• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Sony and Microsoft in a bidding war for Konami IP?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
We all know it's been rumored that Sony has been looking into buying IP from Konami.

Apparently there's a new leak saying that Microsoft may be also looking into buying the IP.

Here's the link, courtesy of Gamerant...let's discuss:

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I think Microsoft is really hungry, but I don't think they would buy Metal Gear. Who's gonna develop it...Kojima? That just seems far fetched. Now Castlevania on the other hand. Seems plausible.

It would be a Megaton and a huge slap in the face if they did buy Metal Gear. I think people would be pissed to the point of boycotting Xbox to be honest.

SCB3

I think Microsoft is really hungry, but I don't think they would buy Metal Gear. Who's gonna develop it...Kojima? That just seems far fetched. Now Castlevania on the other hand. Seems plausible.

It would be a Megaton and a huge slap in the face if they did buy Metal Gear. I think people would be pissed to the point of boycotting Xbox to be honest.

Are Kojima Productions independent though? They could in theory do it

BlackTron

I doubt current Xbox gamers will boycott it because they suddenly have Metal Gear. The rest weren't Xbox fans to begin with.

TBH I wish Microsoft would buy every exclusive property so I can just play them all on PC anyway lol.

Inviusx

I don't see why they would need to buy them outright. If they honestly think those IPs are worth the money just lease them or sign an exclusivity contract.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I doubt current Xbox gamers will boycott it because they suddenly have Metal Gear. The rest weren't Xbox fans to begin with.

TBH I wish Microsoft would buy every exclusive property so I can just play them all on PC anyway lol.
true, but there are people who do buy both, like myself. This wouldn't dissuade me from buying an Xbox, but some people can be pretty petty when it comes to things like this.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I don't see why they would need to buy them outright. If they honestly think those IPs are worth the money just lease them or sign an exclusivity contract.
That could be an option too, but if this rumor is true, I would assume they thought about that.

BlackTron

true, but there are people who do buy both, like myself. This wouldn't dissuade me from buying an Xbox, but some people can be pretty petty when it comes to things like this.

Guess I find it confusing. Someone was going to buy a system, until it gets an exclusive game, then they decide not to buy it.

Hard to understand, lol.

Oh please yes, I want to see to meltdowns.

And by the way: Konami is doing fucking nothing with its IPs (other then ruining them). So yes, let them be used, maybe by some talented devs.

Also, mandatory: fuck Konami.

Last edited:

Sota4077

Yeah if someone is boycotting a console because Microsoft/Sony bought up a series that they enjoy I highly doubt they ever owned or intended to own that console in the first place, haha.

Last edited:

Windows-PC

Banned
This would absolutely make sense for Microsoft, they struggling with 1st Party games, have alot more money than I do, and with that they would instantly increase and strengthen their Portfolio with beloved IP's.

Microsoft owning the IPs would certainly hurt Sony in the sense that they are globally recognized franchises that would only be on Xbox if it happens, potentially allowing them to sell more consoles.

Sony would benefit immensely by acquiring these IPs that started on Playstation and it would certainly help sell consoles.

Whoever wins this is important, if true.

If Americans were to aquire these IP then that would be absolutely horrifying. Japanese IP don't need no hamburger gameplay and that's besides all the inevitable diversity and inclusion initiatives that will rape whatever it was into fine dust.

Konami would be a superb addition to SCEI. They would offer a huge boon for the Japan studios that have taken a back seat these past years. Imagine Castlevania from the team who made Nioh and SCEJA, Kojima return to Metal Gear and Silent Hill back with team Silent, incubated at Sony. Would make sense to acquire Kojima and Bluepoint and then you've got a recipe for success. But with Microsoft snapping things up like they are they should expect retaliation. I would get a decent stake in Namco, Square, Capcom and SEGA. Western publishers are not likely to be acquired.

