• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is my PS5 fucked?

Bojji

yes if you get those kind of things with different games it could be that, got the same on MARIO 64 on Wii (e shop version) it was the GPU.

But other games might not put enough stress to show it. For example if you OC GPU on pc some games will show artifacts and some won't. This problem will probably progress and show in other games eventually.

Seems like fucked memory chip

I think memory artifacts look different but i could be wrong here.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Looks like GPU is

But other games might not put enough stress to show it. For example if you OC GPU on pc some games will show artifacts and some won't. This problem will probably progress and show in other games eventually.

I think memory artifacts look different but i could be wrong here.
It depends, because memory artifacts can manifest themselves in various ways. I based that on that he said that other games are crashing, which make sense, since the memory isn't ECC, so any deviation can cause crash.

FritzJ92

Had the same issue when I overclocked my. Gpu. Putting it at stock speeds fixed it.

My guess if it’s just one game then it’s game specific, but if other games then it’s GPU.

I would test Astro not (not demanding, and then play Returnal). If it only happens on demanding games then your gpu is on its way out.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Did you put the PS5 in safe mode and check for updates that way or some sorta diagnostic? I’ve encountered fragment artifacts (cool name, but they suck) with monitors before. I can’t actually remember what resolved it. Swapping cables doesn’t do any good? I wonder if something needs to reseeded or reinstalled. Did it fall off a table? Lots of questions, but I’d start that support line. Otherwise local places use to repair 360’s/PS3’s years ago. Someone in town might be able to fix it if Sony doesn’t want to cover it. Yeah, best answer is they’ll cover it like others have stated.

I forgot IT 101. Did you try another TV?

Last edited:
Hope you're a playstation star customer. :messenger_grinning_squinting:
Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN
Cracks Me Up Steve Harvey GIF by ABC Network
Happy Cracking Up GIF by MOODMAN

I Master l

Banned
Probably its the VRAM, Gamers Nexus has done a in depth look at the thermals and conclusion is that
the memory is running too hot at around 95 degrees which may lead to this kind of graphical artifacts.
Make sure you get the CFI-1200 model next time

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

IF this was a day one PS5 and its failing, then i have zero hope for the newer models with more heat and less heat sink ( especially the 1100 model lol ).

Thankfully, there are not many busted PS5 consoles. otherwise, forums will be full of them / the media won't have mercy.

3liteDragon

Thanks everyone, I’ll try and reinstall the game and hard reset the console before contacting Sony.
Yea that one's a goner, what CFI model do you have?
6 crashes in the span 90 minutes isn't good. I don't think mine has crashed once.
The only time mine even crashed was when I was playing the Modern Warfare II beta & that was the first time it happened with a game, nothing after that so far.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Yea that one's a goner, what CFI model do you have?
I will check once I’ve backed up my Elden Ring save to a memory stick later and can disconnect the console. All I know right now is that it’s a 1000 model.

Silver linings and all that; if Sony replace it for me I’ll most likely be getting the 1200 model as a replacement.
Did you put the PS5 in safe mode and check for updates that way or some sorta diagnostic? Swapping cables doesn’t do any good? Did you try another TV?
I will try all of this today, thanks.

Did it fall off a table?
Absolutely not, it’s pristine with plenty of ventilation (open desk).

Banjo64

cumsessed
Well, Sony want £240 to process the repair.
I have used this console for less than 200 hours and have only played Astro, God of War, Stray, Lost Legacy, Crash 4 and 15 hours of Elden Ring.

Guess that’s me out of the PS ecosystem until I can get a used PS5 for £100 at the end of the generation and all of the games are £10.

Last edited:

adamosmaki

Before going on about replacing your ps5 try a new hdmi cable first. Hdmi cables going bad can cause alot of those issues. And get a quality hdmi cable(by quality i don't mean those overpriced£100 cables).
Also it wouldn't hurt getting a compressed air can and try to clean your ps5 from dust inside

Three

I have used this console for less than 200 hours and have only played Astro, God of War, Stray, Lost Legacy, Crash 4 and 15 hours of Elden Ring.

Guess that’s me out of the PS ecosystem until I can get a used PS5 for £100 at the end of the generation and all of the games are £10.

Disgusting.
That sucks. If you are under warranty pressure them to replace it. Make sure it is in fact the PS5 that's fucked aswell. Turn off any "forced" compatibility settings too like 120hz or hdr and reinstall.

Before going on about replacing your ps5 try a new hdmi cable first. Hdmi cables going bad can cause alot of those issues. And get a quality hdmi cable(by quality i don't mean those overpriced£100 cables).
Also it wouldn't hurt getting a compressed air can and try to clean your ps5 from dust inside
This is very unlikely to be a hdmi artifact. It doesn't seem to be the connection that's the issue.

