• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is you tube actually giving smaller gaming channels some promotion?

Anyone else noticing video recommendations lately with less than 1000 views? Sometimes even less than 100 views? Anyone with smaller you tube channels noticing more people discovering your content? Has you tube commented on some recent changes?

Considering how you tube has seemed more like them tube in recent years, with corporate run channels getting loads of attention, and special exceptions to the content rules everyone else has to deal with, I'm a bit surprised to see small channels being recommended.

I've been clicking on these channels whenever I can, because why not give a smaller channel some support, and maybe even discover a great creator earlier that almost everyone else. But what are you all noticing lately? Have you seen these changes?

Yes I have noticed this. I see a lot of new channels with a small bunch of videos that are really good. I’m actually surprised t how many channels there are with less than 1000 subscribers. They deserve to get pushed by the algorithms. Not sure about this but it could be that you gain more exposure if people watch your videos in their entirety.

SJRB

Gold Member
Youtube: "we want to recommend new and exciting channels that appeal to your preferences!"
Also Youtube: "here's a bunch of videos you've already seen, I don't give a fuck. Nope, refreshing won't do anything. Here, go watch some ads while you're at it you donkey"

SaintALia

They've always done this no? They just prioritise bigger channels, but they'll slip in a couple lesser known channels, or channels that's doing numbers. I remember that Asian chick who did a video on Mulan only had a few subs and numbers when I got recommended the video, and then that channel blew up.

"Also Youtube: "here's a bunch of videos you've already seen, I don't give a fuck. Nope, refreshing won't do anything. Here, go watch some ads while you're at it you donkey"

They also do that shit a lot too. They also love to shove certain channels on you. I've watched about two Scott the Woz videos and never really liked them and Youtube keeps recommending me that channel for years despite not clicking on that guy's videos. It feels like frickin Training Day("if you don't smoke this shit, we're gonna have a problem"). And I don't want to click 'Don't recommend channel', because I don't know how it'll mess with my recommendations.

Spyxos

Youtube got new Ceo, there will probably be other changes. And yes I have also noticed that I suddenly see small channels as well.

Top Bottom