheap Xbox for their kids for Christmas, birthday etc.

Last edited:

Jimmy_liv

The issue is still the same as it has been since Phil got involved, 15 years plus and they still have very few must have AAA killer games.

Software sells hardware which in turn sells more software. It's so clear.

Still trying to fix a software problem with hardware.

Last edited:
Welcome to the next stage of War
vrywKRP.png
Thing is many of us always knew this. Their main competitor is PC, meaning currently Steam. It's sad they just started to understand this. This is also the case for Sony. PC gaming could destroy them, it's currently making them weak. Their profits started to plunge the moment they started doing those PC ports.

There is a reason Nintendo is not releasing any of their games on PC. They know the moment they are releasing their Zelda and Mario on PC this would mean the end of their lucrative console business.

Holammer

MS should make a console form factor PC with a customized windows 11. It would keep users in their ecosystem and offer them an unprecedented games/software library and freedom for a console. MS isn't afraid to spend money, so drop the service fees and make cloud saves & multiplayer free. Use that money and trillion dollar company leverage to change what people expect from a console.

I say that a lot, but I also think they should take the Xbox brand and give it a tearful sendoff with both barrels. Get rid of 20 years of baggage and rebrand, a fresh modern new start and look. No longer Team Green, this is... Team Anchor Gray?

I think Sony would probably be largely fine with Xbox getting their games if they are purchased exclusively through their own storefront.

Sony would still get all of the same games for the most part, they'd play better on bespoke hardware, probably be cheaper, and more powerful for the price.

Microsoft has a bit of a doubled edged sword on its hands if they simply use Windows. It means they'll have to sell the hardware for profit, because they could potentially make 0 money on software and royalties.

Sony can sell their handheld at a small loss because it will only play PlayStation games.

"This is what they get, a Sony monopoly".

One last shot from the chamber, eh? I'm curious--how is it(inferring this comment) Sonys fault for Microsofts decisions when *checks notes*

Your first party offerings were non-existant or subpar.

You gambled on a Netflix model and hoped to continue to sell software/hardware.

You failed to generate substantial interest in the Japanese or European markets.

You went with a two-system model, forcing developers to make games for a weaker system which resulted in inadvertent PS exclusives like BG3 for several months

You bought two entire publishers and several developers in less than 4 years for BILLIONS, realized your ROI was going to be nil, because of the aforementioned and the courts would not allow you Call of Dutys as the golden goose at your table.

It's Sonys fault?

Ok.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
"This is what they get, a Sony monopoly".

One last shot from the chamber, eh? I'm curious--how is it(inferring this comment) Sonys fault for Microsofts decisions when *checks notes*

Your first party offerings were non-existant or subpar.

You gambled on a Netflix model and hoped to continue to sell software/hardware.

You failed to generate substantial interest in the Japanese or European markets.

You went with a two-system model, forcing developers to make games for a weaker system which resulted in inadvertent PS exclusives like BG3 for several months

You bought two entire publishers and several developers in less than 4 years for BILLIONS, realized your ROI was going to be nil, because of the aforementioned and the courts would not allow you Call of Dutys as the golden goose at your table.

It's Sonys fault?

Ok.

Jizz:
7O2n8XN.jpeg

Red5

I don't see why Xbox should stop making hardware, it's a place where they can make more revenue than by selling on third party hardware or storefronts. Xbox hardware should stay as complementary to their software releases.

People still buy TV boxes even though most TV's have built in streaming apps.

Why do people talk of the 360 generation as if it is the golden age of xbox? RROD and their subsequent lying about the matter was the true beginning of the end for the brand; console gamers got their introduction to the real msft. RROD followed by the xbox one launch reveal combined with PS learning their lessons from PS3 and it was game over.

TrebleShot

If this is true, then its one of the best moves xbox has ever considered,

They are building their own steam box and including xbox into it, I mean this is a big brain mode and I am very impressed if they go ahead with it.

Bringing their games to PS5 is a brilliant brilliant move.

Forza Horizon 4, 5 and Forza Motorsport on PS5 with cross progression across xbox, ps and PC maybe feeding into why Sony is building the launcher for PC.

If Nintendo follows it will get very awkward for Sony.

GHG

Gold Member
Why do people talk of the 360 generation as if it is the golden age of xbox? RROD and their subsequent lying about the matter was the true beginning of the end for the brand; console gamers got their introduction to the real msft. RROD followed by the xbox one launch reveal combined with PS learning their lessons from PS3 and it was game over.

It was the golden age from a software standpoint. People still talk about it because at the end of the day that's what matters, people remember the games associated with the hardware and that's where the emotional attachment is formed.

It's been rapidly downhill since then.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Yes i don't think they intentionally did it.
I am not gonna reorat myself about their mistakes and how they should have handled them, you are right, no time machine so no reason for that.

It's a shame if they become a third party. Personally i don't own an Xbox and was never intrigued to get one. But i need them for stronger competition.
You need stronger competition. That’s clearly not Xbox. Them existing for the sake of it is not going to do anything.

Bring back SEGA’s principles of “we’ll make our OWN shit to complete”. THAT is what it’s about.

