• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It’s almost February. When is the PS5 shortage going to end??

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Did the PS4 have any scalper issues? I don’t seem to recall since I ignored the PS4 until like 10 months after.

Rikkori

Not before well into next year. There's too much competition for 7nm space, so this is how it's going to be until GPUs & CPUs switch to 5nm.

Elios83

I guess we might have some answers when they announce their fiscal results on February 3rd.
Right now it's not clear how production is going vs PS4 because we got no official announcements although it seems like they're basically 1:1 worldwide.
They said they're aiming to ship more PS5s than PS4s during the fiscal year ending March 2021.
First we need to understand if this is still true and then if they're planning to ramp up production quickly in the upcoming months.
But if they're making just 1m PS5s per month shortages will last until the summer months.

Last edited:

WakeTheWolf

The more PS5s in stock, the more that scalpers will take. There are huge companies that are 'professionally scalping' it isn't going to stop anytime soon.

Kimahri

Banned
This is how it always is, but I'm pretty sure covid has a lot to do with it too. There's apparently supply problems due to covid in all things computer related. Shops here are running out of part, laptops, screens are apparently running out too at various sizes. A guy at the store I shop at said it's gotten a lot worse in the last months.

HeresJohnny

I’ve got friends looking for them and they’re gone fast still. At this rate, I’m good waiting for a revision. There’s no downsides — it’ll have a decent library by then, probably cost less, and will hopefully be more reliable. I have a fuckton of PS4 stuff to play in the meantime (I’m just now playing Arkham Knight lol); I can wait 18 months easy enough.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Major chains are starting to get allocated stock in daily now so I’d say another month or two before it starts to get easier, by summer you should be able to walk into a store and buy one. Scalpers with large stock will start to sweat in the coming months and eBay prices will go down.

Topher

Gold Member
Major chains are starting to get allocated stock in daily now so I’d say another month or two before it starts to get easier, by summer you should be able to walk into a store and buy one. Scalpers with large stock will start to sweat in the coming months and eBay prices will go down.

I agree. nowinstock has been monitoring the stock and best buy has been getting daily stock allocations the past few days. I feel like things are getting better, but probably a few more weeks before buying online won't be a chore. Even further out will be the ability to buy in-store.

Sony PlayStation 5 (PS5) Pre-order & In Stock Tracker History - NowInStock.net

aries_71

Since there’s no way I’m getting a ps5/xsx anytime soon, due to the different planetary plagues,I just bought an i7+rtx2060 super. Please, tell me I’m not crazy.

Last edited:

ptuck874

Did the PS4 have any scalper issues? I don’t seem to recall since I ignored the PS4 until like 10 months after.
it did, but just not that in your face and quad the price, but back then I walked into my gamestop, put a reservation in and lined up at midnight and was out in 15 min. that was a completely different timeline it seems now lol, but anyway, people going to be getting biden bucks here soon, and they will be using that with the scalpers, so yeah, at least until april or may....

Moogle11

Banned
It did. Was hard to find until late March, into April, in the US.

The main difference was it wasn’t a pandemic then and the big box stores mostly just sold stock in store where people could one up in the morning and ask if they got any and they could limit to one per person more easily.

Now with almost all being sold online, it’s easier for scalpers with bots to snatch them up. The random drops are harder for many average folk to jump on too vs. finding out what day their local stores tend to have trucks deliver and waiting in the morning before work etc.

Roufianos

I'm hoping MS can gain some ground due to Sonys ineptness. Series X is becoming more and more available but still selling out fast, which suggests ppl may just think fuck playing the game of trying to get a PS5 in the basket before scalpers and go for the easier option..
Microsoft are even more inept. Series X has sold a lot less than PS5 despite every unit being snapped up almost instantly. Their production line is even worse.

