• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JESUS! AVATAR looks amazing! May I believe in UBISOFT this time?

Drizzlehell

Banned
Division got a massive downgrade in level of detail, lighting, volumetric fog/steam and all kinds of other effects.

Yes, the game is still a looker especially on Pro consoles but it definitely got a downgrade.

Avatar was also downgrade although they had only showed off cutscene footage so it's not as easy to do 1v1 comparisons.

"Massive"

It looks more like slight redesign of specific details in various locations or a slight shift in visual direction of the game (such as changing how lens flares look or in what scenes the DoF effect is used). This is a normal thing that will always happen in between pre-release trailers and finished product (hint: that's why it always says "pre-release footage, may be subject to change" on those videos). But a "downgrade"? Nah. The same visual effects can be seen in other parts of the game so just because they removed some steam coming out of a manhole in one location and put it somewhere else doesn't mean it's a downgrade.

Watch Dogs or Far Cry 3 - now that was a downgrade. But with The Division people are seriously reaching. It reads more like Spider-Man's puddlegate.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Most of the latest games shown by Ubisoft look amazing and I love Ubisoft anyway.

Gather up, Ubifans @Stuart360 CatLady CatLady

Sesame Street Player GIF by INTO ACTION

Wow Avatar looks great and like my kind of game. I don't understand why UBI always gets so much hate.

Ya know Bo I really did NOT need to find more games I want to play, I'm already overloaded.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Wow Avatar looks great and like my kind of game. I don't understand why UBI always gets so much hate.

Ya know Bo I really did NOT need to find more games I want to play, I'm already overloaded.

The Crew, Star Wars Outlaws, Avatar, AC Mirage, the new trailer of Skull and Bones yet you don't find people going off the roof. Even their new wacky shooter looks very solid and fun.

Ubisoft gets way more hate than they deserve, yet they are the most diverse, most brave publishers out there that bring new stuff into the industry.

Last edited:

Mahavastu

- Does anyone believe the game will reach that level graphics??
I would be quite optimistic.

Pro: it says "captured on PS5", it looks like gameplay and the launch is very soon, the PS5 hardware is known since several years (unlike with the 1st WatchDogs & Division). There are also some minor problems (e.g. Water reflections), so I guess what looks like gameplay in the trailer will be pretty much like this in the game :pie_beaming_smiling:
Con: it also says "in game engine", which can mean anything. I guess this means mostly the cut scenes.

Please note: for me the trailer "feels" like 30fps, so I guess the trailer shows the Resolution mode, and in 60fps there will be minor degradation like lower resolution and so on.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Endeed

Outlaws
Mirage

3 games that are interesting.
Prince of Persia The Lost Crown looks really good too if you're into 2D action platfomers.

Also the Crew Motorfest looks like it has potential if they stick to the different motorsports with water and air racing included and improve the handling

“This pretty world with gorgeous flora and fantastic fauna. Floating islands with waterfalls! Look at the mist between the giant trees!”

“Now you fire this AK74 and rocketlauncher at the human outpost”

I was like holy fuck, that escalated quickly.

Yep, it sure does look amazing.
Not a big fan of the typical Ubi open world games anymore though, but I’ll give it a shot because I like the franchise and would love to explore Pandora.

And Watch Dogs
And Rainbow Six
And Far Cry
And Assassin's Creed
And Beyond Good and Evil 2 - where's the videogame?
Why I don't believe a thing coming from Ubisoft until it's out, and even then I won't buy it. Gamers are too quick to forgive this bullshit. Ubi games are generally subpar and they love to overpromise and use CGI for marketing. So be cautious.