It was the golden age from a software standpoint. People still talk about it because at the end of the day that's what matters, people remember the games associated with the hardware and that's where the emotional attachment is formed.

It's been rapidly downhill since then.
I disagree, the generation has to be looked at in totality. And Console gamers were fed up after rrod, any non-xbox fan whom dipped their toes in the water, knew it was their first and last generation with xbox.

They only had a software advantage because of launching a year early and rushing to market was the main variable which led to rrod

Last edited:

Elios83

Found this on reddit.

Jez on Future of Xbox

This is coming from XboxTwo discord and it’s a doozy:

“All Xbox first-party games coming to PlayStation, even Forza, Halo
- Xbox will be more Steam-like in the future
- Affordable prices, sales, more open for devs
- Future Xbox-Hardware gonna be for fans who want it
- Xbox hardware will be niche like Steam Deck
- Next Xbox will side-load Steam
- "I don't think they expect to ever grow in hardware"

he said "Nobody wanted to give Xbox a chance, so this is what they get with a Sony monopoly"

Reminder, the discord screenshot that floated around that detailed Indiana Jones likeness, and 1st POV ended up being correct. Jez tried to debunk it, but is looking like he’s wrong again

LINK:

Fucked up the title, meant to say future.

This has been obvious for a while.
They're migrating to the big third party publisher model while keeping Xbox a dedicated optional hardware line.
It's Nadella that pulled the plug. He wasn't that dumb to give the incompetent Phil 90 billions to burn. The investements served the purpose of turning Microsoft into a giant multiplatform gaming publisher which is the way they can really have success if they fix their quality control, creative and development issues across different studios.

Last edited:

midnightAI

If this is true, then its one of the best moves xbox has ever considered,

They are building their own steam box and including xbox into it, I mean this is a big brain mode and I am very impressed if they go ahead with it.

Bringing their games to PS5 is a brilliant brilliant move.

Forza Horizon 4, 5 and Forza Motorsport on PS5 with cross progression across xbox, ps and PC maybe feeding into why Sony is building the launcher for PC.

If Nintendo follows it will get very awkward for Sony.
Animated GIF

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I understand that point, in principle I agree. But this is not the death of Xbox, nor even Xbox hardware. It's more like a metamorphosis. So I see this as not only the death of the Xbox dinosaur, but eventually all dinosaurs. It is not going to stop with Xbox hardware. "Xbox" is going to survive, but in a different better format (IMO).

If there's any truth to the "sideloading Steam", it should be celebrated by everyone.

It's absolutely the death of Xbox as a hardware brand. It has been rendered absolutely pointless, with no USP whatsoever. That is not how you sell a product.

And consoles will continue to be a thing, because not everyone wants to game on PC. Sony will have a monopoly, and that's a terrible thing for consumers.

Microsoft's mistakes will make the video games industry a far worse place.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
Yes, it appears that Microsoft is changing Xbox. No longer a traditional console with exclucives, but a platform like steam, while maintaining hardware. Maybe Satya figured owning all those studios without a popular console to sell them on wasn’t sustainable, so he made it sustainable. Now they are gonna chase steam

Steam could use a decent competitor, and I'm not talking about Epic. This will improve PC gaming even more.

Denton

Xbox becoming living room PC with all the openness that entails will be great, as long as they can figure out how to do it with decent price point.

It's what Xbox should have been in the first place.

Last edited:
Interesting times ahead (not taking Jez’s latest tantrum into account, he needs to go outside a bit more) - I think in a couple of years the console market is going to have changed beyond anything we would recognise today.

I think it will be adapt or die time for Sony (for everyone really), but I’m sure the majority here disagree with that and will encourage them to double down on current tactics.

Can’t wait for June 9.

nemiroff

Gold Member
It's absolutely the death of Xbox as a hardware brand. It has been rendered absolutely pointless, with no USP whatsoever. That is not how you sell a product.

And consoles will continue to be a thing, because not everyone wants to game on PC. Sony will have a monopoly, and that's a terrible thing for consumers.

Microsoft's mistakes will make the video games industry a far worse place.

Nah. If MS would offer me a less proprietary style Xbox platform with Xbox + Steam (with Playstation titles) + more, then that's what my kids are getting over a PS5 any day, period.

This kind of value proposition would not be just anecdotal, it would be real for a lot more people than a dozen or so, so-to-speak..

Edit: I mean, this value proposition would without question put a lot more pressure on Sony than how the situation is today.

Last edited:

Kacho

At this point, I really only care about my games library carrying forward to future hardware. If that library exists and I'm still able to add new releases to it, why should I care?
This assumes they keep making hardware beyond the next generation. There will come a point where they pull the plug. Could be 10 years, could be 20. The uncertainty is why I stopped investing in that ecosystem last summer.

Another concern is if hardware sales become so bad third party releases stop being a sure fire thing because it’s no longer financially viable.

Interesting times ahead (not taking Jez’s latest tantrum into account, he needs to go outside a bit more) - I think in a couple of years the console market is going to have changed beyond anything we would recognise today.

I think it will be adapt or die time for Sony (for everyone really), but I’m sure the majority here disagree with that and will encourage them to double down on current tactics.