NahaNago

remember the wording, dollars sales, not units, ps5 is 20% more expensive, pretty easy to cover the ground with a similar demand. The ps5 total sales seem like they are probably slightly lower than the ps4s, as they seem to be in the UK,. Also, a big part of the cost is scalpers seem much worse this time, about 100k ps5 consoles have been sold on eBay in the US, facebook market place, craiglists, amazon, all add to that number, so maybe 10-20% of the supply being caught up by them is definitely making things worse. Basically the demand is comparable to ps4, but much worse scalpers and the slightly lower amount available coupled with a slightly larger population (about 5% growth since 2013) makes for happy scalpers and annoyed other people
I also don't think this is sony trying to create artificial demand either, I doubt they planned to send 300k to Japan over the first 3 months of the consoles life.
on the bright side ps5's have dropped to about 800 on ebay down from 1000, if scalpers are out of the picture I think most people would find the stock tolerable.
The npd no longer releases unit sales anyways only dollar sales. Which has made npd a lot more boring but your idea that they made more money off less units sold makes sense due to the price increase. I did think that stores would sell out pretty quickly of any stock they had of the ps5 for the first 3 months but that you would still be able to see one out in the wild every now , unfortunately not the case. I'm still not sure if scalper sales on these reseller market places add to the npd numbers.

Rambotito

The 360 didn't normalize until mid April 2006. PS3 was widely available by the beginning of February of 2007. I would guess that Series X will be on store shelves by Feb/March and the PS5 by June. Where I live the Series S is everywhere but not a single Series X to be found. Playstation 5 might as well not exist, I've only seen it listed once from Sears.

MiguelItUp

Man, at this point who knows. If they weren't being scalped still, I'm sure they would be in better standing.

But I don't know. Over the past few weeks I've seen more online availability than in-store. They really need to push on in-store more.

Waiting makes everyone a winner though. More games, price drops, etc. So, it's kind of a silver lining IMO.

Last edited:

RaySoft

What’s your best ETA of when this madness is going to end? How long before I can walk into a Best Buy or go on Amazon and casually checkout with a PS5 without having to spam the refresh and buy button simultaneously trying to compete with bots and scalpers?
April/may.. By that time the market will be saturated enough for the bot's to run & hide

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Just wait for the Pro/Slim versions at this point.
I honestly am considering this myself. I'd love to have a smaller version of the PS5, as much as I like the design. It will likely be a lot more quieter. That is assuming they make a Slim version anyways, but they usually do.

The PS4 is still suiting me fine, and it is unlikely they will stop supporting it for a while. It still has a solid playerbase, especially with the shortages.

Alebrije

tenor.gif

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
that's what i'm doing.

1. all this bullshit will blow over
2. Slim will offer same performance with better efficiency. Pro will obviously give better performance.
3. it will be cheaper. a PS5 here is £450. in 2023 a PS5 will likely be ~£100 cheaper. i can afford a PS5 no problem but hey if i can save a bit of lettuce...
4. by 2023 there will be more than 2 exclusive games worth buying. I ain't missing out on much right now. Only game I'd play is Demon's Souls and that's only cause I never played it on PS3 back in 2009.

Last edited:

Hudo

I honestly am considering this myself. I'd love to have a smaller version of the PS5, as much as I like the design. It will likely be a lot more quieter. That is assuming they make a Slim version anyways, but they usually do.

The PS4 is still suiting me fine, and it is unlikely they will stop supporting it for a while. It still has a solid playerbase, especially with the shortages.

that's what i'm doing.

1. all this bullshit will blow over
2. Slim will offer same performance with better efficiency. Pro will obviously give better performance.
3. it will be cheaper. a PS5 here is £450. in 2023 a PS5 will likely be ~£100 cheaper. i can afford a PS5 no problem but hey if i can save a bit of lettuce...
4. by 2023 there will be more than 2 exclusive games worth buying. I ain't missing out on much right now. Only game I'd play is Demon's Souls and that's only cause I never played it on PS3 back in 2009.
Yeah, I've been doing that as well. There's no point for me to get a console now, even if they were available.

base

Banned
Got my ps5 since the release and all I would like to say is that you should wait. There's no need to hurry. Apart from Demon's Souls, all other games are pretty shit. I was hoping to get ps5 patches for some ps4 games but there are being released later in 2021. No need to hurry IMO.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
My best friend is so frustrated. He’s been trying almost every drop. After I got mine I even tried a few times for him.