Last edited:

GHG

How do they know it needs repairing when they haven't even run diagnostics on it?

Tell them to eat shit until they can figure out what is actually wrong with your unit.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

That sucks man. You don't have 3 years "complaint time" in the UK? We do here in Sweden. That doesn't mean 3 years warranty, but basically if it's obviously an original problem not caused by you they still have to fix or replace it. And I believe here your case would probably be handled according to that.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
How do they know it needs repairing when they haven't even run diagnostics on it?

Tell them to eat shit until they can figure out what is actually wrong with your unit.
You just complete a form online, enter your serial number and model number and select the ‘picture problems’ entry.
That sucks. If you are under warranty pressure them to replace it. Make sure it is in fact the PS5 that's fucked aswell. Turn off any "forced" compatibility settings too like 120hz or hdr and reinstall.
Yeah going to try everything first and if it is completely fucked, I’ll just use it until it’s completely dead, pay for a repair and then sell the replacement unit.

I thought you bought it 4 months ago? This is bullshit. They have to send you a new one or repair it for free by law, or is it different in Brexitland?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

That's rubbish. Will they do a free diagnostics first?

Do you have a decent PC?

Banjo64

cumsessed
pretty sure the UK has the same consumer protection laws (largely) as the EU, so Sony would be required by law to replace anything that breaks within 24 months
I couldn’t find a live chat earlier but I will get on it again now.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
pretty sure the UK has the same consumer protection laws (largely) as the EU, so Sony would be required by law to replace anything that breaks within 24 months

Hmm, that's not a thing as far as I know. At least here in Sweden I know it's 6 months warranty by law (but most companies voluntarily extend that to 1 or 2 years), and after that another 2.5 years "complaint period" (not sure what the English name is). The main difference is that during the warranty period the company has to fix or replace the product unless they can prove you caused the damage through improper or careless use, while for the rest of the 3 years it's up to you to show that it's an original fault.

That said, I'm pretty sure Banjo's problem would be handled.

Last edited:

Banned
Hmm, that's not a thing as far as I know. At least here in Sweden I know it's 6 months warranty by law (but most companies voluntarily extend that to 1 or 2 years), and after that another 2.5 years "complaint period" (not sure what the English name is). The main difference is that during the warranty period the company has to fix or replace the product unless they can prove you caused the damage by improper use, while for the rest of the 3 years it's up to you to show that it's an original fault.

that is weird...
European Directive 1999/44/EC says all EU countries have to ensure a retailer could be held liable for all "non-conformities" which manifest within two years from delivery.

but I mean, if the GPU is dead then it's clearly a manufacturing fault anyways

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
that is weird...
European Directive 1999/44/EC says all EU countries have to ensure a retailer could be held liable for all "non-conformities" which manifest within two years from delivery.

That's probably the thing that here in Sweden is extended to three years. So it's not as strong as a warranty, but yes, the retailer is accountable for issues not caused by the buyer (although usually they will just direct you to the manufacturer).

skit_data

I had a similar wierd graphical issue once when playing AC Origins but it never happened before or since so I assume it was only the game itself.

Edit: Also had a noisy picture once on PS3 and that turned out to be a faulty HDMI cable, but it was all over the picture and didn’t really look this way.

Last edited:

Z O N E

4KWN7PF.mp4

This has started happening in my last 2 Elden Ring sessions in separate locations.

Is it the GPU?

I can’t find any issue online for just Elden Ring screen distortion.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the game JUST IN CASE.

If it's still like that, it's time to contact PS5 customer support.
(hope you have the customer service pass that comes with level 4 Playstation Rewards.)

ahtlas7

Are the fans spinning up properly? Make sure all ventilation/heat dissipation parts are clean. This could be a heat issue. Maybe.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Yup , had a 5700xt do the exact same time but a lot more of it .. right before it completely died.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I bought one of the uncharted ps4 back in the day, did this but much worse day one. Yeah it’s fucked. Hope u can get replaced.

Patrick S.

Banned
You just complete a form online, enter your serial number and model number and select the ‘picture problems’ entry.
I guess that process lands you in the "problems with the HDMI-Port" category. PS5's HDMI ports are very prone to breaking when you look at the HDMI cable with a mean face. I think you need to get on the phone or social media with them.

Sony customer support is the worst, man.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I guess that process lands you in the "problems with the HDMI-Port" category. PS5's HDMI ports are very prone to breaking when you look at the HDMI cable with a mean face. I think you need to get on the phone or social media with them.

Sony customer support is the worst, man.
I tried it again but lied and said it was shutting down due to overheating - still £240.

Top Bottom