• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jared Kushner Company Cited in Russia Money Laundering Case

Glix

I suppose we'll find out next week when the new sanctions bill reaches his desk.

I'll admit I am no real estate expert by any stretch, but why would the source of Lev's money have anything to do with Kushner purchasing property from him? Is the concern that Kushners lawyers should have known that the property they were thinking of buying was purchased with ill-gotten gains by Lev, and as such should've backed out?

Real estate transactions are well known to be used for money laundering. There are special sets of rules concerning due diligence

cwmartin

I suppose we'll find out next week when the new sanctions bill reaches his desk.

I'll admit I am no real estate expert by any stretch, but why would the source of Lev's money have anything to do with Kushner purchasing property from him? Is the concern that Kushners lawyers should have known that the property they were thinking of buying was purchased with ill-gotten gains by Lev, and as such should've backed out?

Here's a money laundering tip. When you buy something with "ill-gotten gains", IMMEDIATELY SELL IT. Congrats on laundering.

If it can be proved that the settlement was accepted and any prosecution squashed directly by the WH, I suppose there's something here. If not, what did Kushner care that the guy he was dealing with was laundering stolen Russian money. More yawnworthy much to do about nothing Russia stuff, methinks.

Almost as if you shouldn't give someone a pass just because the toothless and defunded DoJ, FBI, and IRS that failed to prosecute serious financial crimes from 2006 onward settled a case. Rich people are above the law in this country. He should be in jail, no where near the white house, and not for anything Russia related.

RPGCrazied

Kusher just finished his senate hearing, and on his way to his car someone asked if he could sign his Russian flag. I lost it.

I hope this guy goes down in flames.

Basically my opinion as of now is that the entire Russia thing is Lewinsky-level BS. I don't believe that Russia altered our election results in any tangible way, and that the Trump team was in on it in exchange for future favors (removal of sanctions, etc). As such, this is just more going down the rabbit hole of nothing.

Some of the story is interesting, with Kushner purchasing the property from Lev and subsequent re-financing from Deutche Bank that supposedly had ties with the laundering operation, but that shit happened well before Trump was running.

I just don't buy the whole thing, so of course I'm skeptical about this.

Dont drink the Trump collude-aid bruh

You're brave for saying it on GAF, i'll give you that. Embarrassingly naive unfortunately, but I must imagine you'd rather not believe it possible for our entire country to be played a fiddle rather than admit its possible. So it's easier to call it a Triple Decker Nothing Club (No Mayo).

And here I am thinking similarly of folks who eat it all up wholesale as this big conspiracy. Go figure.

Russia is just a giant organized crime ring run by Chekists who in no way see the US as a friend.

Seeing Russia as an ally is the dumbest thing going around.

What u talking bout?

Good guy Putin only went into Ukraine cause he heard they needed help from corrupt government.

Armaros

Basically my opinion as of now is that the entire Russia thing is Lewinsky-level BS. I don't believe that Russia altered our election results in any tangible way, and that the Trump team was in on it in exchange for future favors (removal of sanctions, etc). As such, this is just more going down the rabbit hole of nothing.

Some of the story is interesting, with Kushner purchasing the property from Lev and subsequent re-financing from Deutche Bank that supposedly had ties with the laundering operation, but that shit happened well before Trump was running.

With the amount of effort you put into saying there is nothing to see.

You could join the Trump administration as a top communication official.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
If it can be proved that the settlement was accepted and any prosecution squashed directly by the WH, I suppose there's something here. If not, what did Kushner care that the guy he was dealing with was laundering stolen Russian money. More yawnworthy much to do about nothing Russia stuff, methinks.

I honestly can't tell if this is a genuine post or not.

Am I correct to understand that the Magnitsky sanctions are still in effect, but that in this particular case, there was a settlement?

Many more specifics are needed regarding who signed off on the settlement from the justice dept, etc.

Oh...dear.

KoopaTheCasual

And here I am thinking similarly of folks who eat it all up wholesale as this big conspiracy. Go figure.
So you're just going to ignore theWB27 and my questions to you about why it's BS when all US agencies have come to a consensus on Russian involvement in our elections?...

ok.

hawk2025

Lmao, so transparent.

