• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't help but notice how diametrically opposed Hellblade and Stellar Blade are

GymWolf

The only difference that matters is that stellar babes would be super successful while hellblade 2 will flop big time like red fall and lead to layoffs in ninja theory or ms selling them off. Perhaps Ms might finally get on the right track and go grab lollipop chainsaw ip to make a sequel with a hot Juliet starling!
Knowing M, if they make a LC sequel they are gonna use this J. Starling

LOL_Square_Enix_Sold_Tomb_Raider_For_Magic_Crypto_Beans_(The_Jimquisition)_12-22_screenshot.jpg

DragonNCM

• Eastern dev vs Western dev
  • Future vs Past
  • Outer Space vs Earth
  • Over-the-top vs grounded
  • Attractive protagonist vs huh...okay one
  • Heavy emphasis on combat vs heavy emphasis on themes and story
  • Fast-paced with loads of enemies vs slow-paced with fewer enemies
  • Playstation console exclusive vs Xbox console exclusive
  • Three performance modes leaning towards 60fps vs a single one locked to 30
  • Bright and colorful vs dark and foreboding
  • 20-40 hours vs much less game time (6 hours?)
  • Even their names, hell is traditionally believed to be below the Earth, and stellar means stars which are located above
I say this because I realize it represents very well the tug-o-war that is going on with gaming at the moment. On the one hand, you have the more traditional approach we've become accustomed to over the last several decades: an attractive woman with a skintight body suit, breasts, and jiggle physics like in DOA that isn't scared to use fanservice to please the crowd. It doesn't seem like it's looking to explore any modern themes such as mental illness or grief in depth. the game simply looks like it wants to be fun. Cutscenes and exaggerated fights galore with insane movesets and reportedly challenging combat with tons of options and combos. Hellblade couldn't be any more opposite. It's the "new dev" from the West who thinks that games should be more than games and can tell a story and have themes that are just as poignant as in movies or books. The narration is heavily scripted and the game is directed like a dark fantasy in the vein of The Northman. There doesn't seem to be much variety in terms of moves, combos, enemies, or weapon choices and the game is short and sweet. It's clear the dev isn't looking for the player to have "fun" because gaming can be more. It wants to challenge us mentally and emotionally.

Am I just crazy or onto something? Obviously, it's purely a coincidence that they're hitting the scene only one month apart but I do find the juxtaposition fascinating and a great allegory on what is happening in the game industry at the moment. It's almost like Hellblade represents a certain forum and Stellar Blade represents Gaf lol. The fact that their names are Hellblade and Stellar Blade is just too good a coincidence.

Thoughts?
Yes overposter...it is clear that Oranges are different then Apples....shocker !!!

DarthPutin

It drives my autistic self mad that we have a battle of exclusives where

SONY is represented by: HELLdivers (2) + stellar BLADE
XBOX is represented by: HELL BLADE (2)
but there is not STELLAR divers! Or StarDivers at least!

Last edited:

SSfox

• Eastern dev vs Western dev
  • Future vs Past
  • Outer Space vs Earth
  • Over-the-top vs grounded
  • Attractive protagonist vs huh...okay one
  • Heavy emphasis on combat vs heavy emphasis on themes and story
  • Fast-paced with loads of enemies vs slow-paced with fewer enemies
  • Playstation console exclusive vs Xbox console exclusive
  • Three performance modes leaning towards 60fps vs a single one locked to 30
  • Bright and colorful vs dark and foreboding
  • 20-40 hours vs much less game time (6 hours?)
  • Even their names, hell is traditionally believed to be below the Earth, and stellar means stars which are located above
I say this because I realize it represents very well the tug-o-war that is going on with gaming at the moment. On the one hand, you have the more traditional approach we've become accustomed to over the last several decades: an attractive woman with a skintight body suit, breasts, and jiggle physics like in DOA that isn't scared to use fanservice to please the crowd. It doesn't seem like it's looking to explore any modern themes such as mental illness or grief in depth. the game simply looks like it wants to be fun. Cutscenes and exaggerated fights galore with insane movesets and reportedly challenging combat with tons of options and combos. Hellblade couldn't be any more opposite. It's the "new dev" from the West who thinks that games should be more than games and can tell a story and have themes that are just as poignant as in movies or books. The narration is heavily scripted and the game is directed like a dark fantasy in the vein of The Northman. There doesn't seem to be much variety in terms of moves, combos, enemies, or weapon choices and the game is short and sweet. It's clear the dev isn't looking for the player to have "fun" because gaming can be more. It wants to challenge us mentally and emotionally.

