• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It’s almost February. When is the PS5 shortage going to end??

Porcile

There are still shortages of the dumbest shit imaginable still like Pokemon cards and the plastic sleeves you put them in. Not really surprising such a FOMO item like the PS5 is still hard to get and will be for a while this pandemic rages on and people have no idea how to substitute going out drinking and eating with anything else other than buying shit online.

July/August you may be able to walk into a store and buy one. You're better off waiting to be honest. After Miles Moralis and Demons Souls Remake there isn't much of a must have reason to own one yet. Hopefully, by mid to late 2021 they'll have some of the kinks worked out (specifically coil whine and missing OS features). Also, I'm personally hoping for a black unit to be released for sale for the holidays. I'll be selling my white PS5 as soon as a black one is announced. Anywho, I know you want one "now" but try to be patient. It's really been a weird launch for both Sony and MS with not much to really justify scrambling to own either new console. At least MS has Gamepass I suppose which does give new owners a huge, instant game library. But if all you care about are new AAA exclusives then neither console is worth the headache of finding one right now.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Microsoft said expect XB shortages until June. Since PS is more popular I wonder if PS5 shortages will last a few months beyond that.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
They sold a little over 4 million last year. They were making them for what 5 months at that point? For the sake of argument lets just assume they can deliver 1 million per month and that they sold 5 million so far. PS4 sold 114 million. That is the total possible market for PS5 today. If 20% want one ASAP that is ~ 23 million - the 5 million that have them. So 18 million could want one now and that would take 18 months to satisfy. Even if it is a lot less than that, it is going to take a long time to satisfy the early adopter demand.

Methos#1975

First car sales dropped for a long while. Then suddenly there was a surge of demand, probably because of all of the left over money in people's savings account who were able to continue working through the pandemic, and production ramped up. Then like most everyone else the car manufacturers ran into chip shortages like everyone else. They recently had a pretty good interview with an industry insider on one of the news podcasts I listen to - NPR or NYT, forget which.
I work for Toyota production, when I say we are building more cars now than we were last year at this time I mean our factory specifically, we produce Highlanders and their demand hasn't been hurt at all.

Romulus

200.gif

jokes aside, its going to take until 2022 or 2023 to secure one without worrying about staying up all night on amazon or best buy or target or walmart.

It'll be available for anyone in by the summer. Which is great because theres no reason to have one now anyway.

Sushen

Didn't sony claim they're making over ten million units by March? I'm still frustrated by the current situation.

Alebrije

The more time runs I feel more "priviledged" that got one on November......

Think Sony will have enought by June

What’s your best ETA of when this madness is going to end? How long before I can walk into a Best Buy or go on Amazon and casually checkout with a PS5 without having to spam the refresh and buy button simultaneously trying to compete with bots and scalpers?

It depends. The hype has significantly died down now that the holidays are over, but it isn't easy to acquire one just yet. A lot of stores aren't just receiving much inventory and it's sporadic. There's not a consistent flow yet.

I suspect closer to summer, perhaps late spring at the earliest is when you'll start seeing more available to purchase without too much hassle.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
When is the shortage going to end?

Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Youll be good to go on the 23rd of never. :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Seriously, as long as this "online only" ordering model continues, legit buyers are at the mercy of scalpers and will always have a big disadvantage so your chances are low of getting one.

As to when they'll be on shelves to just walk in a store and get one? Before id say March, now im thinking more like June.

NickFire

I'm at peace with sticking to old gen for another year or two if needed. If Sony can't figure out how to stop the scalpers, then I'll just play the launch games when they cost $20. There is not very much else on the near horizon that I'm dying to play anyway.

sono

I have given up monitoring stock in the UK. I am sure all the scalpers are enjoying playing games.

