• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JESUS! AVATAR looks amazing! May I believe in UBISOFT this time?

HighPoly

Banned
I know The Division was a good giant downgrade since what we looked for the first time!
All those cars, objetcs and elements in the game shown for the first time, exploded minds.
But as long as the gameplay was shown everybody disappointed.
- Well, What about AVATAR?? we've seen so many scenes from gameplay, or even cutscenes in engine this time!
- I mean, a loooot of gameplay combat scenes!
- Does anyone believe the game will reach that level graphics??
Like... Forbidden West was totally possible on PS4... Open World, high detailed characters...

Last edited:

Puscifer

Never trust Ubisoft or EA, they've burned all that goodwill.

EDIT: I should say that while they've burned their goodwill that doesn't mean I want the game to be bad, but they've dropped the ball too much to give pre-release stuff any real grace till it's released.

Last edited:

yamaci17

it will have huge downgrades. it is impossible to achieve that kind of a leap with 10 gb of usable graphics memory on sx/ps5 (3.5 gb for regular stuff physics/sound/simulation)

if consoles boasted solid 32 gb memory, yeah, could've been.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
it will have huge downgrades. it is impossible to achieve that kind of a leap with 10 gb of usable graphics memory on sx/ps5 (3.5 gb for regular stuff physics/sound/simulation)

if consoles boasted solid 32 gb memory, yeah, could've been.
The trailer and overview gameplay footage was running on PS5 though so its already running within the vram limitations.

yamaci17

The trailer and overview gameplay footage was running on PS5 though so its already running within the vram limitations.
maybe they use the high memory dev kits but lie that it is on ps5

technically it would still be on ps5 (as the processing power is the same). just a guess. processing power is kind of okay for the jump, but I suspect most downgrades come from memory limitations

(witcher 3 had enormous downgrade not becuase of consoles but because of PCs. at the time, all you had was 2-3 GB GPUs on PC space. it practically had to downgrade texture work, extra effects and many more. it would run 1080p/30 on a 750 while using 1.5 GB VRAM. ps4 also run it at 1080p/30 with same limitations due to jank 2 gb-3gb riddled PC space. same PS4 ran rdr2 better with full ps4 hardware usage (and on PC with 4-5 GB VRAM usage))

ZoukGalaxy

*Here a Jesus for ya*
I Will Survive Jesus GIF by hoppip

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

technically it would still be on ps5 (as the processing power is the same). just a guess. processing power is kind of okay for the jump, but I suspect most downgrades come from memory limitations

(witcher 3 had enormous downgrade not becuase of consoles but because of PCs. at the time, all you had was 2-3 GB GPUs on PC space. it practically had to downgrade texture work, extra effects and many more. it would run 1080p/30 on a 750 while using 1.5 GB VRAM. ps4 also run it at 1080p/30 with same limitations due to jank 2 gb-3gb riddled PC space. same PS4 ran rdr2 better with full ps4 hardware usage (and on PC with 4-5 GB VRAM usage))
The high memory in the devkits are for debugging and other fast functions in parallel. It's not usually reserved to make the game better than lower memory retail kit. The memory allocation budgets (graphics, sound department, physics, etc) during development would still be the retail unit spec.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I'd almost always reserve your expectations until release, especially with Ubisoft games. Looks cool though. I'm by no means a gigantic Avatar fan or anything, but if the game's good, the game's good. Even if it's just piggybacking off of the Farcry IP.

Puscifer

And Watch Dogs
And Rainbow Six
And Far Cry
And Assassin's Creed
And Beyond Good and Evil 2 - where's the videogame?
Amazing BGE2 is still being developed, wtf is the game even supposed to be anymore? Everyone 2 years they show similar footage of the same 2-3 models and dog fighting. Just cancel that shit already

SlimySnake

And Watch Dogs
And Rainbow Six
And Far Cry
And Assassin's Creed
And Beyond Good and Evil 2 - where's the videogame?

