• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is my PS5 fucked?

Banjo64

cumsessed
4KWN7PF.mp4

This has started happening in my last 2 Elden Ring sessions in separate locations.

Is it the GPU?

I can’t find any issue online for just Elden Ring screen distortion.

Fredrik

Looks like a graphics bug. I had a broken Wii GPU, it had black pixel noise but this looks like polygons misbehaving. Maybe shadow related?

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Yes, however the last game I played (Stray) had a spell where the PS5 crashed around 6 times in an hour and a half.

Crash 4 was flawless.
I platinumed stray and it never crashed once.

If the artefacting is getting really bad I would contact support and see what they say. But if it’s mainly in Elden ring, it could just be some From Software jank.

I assume it’s a launch PS5? Hopefully if it is broken it will not cost too much to repair. I am now well out of warranty with my launch PS5 but it has never given me any issues so far.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I once had graphical glitches in AC Origins.

I feared my GPU was dying with weird lines everywhere while my gf didn't have it.

I guess it could be related to the game if you don't get it in other games.

You getting crashes in stray could also be concerning though during visual spells.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I once had similar graphical bug when my old GPU was over heating. It might not be it though. Is your ps5 really dusty?

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I platinumed stray and it never crashed once.

If the artefacting is getting really bad I would contact support and see what they say. But if it’s mainly in Elden ring, it could just be some From Software jank.

I assume it’s a launch PS5? Hopefully if it is broken it will not cost too much to repair. I am now well out of warranty with my launch PS5 but it has never given me any issues so far.
I also never crashed on Stray.
My launch ps5 had crash to a green screen issue with all games and I was lucky enough to get one through warranty….but what you got going on is definitely not normal.

Yerd

First thought would be overheating. Try something to get more airflow and see if it stops. Open the case, put an outside fan on it. If it's ramping up the amount of times it occurs, could be going dead.

On PC, I have had SSD issues where the drive disappears. Old style SSD and the new NVME. I don't recall if the artifacting was happening on the lastest NVME drive I had do this, but it could be a consideration if you have an add-in drive. Some of these brands have less than quality.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
If problems happen across multiple games, then yes you might be dealing with a dying PS5. As always I'd try to do whatever you can to make sure it's not something you can fix on your end - Is the ventilation on the PS5 clogged with dust? If so, use some compressed air and clean it out. When you experience these glitches, is the PS5 particularly hot? Next, I'd give it a hard reset just to make sure. If the problem persists, then yeah I'd assume it's an internal issue.

Damigos

Open it, blow it from the holes.
Delete everything, reinstall OS etc.
Also make sure your PS5 can breathe, dont block it with sh*t around it

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Definitely looks like a failing GPU. Highly unlikely that a corrupted install or similar would cause these specific visual issues.

Sorry.

I've been through the same, but with a PS4 Pro. It came broken, games would have visual artifacts all over, like pixelated "noise". Sent it back, got a new one on which all games crashed after a few minutes. Garbage quality control. The third one finally worked fine.

DaGwaphics

This looks very similar to what happened to a 9800GT I had years ago when I didn't notice that the fan died. Does your PS5 still sound the same, no loud fan noises or anything like that? Hopefully it's just a glitch in the software.

How much do sony charge to repair or replace an out of warranty PS5? I'm curious, just in case my PS5 has a problem now that it's out of warranty.

Top Bottom