• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It’s almost February. When is the PS5 shortage going to end??

Probably by the summer .... I am noticing that more people are finding it easier to get one now.

Most of the big next gen games and updates don’t happen until late summer /early fall so you might as wait until then.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
DentalAnyAfricanwildcat-small.gif

kikkis

Well i doubt 7nm factory capacity is increasing any time if ever anymore. Assuming that is the bottleneck of production.
Assuming 4.2 million ps5s have been sold so far and they started manufacturing at scale them probably few months before launch they could be making ps5s as few as million units per month. So it's gonna be while before there is decent retail availability.

Quantum253

Most of the big next gen games and updates don’t happen until late summer /early fall so you might as wait until than.
I'm patiently waiting for stock. I thought that this summer would be good, but if the system gets the must have games and updates, it's going to go back to hard to find status. Hope not, but this year it might just be the hard to find tech like graphic cards

NahaNago

I find it interesting how FOMO works.

I was thirsting badly for a PS5 for the first month or two after release. Kept trying and failing to nab one.

Now I'm fine waiting to get one when Forbidden West releases.

I'm at peace.
I honestly had forgotten that the whole reason I originally wanted one was to replace my loud ps4 because of all of the hype from the launch but after failing to nab one over and over again , I'm like I'll get one whenever it becomes easily available. I can just play my switch more and catch up on my ps4 backlog.

aries_71

What’s going on? I don’t recall the situation being that bad at X1/PS4 launch. Is this COVID related?

scraz

When the virus is at the point we can Safely have people do normal things like go out to dinner or go see a movie without masks. So 2022 if we are lucky.

D3SCHA1N

Tried to get one during the restock today. Had the page refreshing on walmart.com, got the option to add to cart, got an error, refreshed a couple times and tried a few times, kept getting errors and then it was out of stock...

NahaNago

What’s going on? I don’t recall the situation being that bad at X1/PS4 launch. Is this COVID related?
Isn't it just the demand is a lot higher than the ps4/x1 launch? I do find that weird since the marketing for ps4 was a lot better than the ps5. I thought the ps5 was sold more than the ps4 at launch as well. Nevermind they had better sales for this launch.

From Venturebeats:
“PlayStation 5 finished 2020 as the No. 2 best-selling console in dollar sales, while PlayStation 4 ranked second in units sold,” said Piscatella. “PlayStation 5 set a new dollar sales record for PlayStation hardware through each PlayStation platform’s first December at retail.”

Microsoft has said that Xbox Series X/S is the best launch in Xbox history.

MrA

Isn't it just the demand is a lot higher than the ps4/x1 launch? I do find that weird since the marketing for ps4 was a lot better than the ps5. I thought the ps5 was sold more than the ps4 at launch as well. Nevermind they had better sales for this launch.

From Venturebeats:
“PlayStation 5 finished 2020 as the No. 2 best-selling console in dollar sales, while PlayStation 4 ranked second in units sold,” said Piscatella. “PlayStation 5 set a new dollar sales record for PlayStation hardware through each PlayStation platform’s first December at retail.”

Microsoft has said that Xbox Series X/S is the best launch in Xbox history.
remember the wording, dollars sales, not units, ps5 is 20% more expensive, pretty easy to cover the ground with a similar demand. The ps5 total sales seem like they are probably slightly lower than the ps4s, as they seem to be in the UK,. Also, a big part of the cost is scalpers seem much worse this time, about 100k ps5 consoles have been sold on eBay in the US, facebook market place, craiglists, amazon, all add to that number, so maybe 10-20% of the supply being caught up by them is definitely making things worse. Basically the demand is comparable to ps4, but much worse scalpers and the slightly lower amount available coupled with a slightly larger population (about 5% growth since 2013) makes for happy scalpers and annoyed other people
I also don't think this is sony trying to create artificial demand either, I doubt they planned to send 300k to Japan over the first 3 months of the consoles life.
on the bright side ps5's have dropped to about 800 on ebay down from 1000, if scalpers are out of the picture I think most people would find the stock tolerable.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
End of the year if you don‘t live in the US it seems. We haven‘t had a proper resupply since the release in Europe. I do not have mich hope of getting one for the release on RE8 in May.

Sejan

I’m guessing in the next month or two. Scalper prices on eBay have been steadily going down (a quick eBay scan suggests they are selling in the $800-850 range right now). Between people managing to nab them on restocks and others buying scalped products, supply is slowly starting to match demand which necessarily reduces their perceived value.

