• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you frequent any specific sites for gaming news?

jcorb

I used to have a handful of gaming sites I would check, usually multiple times a day. Game Informer, 1Up, Kotaku, occasionally IGN… honestly, quite a few.

I was thinking about it recently, though, and I realized that I really don’t frequent *any* gaming sites anymore, other than Wowhead specifically for World of Warcraft news (a game I don’t even play anymore…).

Most of my gaming news, I just sort of absorb through social media. Seeing stuff plastered all over twitter, or facebook. That’s pretty much it.

I have a couple of channels on youtube I’ll watch now and then, but thinking about it, most of that is just watching folks review old games (and even then, Josh Strife Hayes is about the only one I actively seek out).

Curious how you guys feel? Do you have gaming sites you check regularly? If so, what has you coming back? Is it specific writers you think share you tastes in games, or give really thorough reviews?

Just kind of curious how you all get your gaming news!

Kurotri

GAF and Twitter, with a bit of Youtube as well. Back in the old days I used to frequent multiple forums (I can't even remember their names anymore) and some dedicated sites like gametrailers.

Last edited:

Bond007

I used to check IGN daily.
As a teen/20s multiple times a day. PSX.com/N64.com/Gametrailers.com/Gamepro.com/Gamefaqs

i cant stand their layout. I actually just get my news here now as it breaks and/or just watch the presentations from the companies themselves.

Twitter (X), Reddit, Youtube, Discord.

That said, all the important news gets posted on GAF anyway.

Edit: Regarding Discord, I have a bot on my disc server that gets me the latest news from the purple forum as it gets posted since they're usually faster with breaking news. :p

image.png

Last edited:

poodaddy

Gaf, LevelOneTechs, and Yannis Pappas are the entirety of my news sources these days. A game forum, a tech forum, and a comedian.....seems to work well for me.

SHA

Google feeds, no specific sites, just scrolling down, on yt doesn't worth it cause usually loud people regurgitating articles, I prefer streamers or someone, from his relaxed voice, you could tell he did put some effort on the stuff he's interested and talk about it.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
GAF and Google alerts. Sometimes I’ll check Gaming-Age because I still long for the communion of GAF and GA. 🥺

Celcius

°Temp. member
I thought about this a few years ago. What if news gets announced but there just doesn't happen to be a GAF thread created about it?
So now in addition to checking GAF I also use

IAmRei

Gematsu, and gaf, nintendo life,
and sometimes checking famiboard. Gematsu is the longest i watched regularly since almost a decade ago. Still, sometimes getting sours from comments.

Used to see 1up, but 1up dies left me sour back then.

I'm also often go to hardcoregaming101, an old site, and learn many things there. But its for retro or historical side of gaming.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I stick with GAF and MMO Champion for my news. Plus whatever may pop up on the PlayStation, Nintendo, or PSVROnParole YouTube channels.

I used to use 1up, back when they were still around. It is a shame what happened to them. Seeing where many of the biggest names ended up, maybe it was a good thing it died when it did. So I didn’t have to see it puppeted by mentally ill shitstains.

Miles708

Gematsu mostly, the dude behind it is doing a great job and does his best for clear titles, no clickbait and some more specific websites for japanese games coverage

Thumbs up for Gematsu

Also Siliconera is another good one.

They're the only 2 sites i go to nowadays. I just ignore everything else.

Audiophile

Gold Member
Used to use N4G back in the PS3 days (as it aggregates news) plus the official eu playstation forums.

Now I just keep an eye on GAF & X/Twitter.

I thought about this a few years ago. What if news gets announced but there just doesn't happen to be a GAF thread created about it?
So now in addition to checking GAF I also use

Both Gematsu and Noisy Pixel are good sources for Japanese gaming news. I recommend following them both on X/Twitter.

GymWolf

No, i only check reviews to get an idea of the amount of content like weapon or enemy variety but half the times they are not even good for that so i have to trust my gut or maybe someone with similar taste.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Gematsu is by far and wide the best one, all the other ones just post opinion drivel all day or don't cover everything.

Jesb

Mostly just here. I follow a few reddits I’ll visit from time to time that post news and rumours.

Mahavastu

not really anything but here at Gaf.
I am quite confident that if something even remotely interesting happens, someone will post it here...

ZoukGalaxy

Not anymore since I check neogaf mostly everyday, I'm so tired of these pseudo "journalist" and all the stupid sponsored content and fake positive "review" of deep shit games (Hello Deathloop/Redfall).

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Gematsu, Automaton, Famitsu, NoisyPixel, and the official social media accounts. I'm pretty much covered in what interests me in announcements, interviews, and topics that aren't posted anywhere else.

Don't really like IGN, Gameinformer, etc. Always feels like they're too full of themselves than just reporting.

The last time I did this was planetquake and bluesnews. I guess there was a period where I frequented 1up.

Now, I often don't even know about a game until the release is imminent. I try to enjoy what I have.

DonF

just gaf. I used to frequent kotaku, gamespot, ign, gametrailers and gamefaqs, but that was like a decade ago.
now I get my news (and AI generated art) from there, and then reviews on youtube.

Leonidas

Used to back in the day, but I don't really see the point in doing so these days. I don't really get excited for new releases like I did a long time ago.

These days instead of looking at gaming news I play my backlog. I beat like 40 games last year.

Mr Hyde

GAF mostly. Some YouTube like Spawn Wave, Switch up, Fextralife or Mystic. Once in a blue moon I browse Push square or Nintendo Life.

MarkMe2525

I try to use sources outside of social media (which includes gaf). Too often "news" is missrepresented or extrapolated to hell to fit a particular bias, to solely rely on social media. I made it a habit to always read sources when they are available. I realize that these always are not always realible as well, but it helps.

Top Bottom