• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Sony kinda lost with the PS5?

Is Sony kinda lost with te PS5?

• Total voters

sixamp

Anyone thinking the difference between the ps5 and xbsx is actually gonna hurt the ps5 in anyway is out of their damn mind. The real world power difference will minimal

Bootzilla

Banned
I think the Gap is similar to XBone and PS4, just reversed. I wonder how much it even matters at this point, though. There's kind of a dminishing returns thing.

Matsuchezz

I did not sound to me like they are lost. It seems that they put a lot of thought on the machine, balancing power and features, and betting on SSDD and the 3D audio sounds really cool. I am excited about PS5 because it is a generational leap from PS4 Pro, and with that I am really excited to see what the Sony Studios are able to create for the PS5 and looking at PS4 Pro game library, I can only let my mind wonder at that potential.
As a fan of the PS brand I would have loved that the SPECS on the Frenquencies on both PS5's CPU and GPU were the same or really close to XsX. But after the initial shock, I have stayed with the brand for the games I enjoy to play. And my game library reflects that, Looking at the MS game studios offerings I do not care about, I will probably get an XsX down the road, for the Ninja Theory and playdead games, other than I could not care less for MSGS. In the end the higher spec on XboneX did not make me go out ad buy one. I am looking forward to the PS5 unveiling and the games we are going to be playing later this year and beyond.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

If it carried forward 100% full PS4 BC and it was about 100 dollars cheaper than the X, I wouldn't really give a crap that it's just this much weaker on the CPU/GPU with the SSD as an advantage.

Buuut, the BC story was messed up...It's still all about the games, but so far Microsoft has been executing far better I'd say.

h00jraq

Neo Member
Games sell consoles, not otherwise. Problem with Xbox is that M$ does not really have studios like Sony Santa Monika, Naugthy Dog, Team ICO or Guerilla Games. From software also made DS and Bloodborne.
I do not remember single Xbox One exclusives which made me thinking about buying XO. I bought only for RDR 2 and DMC 5 because I got really good deal. With good PC, you do not really need Xbox Scarlet.

I will not play new God Of War or TLoU or Ghost of Tsushima on XO or PC. Not mentioning DS remake or Horizon Zero Dawn 2.

Guys we gotta chill, I mean what if they announced Spider-man 2 as a launch title and they purchased those Konami IPs for Kojima to oversee the remakes for and to direct as films?

What if... you just gotta believe?

Last edited:

Fbh

I've mainly played on Ps4 this gen but it's starting to look like they just got really lucky with the base Ps4, both by how much MS botched the original Xb1 reveal as well as them insisting on Kinect.
Seems like the Ps4 pro vs Xb1 X was the first glimpse. Where for a reasonable price up you get a much nicer machine with the 1X

Hopefully their first party studios are bringing their A game next gen because it's looking like they are going to depend on them a lot more than this gen

Last edited:
Priceless. And if XBOX continues to have averages games while Sony continue to knock it out of the park with exclusives you'll still play on XBOX because of a TF advantage?

It's like saying I'm not eating that sandwich, I'm having this one instead, but you don't know what's in either of them.
One sandwich is overheated and not edible while the other sandwich skimped on meat.

PocoJoe

Banned
Well, they've lost me as a customer. I suspect many others will follow suit.

Explain your reasoning/logic?

So you just always buy the fastest console, not caring anything about the ecosystem, size of system, games, IPs, controller, brand, price?

because only thing we saw is the specs, nothing about games, size, other stuff yet.

That is just stupid, if minor differences on specs is so important.

This aint one vs ps4 situation, where that power cap really made the difference of 720p vs 1080p.

I'm bit disappointed too, but it wont nullify the brand, superior controller, superior games&series, back log of hundreds of ps4 games.

StormCell

I've had an interesting thought about Sony and the PS5. I'm more convinced that they've conceded the power race. They clearly wanted to follow the XSX deep dive, and they wanted to eat the elephant whole with the concession of power. The thing we maybe didn't realize is that the PS5 isn't the moment where they chose to concede the power race. The fact is, they conceded it with the Pro and saw that things turned out fine. They're going to do this again, and they're going to see how it floats.

I'm not a fanboy of either of these companies. I only care about games and don't care about the outcome for Sony. My hope is that the market can recover and start to provide us better games in more genres than what we currently get.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I'm a little disappointed to be honest.

Not because of the hardware, because the hardware is pretty okay. But the way they dealt the presentation. Back in 1999 with the PS2, they only showed the Emotion Engine(the CPU) and demo'd it with several franchises. Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo, Ridge Racer, Tekken and so on.

That created a huge wave of momentum, and they rode that to enormous success. They didn't even name or show the console until much later, but they put the games right up front.

That's what I was expecting them to do, and they're not doing it.