Either way, once the profit margin on scalped consoles drops below a certain point, scalpers will be forced to stop buying them for fear of losing money. When that happens they will become far more readily available to the masses. Even if they still sell out relatively quickly, they should last a little longer on online stores without a bunch of bots snatching them up before the average customer is even able to see them. Either way, there aren’t a lot of games out yet, so I’m cool with waiting a little longer as necessary.

Last edited:

Zeeed

Not sure if this makes a difference, but the official launch for the PS5 in India will be February 2, 2021.
So maybe some/a lot/most of their stock is going to regions that haven't even received a launch yet?
Just guessing, I don't know how international region launches work.

Alan Wake

I'll get one in the fall sometime. There's not much to play on it (exclusive content I mean) at this stage anyway. Same goes for Xbox Series.

Gamerguy84

I read an article from digitimes they want to Increase production by retooling a PS4 factory and pump out "up to" 18 million this year. They wont. Can they even get the parts to put them together?

When Xmas shopping ramps up again next fall, if they are in stock, they will sell out instantly again throughout holiday.

I personally don't think until mid 2022.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I find it interesting how FOMO works.

I was thirsting badly for a PS5 for the first month or two after release. Kept trying and failing to nab one.

Now I'm fine waiting to get one when Forbidden West releases.

I'm at peace.
TBH what are you really missing right now? Demon Souls remake, which seems destined to be treated like it was on PS3 (most people bought it when it was cheap) and Astors Playroom (not going anywhere and a strong tech demo)

On the Xbox side they are finally getting their first Series exclusive next week with “The Medium”

Are you really missing out by not owning a next gen console at this time?

All the demand seems to be based off stock shortages and hope for the future.

I love both my series X, but sometimes forget how good I have it vs those that can’t get one.

Last edited:

GenericUser

I don't know, I hope I can get one in february. It is currently absolutely impossible to buy one where I live. Not in the markets, not even from scalpers anymore!! You can't get a PS5, even if you were willing to pay 1500 eurodollars for it. Insane demand, don't know how sony will be able to quench the thirst, given the rona is still around and all that.

Rodolink

I honestly had forgotten that the whole reason I originally wanted one was to replace my loud ps4 because of all of the hype from the launch but after failing to nab one over and over again , I'm like I'll get one whenever it becomes easily available. I can just play my switch more and catch up on my ps4 backlog.
exactly like me, I'm just resigned now playing latest games with a turbo jet sound, that mf* better last until summer 😤

Enjay

Banned
What’s your best ETA of when this madness is going to end? How long before I can walk into a Best Buy or go on Amazon and casually checkout with a PS5 without having to spam the refresh and buy button simultaneously trying to compete with bots and scalpers?
Everything they made has been sold. Won't be easy to get one from retail for a few years at least.

Kagey K

Banned
Everything they made has been sold. Won't be easy to get one from retail for a few years at least.
This will be the slowest transition to next gen ever, by your take.

They aren’t going to stop making PS4/XB1 games if they are combined 5 million in sales in a few years yet.

Production needs to ramp up soon, or we are going to be ending the gen when a bunch of people that want it haven’t even been able to buy it yet.

Bryank75

Banned
Demand will remain higher than supply for the entire year..

However people here and in more core gaming circles will all get theirs in the next 6-9 months I think.
There are many types of people after that, that will still be looking for these a year or so after that and people who will wait till it's on a shelf even after that....probably mid to late 2022.

Kagey K

Banned
Demand will remain higher than supply for the entire year..

However people here and in more core gaming circles will all get theirs in the next 6-9 months I think.
There are many types of people after that, that will still be looking for these a year or so after that and people who will wait till it's on a shelf even after that....probably mid to late 2022.
That would be catastrophic for the entire industry.

Bryank75

Banned
That would be catastrophic for the entire industry.
Well, it seems like AMD just don't have enough production capacity to supply right now. unless Sony paid them to divert resources away from consumer cards or other customers... but that would probably break contracts. I really don't know what they can do....

Kagey K

Banned
Well, it seems like AMD just don't have enough production capacity to supply right now. unless Sony paid them to divert resources away from consumer cards or other customers... but that would probably break contracts. I really don't know what they can do....
Gamers will start looking at Stadia and Luna if they can’t get the hardware they want.

There is a fine line between running up demand and people just getting pissed off, both of them are going to cross it soon.

Astorian

Gamers will start looking at Stadia and Luna if they can’t get the hardware they want.

There is a fine line between running up demand and people just getting pissed off, both of them are going to cross it soon.
Lol I’m sure you don’t believe what you type.

truth411

Isnt the Trump Tax for consoles back in affect for the U.S.
25% Tariff. That maybe a cause for the U.S. waiting to be eliminated not just deferred like last year.

Top Bottom