It may not return to normal until the pandemic is largely over. Even car manufacturers have had to scale back production because demands for chips and components are so high.

Methos#1975

My best friend is so frustrated. He’s been trying almost every drop. After I got mine I even tried a few times for him.

It may not return to normal until the pandemic is largely over. Even car manufacturers have had to scale back production because demands for chips and components are so high.
Man, we are producing more cars now than we were last year at this time. We ramped up instead of scaling back.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Man, we are producing more cars now than we were last year at this time. We ramped up instead of scaling back.

First car sales dropped for a long while. Then suddenly there was a surge of demand, probably because of all of the left over money in people's savings account who were able to continue working through the pandemic, and production ramped up. Then like most everyone else the car manufacturers ran into chip shortages like everyone else. They recently had a pretty good interview with an industry insider on one of the news podcasts I listen to - NPR or NYT, forget which.

I don't know, I hope I can get one in february. It is currently absolutely impossible to buy one where I live. Not in the markets, not even from scalpers anymore!! You can't get a PS5, even if you were willing to pay 1500 eurodollars for it. Insane demand, don't know how sony will be able to quench the thirst, given the rona is still around and all that.

I'll ship you one for 1500 dollars.

RaySoft

Honestly I'm not sure we'll ever see a Pro version of the PS5. "Slim"? most definitely, but not for at least 3-4 years time. Your best bet is to wait for the small hardware revisions that should hit much sooner. This includes such things as refinement of the mainboard and maybe some even some logic. This is more of a streamline thing were changes are usually unnoticed by the end-user, so externaly there will be no change, but it's a good way of fixing some oversights/bad decisions based on customer data. The PS5 is probably the most forwardly enginered console Sony ever produced. The PS3 needs a mention, but that's only b/c of Cell, but the rest of the hardware couldn't match up. (how could it at the time)

This gen though, the system at it's core, are complemented throughout with borderlining uniformity. There's no obvious "weakest link" this time around.

I'm not saying it's the strongest piece of harware there is, but the power that IS there isn't hampered, by the same std. as before, by the rest of the system.
When all the devs are praising the hardware, this is what they are talking about. We _really_ haven't seen nothing yet of what this powerfull combo will acheive.

Last edited:
I’m thinking the PS5 will be hard to get for at least another year if not longer. Then it might get slightly easier to acquire and that’s being generous. If the Switch is still kind of challenging to find for some locations, I imagine that the PS5 will be pretty tough to get for quite some time.

kyussman

My plan of waiting nine years to play Skyrim so I would have something to do while I waited for the PS5 to be available is proceeding exellently,lol......after a rocky start I'm now enjoying it enough that I can keep playing until PS5 is in the shops again.

Hudo

Sure, wait 3 more years
That's what I am planning to do. Right now neither the hardware, nor its pricing (the PS5 is overpriced IMHO) nor the games available for it are convincing me. This might have changed by the time a Slim or Pro comes out. But I hope that everyone who got one now enjoys it!

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
Nice. BB and Target are probably the best places to get one with Target same day pickup and BB only a week.

I got both mine from BB. I wanted one digi but got disks since it was what was available.
Yeah I agree. I had to do store pickup for mine but a friend is somehow getting best buy to deliver to him.

TheBoss1

As long as we can't go in store everywhere to pre-order/buy, this will continue. When paying online was the only viable option for everyone, I immediately saw where this was heading. Bot users are taking full advantage of this situation, mainly caused by COVID. All they have to do is keep buying all the stock, so the only way to get one is through them.

Top Bottom