• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James cameron gets alot of shit but...

nush

I watched this in the cinema before "James Cameron" was a brand. I didn't know anything about it apart from the trailer, back in the day when that's all you had. I enjoyed it, where's my Blu Ray?

Ornlu

Banned
The GOAT.

T2 is his best movie. A masterpiece that's so ridiculously well made it feel like it could be released today and be a brand new experience. JC is light years ahead of everyone in the technical department.

James Cameron gets a free pass from now until the end of time to do whatever the F he wants. T2 was amazing.

Same goes for John McTiernan for directing Predator, Die Hard, and The Hunt for Red October back to back to back.

Grinchy

Banned
Man, I've never seen this Making Of before. This is insane. I never even saw the movie, sadly. I remember being at a friend's house and their parents were watching it on VHS once. It just happened to be the famous CG watersnake scene. But other than that, never seen any of it.

GreyHorace

Guy's an asshole, but he's one of the greatest film visionaries of all time. Whoever said being a nice guy was a requirement to be a great artist? No one.

His earlier work is still his best, as I wasn't much of a fan of Titanic or Avatar. But I recognize how groundbreaking they were from a technical standpoint. And I'll thank him profusely for finally bringing Alita Battle Angel to the big screen.

Birdo

Banned
You can't really judge film makers by their old content. They tend to change drasticaly over time.

Modern Speilberg is not the same as classic Speilberg. Modern Ridley Scott is not the same as classic Ridley Scott. And so on, you get the point......

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
Cameron never gets shit from me, except about avatar.

The man created the iconic terminator and terminator 2. He showed a sequel can be different than the original but still just as great in it's own way with aliens. He showed us really good scifi in the abyss. He mixed comedy and action really well with true lies. He can do low budget horror and make it watchable with piranha 2. And while I didnt like titanic you can't deny its impact. And he has his whole career pushed special effects in big ways. And while he isn't quite as unique as say brian de Palma but his camera usage is incredibly solid. And from a technical standpoint far as movies are concerned he is a master.

My only complaint of him is avatar. Aside from the cool yet gimmick 3d effects it had nothing. No originality since it was basically just dances with wolves, but all the characters felt uninspired and very flat and boring except sigourney weaver, she was cool. It all just felt so needless and uninteresting.

But yeah the abyss is a great movie. It's just a shame no one could get out of Michael biehn what cameron could because I like him a lot but he never shines in anyone else's movies. Kind of like Michael Madsen, I dont care for him unless he is in a tarantino movie.

I really wish cameron would go back and do a director's approved 4k release of his older movies.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
The problem with Avatar is the script is boring and dated as fuck. Hopefully the writing on these two movies are a lot more interesting. Other than that you right. He is amazing.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
And a huge portion of the Avatar sequels involves new technology for full facial / body motion capture underwater. It's going to probably be amazing.

The CGI in T2 still blows me away to this day. Even crazier to think it was done during the days of 8-bit consoles.

James Cameron doesn't do what James Cameron does, for James Cameron. James Cameron does what James Cameron does because James Cameron is James Cameron.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
James Cameron owes James Cameron another risk like the Abyss, Avatar 2 is a big swing but feels too safe.

James Cameron owes James Cameron another risk like the Abyss, Avatar 2 is a big swing but feels too safe.

Its variable framerate (24/48 FPS depending on the scene) will decide the way Hollywood movies will be made for the next couple of decades. The Chinese and Indians will probably keep experimenting with HFR but if Avatar 2 and 3 don't make it popular in the West, I believe that's the end of it.

Top Bottom