Banned
If Americans were to aquire these IP then that would be absolutely horrifying. Japanese IP don't need no hamburger gameplay and that's besides all the inevitable diversity and inclusion initiatives that will rape whatever it was into fine dust.

uhm, dude... Sony is by far the most aggressive company out there when it comes to pushing american wokeness. they go so far that they even demand censorship for japan only releases.

SIE is basically an American company at this point.

Last edited:

FMX

There was a rumor on Reddit that Microsoft was closing the deal to buy all of the IP's from Konami. Per what I read, the deal was nearly done. This was earlier in the week/late last week when I read this. It was really detailed. I didn't hear about it any where else. These are the rumors that I read--not saying that they are true. They were a little more detailed that the standard rumor that you hear.

"According to TechPlusGame.com, however, a leaker on Pastebin stated that Microsoft had already finalized a sale of not only Silent Hill, but also all of Konami's franchises, including Metal Gear and Castlevania. The Pastebin document also laid out other alleged terms, like Microsoft's obligation to pay royalties on any remasters and Konami's right to build new gambling machines based on its properties. Microsoft will, however, be allowed to keep all profits from any new and original games, and select potentially laid-off employees in the event of a sale to form a new Japanese based studio. In the first 12-18 months of this deal, Konami has apparently allowed Xbox Games Studio Tokyo to act as a "satellite office." "

and this one

"Tonight between 10PM and Midnight (est) Microsoft will finalize the purchase of the entire gaming catalogue from Konami. The deal they've been working towards is so expensive for Microsoft that it will single handed fund a new manufacturing facility Konami has been wanting build to focus on new R&D for gambling devices. Microsoft will have to keep paying royalties back to Konami on all games that Konami originally released, including future remasters. Only new games, made from the ground up, will be fully profitable for Microsoft. Konami will also retain the rights to create new gambling hardware based on any previously adult (M-rated) themed game they've released. In the deal Microsoft will be able to select a team from potential layoff employees after the sale to help found a studio in Chou City. Konami will allow for the current "Xbox Games Studios Tokyo" as a satellite office for 12-18 months on the second floor of their current headquarters in Chou City while Microsoft finalizes their plans to move to, or construct, their own studio space."

Last edited:
uhm, dude... Sony is by far the most aggressive company out there when it comes to pushing american wokeness. they go so far that they even demand censorship for japan only releases.

SIE is basically an American company at this point.

True, Sony is no good either and if they were to obtain these IP, there's no guarantee one or more of them wouldn't end up with one of their US devs. But alternatively, if this stuff ends up with Kojima productions it MIGHT be okay.

Also, MS is just as, if not even more woke if you've seen their comments here and there. You'll see it all bubble up the moment they take pole position next gen.

Redefine07

Sony will bait MS to buy them , they don't worth any money you better invest that in studios you got for new IP's....

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If MS bought the IP's then Sony would just head-hunt all the Japanese talent responsible for creating them that they don't have onboard already, which considering they have Toyama and Kojima, isn't actually that much.

Gargus

Banned
IF this RUMOR were true I hope it goes to Sony. They are the only ones capable of using the properties correctly. Microsoft would just fuck it all up.

Sota4077

Konami still leverages their IPs for pachinko and stuff. Would make more sense to contract certain IPs out to the highest bidder for a fixed number of games i.e. Microsoft gets to make 2 Silent Hill games and 1 Metal Gear game under such-and-such contract terms.

Read the BS Pastebin link. They specifically address that exact thing. For the record I think this is all absolutely BS.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Not sure why people are so adamant Konami will never let go of their gaming IP.

They must know a different company. One that actually cares about gaming, than the one I know 😉.

I'm curious about this too. If Konami isn't doing anything with the IPs why would they hold on to them so tightly instead of getting a shit ton of money for them?

Vawn

Banned
I seriously doubt it. Just a bunch of unfounded rumors playing against themselves.

Konami is much more than a gaming company and they use these IPs for plenty of things outside of gaming.

dilbag

I would like to see a new castlevania and contra titles that are good.... metal gear would have to be completed rebooted for it to work.

Top Bottom