L*][*N*K

Banned
I don’t know why was I under the impression that this is a MMO for years, anyway the game is set in an extremely dull world, I doubt I will play it

L*][*N*K

Banned
The strange situation is, that with Avatar, Star Wars and the new Assasins Creed there are more future Ubisoft games I am interested in then Playstation 1st party games :pie_eyeroll:
What are the future PlayStation games that are on the horizon if I may ask? I know their studios are working on games but what are they? There is not a single first party game that is even announced for 2024 as far as I am aware

DaGwaphics

I had actually forgotten about this one. It's certainly a looker. The attention to detail in the environments is really nice. Will be interesting to see what the early reviews are like and what the gameplay is like without the dramatic editing.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Remember the Division and how amazing that looked before the final game
They mentioned this in DF, difference between then and now is that they explicitly said this was running on PS5 and is already pretty close to release. We're finally starting to see games that aren't shackled to the PS4 so it's not TOTALLY surprising that these games are looking really good. I'm betting this is how the game will look.

I just hope the game plays more than the Far Cry: Pandora it looked like in the trailer.

Last edited:

Mahavastu

What are the future PlayStation games that are on the horizon if I may ask? I know their studios are working on games but what are they? There is not a single first party game that is even announced for 2024 as far as I am aware
That is what I was talking about, nothing after Spiderman, except Wolverine in the (distant?) future...

b0uncyfr0

Op, i think you mean Far Cry with flying looks good.

I even saw a tower in there, classic Ubi.

Last edited:
thinking-gif-2.gif

If you think about it, the more we move forward graphically, the less Ubisoft will downgrade.

Eventually we will reach an equilibrium with Ubisoft where what we see is what we get.

oji-san

Banned
You may believe in Ubi anytime, they sometimes deliver good games, sometimes less, just like every company.

Pelta88

I played 1 maybe 2 Ubisoft games last gen but I'm excited for this and the Star Wars game. I'm just hoping that what I've seen is actual gameplay and not the usual Ubi bait and switch.

Certinty

My biggest problem is how this feels like it would have been better as a third person game rather than a first person one.

Regardless, even if it’s a reskinned Far Cry game, it can’t be as bad as 6.

HighPoly

Banned
considering Horizon Forbidden West is possible on a PS4 and prettier on PS5.
The AVATAR FPS with that level graphics is a very solid expectation...
The problem is, UBISOFT, not the level graphics...

Mr.Phoenix

NEVER trust Ubisoft. Wait for reviews...and even then, be wary of the reviewers.

Ubisoft has not shown game that ended up releasing or looking or even paying the way they showed it.... in over two console generations.

Shubh_C63

The game is going to be batshit bad. FarCry : Avatar edition.

Graphically, you guys are insane. Division 1 & 2 even after downgrade looks absolutely gorgeous.

Ywap

Almost all the latest AAA Ubi games have been lookers. Far Cry 6, Valhalla and even old ones like Legion, Breakpoint and Division 2 all looks fantastic.

Massive is in my opinion one of the best and most underrated developers out there so i expect to be impressed - both visually and gameplay wise 👍

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
The "downgrade" is that the first scene of the original teaser went overboard with Ubisoft's trademark cutscene lighting:

cFpehdR.jpg

Modern games hide light sources around the characters for cutscenes.
Man, those anorexic cat people still look lame as hell.

CGNoire

thinking-gif-2.gif

If you think about it, the more we move forward graphically, the less Ubisoft will downgrade.

Eventually we will reach an equilibrium with Ubisoft where what we see is what we get.
Unless they keep shortchanging the budget because the real reason we dont get vertical slice visuals has way less to do with optimization and way more to do with budgets.

This industry for 3 generations straight doesnt seem to be growing as far as install base which to me suggests cellphones have really hobeled the industry. If around 100million consoles is the permanent cap on growth...we maybe fucked as far as AAA SP games evolving fully is concerned.

Last edited:

CGNoire

You would think with the shitstorm around spiderman 2 being caused by a trailer that said captured on ps5 that maybe media using this caption to prove how a game will look maybe isn't the best way to move forward.
It is if your goal is deception and garnering a defense force to gaslight naysayers who might interfer with your games highly profitable hype.

stranno

Avatar (360/PS3/PC) was already a great open world game. Even the mobile (SYMB/iOS/AND) version by Gameloft Barcelona was surprisingly ambitious.

Compared to those, this one looks like a reskined Far Cry.

Top Bottom