Game looks incredible even though it was downgraded from the original reveal.

97WAqnD.gif

fXOp3Ys.gif

Highly doubt it gets downgraded AGAIN with just six months of polish left to go. Even if it does, it will be a resolution downgrade or some minor shadows, AO, AA, AF and other tweaks. They are not going to change their entire engine this close to launch.

The game is already running at a resolution of 1440p FSR's to 4k so FSR 2.0 Quality. Dropping to FSR balanced will get them a good 20-30% more performance with very little loss in IQ. They would start the downgrade there instead of foliage or lighting or character models or whatever else they downgraded for Watch dogs, division, rainbow six etc

P.S Just to clarify im not saying Ubisoft doesnt do downgrades anymore. Hell, this game is proof that they still have downgrades. I am fully expecting Star wars Outlaws to get downgraded come launch, but that game still has 1.5-2 years of dev time left. Basically the same timespan we saw between Avatar's first reveal at e3 2021 and e3 2023. This game is pretty much all done. Its already using FSR, and non-ray traced reflections. They have already done the downgrades from the original trailer.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I didn't say it was bad looking. But it is not the same as the original trailer.
I dunno, I keep seeing how random people bring this up from time to time but The Division is really not a good example if you wanna talk about Ubisoft downgrades. If anything, The Division is one of the very few games that DOESN'T look like a downgrade in a fully released game. The final game looks pretty much the same as that gameplay reveal from 2013.

It's Ubisoft.

They previously bull-shotted an entire "next-gen" era of titles and have been releasing the same copy and paste formulaic games for the last 10 years. They have a lot to prove, at least as far as I'm concerned.

SlimySnake

thats interesting. i always thought it was due to the shitty tflops of the X1 and PS4 GPUs. Biggest downgrade for witcher 3 was in foliage and lighting quality which i assumed were both GPU bound features.

HighPoly

Banned
Well, if AVATAR is not a reference of the true next gen graphics should or must be.
This generation is a totally waste of manoey and time...
It seems like a PS4 PRO 2.0 and Xbox One X 2.0, more resolution, ray tracing and maybe 60fps with drops...
:messenger_pouting:

Last edited:

MirageMew2

The Division to this day still looks a lot better than 2 imo.

Avatar looks really good, I’ve no doubt they’ll deliver actually. This and Hogwarts I think will go down as two huge licensed games that’ll completely change the conversation on licensed IP for the foreseeable future.

Quantum253

I will say that the Avatar trailer seems more realistic then previous overdone trailers. Avatar looks good, but not so good that it seems unfeasible with current hardware. I'd expect this is what the next X/Ps5/PC only FarCry title will look like

Thirty7ven

Banned
It looks great, but just like Starfield character models suffer a lot around the faces, animation there is also no bueno. It might look just barely better than Starfield in asset and animation quality, but just like it the discrepancy between the environment and the detail on the characters is extremely noticeable. It sticks out.

Last edited:

Alebrije

I like the Far Cry approach..The game looks nice just hope it has a 60 fps mode no matter the resolution or lack of Ray Tracing or other stuff.

Success

Anybody who get baited by Ubisoft needs to go back and learn some history.

This game will get a MC of 83.

SlimySnake

I dunno, I keep seeing how random people bring this up from time to time but The Division is really not a good example if you wanna talk about Ubisoft downgrades. If anything, The Division is one of the very few games that DOESN'T look like a downgrade in a fully released game. The final game looks pretty much the same as that gameplay reveal from 2013.
Division got a massive downgrade in level of detail, lighting, volumetric fog/steam and all kinds of other effects.

Yes, the game is still a looker especially on Pro consoles but it definitely got a downgrade.

Avatar was also downgrade although they had only showed off cutscene footage so it's not as easy to do 1v1 comparisons.

The "downgrade" is that the first scene of the original teaser went overboard with Ubisoft's trademark cutscene lighting:

cFpehdR.jpg

Modern games hide light sources around the characters for cutscenes.

Top Bottom