• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Head of Xbox Phil Spencer Reportedly Wanted the Gears of War Franchise to Have More Horror Elements

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Nonetheless, Spencer has expressed key interest in returning the series to its roots, even all the way back in 2014. CliffyB even suggested as much in a recent episode of the Xbox Era podcast, noting when the hosts suggested that Gears of War should bring back the horror elements, he was in complete agreement that these elements should be revisited in future games, regardless of any creative challenges that may arise (such as with the ending of Gears of War 5). Per Bleszinski's comments:

"That was Phil Spencer's main note when Microsoft acquired Gears of War IP. When he was talking to Rod Ferguson he said let's get back to the horror stuff."

sainraja

I didn't find the first game to be "horror" but from looking at trailers, that is what I was expecting. Gears of War should have stuck with the horror-esque aspects.

Kacho

Gold Member
That’s how they presented Gears 4 when it was revealed. Then the game dropped and it was full of bright, colorful levels, robots and giant mecha.

Gears 5 went into full Marvel mode with the quips and they focused on the most boring character of all time.

Maybe they course correct in Gears 6? Still waiting to see who they officially kill off. lol

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Well that certainly doesn't reflect in 4 or 5, outside that one chapter in 5 I guess.

i never really though of gears of war as being “horror”, i mean the characters always looked cartoony proportioned and you’re running around with chainsaw guns.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
i never really though of gears of war as being “horror”, i mean the characters always looked cartoony proportioned and you’re running around with chainsaw guns.

Act 3 in Gears is a good example of action/horror. You still have all the same tools, chainsaw gun etc, but the tone of the game takes a slower-paced intrigue/suspense turn with your characters not really knowing what they're dealing with for a part of the chapter.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I whole heartedly agree. Kill the colors and give me grim. More importantly to me though, and I understand that for many people it's what makes gears... well gears, but I wish they would move away from the current tank like controls. I've always found the feeling of the game to be awkward.

Varteras

Gold Member
The first Gears was my favorite because there was so much mystery and the situations I was facing were almost out of a horror movie. For me, the Kryll and the Berserkers just set a tone. Instant death at the hands, or teeth, of something I couldn't conventionally fight and had to deal with in very particular ways. Wondering if one of those creepy Corpsers would pop out of the ground. Sure there was action to break that kind of tension and replace it with a different kind, but I felt like Gears was at its best when it was closer to those horror elements. Much the same way I feel about the Riddick movies.

Put it another way. When gears is about an army fighting unexplained monsters it is way more appealing to me than when it turns into two armies fighting.

Last edited:

SteadyEvo

Gears 6 would need to be a complete reboot with a horror/survival horror focus. Fresh characters and a new story. Either that or lay the series to rest. No more open world crap or fighting robots 🤖

Rac3r

Microsoft fumbled this IP badly. They can't go back and do a prequel of the pendulum wars (pre emergence day) because it'd be a much less interesting story without the locust...and the locust war has already been thoroughly covered between Gears 1-3, Judgement and Tactics. Even if they returned to the locust war, it'd lose all impact as we know how the story ends.

Their one shot was creating a new threat (swarm) and a new cast of characters (JD, Kait, etc), but they completely botched it. They deviated from the tonality that made Gears mysterious and unique, while keeping the same core gameplay mechanics (yawn). Other than graphically (Gears 4 and 5 look great), they failed to push the series forward, and essentially created the b-version of a once great franchise.

The state of Gears actually reminds me a lot of Mass Effect (Andromeda).

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Instead we got a bunch of hipsters driving around a boring open world making Marvel jokes.

So you are saying Phil got his wish?

nba-jimmy-butler.gif

Shakka43

I wish he had pushed harder for it cause 4 & 5 are kinda trash. I didn't even finish 4 after getting bored of shooting stupid robots.

Microsoft fumbled this IP badly. They can't go back and do a prequel of the pendulum wars (pre emergence day) because it'd be a much less interesting story without the locust...and the locust war has already been thoroughly covered between Gears 1-3, Judgement and Tactics. Even if they returned to the locust war, it'd lose all impact as we know how the story ends.

Their one shot was creating a new threat (swarm) and a new cast of characters (JD, Kait, etc), but they completely botched it. They deviated from the tonality that made Gears mysterious and unique, while keeping the same core gameplay mechanics (yawn). Other than graphically (Gears 4 and 5 look great), they failed to push the series forward, and essentially created the b-version of a once great franchise.

The state of Gears actually reminds a lot of Mass Effect (Andromeda).
Couldn't have said it any better. Thank you!

Banned
Full creative freedom.

Calm down guys It's just a joke

this, but unironically...
it's becoming a bad thing. he has to tighten the fucking leash soon or things will spiral out of hand with some studios.

letting everyone just do whatever isn't something that's a great plan for long

ZoukGalaxy

Gears 1/2 are definitely the best, if he meant by horror going back to these roots, then, for once, I 100% agree with him.

Beechos

Im not sure how you can do horror with gears. Big beefy soldiers dudes with big ass guns. Maybe like the horrors of war and battle they can portay. The original drab/dark/gritty artsytle gave it a horror set type of vibe but i didnt feel horror in the original gears games myself.

Maybe a story where you are a civilian caught it a warzone trying to escape or freed from one of those pods and trying to escape out of the undeground hive?

Chukhopops

CliffyB doesn’t know shit about Gears since he sold the franchise 9 years ago.

He’s just trying to get a job back on the franchise and not even hiding it.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Phil is right. Gears was at its best with Gears 1 and 2 which leaned way more into the horror side of things.
I was asking for this going all the way back to Gears 3. I didn't find the lambent scary or the enemies in Gears of War 4 I forget their names besides the DeeBee robots

Pimpbaa

Just recently replayed all the Gears. Really miss the horror-esque over the top bro ridiculousness dark grimmy game.

- Not every game has to be open/semi open world.
- bright full of colors doesn't equal better.
- No one cares about JD and the hip kids.
- fighting robots is literally the most un-interesting thing in any game.

I dunno about robots. A proper Terminator game would be awesome. But yeah the robots in Gears suck for sure.

Top Bottom