• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Sony and Microsoft in a bidding war for Konami IP?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The Konami IP's are better off with Konami and being dead then with MS.
I have no faith in anyone other then the original developers
And despite people thinking Sony buying them would only be something Sony fans want (which I'm sure the most zealous do)
it's also what most fans would want as that's where the original Devs to Silent Hill are now.
As for MGS well, Kojima isn't first party to Sony but I'd definitely say he is Second Party Studio to Sony.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
I wonder if PES with either Sony or Microsoft's deep pockets behind it could wrestle official licensing away from EA's Fifa series?

I'd love to see those cunts go down the pan.

diffusionx

Gold Member

Selling off your most valuable properties that have been the core of your business for decades for a short term cash infusion is really bad and no business would do it unless they’re on deaths door. Interplay selling off Fallout or THQ getting chopped up, that sort of thing. Konami is not in that situation.

Even if Konami 2020 has no interest in working on these games, maybe the Konami 2025 will want to and it makes no sense to cripple your company’s future for no reason.

I think this is all fanboy stuff and would be shocked were it true. Maybe they license it to somebody but that’s different.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Selling off your most valuable properties that have been the core of your business for decades for a short term cash infusion is really bad and no business would do it unless they’re on deaths door. Interplay selling off Fallout or THQ getting chopped up, that sort of thing. Konami is not in that situation.

Even if Konami 2020 has no interest in working on these games, maybe the Konami 2025 will want to and it makes no sense to cripple your company’s future for no reason.

I think this is all fanboy stuff and would be shocked were it true. Maybe they license it to somebody but that’s different.
Maybe they'll make new IP. Selling off the ones that are essentially dead weight to them might not be a terrible idea. Especially if they don't have the talent to capitalize on it anymore.

i hope it happens with silent hill and castlevania. however i hope konami continues invest mostly in pachinko, as those games are fire and i prefer them over most AAA games out today.

Last edited:
It would be a Megaton and a huge slap in the face if they did buy Metal Gear. I think people would be pissed to the point of boycotting Xbox to be honest.

It would make a lot of people angry for sure, but I’m not sure why someone who planned to buy an Xbox would change their mind if this came true.

Moses85

I'd still prefer capcom

I was hyped and also thankful for Capcoms RE2 Remake but with RE3 Remake proofed me, this was a lucky shot!

Finished RE3 Remake in my first playthrough in 4 hous!! Half of the content of the original is missing.

Well, Konami is worth $ 3.5 billion. Anything offered lower than that for Konami or ALL of their IPs is a fucking pittance in comparison. There was another Pastebin on the same day that MS offered 500 million. That is way too low for all the IPs, at least by Konami’s standards, I’d speculate.

There is no way Sony or Microsoft are outright buying their IPs.

Konami is also in the middle of hiring and expanding their digital entertainment branch for their IPs.

One thing we might see is companies vying to purchase a license of Konami IPs.

The Japanese government is highly protective of Japanese corporations.

Don‘t believe everything you hear from random Pastebin articles, random websites, or random 4chan or Reddit posts.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
If it's true i hope Sony gets MGS and Silent Hill and maybe Castlevania, i wouldn't trust MS with these IP's
'youre nuts! NT would OWN Silent Hill. TC would smash MGS and.............well, I dont know who would work on Castlevania just yet. Maybe Initiative. But all three would be in very good hands with either of these teams.

farmerboy

I don't care if these properties are bought, leased, given away or Konami takes interest in them again. Just start making more games in these franchises again please!

Basically this.

Though I dont think this rumour is true, there may be a grain of truth to one of them looking to fund a new entry into one of the franchises.

I think Sony doing Castlevania or funding Konami to do it would be a fantastic fit.

Last edited:
I don’t know how western developers would handle these games. I really have my doubts. Well, I know the western attempts at SH were fucking trash.

I don’t mind the MS platform, though games like this have historically sold much better on PS and Nintendo consoles.

Just let a company lease Konami’s IPs and keep them away from Stadia.

Last edited:
If MS wants to make a big splash in japan and gain new audiences, a deal like this makes sense for MS. MS will have to invest BIG LEAGUE

I seriously doubt it. Just a bunch of unfounded rumors playing against themselves.

Konami is much more than a gaming company and they use these IPs for plenty of things outside of gaming.
Read the article. It states MS would still have to pay royalties on any potential remaster of old Konami games and Konami would still be able to make games based on the Konami IPs for their arcade machines.

I don’t know how western developers would handle these games. I really have my doubts. Well, I know the western attempts at SH were fucking trash.

I don’t mind the MS platform, though games like this have historically sold much better on PS and Nintendo consoles.

Just let a company lease Konami’s IPs and keep them away from Stadia.
People didn't read the articles. Apparently, MS is also taking the ex Konami devs and starting up a big new studio in japan called Xbox Game Studios Japan as a beacon to gain japanese devs to make new games from the Konami ips

The Alien

Banned
The only glimmer that this could happen is because Konami is profiys more & spends less with all the pachinko shit they're doing.

The IPs, in a traditional video game sense, are probably not a priority for Konami. If MS or Sony wants to pay a ton of cash (in addition to a cut of remasters), why not?

I also don't think the rumored terms are super great (cut of remasters, etc). So for that reason, and that MS wants to double up on Japan (new Japanses created studio) and has money to throw around, I'd give the edge to Microsoft. However, I'll always think of these as Sony games (lol).

All that being said....megaton if it happens.
But it wont. Lol

Vawn

Banned
Read the article. It states MS would still have to pay royalties on any potential remaster of old Konami games and Konami would still be able to make games based on the Konami IPs for their arcade machines.

I get that, but these rumors happen 100 times a day. There is no reason to believe that either Sony or MS are buying, renting or whatever with Konami's IPs. These rumors come up all the time with both.

I get that, but these rumors happen 100 times a day. There is no reason to believe that either Sony or MS are buying, renting or whatever with Konami's IPs. These rumors come up all the time with both.
All the time? I've seen one rumor for both companies.

Personally, I think this is a good thing. It's probably the only chance we'll get remasters or new AAA games made for the cherished ips. Konami has little money, no long owns Kojima Prod and we saw what Konami did with that horrible MGS Survive trash

SleepDoctor

Banned
This thread should have died awhile ago. It would be nice to see anyone take these ios from konami but this shit ain't happening.

near

Gold Member
Pretty sure Konami use some of these ips for pachinko machines and still make healthy profits. If there is a bidding war it would be to license ips akin to what Cygames did with Zone of the Enders.

I HIGHLY doubt Konami would ever sell their IP’s, but I guess you never know. Honestly though, Konami probably knows that those particular IP’s would appeal more to the Sony demographic though for the obvious reasons. Guess it wouldn’t matter if Microsoft paid them handsomely for them though.

Last edited:
Konami is having their most profitable years ever. I’m aware of the rumor that MS would make a Japanese studio with Konami IPs, but I don’t know how much faith to put in a Pastebin where it originated.

It is also a myth their gambling division is their most profitable, Their digital entertainment division is.

Are you sure about that? Because right now, most of Konami's money comes from pachinko machines and an agreement with either Sony or Microsoft would involve letting them use those IPs on pachinko machines.
I'll let you do the maths, which is the most profitable ?
selling video games worldwide or pachinko machines in japan.

Stuart360

How about both buy them, and then they can release the games on both consoles. A bit of harmony in this tense season.

I would hate to see these IP in Microsoft hands. Their battle expanded first party studios very quickly and we don't really know what theyre capable of yet. I can't really marry a studio to an IP here.

Top Bottom