Am I just crazy or onto something? Obviously, it's purely a coincidence that they're hitting the scene only one month apart but I do find the juxtaposition fascinating and a great allegory on what is happening in the game industry at the moment. It's almost like Hellblade represents a certain forum and Stellar Blade represents Gaf lol. The fact that their names are Hellblade and Stellar Blade is just too good a coincidence.

Thoughts?
Also

No BS outsiders in the team VS Probably some sweet baby like in the dev team

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
You’re actually serious with this??
I know you like 30fps and high fidelity visuals but tbh I always thought it was a defending some PS release argument. Sorry for previous joke if this is for real, and props for being consistent I guess.

I’ll go with PC just like I did with Starfield. Can’t stand 30fps tbh. But I do like it if a PC release is there to fix it, then I get better visuals I likely wouldn’t have got otherwise.
Yes i'm serious, this looks like my GOTY currently. A game made specifically for me.

PlayStation has been abysmal all year for me, releasing outdated trash like Rise of the Bland Open World, and a GAAS title I have less than zero interest in.

Mot of my posts are actually criticizing Sony lol.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
One comparison no one is made so far is the camera during gameplay.

The camera in Stellar Blade much further out so you have situational awareness when fighting.
stellar-blade-video-block-combat-burstattack-01-en-12jan24

Meanwhile in Hellblade 2 very close to character like a TPS even tho it’s melee based combat.
senuas-saga-hellblade-2-combat.jpg

We start to see more and more in western melee based combat and I’m not really in to.

Represent.

The camera in Stellar Blade much further out so you have situational awareness when fighting.

Meanwhile in Hellblade 2 very close to character like a TPS even tho it’s melee based combat.

We start to see more and more in western melee based combat and I’m not really in to.
One of these looks WAY more intense, engaging, purposeful and visceral than the other.

Last edited:

Represent.

Tbf stellar blade is pretty meaty aswell.
from what i've seen it is much better than the typical paperweight hack and slash anime action... but still no comparison.

Hellblade gives me Northman/Revenant vibes while Stellarblade gives me Colombiana vibes

Fredrik

Yeah this has been going on a long time in the west, lots of people like it because the combat gets more gruesome. As you say you have limited view of what’s going on around you. Ragnarök tried to fix it with an auto target camera, in Hellblade 2 you only fight one enemy at a time, so the limitations can be taken care of. The action is slow and heavy and impactful, seems like it’ll be great going by previews.

Fredrik

Yes i'm serious, this looks like my GOTY currently. A game made specifically for me.

PlayStation has been abysmal all year for me, releasing outdated trash like Rise of the Bland Open World, and a GAAS title I have less than zero interest in.

Mot of my posts are actually criticizing Sony lol.
I respect that, you’re consistent. Do you have a PC? Could be a way to get what you want without any downsides of a lower framerate. I bought one for the living room a month ago, using it strictly like a console with controller and Steam Big Picture mode.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Hellblade is the type of game I completely ignore and I don't understand the hype for
I'd have to be getting paid to play a generic, uninteresting game like that
People who like HB play video games for completely different reasons than I do

and Stellar Blade is IMO the first PS5 only game worth a damn this generation

Very interesting juxtaposition between titles honestly not sure what but you might be on to something OP

Hellblade is 1 vs 1 combat.

You can make both camera angles work.

Danjin44

Hellblade is 1 vs 1 combat.

You can make both camera angles work.
Is it? I remember first game throws at you multiple enemies which voice in her head warn her when she about get attacked off screen.

I personally not a fan of camera being this close to the character in melee based combat.