Can’t wait for June 9.
This is what I have been saying since the writing was on the wall in February. It's not a sure thing, but if you play out a few steps ahead into the future it is theoretically possible that Sony is actually not positioned well for the future.

1) MS: they will transition to 3rd party relatively smoothly. I'm sure there will be some pain, or shedding of staff as they find the right funding levels for their operations. But they're more 3rd party than 1st at this point, with Activision / Bethesda. They can exist without the 30% from all games from their store and not really change that much. Their 1st party stuff will sell well on PC and PS. They have resources to transition fairly seamlessly to a PC storefront, and they have a large mobile presence now. If consoles fully get phased out over the next decade, they're positioned to be the largest 3rd party publisher in the industry with a small hardware, PC store, cloud, and subscription presence as well with Gamepass.
2) Nintendo: I'm sure they will keep going with closed hardware. But if for some reason they actually had to change to 3rd party, they could. If anyone would get casuals to sign up on TVs for an app, it's Nintendo. It could potentially explode to the level of Netflix. Their games aren't super expensive to make, and they all sell well. They have universal appeal. They don't get a ton from major 3rd party sales on their store now anyway. They get some, but they could adapt.
3) Sony: They absolutely massively depend on 3rd party sales on their store to exist in their current form. Even with all that passive income from their closed ecosystem, and extremely strong console sales, they are still running thin profit margins. Their games take a long time to make, they're extremely expensive, and they don't put out tons of them. If for some unforseen reason they actually do have to transition out of consoles, they are very poorly positioned to be a 3rd party publisher exclusively and they would have a huge issue. They have some PC presence too, but they aren't positioned yet for a seamless transition to a PC storefront. They could be though if they invest in it.

So yeah, basically I think Sony's future heavily depends on consoles continuing to exist. If they don't, PS will still always be around. They're insanely popular, but they would be hit hard in a transition if they don't think about that now and start adjusting how they operate. All 3 will be around. Will consoles be around in 10 years though? I am a lot less confident about that.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Nah. If MS would offer me a less proprietary-style Xbox platform with Xbox + Steam (with Playstation titles) + more, then that's what my kids are getting over a PS5 any day, period.

This kind of value proposition would not be just anecdotal, it would be real for a more than a dozen people so-to-speak..

Edit: I mean, the value proposition would put a lot more pressure on Sony even as the market leader.

Your opinion (or mine for that matter) is irrelevant when discussing how a product performs in a marketplace.

If Microsoft continue to offer a games console that provides absolutely no exclusive content that can only be played on that console, it will die. This has been proved by the woeful performance of Series S and X.

They will continue to provide a niche level hardware service... and that is abject and utter failure for the brand and the company, given everything it has said and done for the last twenty years.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Steam could use a decent competitor, and I'm not talking about Epic. This will improve PC gaming even more.
Xbox have been focussed on PC since Xbox Play Anywhere was announced in 2016.

They’ve been talking about mobile being a true competitor for years as well.

What the they done in either space?

What killer software have they released?

What have they done to innovate in the space?

What have they done to compete with Steam, Epic and the major players in mobile etc?

The Windows gaming store, which is still appalling, has been their only answer (alongside buying King).

This is yet more bluster from Xbox, setting the scene so they can try to claim gaming is changing and only they are on the right path, which their evangelists will parrot.

The truth is nothing will change for Steam. Because as we’ve seen endlessly over the past 20 years, Microsoft can’t force themselves in to consumers hearts.

Last edited:
So, I have a different point of view on this.

If Xbox software is coming to everything and with the rumors of the next Xbox hardware being a Switch or Steamdeck clone brings up another possibility.

Why are all Surfaces equipped to play Xbox software natively? Going forward this could be an avenue to fight Mac and iPad which are running console quality games now, (slowly). But it is possible.

MS could try to build the brand to teens to college to young adults that get a Surface and do everything including gaming. I believe this is the right strategy for them at this point.

King Dazzar

Niche means low volume and expensive. As I mentioned in another thread, I dont see it turning things around. It's the opposite. It'll just further push the 3rd party publisher side of things. I do however, see them haemorrhaging all their existing console customers though.

Lost my library, as I aint ever likely investing in Xbox hardware again. So a touch rich reading "didnt give them a chance" from tosser Jizz.

Onwards and upwards though. Looking forward to PlayStation release dates!

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Xbox have been focussed on PC since Xbox Play Anywhere was announced in 2016.

They’ve been talking about mobile being a true competitor for years as well.

What the they done in either space?

What killer software have they released?

What have they done to innovate in the space?

What have they done to compete with Steam, Epic and the major players in mobile etc?

The Windows gaming store, which is still appalling, has been their only answer (alongside buying King).

This is yet more bluster from Xbox, setting the scene so they can try to claim gaming is changing and only they are on the right path, which their evangelists will parrot.

The truth is nothing will change for Steam. Because as we’ve seen endlessly over the past 20 years, Microsoft can’t force themselves in to consumers hearts.

Who the fuck is actually buying what would essentially be a Microsoft branded PC - given how fucking awful Microsoft's PC products are.

Top Bottom