#needsToChange

FrankWza

I'm at peace with sticking to old gen for another year or two if needed. If Sony can't figure out how to stop the scalpers, then I'll just play the launch games when they cost $20. There is not very much else on the near horizon that I'm dying to play anyway.
If it’s a principle thing, I get it. But the prices are right around $700 if you’re in the U.S. it’s not a terrible premium to pay.

NickFire

If it’s a principle thing, I get it. But the prices are right around $700 if you’re in the U.S. it’s not a terrible premium to pay.
Honestly its a mix of both, but primarily a principle thing. What I mean is that there isn't enough coming out to make me go against my principles right now. But if Sony and EA stealth dropped, say a PS5 version of The Old Republic, my principles might be flexible within reason.

NullZ3r0

Banned
Microsoft said they'll not have much stock until probably June. So you might be able to purchase a PS5 in September. Might.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I onestly feel bad for all the people without a new console.

this 2022 bullshit is hard to digest.

Astorian

I onestly feel bad for all the people without a new console.

this 2022 bullshit is hard to digest.
It’s painful being without a PlayStation, sold my PS4 in October in preparation for 5 but no luck so far, at least I got a Series X at launch I guess.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It’s painful being without a PlayStation, sold my PS4 in October in preparation for 5 but no luck so far, at least I got a Series X at launch I guess.
I was lucky, here in sicily the gamestop was doing semi-illegal pre-pre-pre orders for ps5, i preordered mine like 6 months before the launch, i knew that with this fucking covid all the people at home were about to buy a new console :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Sony fucked up badly this time (same for M)

Last edited:
PS4 was outselling until around April or May after its release, so I would expect to be able to walk-in a store mid to late April and be able to make an impulsive purchase, which is how I prefer buying consoles.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
is this your first console launch OP? and its a pandemic at that.

did you not witness the wii or ps2?

this shit happens. give it time.

Last edited:

Troglodyte

Banned
Probably early next year. By the time they catch up this year, the holidays will be around the corner and it will be the hottest item once again.

Gamerguy84

I got left in the dust during pre-orders. I tried for an hour but kept failing. I gave up thinking it would be easier to grab one soon.

I didn't try during December because I always end up spending about $6000 during Xmas.

Found a subreddit dedicated to helping people get one. I had two of them a week later following the advice. They are hard to get and it looks like it will get harder.

If your in US I'd be watching walmart, they were in stock 10 minutes ago.

Last edited:

Sejan

How much do ebay sellers make per console on a $700 auction price?
Probably $100-150 after fees depending on shipping and stuff.

Costs:
500-550 after purchase, sales taxes, and shipping to the scalper
50-80 for ebay (depending on final sale price)
? Shipping costs if they are included.

Scalping is most likely unprofitable below $600 and probably not worth it below $650.
I would guess many scalpers would stop buying units if the average price gets below $700 to ensure that they can profitably sell whatever it is they have left in stock.

Obviously, the math changes a bit for the digital edition.

Hezekiah

Banned
Gamers will start looking at Stadia and Luna if they can’t get the hardware they want.

There is a fine line between running up demand and people just getting pissed off, both of them are going to cross it soon.
Yeah this aged real well, you should write for the Sun 💩.

TheMan

July/August you may be able to walk into a store and buy one. You're better off waiting to be honest. After Miles Moralis and Demons Souls Remake there isn't much of a must have reason to own one yet. Hopefully, by mid to late 2021 they'll have some of the kinks worked out (specifically coil whine and missing OS features). Also, I'm personally hoping for a black unit to be released for sale for the holidays. I'll be selling my white PS5 as soon as a black one is announced. Anywho, I know you want one "now" but try to be patient. It's really been a weird launch for both Sony and MS with not much to really justify scrambling to own either new console. At least MS has Gamepass I suppose which does give new owners a huge, instant game library. But if all you care about are new AAA exclusives then neither console is worth the headache of finding one right now.

This is the truth. There was no real killer app at launch id argue, and frankly there's nothing truly spectacular coming out in the near future anyway. If you have a ps4 you're good OP.

Top Bottom