Currently Hellbade gives me feeling as Infinite Blade on iOS.
Infinity+Blade%2FIB1+Feature+Images%2F4-2732x2048-a7f5ba7287405ec0be0c21eebbaadd16ffa5121c.jpg

Even in this game the camera is that sloe to the character like HellBlade is.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

You know what's crazy we have stellar blade, we have hellblade

but also there is a BLADE game in development

fucking crazy bro fr

John Cena Mind Blown GIF

Is it? I remember first game throws at you multiple enemies which voice in her head warn her when she about get attacked off screen.

I personally not a fan of camera being this close to the character in melee based combat.

Currently Hellbade gives me feeling as Infinite Blade on iOS.
Infinity+Blade%2FIB1+Feature+Images%2F4-2732x2048-a7f5ba7287405ec0be0c21eebbaadd16ffa5121c.jpg

Even in this game the camera is that sloe to the character like HellBlade is.
In first part, yeah game can send 2 enemies at you.

You need to strategise and keep them behind each other so you can parry one by one.

Previews for part 2 are saying its 1 vs 1. Maybe later they send more enemies, not sure.

Its a much slower and methodical combat for sure.

Danjin44

In first part, yeah game can send 2 enemies at you.

You need to strategise and keep them behind each other so you can parry one by one.

Previews for part 2 are saying its 1 vs 1. Maybe later they send more enemies, not sure.

Its a much slower and methodical combat for sure.
I dont know how long sequel is gonna be but despite the first game being short game the combat got old very fast and with not that many enemy variety.

Fredrik

I dont know how long sequel is gonna be but despite the first game being short game the combat got old very fast and with not that many enemy variety.
Go through the previews, they talk about all your concerns.
Enemies attack one after another and each enemy is a flerce and challenging fight on it’s own and there are many different enemy types. Previews are glowing!

Rockman33

Maybe I’m missing something but I went through the stellar blade demo and it plays extremely similar to most other games in this genre. Am I missing something?

I’m not saying it’s bad or anything but I just expected it to be more unique and better since I’ve been reading so many people speak so highly of it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Maybe I’m missing something but I went through the stellar blade demo and it plays extremely similar to most other games in this genre. Am I missing something?

I’m not saying it’s bad or anything but I just expected it to be more unique and better since I’ve been reading so many people speak so highly of it.

Crayon

What games are considering in that genre? There's been disagreement on which it fits into.

Larxia

One of these looks WAY more intense, engaging, purposeful and visceral than the other.
Meh... I don't mean that as an insult because people have different preferences, but I think the people who prefer the second one are usually people who aren't into pure gameplay, and they need the presentation to do most of the work.

The most intense games I've played gameplay wise never had such camera. Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising, Kingdom Hearts (on critical mode), or on a different genre things like Tony Hawk, SSX etc... Or even Furi with a top down camera. All very fast paced games like this, with very intense and skill based gameplay, have a more classical, further away camera, because it what works best to see your surrounding and be in total control.

This second picture really doesn't make me interested at all, I feel like I already know exactly how it will play and it's the type of thing where I would just be bored. If the presentation / scripts is doing all the work, then it's not working for me, I need to be the one that make the games look cool by pulling off crazy stuff, I don't like when the game does it itself.

Does hellblade look more cinematic and immersive? Yes, but does that equals to fun? Not for everyone.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Meh... I don't mean that as an insult because people have different preferences, but I think the people who prefer the second one are usually people who aren't into pure gameplay, and they need the presentation to do most of the work.

The most intense games I've played gameplay wise never had such camera. Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising, Kingdom Hearts (on critical mode), or on a different genre things like Tony Hawk, SSX etc... Or even Furi with a top down camera. All very fast paced games like this, with very intense and skill based gameplay, have a more classical, further away camera, because it what works best to see your surrounding and be in total control.

This second picture really doesn't make me interested at all, I feel like I already know exactly how it will play and it's the type of thing where I would just be bored. If the presentation / scripts is doing all the work, then it's not working for me, I need to be the one that make the games look cool by pulling off crazy stuff, I don't like when the game does it itself.

Does hellblade look more cinematic and immersive? Yes, but does that equals to fun? Not for everyone.

To me it just screams slow and unresponsive. Which was a major issue I had with the original game.

Might not be for you. That’s fine.

For me the issue was, game doesn’t give you respite. You solve a puzzle or win a fight, it’s time for Senua to go even more crazy. Doesn’t reward you with any sense of progression.