Last edited:

MHubert

It was a livestream of the first concrete info they had ever given about the PS5 since a random Wired article forever ago that barely mentioned the use of a SSD. They knew it would be hyped and knew a lot of people (not just a handful of developers) would be watching.

And they showed...whatever the hell that was. It was a really bad move. It didn't need to be a public showing in a live format to just give information that only developers would care about with the only real takeaway being that it's theoretically less powerful than the Halo machine.
For me, this was like christmas; A spec reveal without marketing buzzwords en masse and all the details about the hardware you could ever possibly hope for. But, different strokes for different folks I guess...

Also, I don't think they would have chosen this approach if forums like gaf and era hadn't developed a next-gen hype culture fuelled by techno-babble that only a few of the posters actually understand. So trust me, this presentation wasn't solely targeting developers.

bosnianpie

I will buy a PS5, there's no doubt about that and I don't think Sony is "lost" but they certainly got an annoying approach to this console reveal. It's obvious they're not checking the pulse of their fanbase.

MS strategy is pretty straightforward and I respect that. Series X has been shown and that's what they have to offer this time. Sony on the other hand is like "here's the PS5 logo :messenger_sunglasses: pretty neat, right?". That was more than 2 months ago, what kind of fked up tease is that? I don't blame fans for losing their patience.

StormCell

I'm a little disappointed to be honest.

Not because of the hardware, because the hardware is pretty okay. But the way they dealt the presentation. Back in 1999 with the PS2, they only showed the Emotion Engine(the CPU) and demo'd it with several franchises. Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo, Ridge Racer, Tekken and so on.

That created a huge wave of momentum, and they rode that to enormous success. They didn't even name or show the console until much later, but they put the games right up front.

That's what I was expecting them to do, and they're not doing it.

I had this exact thought. I'm not sure why Sony felt it had to put the PS5 out there the very day after the XSX technical deep dive in an apples to apples comparison. They've chosen to eat the whole elephant at once, though. What does that buy them?

Their best strategy is to play up their very extensive list of exclusives, or so I would think.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
If you are tossed to and fro by PR, your feelings on which brand is "kinda lost" will change from week to week.

I wouldn't stress too much. What's the worst that happens, you don't buy it? 🤷‍♀️

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
It feels that Sony is not even trying to compete with MS, like they don't care about it.
They doing it right. What for? So that a bunch of nerds who know the Tflops numbers by hart would have a hard on? They know the market, fans don't. Fans live in an alternate reality, that's all. What if MS and Sony are wanking each others' dicks in a back alley while they pretend to be worst enemies.

llien

Uh, guys, PS5 beats original expectations (between Vega56 and Vega64) we had in the console speculations thread.

It's not that PS5 GPU is underwhelming, it's that Microsoft was really serious about perf gap revenge.

😂😂😂

Have no idea who gave the greenlight for such a presentation. In 2020 who still does stuff like this.

Did anyone actually do anything like this BEFORE? When you think about it, this is actually really 2019/2020. We used to get fireworks and hot girls showing you the GameCube now we get some soy chugging bottom telling you about threeeee deeeee audio

source.gif

Explain your reasoning/logic?

So you just always buy the fastest console, not caring anything about the ecosystem, size of system, games, IPs, controller, brand, price?

because only thing we saw is the specs, nothing about games, size, other stuff yet.

That is just stupid, if minor differences on specs is so important.

This aint one vs ps4 situation, where that power cap really made the difference of 720p vs 1080p.

I'm bit disappointed too, but it wont nullify the brand, superior controller, superior games&series, back log of hundreds of ps4 games.

Not been impressed with their gaming output of late. If I'm paying 400 or so I want the best hardware for my money.

Trogdor1123

Well... Ms is clearly in the drivers seat so far this generation. It's not even close right now... Maybe Sony will be able to pull a rabbit out of its hat.

I was a bit interested in the psvr section. That is one part that could gain a significant amount of improvement.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I think after MS has shown off Xbox is a really good way, the main thing that boggles me is the production values on this 'reveal'. Sony usually is known for their marketing, not their tech. But they blew the marketing part. I know a REAL reveal with games will be very different. But in the internet era you can't just open with a 16-bit Mark Cerny talking boring shit in front of a gif audience.

Aion002

I think after MS has shown off Xbox is a really good way, the main thing that boggles me is the production values on this 'reveal'. Sony usually is known for their marketing, not their tech. But they blew the marketing part. I know a REAL reveal with games will be very different. But in the internet era you can't just open with a 16-bit Mark Cerny talking boring shit in front of a gif audience.
Yes! The production of that stream was way bizarre.... So weird, ever since the last Sony E3 presentation, things started getting weird over Sony, their last TGS and PS Experience were also bizarre...

Top Bottom