• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the $299 XBOX Series S REALLY worth it? | MVG - Xbox Series S review

Then what's the point of buying next gen consoles at all. They sure will drop in price in the future and the games won't dissappear out of existance. Your argument doesn't make any sense.

People buying a Series S right now, can play all current and future MS games on Series S for a budget price.
Meanwhile they can enjoy all the advantages of a next gen console design. Don't know why people are over-complicating the issue all the time.
You buy a PS5 to play PS5 exclusives, of course.

And it is not a BUDGET price. $299 is litterally the most expensive price Series S would ever be. If you think it is a bargain then you have no idea how to save money as a gamer. And we are talking about someone who already own a current gen machine, which means he could already play current and future MS games while paying zero dollars.

Once again, you are pretending it is fine to not have 1st party exclusives ready. In the next few moths we will see who is right. You, or the entire gaming industry that existed as far as any of us remembered it.

If you don't see how its better then jesus christ, i don't think anyone could explain it to you. For a start, the CPU difference is vast. A Zen2 processor in the S vs the Jaguar in the One X or PS4 Pro isn't even a competition, the Series S will benefit from far more reliable and higher framerates in general as well as keeping the console itself fast and snappy all round.

yes and no

you can get 60 fps as long as only the CPU was the bottleneck but that is assuming you are running the game logic at 60 fps too, you can have a 30(or lower) fps game logic and 60 fps rendering with smoothing and get away with it

one x can in theory lower its graphics setting and run game's heavy scripts or all scripts or logic in general at lower framerater and have the "same" framerate as series s version of the game

of course there will be problems and is game developer's call to adjust the framerate as always it depends what the game do, most cases can indeed be as you say just to not complicate work but you cannot give it for granted that it will be always the case as there are workarounds

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I totally understand that the XSS has its place and I’m not expecting miracles from it and that’s fine, but what have we seen visually that shows that it’s superior in every category to the current generation? I just think it’s premature to say the XSS at this point annihilate the PS4 Pro and One X in every category without seeing some legitimate next generation games proving it.

Newer games does not equate to being way better, it’s just newer games for a new generation. When I see something on XSS look much better than Doom Eternal or RDR2 on the One X, then i feel it’s much better.

Why does the system need to demonstrate visually that it is beyond the 1X? By next fall games will start releasing that are next-gen only, the XSS will play those the 1X won't, there's your value (along with the huge upgrade in CPU/Storage speed). Plus, the 1X is a product of the past and not something currently available.

Why does the system need to demonstrate visually that it is beyond the 1X? By next fall games will start releasing that are next-gen only, the XSS will play those the 1X won't, there's your value (along with the huge upgrade in CPU/Storage speed). Plus, the 1X is a product of the past and not something currently available.

It doesn’t necessarily need to because as you said it’s new, but if people in this very thread are stating that it decimates a PS4 Pro and the One X in all categories, shouldn’t that translate into considerably better visuals and performance?

Not a necessity, but I would imagine most people would expect ample improvements from a next generation console. Again, I can’t judge it until I see what I can really do with proper optimization and development though,especially for the cost.

DaGwaphics

It doesn’t necessarily need to because as you said it’s new, but if people in this very thread are stating that it decimates a PS4 Pro and the One X in all categories, shouldn’t that translate into considerably better visuals and performance?

Not a necessity, but I would imagine most people would expect ample improvements from a next generation console. Again, I can’t judge it until I see what I can really do with proper optimization and development though,especially for the cost.

I believe the results already demonstrate considerable gains over current gen. Just not on resolution.

For example the XSS can run the next-gen patch for Fortnite, 1X and PS4 Pro can not do the same. XSS may not improve framerate or resolution over those systems, but it does enable "almost all" of the enhancements brought forward by the next-gen patch on XSX (according to Epic).

Top Bottom