"If it can be proven from start to finish that the white house directly commited a crime with just this ONE thing, I suppoooooseeee there could maybe sort of kind of be something here"

rambis

Banned

How do you explain Trump publicly asking Russians to hack Hilary and them producing leaks days later? Just a darned quinky dink?

That is the laundering step in money laundering.

So, yes.

Permanently A

Is there any reason you don't believe Comey when he says “There should be no fuzz on this whatsoever. The Russians interfered in our election during the 2016 cycle. They did with purpose. They did it with sophistication. They did it with overwhelming technical efforts. It was an active measures campaign driven from the top of that government.”

Tacitus_

The Fractured States of Soviet America.

Ghost in the Shell prediction:
173fRbd.png

Though I think the Russo-American alliance wouldn't cover those bits.

You cannot believe this if you been following this story. I refuse to believe you ever read anything about the development of this whole mess before this post.

There are people out there actually working their asses of in the IC and journalism trying to uncover these things bit by bit and their hard work deserves more than a "this is nothing". It's insulting actually.

norinrad

Stay in school kids. Education is a good thing.

Am I correct to understand that the Magnitsky sanctions are still in effect, but that in this particular case, there was a settlement?

Many more specifics are needed regarding who signed off on the settlement from the justice dept, etc.

Where, if anywhere, do you get your news from?

Is there any reason you don't believe Comey when he says “There should be no fuzz on this whatsoever. The Russians interfered in our election during the 2016 cycle. They did with purpose. They did it with sophistication. They did it with overwhelming technical efforts. It was an active measures campaign driven from the top of that government.”

Just to be clear. Whether Russia tried isn't my point. It's that imo it wasn't a factor in ultimately winning Trump the presidency, and I see nothing that leads me to believe that Trump and co were in on it for the potential of future favors (ie. collusion) ... Based on that belief, I find this whole Russia thing to be your boilerplate pushback by the losing party that we've seen happen so many times (and sans Watergate, history shows nothing comes of any of these witchhunts in modern times) ... Fairly straightforward.

I obvs realize I am not in like-minded company here and my posts just give folks targets for their ignore lists, but even in light of that I feel compelled to present my feeling on the topic anyway. Healthy discourse and all that.

Boylamite

With all due respect, your opinion means slightly less than the intelligence community.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

If you genuinely believe your position and aren't just trolling for reactions or some trophy quote to return to another site then I can honestly say you haven't properly understood the legal, financial or common sense implications of the story.

The Occams razor of your whole argument is that you understand the story better than the entire intelligence community and the fifth estate. That's literally your position.

Permanently A

Just to be clear. Whether Russia tried isn't my point. It's that imo it wasn't a factor in ultimately winning Trump the presidency, and I see nothing that leads me to believe that Trump and co were in on it for the potential of future favors (ie. collusion) ... Based on that belief, I find this whole Russia thing to be your boilerplate pushback by the losing party that we've seen happen so many times (and sans Watergate, history shows nothing comes of any of these witchhunts in modern times) ... Fairly straightforward.

I obvs realize I am not in like-minded company here and my posts just give folks targets for their ignore lists, but even in light of that I feel compelled to present my feeling on the topic anyway. Healthy discourse and all that.

I don't believe it was a factor in Trump winning either - but that doesn't matter. For example consider the meeting where the Russian govt offered info on Hillary. Let's say that Trump's campaign accepted the info, but for whatever reason decided not to use it. In this example, Russia doesn't influence the election because the info was never made public - but the Trump camp still committed a felony.

theWB27

Why didn't anything of this magnitude happen when Bush was elected twice? Also with Obama being there twice.

Like...why is this happening all of the sudden with Trump? Some side has to lose and this has not happened the last two time.

I'm also wondering what could this nothing be that has forced the IC to investigate this since last year? Why would Rosenstein hire an independent committee if what they had was nothing? I' struggling to understand how something continues for so based off nothing.

Zolo

With all due respect, your opinion means slightly less than the intelligence community.

He's not saying they didn't do anything. He's saying he doesn't believe they did enough to alter the election enough.......which doesn't really matter anyway as far as the investigation goes anyway. That's determining if Trump and Russia colluded at all. Not if what Russia did actually made a big enough difference.

Top Bottom