• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jack Thompson -gamers ingest more drugs than others-

Opiate

Kaijima said:
They're not just Baby Boomers (with all the baggage that Boomers bring with them) they are, in a way, observers of the death of the generation gap. Jack Thompsom probably believes with absolute conviction that everyone younger than 30 who isn't in a Christian Youth camp is a mindless moron who would rather have fun than do anything "serious" and that the whole world is going to hell and has no future. People like him cannot understand what the world is turning into and really, it scares the hell out of them, so they attack it.

TommyLeeJones_NCFOM_169709b.jpg

Davedough

Wow... the thing I find amusing is that he resorts to personal attacks on the OP instead of backing up his claims with facts. When he found out that he was clearly outmatched and actually speaking with an astute person who has done their homework in the gaming industry and journalism, he hid behind insults and slander. Way to go Jack... you fucking moron.

Edit: Read it again and actually lost count at how many times he contradicted himself.... wait.... Contra...... Dicted..... does that mean that all gamers love the cock?

Opiate

Darkpen said:
...is it wrong that I had a hard time understanding that movie?

No, I'm sure you're not the only one.

Short answer: the world is a violent, cruel, and meaningless place. Thus the title "No Country for Old Men," meaning a world too harsh for many elderly to bear.

For Tommy Lee Jones, the cruel, meaningless nature of our existance manifests itself as an amoral serial killer who seems to murder on implulse. For Jack Thompson, that cruel nature manifests itself as a video game. I'm fairly certain these are interchangable vices to him.

Haunted

A man past his prime. Almost sad to watch, reduced to e-mail convos with some no-name website.

:sadface

GQman2121

Banned
What's really sad is, is that if he were really only against outlets selling games to minors, he would have the full backing of everyone on this board.

But instead of doing that, he chooses to characterize large groups of people together and mixes politics and religious beliefs with common sense.

If he wasn't just so crazy, he may have actually been able to accomplish something. Throw another crazy log on the fire I guess........

I blame Nintendo. While other arcade games from the 1980s were imploring kids to stay away from drugs, Donkey Kong was poisoning minds.

DKHigh.gif

Threi

notag
how in the hell can you not like this guy? :lol :lol :lol

also: a monkeymonkeymonkey title change would be appriciated :D

meppi

Xabora said:
:lol :lol :lol

What is that from?

Dead or Alive 1 by Takashi Miike.

The first 6 minutes or so are pure perfection. :)
You're probably able to find the intro on youtube.

*edit* damn, way too late. ;)

dacuk

Using the same method Jack uses for his "thinking", I can say God is not perfect because Jack Thompson exists.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
For fuck's sake QUIT GIVING THIS GUY PUBLICITY AND LINKING TO ARTICLES ABOUT HIM.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HE WANTS.

jeremy1456

Whenever I read anything he says I can't help but imagine him saying it with Lewis Black's voice and his mannerisms.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I believe it. Right now, I'm high...on HYPE! SF4 and MLB 09! Woooooo!

Hype is a drug too. :lol

Opiate

Suburban Cowboy said:
gamers attend college more than others!

Do they? That would be an important, positive correlation. I haven't seen a study showing this. Do you have a link?

daycru

Here's a guy who was so shitty at his job that the state permabanned him. His words mean less than nothing.

Core407

Banned
If I had nothing to live for, I'd probably just go hunt down Jack Thompson and end his life. I think the world would be better off without that fucking tard around

durendal

How can someone who says such stupid things be taken seriously? Does he actually believe that anything he says is intelligent or enlightened?

Maybe people who can't even do their job properly should stop behaving as if they know what they're talking about.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
"Hey bro, let's snort grandpa's meds and then play violent video games so as to improve our killing acumen."

I want this on a t shirt

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Jack Thompson makes generalized claims and says ridiculous things? Since when? Seriously the only thing keeping this thread from being complete garbage is

wenis said:
haha! and I love how the filename is 'xbox.jpg' :lol

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
durendal said:
How can someone who says such stupid things be taken seriously? Does he actually believe that anything he says is intelligent or enlightened?

Maybe people who can't even do their job properly should stop behaving as if they know what they're talking about.

...what job?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.cracked.com/article_17031_7-people-who-never-gave-up-but-absolutely-should-have.html

Jack Thompson, Anti-Game Crusader

His Dream:

Ridding the world of evil things, most notably Grand Theft Auto. The game, not the theft.

His Quest:

Most of you know Florida attorney Jack Thompson as the anti-video game guy. But even before that he worked overtime as a moral crusader. Be it rap music, Howard Stern, South Park, video games or Janet Reno, Thompson never found an imaginary threat he couldn't exploit, an opponent he couldn't harass or a crime he couldn't blame on the evils of popular culture.

Jack Thompson first came to national attention in the late 80s when he ran for Dade County State Attorney against future Attorney General and UFA Fighting Champion, Janet Reno. At a campaign event, Thompson asked Reno whether she was gay or not. Reno told him that she only liked "virile men" and that's why she wasn't attracted to him. Unlike most people, who would have crawled into a hole for the rest of their lives after having their manhood disparaged by Janet Reno, Thompson launched a public career out of it.

He wasn't man enough for her.

His dick probably permanently shriveled and useless, Thompson began attacking anything and everything he perceived to be a threat. He started by trying to get 2 Live Crew records banned, not on the grounds that they were shitty, but on the grounds that were corrupting youth and spreading indecency. In one of his first of his many jaw-droppingly inane public statements, Thompson likened the release of their albums to firing an AK-47 into a crowded schoolyard.

Thompson also started to refer to himself as 'Batman' and sent people copies of his driver's license with a Batman costume drawn over his face. Clearly, the man meant business. You don't draw a Batman costume on your picture unless you're serious. Or 10.

Thompson continued to look for things to be upset about until he came upon the gold standard for people convinced that kids are too stupid to understand the difference between fantasy and reality: Grand Theft Auto.

Thompson started his crusade in 2003 when he forced his way on to the legal team in a case involving a shooting by a teenager. He attempted to get the defense, the prosecution and the judge to blame Grand Theft Auto for "training" the kid to kill people. Thompson was eventually thrown off the case.

But Should Have Quit Before...

Like most crazy people, Thompson only drew encouragement from his failure. For the next few years, he traveled from state to state, shoehorning his way into murder trials involving kids, trying to get someone, anyone to blame violent video games.

When none of those attempts worked, he then tried to sue the makers of GTA, Take Two Interactive, claiming that the game was "the greatest threat to children since polio." He also sent a letter to Take Two chairman Strauss Zelnick's mother, claiming she had raised him like he was in the Hitler Youth. All of Thompson's cases against Take Two Interactive failed, and he eventually agreed not to publicly comment on or decry their games ever again. He honored his agreement by appearing on CNN to publicly comment on and decry the game.

But all was not lost. The Florida Bar Association, moved by Thompson's quest for public decency, did their part in bringing it about. They permanently disbarred Jack Thompson due to his repeated violations of legal procedures and harassment of other attorneys and judges.

That's right: In the end, Jack Thompson was considered too sleazy to be a lawyer.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Hey Jack, if you're so angry, why don't you sue somebody about it?

Oh.

Wait.

You CAN'T.

Top Bottom