Rockman33

What games are considering in that genre? There's been disagreement on which it fits into.
Souls/bayonetta I’d say. More so though it just felt like something I’ve played before with a different coat of paint. Again, not necessarily a bad thing. However, it is just a small chunk so it could progress into something more original.

Regardless, really impressive for the studio to go from phone games to this.

Crayon

It's a pretty solid Nier-like, right ?

It might go that way later on but from the demo, I don't think it's that close. it probably depends most on if there's a hubworld and how prevalent/large it is.

The feel of the gameplay is way different from nier either way. Nier is flowy more like Bayonetta. This is slow and heavy though it doesn't always look that way.

Crayon

Souls/bayonetta I’d say. More so though it just felt like something I’ve played before with a different coat of paint. Again, not necessarily a bad thing. However, it is just a small chunk so it could progress into something more original.

Regardless, really impressive for the studio to go from phone games to this.

I think you could say it feels halfway between would and Bayonetta. I feel it's closer to god of war than either, though.

today OP learns that apples are different than oranges!!
AINTNOWAY

Tomorrow he will learn that squares are different than circles!!!

Fredrik

This is an old discussion that popped up a lot after God of War which drastically changed the combat from the previous games. Some still think the earlier games are more fun and play better. Some think the new ones are miles ahead and love the immersive brutal close up combat.

Tbh I’ve always had issues with a close camera. Goes for God of War, Gears of War, Resident Evil 4, The Last of Us, even Elden Ring because the bosses are so big. Problem for me, without visual cues you really have no clue what’s going on outside of the camera.

There are ways to solve it though!
In Ragnarök they made an auto target camera which worked quite well. And in Hellblade 2 they only have you fight one enemy at a time to solve the camera problem.

In the end it’ll still be highly subjective what you prefer even when the camera limitations are solved.

I’m going to go in with an open mind and enjoy Hellblade 2 for what it is rather than wish it was something they never designed it to be. Previews are super positive and I do like what I see, seems like it’ll be an intense gaming experience like we don’t see very often.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I say this because I realize it represents very well the tug-o-war that is going on with gaming at the moment.
You mean exactly like Nier Automata vs Hellblade in 2017.

Oh wait...

Btw, I do think the comparison contrast works, but just on the level of similarly budgeted games with fem protagonist at the centre. But its a 7 year old comparison, so no new or current trends here.
The only change is that it was AA comparison last time, and now we've moved to AAA budgets. So if taken at have value, is just industry doubling down on things that worked the first time.
Which - when you think about it, isn't curious at all.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

I interested in both and intend to play Hellblade 2 is it finds its way to PS5. I'm ok with a shorter experience if it meant no filler and good pacing. Hellblade aims to be a graphical showcase, and I'm here for it. I'm curious to see what can be done technically in a Series X exclusive. I loved the first game, and I'm definitely hyped. As for Stellar Blade, I was on the fence, but after the demo I'm sold. I'm glad the gameplay is solid, and the fan service is not intrusive, and of course it is refreshing to see a feminine hero for once in an action game.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
You mean exactly like Nier Automata vs Hellblade in 2017.

Oh wait...

Btw, I do think the comparison contrast works, but just on the level of similarly budgeted games with fem protagonist at the centre. But its a 7 year old comparison, so no new or current trends here.
The only change is that it was AA comparison last time, and now we've moved to AAA budgets. So if taken at have value, is just industry doubling down on things that worked the first time.
Which - when you think about it, isn't curious at all.
The cinematic games certainly aren't a new trend but I'd argue they're more divisive and popular now than they were in 2017. Since 2017, we got some major heavily story-driven titles that have come out such as both GOW games, TLOU Part II, RDR2, and a bunch I'm forgetting. The debate over the merits of story-driven games was already strong in 2017 but I believe that we've reached a new level now and companies are more willing to pour enormous amounts of money into AAA cinematic games than they were back in 2017. Hell, Hellblade itself is a good example. The first one was made by an independent team on a smaller budget but is now part of Microsoft.

While neither trend is new, I do think that we're seeing two viable kinds of AAA (AA) games head in opposite directions and that the commentary regarding one kind of game vs the other is more polarized than it was 7 years ago.

Last edited:
Top Bottom